Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
    Well I spent the morning watching commentaries again today. During the one for Avenger 2.0, I found myself chuckling at Amanda's comments about herself being Stargate Barbie, and low and behold a new collage was born.

Hopefully everyone will see the humor in it and not be offended.

Stargate Barbie

Hope ya'll are having a great weekend!
    Kat
    Great! Consider this green jello. or Blue.

Comment

Bring in the big guns!!!

Hoo Yah! or some such military gung ho saying. One of my favorite soldier Sam moments.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
        Great screen cap panels, Kat!
        This is one of the standout scenes of the series in my memory!
        Carter is one of the team! You Go Girl!
        Thanks Astro!!!

Ok, here's something to think about while GW is down.
        Name all the episodes where Sam had a very small part,
        but had a great stand-out scene or made a really big
        contribution.

Here's my choices to start things off:

In Forever In A Day she got to shoot the big gun.
        In Warrior she demonstrated the P-90.
        In Homecoming did some major Jaffa butt-kicking.

Kat

Comment

I hope I'm not irritating people with all these pictures I'm keep putting up here. If you start getting sick of them, please let me know and I'll stop posting them. This is a photo manip I did of AT tonight. The small picture in the lower right hand corner is the original picture. I totally love this photo of Amanda. She's absolutely beautiful in the original, but boredom prevailed and I got carried away playing with different effects.

Comment

Well the forum move hasn't gone ahead yet. Probably next week sometime.
            Just checking to see if everyone's still alive and kicking

Oh btw, great pic there ForeverSg1

Comment

Cuz here's what I was thinking... what if Sam is out with the Daedalus for it's 'shake down' cruise? They wouldn't be going to Atlantis... they'd have some other shorter range goal for the ship's first real excusion. I like this idea a lot better than Sam going off to work with the Tokra at the beginning of Season 9!

Even better (in my book) would be if Col. Carter was the commander of the Daedalus for it's shake-down cruise. If they can promote Jack after only one year, they can do the same for Sam!... (and it would settle the 'who's in command' issue with Lt. CM... ).

I can dream, can't I?
              I keep thinking that the writers will have to explain the absence of two important characters at the beginning of Season 9: Sam and General Hammond (since Jack appears to be taking over his job at the Pentagon). Perhaps they're off doing something together. We've seen Hammond in command of the Prometheus before... It might serve the purpose of killing two birds with one stone, so to speak, and we've already seen Hammond pulling people away from Jack to serve with him.

And has anyone else seen the rumor that they're bringing back Teryl Rothery for an episode?

My LJ

Comment

Well I spent the morning watching commentaries again today. During the one for Avenger 2.0, I found myself chuckling at Amanda's comments about herself being Stargate Barbie, and low and behold a new collage was born.

Hopefully everyone will see the humor in it and not be offended.

Stargate Barbie

Hope ya'll are having a great weekend!
                Kat
                LOL Absolutely loved it! You've captured (pardon the pun) a certain "je ne sais quoi" about our lovely hero ... still LOL ... you are having fun playing, aren't you?! And that's what this thread seems to be about when we're not posting some serious discussion! Great job!

I really liked the audio commentary for Avenger 2.0 too ... it added even more to my enjoyment of the episode.

OT Just got back online I was without a functioning monitor for almost a week ... and, my goodness, Baby Tapping-Kovacs is certainly not in a rush to make his/her appearance!

Comment

it would be cool if teryl could come back. I know that writing her out was one of those 'dang, it was a good idea at the time' that came back to bite them in the bootie later, but the show needs a doctor. It's had one for so long that the absence is quite notable.

In a way i feel for Lexa Doig. She's got some big shoes to fill...however, it could also be interesting to see Sam interacting with a new doctor. it's been implied that sam and janet had a very close friendship (or more if you ask in certain places of the net ) and that they were both kind of mommies to cassie.

it's gotta be hard for sam to now have to work around/with a replacement

It would be very interesting to see if they deal with that.

will sam have any hostility towards the doctor (i don't really think so, but who knows), will they get along? will they be friends or will sam keep herself distant, not wanting to lose another friend
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Cuz here's what I was thinking... what if Sam is out with the Daedalus for it's 'shake down' cruise? They wouldn't be going to Atlantis... they'd have some other shorter range goal for the ship's first real excusion. I like this idea a lot better than Sam going off to work with the Tokra at the beginning of Season 9!

Even better (in my book) would be if Col. Carter was the commander of the Daedalus for it's shake-down cruise. If they can promote Jack after only one year, they can do the same for Sam!... (and it would settle the 'who's in command' issue with Lt. CM... ).

I can dream, can't I?
                    See ... I'm dreaming the same scenario. Sam mentions the Daedalus briefly at end of S8 and I think this would be a great way to have her exploring the galaxy or even farther as the reason for "professional reasons", but what about the "personal reasons"?!

It seems that RDA is committing to early episodes in brief appearances but nothing mentioned so far about the definitive episode of Sam's return. Come on ... the fishing was lovely ... but just how many fish are in Jack's pond? Will the writers just somehow hint at Jack and Sam being in touch while she's away? Inquiring minds want to know ....

Spoiler:
                    LOL I love the line in Moebius where McKay says "Gateship" and that whole part which obviously was more tongue-in-cheek about J/S ship ...

MajorSam have you returned from France yet?!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                      See ... I'm dreaming the same scenario. Sam mentions the Daedalus briefly at end of S8 and I think this would be a great way to have her exploring the galaxy or even farther as the reason for "professional reasons", but what about the "personal reasons"?!

It seems that RDA is committing to early episodes in brief appearances but nothing mentioned so far about the definitive episode of Sam's return. Come on ... the fishing was lovely ... but just how many fish are in Jack's pond? Will the writers just somehow hint at Jack and Sam being in touch while she's away? Inquiring minds want to know ....

Spoiler:
                      LOL I love the line in Moebius where McKay says "Gateship" and that whole part which obviously was more tongue-in-cheek about J/S ship ...

MajorSam have you returned from France yet?!

I like the idea of Sam in command of the Deadulas for the start of s9 and just seeing what is "out there" That way imho we get to see
                      Sam really command and see the next step in her
                      journey, also would love to see "Sam in the candy store" as she delves into science while "out there"
                      Really, really looking foreward to s9 Oh and it's nice to have the forum back as i relly missed coming here.
                      ......TARA......

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                        it would be cool if teryl could come back.
                        Yeah, it would. I really miss her character.

In a way i feel for Lexa Doig. She's got some big shoes to fill...however, it could also be interesting to see Sam interacting with a new doctor. it's been implied that sam and janet had a very close friendship (or more if you ask in certain places of the net ) and that they were both kind of mommies to cassie.
                        I confess that I really like reading Sam/Janet femslash, but it all seems so tragic now... I like the idea of exploring Sam's relationship with the new doctor, though. As you point out, there could be some interesting interaction there.

My LJ

Comment

So, I went back to see why I couldn't remember anything about Revisions... only to discover that somehow I had managed to skip it when I was watching my Season 7 DVDs. It was a bit like discovering a $20 bill in a coat pocket... Ooooo! Ooooo! It's a new Stargate episode!

I did like Sam's role in it. I think Daniel would have "linked up" if she hadn't made the comment that she didn't think it was a good idea due to possible incompatibilities between their brain physiologies. And I liked the fact that Daniel seemed to take his cue from her, and declined the offer... She was also the one to pick up on the fact that the dome's energy levels were dropping, and she was the first to suggest that the link was altering everyone's memory of things. I thought it was a fairly good Sam episode, actually.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                            I confess that I really like reading Sam/Janet femslash, but it all seems so tragic now... I like the idea of exploring Sam's relationship with the new doctor, though. As you point out, there could be some interesting interaction there.
                            i've read some, and while it can be good, a lot of it just really doesn't ring true to me. I know that i have a couple of stumbling blocks. first of all, i just dont' see them as gay.

jack, sam, janet, jonas i all see as firmly het. Daniel...i can see daniel experimenting or being more open to it and i can certainly see teal'c having a more open mind since, for all we know, bisexuality is common among jaffa (it has been among other warrior races, namely the spartans)

i think my other stumbling block is that the characters are often written far from how i see them. in a lot of slash fic, i see jack as this warm, loving, caring, sweet guy, when the jack o'neill that i see on the show can be that way...but he can also be a class a jerk when he wants to be.

in some of the femslash i see, janet and sam are both written far from how i see thier characters, so it's more of a charicture to me. Sam isn't sam carter, she's this gay female who sometimes lets her emotional attachment to janet override her normal behaviors and she's soemtimes written too butch for me

That's not to say it's bad, i know that sam/janet is an exceptionally popular pairing, it's just that the majority of the fic i've read have the characterizations so far off what i interpret as 'normal' that they're just hard for me to read

I do think, however, that it's absolutely fascinating that people can take one single scene adn interpret it so very many ways. it just speaks to the diversity of the viewership
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                              i've read some, and while it can be good, a lot of it just really doesn't ring true to me. I know that i have a couple of stumbling blocks. first of all, i just dont' see them as gay.
                              I have that problem with Jack/Daniel slash. Although, I have read a few J/D slash stories that I really enjoyed.

I don't think the show portrays any of the characters as anything but het. Daniel... oh, maybe, I suppose... But it doesn't take a lot of effort for me to suspend my disbelief to see Sam and Janet's firm friendship going... just a little farther...

That's not to say it's bad, i know that sam/janet is an exceptionally popular pairing, it's just that the majority of the fic i've read have the characterizations so far off what i interpret as 'normal' that they're just hard for me to read
                              I can see that. Some authors certainly do better than others, to my mind.

I do think, however, that it's absolutely fascinating that people can take one single scene adn interpret it so very many ways. it just speaks to the diversity of the viewership
                              Yup, yup.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal

Spoiler:
                                I'm really hoping we hear some type of spoiler regarding Sam's character soon...something more than she will be far, far away, because the more spoilers that come out, the more nervous I find myself becoming for Sam's character. Too many sites are implying Vala as a replacement for Sam and that AT's role may be much more limited this year. I know this is definitely a possibility with AT's new baby but I truly hope whatever time she does have that they do something great with Sam this year that will erase some of the negativity out there regarding Carter's character. It's very unsettling how many negative comments I have read just over the past two days of GW being down. I've only watched one or two episodes of Farscape so I can't truly compare it to Stargate nor make speculations as to what season nine will be like with so many new characters; however, I can honestly say I was not impressed with Prometheus Unbound and I really hope the show doesn't go towards this direction. I have liked many of the Daniel-centric episodes; however, this was not one of them. However, being a female viewer in my late thirties, I have a feeling I'm not truly the demographic for which they are aiming so I definitely won't be holding my breath.

At least we know now that RDA will be in two episodes next season so they will hopefully write-off Jack in a positive light, and if we are truly lucky they will give Sam an equally positive story arc regarding her absence.

Kat

Comment

Working...
                                X