Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
    I'd like to apologize to all Samandans, as I fear I ruffled some feathers with my spirited defense of Sam yesterday.

No offense was intended on any level and I still love and appreciate everyone here and all debates and opinions expressed, whether I agree with them or not.

I hope I am still welcome to post and participate...I'll do my best to reign in my knee-jerk reactions.

So just if I ticked you off inadvertently - whoever and anybody in that category to whom that may apply...I truly am sorry if I offended.

((((((((((CITIZENRY OF SAMANDA))))))))))
    No need to apologize, Uber! This has been a very spirited and healthy discussion... with only a modicum of ranting for flavor! I can't speak for everyone, but you certainly haven't ticked me off. Besides, you post such great pics!

To Binkpmmc, ForeverSG1, UberSG1, MajorSal and all of the rest who have posted lately and participated in this recent fervent discussion, I echo Uber's hugs ((((((((((CITIZENRY OF SAMANDA)))))))))). I am glad that there is the freedom of expression... without nasty venom and accusations - and there definitely *is* a distinctive difference between frustration and venom... I made the mistake of visiting an anti-ship thread a few days ago (sorry, curiosity got the best of me)... and wow! Talk about venom and general nastiness. That's when I posted something that included a line about how great it is that even when we are frustrated and venting here on this thread, we rarely rip nastily into the other characters!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
      Oh, honey...

(((((((((Ugersg))))))))))

I can say with pride and certainty that we're a nice and open-minded group of ppl here. Just the fact that you were afraid you'd offended someone and had the integrity to apologize... you're more like Sam and Amanda than you think.

Sally
      ((((((((((majorsal))))))))))

btw, JM's online now if anyone wants to pose a Sam question...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
        I've been occupied elsewhere in an AU and am just now reading the past several pages regarding the whole Sam arc for S7 and S8. All of the recent long and thoughtful posts, especially AstroG, Kat, and Bink, have made excellent and respectful points of their own perceptions and opinions on just what seemed to be happening to Sam.

Bink, you know that you and I really turned this around a lot way, way back on the "why Pete is so hated" thread and I was feeling just as angry and thought that TBTB had really done a disservice to the character. At the time, seeing how she let herself be manipulated by Pete was painful to watch.

But time kinda heals all wounds ... and I think, once TPTB started to realize that we fans and "our issues" were naming valid concerns, they began to rethink where they were taking Carter by the end of S8. At least, that's my current opinion on the subject.

I think it may have been a learning curve for everyone - fans and writers and even AT herself. She certainly wanted them to reveal more about what makes Sam tick ... but, tellingly, in one of her last interviews (S8 end-of-season?), Amanda says that Carter has had some major losses and had to make some "solid" decisions (including the breaking up with Pete) ... I would have never thought she'd agree with that plot development from her earlier enthusiasm over the new boyfriend. Most importantly, she states that she wants to see more of "Lt. Colonel Samantha Carter" taking command, planning missions, etc. It looks like the pendulum is swinging back to the better balancing that Astro has described. So, I'm hopeful for S9 and for a more mature Carter to return - knowing much more about herself and her vulnerabilities from her ups and downs of S7 and S8.

Again, as has been said ... she's no longer the wide-eyed and somewhat naive young scientist-soldier of the earliest seasons ... she has taken some hard knocks ... she's also opened herself more to life in general with all its heartaches and disappointments ... but she's still the same scientist and soldier underneath it all. I agree that the other characters have overshadowed her regarding capabilities and responsibilities, and that's what needs to be corrected. Again, there was the lack of balance regarding the four characters.

The dance was so much fun to watch in the early seasons ... they were all in synch ... but the "tipping point" may have been RDA's reduced shooting schedule and their all being asked to do a heroic job of filling in the gaps and being overworked in the latter seasons. That's the one thing about S9 which still worries me: loss of Jack's presence and the new dance that must begin. Yes, it's time for Sam to take the lead!

I am totally hooked like most of you ... as long as Sam is in the show, I will keep watching. Bring it on! AT is still one of the best actors on TV and I can't think of "throwing the baby out with the bath water". Pardon the pun!
        What is it, really, about this actor and this character that has gotten us all so emotionally involved? Yes, we are a passionate bunch!

Good work, folks ... you have all really contributed some intelligent and substantive opinions on a very touchy subject.

I'm buying ... blue jello for everyone!!
        Fantastic post, Chopingal. And I'd say more intelligent things if my brain wasn't mush right now... definitely time for this one to go to bed!

And, here's some Royal Blue Jello for everyone:

Comment

And just 'cause I'm doin' such a bang up job with the NAME THAT EP! game, here's another one for you (that you'll all already know of course)...

NAME THAT EP!

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I'd like to apologize to all Samandans, as I fear I ruffled some feathers with my spirited defense of Sam yesterday.

No offense was intended on any level and I still love and appreciate everyone here and all debates and opinions expressed, whether I agree with them or not.

I hope I am still welcome to post and participate...I'll do my best to reign in my knee-jerk reactions.

So just if I ticked you off inadvertently - whoever and anybody in that category to whom that may apply...I truly am sorry if I offended.

((((((((((CITIZENRY OF SAMANDA))))))))))

Let it be known forthwith and forthright, that our Uber has been awarded the Samandan Good Citizen Award for courageously speaking her peace while acknowledging her fellow Samandans in a kind and prudent manner.

Once again, civility reigns in the kingdom of Samanda! Oh yea, what say!

Jester

Comment

Let it be known forthwith and forthright, that our Uber has been awarded the Samandan Good Citizen Award for courageously speaking her peace while acknowledging her fellow Samandans in a kind and prudent manner.

Once again, civility reigns in the kingdom of Samanda! Oh yea, what say!

Jester
              This is such a *cool* thread! We can discuss seriously, intellectually, passionately, and come away grinning. And Uber, you are special to us, don't ever think of leaving. We always need Good Citizens...

Comment

And just 'cause I'm doin' such a bang up job with the NAME THAT EP! game, here's another one for you (that you'll all already know of course)...

NAME THAT EP!
                http://www.powerpromoz.com/stargate/name8.jpg

Spoiler:
                ICON

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1

... since everyone has issues with things that have affected Sam over the past two years I was thinking we could maybe bring some of this to the forefront in a non-violent manner ( no biting, pinching, or name calling ).

Name your top five issues you have with Sam's character arc over the past two years. Try to be as specific as possible. Don't just say I hate that they have made her be so insecure and awkward. Please try to give specific instances. Like for me...

Affinity
                  Sam accepting Pete's proposal and kissing him during a mission really bugged the hell out of me. I didn't mind that she was kissing Pete nor did I mind that she was accepting his proposal (ok maybe it bothered me a little bit). But what bothered me the most was that she had been putting Pete off for over two weeks. Why couldn't she have waiting another hour until they got home or into the car? OMG! I was so totally excited to finally see Sam in charge and it all ended with a bitter taste in my mouth.

Maybe if we could see what types of things bother each other it would help us to understand each other's frustrations better.

Kat
                  Kat, this was a daring post and, it's way past my bedtime, but, what the heck ... I'll be just as daring and very honest in responding.

Chimera

The hot and heavy bedroom scene did it for me! Now, I'm no prude but my first reaction about that scene was "too much, too soon" and then I found myself quickly thinking about Stargate being a "family show" and how many young girls see Sam as a role model. I honestly felt uncomfortable thinking of parents watching that scene with younger children present and trying to explain just what Sam Carter was doing. I think a boyfriend for Sam could have had some wonderfully warm moments without the implication and complication of casual sex thrown into the mix. I've said this in other posts, but it's worth repeating: UST and the "mystery" of romance is such a classy way to treat a plot device like this ... the movies of the 40s knew how to convey quite a lot in a look, a touch, witty dialogue, and you didn't have to follow the couple into the bedroom. And, then, adding insult to injury ... Pete leaving her in bed and Sam looking distraught. Ouch ... wince ... one of those moments Bink and I waxed poetic over on another thread. Just not true to the essence of the character we came to know as Sam. Yes, you can argue the opposite as it being Sam's naivete and vulnerability but that still seemed to weaken her character.

Amanda, if you ever read this ... I do not mean to insult you, but I was disturbed by that scene because of the example it was showing to younger children. I've never seen anyone else bring this up though on the threads.

I hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot here because you all know how much I love Sam and AT!

Comment

Hi there, i just voted for the ultimate Sam episode and to get down to just one episode was
                    really hard but i've gone for Death Knell because in this one we see Sam putting her training to use that would help keep her alive we also see science Sam when you see her thoughts put into practice with the rocket launch. At the end the look on Sam's face when
                    the S.S took aim, she was beyond tired but she
                    face her end with resigned dignity and then alowed herself some comfort from Jack.
                    Amanda once again did a great job.
                    ......TARA......

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                      Spoiler:
                      ICON
                      Way to go Kat!

Are any of these presenting any kind of challenge, whatsover?????

Comment

Kat, this was a daring post and, it's way past my bedtime, but, what the heck ... I'll be just as daring and very honest in responding.

Chimera

The hot and heavy bedroom scene did it for me! Now, I'm no prude but my first reaction about that scene was "too much, too soon" and then I found myself quickly thinking about Stargate being a "family show" and how many young girls see Sam as a role model. I honestly felt uncomfortable thinking of parents watching that scene with younger children present and trying to explain just what Sam Carter was doing. I think a boyfriend for Sam could have had some wonderfully warm moments without the implication and complication of casual sex thrown into the mix. I've said this in other posts, but it's worth repeating: UST and the "mystery" of romance is such a classy way to treat a plot device like this ... the movies of the 40s knew how to convey quite a lot in a look, a touch, witty dialogue, and you didn't have to follow the couple into the bedroom. And, then, adding insult to injury ... Pete leaving her in bed and Sam looking distraught. Ouch ... wince ... one of those moments Bink and I waxed poetic over on another thread. Just not true to the essence of the character we came to know as Sam. Yes, you can argue the opposite as it being Sam's naivete and vulnerability but that still seemed to weaken her character.

Amanda, if you ever read this ... I do not mean to insult you, but I was disturbed by that scene because of the example it was showing to younger children. I've never seen anyone else bring this up though on the threads.

I hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot here because you all know how much I love Sam and AT!
                        i can't rep you, chopingal, so i just wanted to say that i'm proud of you for speaking your true feelings.

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Since my last, oh I don't know, NINE attempts to stump you have failed rather miserably, I'm afraid I am forced to make an addition to the game.

Okay...No longer will you just be able to NAME THAT EP! - you must now also NAME THAT SCENE!

NAME THAT EP and SCENE!

Comment

Since my last, oh I don't know, NINE attempts to stump you have failed rather miserably, I'm afraid I am forced to make an addition to the game.

Okay...No longer will you just be able to NAME THAT EP! - you must now also NAME THAT SCENE!

NAME THAT EP and SCENE!

OK... this is hard... I think it's
                            Spoiler:

Fragile Balance

and I think it's the scene
                            Spoiler:

where the stupid guys aren't listening to her right before Mini-Jack walks in.

Wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong, though...

Comment

Okay - another Guess the Ep...

However I must ban tsaxlady from participating...BECAUSE YOU'RE TOO GOOD!!!!! (On EDIT: This seems harsher than I intended...perhaps if you could just sit out this round...make me feel as though I'm presenting a challenge to somebody... )

Of course, no one has been stumped by my pics, so maybe I just need better pics...

At any rate, NAME THAT EP!

Spoiler:
                              Avenger 2.0?

Comment

Working...
                              X