No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well after posting that last picture I got the urge to watch Learning Curve again. I have to admit it's not one of my favorite episodes but it's really got some really nice Sam moments in it.

O'NEILL: Okay, fun is. What you do to make yourself happy. Like music, games. It's whatever you do when you're not learning to be a rocket scientist.

MERRIN: I'm here to teach Major Carter about the reactor.

CARTER: Sounds like fun to me!

O'NEILL: Whatever. Go ahead, knock yourself out.

CARTER: Okay, that's the converter, right?

MERRIN: The heating element.

CARTER: What? W...When did we talk about the heating element?

MERRIN: In the very beginning when I described the fodinaire.

CARTER: Oh man. It can't be this hard.

MERRIN: I will begin again.

CARTER: No, wait. Let's try this a different way. How about we break everything down into its most basic components? Let's start with the reactor casing. What's it made of?

MERRIN: The fodinaire attaches..

CARTER: No. I'm sorry Merrin. We'll get to that in a minute. Right now, I just need to know what materials make up the reactor casing. It'll have to block radiation so we'll make it lead lined. See? This is easy. And the casing material would have to measure..

MERRIN: What is that?

CARTER: It's a picture of me.

Merrin looks down. It's a stick figure with a bit of hair.

CARTER: Well, I know it doesn't exactly look like me, but it's just a basic representation. See, that's all I need from you- just a basic representation of the reactor's core.

CARTER: Come on! Why, why, why aren't you working?

CARTER: Almost. Once I ran a computer simulation based on your sketches, I thought I could adapt the design to my materials. But the current is being diverted before it reaches the core. I think the shielding might be diverting power.

MERRIN: Major Carter..

CARTER: Unless.. Hey, hey, hey! The trinium is absorbing the current.

MERRIN: Correct. All.

CARTER: Wait! Sorry, let me. Okay, by reversing the polarity..

She flicks a switch and it lights up.

CARTER: That's it! We're in business!

MERRIN: Why wouldn't you let me give you the solution?

CARTER: What would have been the fun in that?

MERRIN: Fun?

CARTER: Well yeah. Figuring something out on my own, especially if it's been eluding me a while. It's far more satisfying than having the answer given to me.

MERRIN: But not as efficient.

I really like this last scene. Sam's face just lights up when she realizes what she needs to do to get the generator running on her own and Merrin just can't seem to understand why Sam would go through so much trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
      Now there is no way I can pick just one... so I'll post my favorites...but I'll post them one at a time...

Here's one of my alltime favorite Sam-pics
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...hfromorbit.jpg

(ok, so *no* one was surprised by my first choice... )
      Okay - after giving it a great deal of thought, this has to be my very favorite shot of Carter...

Behold the FOOTHOLD idiot scene! It was when we got to really see how much moxy she has...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

There are so many great pictures of Carter it is hard to pick one. But I love to see the action side of Carter like in these shots

and then the great lens flare from the camera that was caught in this picture

My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
          There are so many great pictures of Carter it is hard to pick one. But I love to see the action side of Carter like in these shots

Hooah! I have to admit, Soldier!Sam does it for me too

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
            Hooah! I have to admit, Soldier!Sam does it for me too
            It's just so difficult to pick a favorite picture isn't it???? I tried shuffling in my mind a variety of different images that I enjoy for completely different reasons... ones with Jack, ones with the team, ones as a soldier, ones with her father...

The Foothold one just seemed to scream out at me though...

btw, thank you for reviewing my story AD! Now remember, I DID warn you about the shippyness in Darker Side, didn't I? But the story was worth it, no???

See, I'm of the opinion that SHIP is just another aspect of what makes SG tick. It's another flavoring....there's just so much there with the mythology, and the technology and the suspense... and I see each aspect as equally important. But I also feel that you can't overwhelm with any one aspect...they must work together! Too much ship and you've got a soap. To much technology and you've got no heart.

That's what makes SG such a great show IMHO....it does a good job of blending the variables....

Back to Sam though, I'm starting to come to the decision that Sam is the hero in almost every episode. I think I'll do a study on that in the future...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Caption:
              Sam: I go away for a few weeks and when I come back... you expect me to believe that Oreos are the galaxy's newest threat?
              OMG, that's funny!

As to what she was actually discussing at the time... uh... never mind.
              Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
              "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
              One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
              resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
              confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
              A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
              The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

*Great* screen cap to pick, Kat! What a wonderful expression on AT's face! And it sure stumped me as to which episode... Skydiver, once again, you amaze me with your astounding episode recall!

LOL

just goes to show that i need to get out more
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I pictured it as she was slowly rotating as she fell from the harvester... so that she entered the wormhold sort of 'on her back' (like someone might land at the bottom of a cliff) and then the 'rotational momentum' rotates her head 'downramp' as she exits the wormhole at the SGC. That said, however, the roll down the ramp doesn't quite make sense if you step through the frames (when her butt's on the ramp, her back should be to the guys, not the other way around) - I think they spliced together pieces of several filmed 'rolls down the ramp'.

... which reminds me of AT's own description of herself as a "would-be stunt woman" (found in Stargate SG1, The Illustrated Companion, S5 and 6):

"... I actually, for the first time ever in the history of six years of Stargate, got a stunt operator. I probably should have gotten some in the past because of the outrageous things I've done. You should see some of the ridiculous things I've flung myself at! ... You know, just once I would like to do a stunt where I didn't incur some sort of injury."

Later, she mentions that Dan Shea (Sgt. Siler) and Stargate's stunt coordinator "comes up and says, 'I've never worked with an actress who does her own stunts.' I say, 'Ya think I should stop?' and he replies, 'Yeah, Amanda, God is sending you messages.'"

"You know what? I think next time, I'll listen."

But I bet she didn't, and I bet she continued to throw herself into every episode thereafter ... it's just Amanda's nature to give 110% of herself to everything she does. Having a 9 lb 4 oz baby without drugs and intervention is just another example of that gal's spunkiness!
                  Last edited by ChopinGal; 07 April 2005, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Good Citizens of Samanda

We all know that our dear Royal Accountant (aka Coley) has been having great difficulty in returning to the kingdom because of a malfunctioning communication device. She has managed to forward a poem about her predicament and I shall post it here.

I wonder if they'll miss me
                    I wonder if they care
                    I wonder if the land is bankrupt
                    Because I cannot be there

I wonder if our President
                    Is back safely from afar
                    I wonder if the capture kids *
                    Are still raising up that bar

I wonder if the Jester
                    Is still merry without me
                    I wonder if our learners **
                    are swotting studiously ***

I wonder how they're celebrating
                    Astro's winning pair ****
                    I wonder what topics
                    Are currently on air

I wander lonely as a cloud
                    Oops, that's another ditty
                    But, indeed, I do ....

So, to all of you
                    I hope you're taking pity!!

* the capture kids are AstroG, Forever, and Uber for all their amazing screen and audio clips/captures
                    ** the learners are deepspace and Agent Dark
                    *** swotting = studying
                    **** winning pair refers to Astro's recent Samfic awards

I think I can speak for all Samandans when I say that not having our Royal Accountant in the kingdom lessens the glow! Her wit and wisdom are sorely missed.

I hereby nominate her poem for the prestigious Bean Arts Award. Considering my recent penchant for naming the wrong colour, I will allow Madam President to make the correct selection of bean for our Royal Bean Counter!

Let us hope that the purchase of a new communication device will soon bring her back into the fold.

Collegially,

Jester
                    Last edited by ChopinGal; 07 April 2005, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady

Welcome to Samanda, tsaxlady! We hope your stay with us will be pleasant and that you decide to become a citizen!

Jester

Comment

Caption:
                        Sam: I go away for a few weeks and when I come back... you expect me to believe that Oreos are the galaxy's newest threat?
                        ROTFL Hey, Astro, you keep this up and I'll think you're after my royal position!!

Jester

Comment

Oh Yea We Say Times News Flash Hot Off the Royal Press!

Informants have discovered a listing of the Royal Accountant's Liquor Cabinet which reveals the exotic brews sitting on the royal Samandan shelf. In an exclusive expose, we now bring you the tale of the ale ...
                          Behind the Bar

Golden Glory - in honour of the Queen, an award-winning premium ale, well balanced ... with a delicate floral aroma, refreshing, charismatic and absolutely glorious.

Dirty Dick - hmmm, we all know who the "Richard" in the Queen's life is ... a cheeky ale which could easily tempt you into bad habits!

Daniel's Hammer - a strong beer, has a well balanced hop character with a slightly dry aroma.

Goliath - delivers a powerful and challenging brew, full bodied and big on character. Are you brave enough to take on the towering might that is Goliath?

Circlemaster - conducts a melody of refreshing citrus and delightful malt flavour, rounded off with a spicy bittersweet finish.

Darest I say that I find myself humming the Stargate theme? And the list goes on:

Angel - in honour of the new Princess, an organic lager brewed to exacting standards.

Dark Lord - dark, delicious and delectable ... brewed to commemorate a courageous soldier who inspired his men with his never-say-die attitude. Sounds strangely like Agent Dark ....

White Shield - bottled live ale that matures with age ... carried by Agent Dark?!

Old Hooky and Black Sheep - strong ales of individual character ... for those absent posters and lurkers extraordinaires.

Old Speckled Hen - an ale of real character, finely balanced and named after an unusual speckled vintage car. We Samandans, however, know the truth: it was named after an unusual speckled bean found only in our fair kingdom! The Royal Hens have other assignations below ...

Old Fart - conceived in celebration of all the cantankerous old boozers who make life a misery. We all know one (or two or three), so let's drink to them.

Old Leg Over - uses only the finest local ingredients, slightly reminiscent of the three Royal Hens at the Gala event ....

Knocker Up - of supreme character with exotic ebony texture ... I refrain, whatsoever, from expounding upon this description ... use your own royal imaginations!

Old Peculiar - the original seal of the peculiar court of Marsham which allowed the local church to levy fines for a range of misdemeanours ... the Samandan Royal Court ? I shall have to research this with the Vicar.

Old Faithful - brewed to commemorate a dog who was found guarding his master's body, four weeks after his owner had fallen off a mountain. However, the term "old faithful" certainly lends itself to the loyal citizens of Samanda who continue to post at this thread!

Tribute - a fine, smooth ale that honours Madam Vice-President for starting this thread.

Kamikaze - a dangerously drinkable strong beer in honour of the Keeper's "Come Fly With Me".

Bitter and Twisted - the Royal Accountant, after being offline for three weeks and, with time on her hands, transcribing labels from bottles of beer!

Winter Warmer - an award-winning ale to chase away the winter blues ... can give your system a hearty boost! Just what the Royal Accountant has done for all of us by providing these very real descriptions of the ale found in her local supermarket.

Summer Lightning and Spring Breeze - behind the bar in celebration and anticipation of the forthcoming S9 season!

We hope you have enjoyed reading this latest scoop and discovering how closely these fine beers seem to describe our Stargate experience.

Cheers,

Royal Accountant/Editor and Court Jester
                          Last edited by ChopinGal; 08 April 2005, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Well as the Royal Nanny I found myself surfing the net this morning looking at all kinds of wonderful baby things. I came across a baby wall hanging that I thought was really cute so I decided to tweak it a bit for our royal heir.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                              Oh Yea We Say Times News Flash Hot off the Royal Press!

Informants have discovered a listing of the Royal Accountant's Liquor Cabinet which reveals the exotic brews sitting on the royal Samandan shelf. In an exclusive expose, we now bring you the tale of the ale ...
                              Behind the Bar

Golden Glory - in honour of the Queen, an award-winning premium ale, well balanced ... with a delicate floral aroma, refreshing, charismatic and absolutely glorious.

Dirty Dick - hmmm, we all know who the "Richard" in the Queen's life is ... a cheeky ale which could easily tempt you into bad habits!

Daniel's Hammer - a strong beer, has a well balanced hop character with a slightly dry aroma.

Goliath - delivers a powerful and challenging brew, full bodied and big on character. Are you brave enough to take on the towering might that is Goliath?

Circlemaster - conducts a melody of refreshing citrus and delightful malt flavour, rounded off with a spicy bittersweet finish.

Darest I say that I find myself humming the Stargate theme? And the list goes on:

Angel - in honour of the new Princess, an organic lager brewed to exacting standards.

Dark Lord - dark, delicious and delectable ... brewed to commemorate a courageous soldier who inspired his men with his never-say-die attitude. Sounds strangely like Dark Agent ....

White Shield - bottled live ale that matures with age ... carried by Dark Agent?!

Old Hooky and Black Sheep - strong ales of individual character ... for those absent posters and lurkers extraordinaires.

Old Speckled Hen - an ale of real character, finely balanced and named after an unusual speckled vintage car. We Samandans, however, know the truth: it was named after an unusual speckled bean found only in our fair kingdom! The Royal Hens have other assignations below ...

Old Fart - conceived in celebration of all the cantankerous old boozers who make life a misery. We all know one (or two or three), so let's drink to them.

Old Leg Over - uses only the finest local ingredients, slightly reminiscent of the three Royal Hens at the Gala event ....

Knocker Up - of supreme character with exotic ebony texture ... I refrain, whatsoever, from expounding upon this description ... use your own royal imaginations!

Old Peculiar - the original seal of the peculiar court of Marsham which allowed the local church to levy fines for a range of misdemeanours ... the Samandan Royal Court ? I shall have to research this with the Vicar.

Old Faithful - brewed to commemorate a dog who was found guarding his master's body, four weeks after his owner had fallen off a mountain. However, the term "old faithful" certainly lends itself to the loyal citizens of Samanda who continue to post at this thread!

Tribute - a fine, smooth ale that honours Madam Vice-President for starting this thread.

Kamikaze - a dangerously drinkable strong beer in honour of the Keeper's "Come Fly With Me".

Bitter and Twisted - the Royal Accountant, after being offline for three weeks and, with time on her hands, transcribing labels from bottles of beer!

Winter Warmer - an award-winning ale to chase away the winter blues ... can give your system a hearty boost! Just what the Royal Accountant has done for all of us by providing these very real descriptions of the ale found in her local supermarket.

Summer Lightning and Spring Breeze - behind the bar in celebration and anticipation of the forthcoming S9 season!

We hope you have enjoyed reading this latest scoop and discovering how closely these fine beers seem to describe our Stargate experience.

Cheers,

Royal Accountant/Editor and Court Jester
                              ROFL!!
                              In honor of the Royal Accountant and Jester's most entertaining issue of "Oh Yea We Say Times" I'd like to bestow the highly coveted 'Blue Jello' Award. Ok, highly coveted may be a bit of an exaggeration but it's pretty cool anyway. I give to you... the Blue Jello Award.

Comment

Hmm, I know this may sound weird but are most of our regular posters female? With AD representing our male contingents?
                                Between Agent Dark & myself that makes two. Surely there are others. Someone called for "able" men & probably don't qualify on that score. :-)
                                (But if they ever have an Olympic competition for couch potatoes, I've got the gold medal sewn up.)
                                Sam makes a slightly less than graceful return through the gate
                                Boy, she sure does bounce, though. And yells "Close the iris!" in that endearing, Rocket J. Squirrel upper register that Sam's voice goes into in moments of crisis.
                                Last edited by Carterslave; 07 April 2005, 11:06 AM.

Jr. Member, Gateworld Curmudgeon Club

Comment

Working...
                                X