No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ran across a great transcript of AT's appearance at an Australia convention from the time between seasons 6&7. Lots of good stories and a great sense of her personality. For those who might not have seen it:

http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.co...anscript.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
      Guess that episode

Rename the Episode
      Add a Caption
      Could the ep be
      Spoiler:
      S8's Lockdown?

Sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
        I ran across a great transcript of AT's appearance at an Australia convention from the time between seasons 6&7. Lots of good stories and a great sense of her personality. For those who might not have seen it:
        That was great reading, Jckfan! Thanks for posting the link!

These were a few of my favorite bits:

AT: Tomorrow I go on a Harley Davidson tour (with fist clenched in a 'yes!' kinda way!) of the city - which both Amanda *and* Sam are happy about

-------

AT: I'm a little stronger than I was when I started the show, and I'm able to stand up for myself a bit more. A *bit* (with finger a thumb raised to show a little *bit*). I work with very tall men, so you sort of learn (fist raised, looking up) 'grrr' (or however you write a grunting 'don't give me ****' sorta sound <g>). That's about as far as I get. Next year, *full* connection. (mimes a right hook)

AstroG's comment: LOL!

-----

AT: So when I got the Indian motorcycle for that one scene with the classic bike - and they originally had me digging in my garden... they said 'we need to see Sam doing something (a bit hard to understand) that's her own thing so we thought we'd have you digging in your garden. I said 'this woman spends half her time off-world, she doesn't have garden. She has, like, one dead basil plant in her kitchen window, and that's it. So I said 'can't she do something cool like fix a bike?' And they were like 'oh, okay'. And I said 'a classic bike'. And the props guys were like 'well, oh, I don't know'. And I said 'a classic Harley or Indian, that would be cool!' And they found this 1940 classic Indian motorcycle, so that's where it started. But I wasn't allowed to sit on it.

-------------

Audience member: In 2001, when Sam falls out of a harvester and down (something)... why didn't someone come and help her when she stacked (or something).....landing on the ramp or something.

Amanda: Thank you!! Thank you. Good question. And I did actually hurt myself, and I'm lying against this metal rack, you know, there's a metal step in the middle in middle of my... and I looked up at these three guys, and they all just stood there, and I'm 'Guys? Yoohoo!', And so they made a kind of a joke, amongst the three of them, that they all just stood around, and at the very end they said 'you all right?' They thought it was hysterically funny. But that was like Rick, Chris and Michael thinking it was hysterically funny... *not* O'Neill, Teal'c and Daniel. And I said to them, 'Guys, your characters would care.'

A lot of laughter.

Amanda: 'Come on!' But... they just didn't want to play. They were like 'yeah'. And the director said, 'One of you should try and help her up at least'. And of course their reaction was like 'No, no, she might have broken something, we don't want to make it worse! We should wait for the medical team to come in. We don't want to hurt her.' (pulls a face, like 'yeah, right') So, good question. I don't know the answer. If you run into them, ask them.

--------

Thanks again JckFan, for posting that link!

Comment

Sweet, thanks for the link jckfan

PS, Melbourne is *such* a better city than Sydney

Comment

thanks, jckfan55. This is a great interview. It shows AT's wonderful sense of humor!!

Finally voted in the season 8 poll. I found it a bit difficult to do in an odd sort of way compared to the other seasons. I really had to separate out AT's amazing acting from my favorite Sam storylines that I think illustrated Sam's strengths. I didn't need to do this separating as much for the other 7 seasons.

If I were to pick the best three for AT's acting, I would go with New Order (particularly part 1), Gemini, Reckoning I and II, Threads, and Moebius 1/2 Oops, way more than three . What can I say---AT's acting is superb in many of the episodes. She was able to show her enormous acting range in these episodes --- playing extremely tortured yet resourceful (I'll explain below), evil (plays evil deliciously well ), plays sorrowful yet strong, and then plays comical/geeky. Wow!! What a treat to see AT play so many different emotions and roles. I noticed alot of great specific comments from many fans about AT's wonderful acting, particularly in the last five episodes.

But now choosing three favorite Sam episodes, I'll have to go with New Order I, Reckoning II, and Threads.

New Order: I think Sam was very clever in how she dealt with Fifth's torture. Fifth was seeking revenge, plain and simple. He was torturing her for the sake of just punishing her because he felt betrayed---and not for any other reason such as for information, etc. How can she stop Fifth from continuing to torture her? Because Fifth has human emotions (although he is extremely immature), she tries to tap into any compassion he may be capable of---she tries to tap into the human capacity to forgive. I think that is why she pleads with him---she tries to make him feel some empathy. Otherwise, why would he stop? So I think she is actually clever and resourceful in this very dismal situation. Sam is resourceful and clever under tremendous pain.

Reckoning II: I liked Sam working with Jacob and Ba'al in this one. I like how she negotiated between Jacob/Selmac and Ba'al so that they could succeed in making an effective weapon against the replicators. Negotiating, highly focused Sam under extreme pressure to get the job done.

Threads: The relationship to Jacob is central to Sam's character, and I think this episode illustrated the depth and breadth of this father-daughter relationship. The interactions between the two were superb---for example, when Sam is irritated with Dad for mentioning having to go with Pete to order flowers ((priceless father-daughter interaction)), and the incredibly touching scenes near the end of the episode. This is one of my favorite relationships in Stargate--it has been since Jacob was introduced in Secrets. Loving daughter Sam who has made her Dad very proud.

If I could pick a fourth, it would be Gemini. I am not overly bothered by Sam being vulnerable here and making a major mistake. She was clearly remorseful about it at the end of the episode and in later episodes. She knew that she made a mistake and regretted it. Our heroes are not perfect, thank goodness. And who could not like her interactions with Teal'c!

Comment

[QUOTE=astrogeologist]-----

AT: So when I got the Indian motorcycle for that one scene with the classic bike - and they originally had me digging in my garden... they said 'we need to see Sam doing something (a bit hard to understand) that's her own thing so we thought we'd have you digging in your garden. I said 'this woman spends half her time off-world, she doesn't have garden. She has, like, one dead basil plant in her kitchen window, and that's it. So I said 'can't she do something cool like fix a bike?' And they were like 'oh, okay'. And I said 'a classic bike'. And the props guys were like 'well, oh, I don't know'. And I said 'a classic Harley or Indian, that would be cool!' And they found this 1940 classic Indian motorcycle, so that's where it started. But I wasn't allowed to sit on it. [QUOTE]

What a great suggestion from AT! Fixing a motorcycle fits sam so well--little things like this add soooooo much to a character.

I read on another thread that AT asked Jonathan Glassner (sp?) to give Sam something related to scifi for her character and that is how Jolinar came about. AT had some input into that story arc---clearly one of Sam's key and important story arcs.

I remember reading that JM said that Sam wouldn't use the healing device again because of what happened when she tried it on Daniel in Meridian. Well, but she could continue to learn to use the Goau'ld weapons like she used in Seth, as others have mentioned. She was capable of using it, even though she was frightened of the power she felt.

We need a good scifi story arc for Sam in season 9. Something that is unique to her, and key to the team's adventures.

Comment

I was just typing a note regarding AT and daughter and found myself smiling when I realized the baby's initials are OK. I'm not sure why I found it so amusing, must be the time of night.
                *blinks*

HAHAHAAA. I never realized that! Wow... *is much too sleep-deprived* That's brilliant! HAH, "OK" HAHA. I can see it now...

Random person to another random person: "So call me tonight?

Random back to random "Ok!"

Olivia: "What?"

*snort chuckle giggle*

Originally posted by tara3583
                LOL!!! Crikey never seen "Sam orgy" in a post before and it was a good job i had just finished drinking my coke before reading that last bit!

Hope Amanda posts a photo of little Olivia on her website
                Lol, I was going to say "Have you never read a shippy fan fic!?" But then realized you said "in a post". Lol, I admit, i've never either... Well, someone had to do it!

Although I can imagine our new member Samslave bringing something along those lines up

I hope we'll get to see wee Liv as well, but it's completely fine if we don't, either in a while, or ever. Amanda really likes her privacy, and i'm fine with that!

Originally posted by Carterslave
                Whoa! Three more pages overnight; you guys move fast.

Two words: Bo-ring. But it did have Sam in hip-hugging jeans when doing surveillance. Can't complain about that.

Sam & Jack were being pretty flirty on the phone. Plus, he assumes she's coming over to sample his beer-enhanced cooking. Pete? Pete who?
                I'll catch up with the rest of this later ...
                Lol, what did you think of some of her outfits in Chimera!? (Thinking mainly of the dress in coffee shop, then dress that night)

Pete? Whoever do you mean... *See's image of Sam walking zombie-like to jack's for...cooking....yees...*

I still cant figure out Photoshop. I've had it for a week now and I've decided to just stick with Paint Shop Pro.
                Nooooo!!! Never Give Up, Never Surrender! I stink at Photoshop too, but I will never go back to Paint. it's so... nothing, compared to PS!!!

Oh, and THANKS for the link jckfan!!!!!
                The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
                |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                  Finally voted in the season 8 poll. I found it a bit difficult to do in an odd sort of way compared to the other seasons. I really had to separate out AT's amazing acting from my favorite Sam storylines that I think illustrated Sam's strengths. I didn't need to do this separating as much for the other 7 seasons.
                  I had the same dilemma, chocdoc, and I was having trouble putting it into words succinctly - but you did a great job!

If I were to pick the best three for AT's acting, I would go with New Order (particularly part 1), Gemini, Reckoning I and II, Threads, and Moebius 1/2 Oops, way more than three . What can I say---AT's acting is superb in many of the episodes. She was able to show her enormous acting range in these episodes --- playing extremely tortured yet resourceful (I'll explain below), evil (plays evil deliciously well ), plays sorrowful yet strong, and then plays comical/geeky. Wow!! What a treat to see AT play so many different emotions and roles. I noticed alot of great specific comments from many fans about AT's wonderful acting, particularly in the last five episodes.
                  I agree wholeheartedly! They really 'worked AT' in Season 8.

-she played tortured and broken by Fifth (New Order)
                  -she played an evil supervillian in RepliCarter (Gemini and Reckoning)
                  -she played 'beside herself' in Gemini where she was both Sam and RepliCarter on the screen at the same time (Gemini)
                  -she played the continuing soap-opera drama (Affinity and Threads)
                  -and she got to play comedy with AU Geek!Sam (Moebius)

What amazing range and breadth... and.. simply.. what fun!

My 'favorite storylines that illustrated Sam's more typical strengths' were harder to define, because Season 8 mainly used Sam's character (and AT's acting) for other purposes.

Reckoning pt. 2 is my favorite Sam show of Season 8.
                  ->Sam gets to work with Thor and then Jacob, her father.
                  -> Loved the humor in this exchange
                  Sam: “Midday, the darkness is high in the sky”?! You sure about that?
                  Selmak: That is what it says.
                  Sam: It doesn’t make much sense.
                  Jacob: Yeah, well neither does, uh, (he looks at the clipboard) “the wind blows on the pillow” or “three days to the chicken,” but that’s what these phrases apparently translate into.
                  LOL!

->While working with her father, she gets to show some of her amazing mental flexibility as they work towards deciphering the heiroglyphics on the ruin walls. And then Sam gets to 'crack the code' - and I loved how CA showed Jacob watching her figure it out and then his pride in his daughter when she was done.

and then, of course, I loved this exchange.. a little fatherly pride and a little of Sam's desire to not be seen as so different from everyone else (even though she is)
                  Jacob: C’mon, Sam – it can’t be any harder than blowing up a sun.
                  (Sam looks irritated.)
                  Sam: Y’know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water!
                  (At that moment, the interface between the laptop and the Ancient screen begins to work.)
                  Jacob (smiling delightedly): There y’go!
                  Sam: Oh. Next up: parting the Red Sea.
                  You know. you blow up one sun…. – NC’s audio clip

-> Next we get to see Sam work with one of the series evil supervillians - Ba'al. She does what needs to be done - while her father and Selmak are recalcitrant.

Reckoning wasn't a 'Sam-centered' episode, but rather was a 'team episode', where all four of the original members of SG-1 were heroically fighting and contributing on different fronts. Sam was smart, strong and heroic. Reckoning, pt 2 is definitely my choice for the Season 8 episode which showcased the smart, strong, competent and capable Sam Carter that the series developed over the years.

Perusing the other Season 8 episodes, I can't identify another episode which showcases or features Sam the way that Reckoning pt 2 did. There were lots of Sam scenes in Covenant... and she got to fly - front seat , but this show truly focussed on the character of Colson, and Sam really played 'backseat' (or reactionary) to Colson. But I really did like seeing Sam in the front seat of the 302!

Other Season 8 episodes had a few nice Sam scenes or Sam moments, but they truly didn't showcase or feature strong-competent-heroic-scifi Sam. I really think that in Season 8, they used Sam (and AT) for 'other purposes'. Over the lifetime of the series, it's probably to be expected that some seasons will strongly (or favorably) feature a character while other seasons will be different. With that said, I am glad that AT is coming back for some of Season 9... Season 8 may have accomplished important things for the character of Sam Carter, but I wouldn't want to end the Sam Carter saga with Season 8.
                  We need a good scifi story arc for Sam in season 9.
                  Something that is unique to her, and key to the team's adventures.
                  Many have said it before (myself included), but I hope that Season 9 brings us some strong, heroic Carter episodes... I'm hoping to see that competent officer... in command... and leading well... I'm hoping to see Carter's character intimately involved with the scifi storylines... I'd like to see her character get 'scifi'd' like she did with Jolinar and Orlin... I don't want to see her Tokra'd again... but having her use some of the powers that she has from the naquadah and protein marker in her system - that would be cool. And I'm hoping that AT can maintain that warmer, softer side while projecting the competence and confidence of an Air Force Colonel. AT's probably the only actress that I've seen who can pull that off.

Chocdoc - I have downloaded and archived your Season 8 Sam highlights into the Season 8 summary list! Great job!
                  Last edited by astrogeologist; 02 April 2005, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Welcome back everyone! I've been putting together some screen caps and sound bytes from Season 8. This first group are some of the lighter moments from Threads.

First, Sam reacts to Pete meeting Jacob for the first time

Dialogue

Pete: This is great! You’ve really got one of those things in your head?

Jacob: If, by “one of those things”, you mean a two thousand year old Tok’Ra symbiont, yes.
                    Pete: Seriously?! Go on! That has gotta freak you right out sometimes! It’s weird!

Sam's expressions as her dad tries to "help".

Dialogue

Jack: Emergency?
                    Sam: No, no. Just a, um, misunderstanding.
                    Jacob: Hey, weren’t you supposed to meet Pete at the florists’ this morning?
                    Sam: No, Dad.
                    Jacob: No, I’m sure that’s what you said – for the wedding.
                    Sam : I know.
                    Jack: Go ahead, Carter. It’s supposed to be your day off anyway.
                    Sam: It’s OK, sir.
                    Jack: Well, Teal’c and Bra’tac are meeting with the Jaffa – there’s nothin’ to do around here. Go pick flowers.
                    Jacob: What?

Sam and Jack and Kerry at the cabin (I loved the way that Jack was spraying beer around I bet if AT's back hadn't been to the camera, we would have seen her trying not to laugh.)

Dialogue

Sam:… and if I don’t tell you now, I might never ...
                    Kerry: Jack, I looked everywhere – I could not find ... Colonel Carter.
                    Jack: Ms Johnson.
                    Sam: Yeah, I didn’t – I didn’t ...
                    Jack: We were just ... meeting here in my back yard on this fine day to discuss the state of affairs.
                    Kerry: Well, this is awkward!
                    Sam: Ya think?!

NC

Comment

[QUOTE=chocdoc][QUOTE=astrogeologist]-----

AT: So when I got the Indian motorcycle for that one scene with the classic bike - and they originally had me digging in my garden... they said 'we need to see Sam doing something (a bit hard to understand) that's her own thing so we thought we'd have you digging in your garden. I said 'this woman spends half her time off-world, she doesn't have garden. She has, like, one dead basil plant in her kitchen window, and that's it. So I said 'can't she do something cool like fix a bike?' And they were like 'oh, okay'. And I said 'a classic bike'. And the props guys were like 'well, oh, I don't know'. And I said 'a classic Harley or Indian, that would be cool!' And they found this 1940 classic Indian motorcycle, so that's where it started. But I wasn't allowed to sit on it.

What a great suggestion from AT! Fixing a motorcycle fits sam so well--little things like this add soooooo much to a character.

I read on another thread that AT asked Jonathan Glassner (sp?) to give Sam something related to scifi for her character and that is how Jolinar came about. AT had some input into that story arc---clearly one of Sam's key and important story arcs.

I remember reading that JM said that Sam wouldn't use the healing device again because of what happened when she tried it on Daniel in Meridian. Well, but she could continue to learn to use the Goau'ld weapons like she used in Seth, as others have mentioned. She was capable of using it, even though she was frightened of the power she felt.

We need a good scifi story arc for Sam in season 9. Something that is unique to her, and key to the team's adventures.
                      I wish they'd had continued with this for Sam. I wonder why they dropped it?

I'm going CRAZY!!! with no new Sam spoilers to get excited about! How can we plan and rejoice when we have no bloody idea about where Sam is even at, or what she's doing. Argh and double argh.

(I'm getting discouraged as a Sam fan and shipper, so please excuse the whining. )

Sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                        Welcome back everyone! I've been putting together some screen caps and sound bytes from Season 8. This first group are some of the lighter moments from Threads.

First, Sam reacts to Pete meeting Jacob for the first time

Dialogue

Pete: This is great! You’ve really got one of those things in your head?

Jacob: If, by “one of those things”, you mean a two thousand year old Tok’Ra symbiont, yes.
                        Pete: Seriously?! Go on! That has gotta freak you right out sometimes! It’s weird!

Sam's expressions as her dad tries to "help".

Dialogue

Jack: Emergency?
                        Sam: No, no. Just a, um, misunderstanding.
                        Jacob: Hey, weren’t you supposed to meet Pete at the florists’ this morning?
                        Sam: No, Dad.
                        Jacob: No, I’m sure that’s what you said – for the wedding.
                        Sam : I know.
                        Jack: Go ahead, Carter. It’s supposed to be your day off anyway.
                        Sam: It’s OK, sir.
                        Jack: Well, Teal’c and Bra’tac are meeting with the Jaffa – there’s nothin’ to do around here. Go pick flowers.
                        Jacob: What?

Sam and Jack and Kerry at the cabin (I loved the way that Jack was spraying beer around I bet if AT's back hadn't been to the camera, we would have seen her trying not to laugh.)

Dialogue

Sam:… and if I don’t tell you now, I might never ...
                        Kerry: Jack, I looked everywhere – I could not find ... Colonel Carter.
                        Jack: Ms Johnson.
                        Sam: Yeah, I didn’t – I didn’t ...
                        Jack: We were just ... meeting here in my back yard on this fine day to discuss the state of affairs.
                        Kerry: Well, this is awkward!
                        Sam: Ya think?!

NC
                        NC - these screencaps and clips are *wonderful*! I have to zip off right now, but when I get back later tonight, I will download and include your clips and photo into the Season 8 Sam-highlight summary list.

And, in the meantime, I send you, and to all denizens and patrons of the SaGC, some... blue jello!

And, I know that you're probably thinking that this is old, stale, left-over blue-jello from before the thread went down... but no! It's freshly cut-and-pasted!

Comment

let's see if the server will let me post this.

ok, since the forum was down, i'm gonna extend the sam poll until sunday sometime (which means whenever i get around to shutting it down)

now i have a question about the 'best sam ever' poll

originally my idea was to have a runoff of these 8 eps and see which one folks find to be the best

however it has been suggested that we have a poll of the top 3 of each season and let folks vote from that

what do you think?
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

and to celebrate gateworld being back up

new fic

www.geocities.com/sky_diver119/drama/stages.htm

sam focused, in a way, and set in and around death knell
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

More Threads
                              Spoiler space

Dialogue

Sam: Dad?
                              Jacob: He hung on as long as he could, then he slipped into a coma just after we activated the weapon on Dakara.
                              Sam: You’ve known all this time since then?
                              Jacob: I didn’t wanna spoil your wedding. Now, I thought we could make it.
                              Sam: “We”?
                              Jacob: He’s barely alive. I’m gonna die with him, Sam.

Dialogue

Sam: I love my job.

Dialogue

Jack: C’me here
                              Sam: Thank you, sir.
                              Jack: For what?
                              Sam: For being here for me.
                              Jack: Always.

NC

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                let's see if the server will let me post this.

ok, since the forum was down, i'm gonna extend the sam poll until sunday sometime (which means whenever i get around to shutting it down)

now i have a question about the 'best sam ever' poll

originally my idea was to have a runoff of these 8 eps and see which one folks find to be the best

however it has been suggested that we have a poll of the top 3 of each season and let folks vote from that

what do you think?
                                I'd say choose from the top 3 from each season. For some seasons the top 2 were pretty close, weren't they? So some people might want to choose an episode that didn't come out on top of the poll, but was still a strong contender.

NC

Comment

Working...
                                X