Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chocdoc

Thanks to AT for bringing Sam Carter to life for a large audience to enjoy and appreciate!!!
    YES! There is NO ONE else that could play Sam Carter, period.

Sally, waiting with bated breath to hear that Amanda's had her baby

(((Amanda and Baby)))
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
      here is something I did for all of you at Samanda
      i can't green you, deepspace, so i wanted you to know that your 'samanda' pic is wonderful!

sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
        Sorry - I can't right now...I'm too busy working on "Eclipse," the follow up to "The Darker Side of Night" and if I don't finish soon, I'll have a lot of angry gaters at me!

For all you Sam fans out there that love seeing her get in a predicament (okay that's really an understatement there), give it a read, would ya?!?? And give a creative writer some feedback...

For those of you who are not into the whole J/S thing (that's fine, I love you too ya know), you won't like the first 15 pages or so but it sets up the rest of the story...so read it anyway and pretend you think Sam and Jack have genuine feelings for each other... The premise of the story's in my signature as a spoiler...

This ends the *Shameless Self Promotion* portion of the evening...
        lol, I skimmed through the first part of it, saw the Sam and Jack ship and promptly closed it lol. But if the rest of the story is not too shippy I might just give it ago...

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
          lol, I skimmed through the first part of it, saw the Sam and Jack ship and promptly closed it lol. But if the rest of the story is not too shippy I might just give it ago...
          Aww. Too bad you won't enjoy the honeymoon sequence. KIDDING, KIDDING!!! ( Sorry, bad shipper humor )

Okay I'd be lying if I said there weren't ANY shippy elements in it (conversational stuff) but with the situation they're in and how it ends up - well, let's just say shipping is fairly impossible at that point (at least for the time being)...

But even as one who doesn't appreciate ship (and that's cool with me - each to their own ) - I hope you'll admit that at the VERY LEAST having O'Neill around has lightened Sam up a lot and has been a positive influence on her character...

I'm thinkin' that's what Mitchell will do in part - be the humorous guy like Jack was... I don't think that there'll be any kind of conflict when she returns. I personally like her as the head of SG-1. My only problem so far has been that we haven't actually SEEN much of it...
          Last edited by Uber; 15 March 2005, 09:41 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Okay - here's another one:

- List the episodes where Sam is crying

- List the episodes where Sam is forced to McGyver something together...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I think I'm clear headed enough (came here before the shipper thread ) to make my comments on my fave Season 7 Sam eps.

Grace: I loved this ep so much. I loved seeing a vulnerable Sam, who was slowly falling apart physically and psychologically. It was interesting to see her slightly 'warped' versions of her friends, but that was do to her concussion (or was it?). My fave parts of this ep (which equal a LOT of parts that are too many to mention) are when she's talking to 'Jacob' in the messhall, and when she's sitting alone(ly), leaning against the bulkhead/wall, and Grace (and then Jack) comes in to talk to her. She looked so alone and lonely in that scene. She just gave up.

Separate from my mini review of the ep, I'd like to ask you guys if you think Sam was really 'not' alone on that ship? Do you think Grace was the cloud, or aliens on the other ship, or just made up in Sam's imagination?

Death Knell: Sam the lone survivor. Sam fighting for her life. Sam without food, water (that she didn't have to hunt down for), shelter, and first aide. Sam being hunted down mercilessly by a killing machine. Sam using her soldier skills, her survivor skills, and her intelligence to fight an unwinable foe. Sam losing the battle, but facing death with dignity. Sam dropping some of those walls and admitting she's whipped. Sam saying goodbye to her father, not knowing if she'd ever see him again. Sam surviving.

Heroes 2: Coupled with Heroes 1 (where we got to see a very happy and open Sam), Heroes 2 was the other side of the coin. She lost her best friend. She almost lost Jack too, so her feelings were in battle with feeling sadness and relief. The scene where she talks to Jack and breaks down was a tour de force for Amanda. Especially when she was hugging Jack; you could see every emotion and thought playing on her face. As a shipper, I was in heaven. As a Sam and Amanda fan, I was in awe. In the scene where Teal'c brings her his eulogy note; I liked seeing her have to go pick up Cassie - it showed the new responsibility that literally felll at her feet. When Sam stood at the alter, speaking of all the ppl that Janet had saved over the years... you could hear Sam's voice slightly breaking. Just a truly magnificent performance through out.

Lost City(s): Another chance for Amanda to show a magnitude of different emotions. I loved the scene where Sam went to talk to Jack at his house. She was *so* uncomfortable. One of my fave moments was when Daniel and T knocked on the door and she closed her eyes briefly in lost chance/defeat. Then when Jack put her in charge, and she tried again to tell him what she wanted at his house... I loved the look she exchanged with Jack; I felt it clearly showed she 'wasn't' really getting what he meant. Or more importantly, she wasn't sure 'he' got what she was going to say. Another missed opportunity that Amanda played wonderfully. And then when she begged 'Jack' to hold on... staring adoringly at him and placing her hand on the ice... She's *fantastic* at playing emotions without words.

Sorry I went on and on here.

Sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                how about her getting in jack's face in scorched earth? not wanting to set the bomb

or the light, their little shouting match on the beach?

... I did it again. I read quickly through this post and then did a double take... read 'getting in' as 'sitting on'....

Sally, diving in to le gutter
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                  I think I'm clear headed enough (came here before the shipper thread ) to make my comments on my fave Season 7 Sam eps.

Grace: I loved this ep so much. I loved seeing a vulnerable Sam, who was slowly falling apart physically and psychologically. It was interesting to see her slightly 'warped' versions of her friends, but that was do to her concussion (or was it?). My fave parts of this ep (which equal a LOT of parts that are too many to mention) are when she's talking to 'Jacob' in the messhall, and when she's sitting alone(ly), leaning against the bulkhead/wall, and Grace (and then Jack) comes in to talk to her. She looked so alone and lonely in that scene. She just gave up.

Separate from my mini review of the ep, I'd like to ask you guys if you think Sam was really 'not' alone on that ship? Do you think Grace was the cloud, or aliens on the other ship, or just made up in Sam's imagination?

Death Knell: Sam the lone survivor. Sam fighting for her life. Sam without food, water (that she didn't have to hunt down for), shelter, and first aide. Sam being hunted down mercilessly by a killing machine. Sam using her soldier skills, her survivor skills, and her intelligence to fight an unwinable foe. Sam losing the battle, but facing death with dignity. Sam dropping some of those walls and admitting she's whipped. Sam saying goodbye to her father, not knowing if she'd ever see him again. Sam surviving.

Heroes 2: Coupled with Heroes 1 (where we got to see a very happy and open Sam), Heroes 2 was the other side of the coin. She lost her best friend. She almost lost Jack too, so her feelings were in battle with feeling sadness and relief. The scene where she talks to Jack and breaks down was a tour de force for Amanda. Especially when she was hugging Jack; you could see every emotion and thought playing on her face. As a shipper, I was in heaven. As a Sam and Amanda fan, I was in awe. In the scene where Teal'c brings her his eulogy note; I liked seeing her have to go pick up Cassie - it showed the new responsibility that literally felll at her feet. When Sam stood at the alter, speaking of all the ppl that Janet had saved over the years... you could hear Sam's voice slightly breaking. Just a truly magnificent performance through out.

Lost City(s): Another chance for Amanda to show a magnitude of different emotions. I loved the scene where Sam went to talk to Jack at his house. She was *so* uncomfortable. One of my fave moments was when Daniel and T knocked on the door and she closed her eyes briefly in lost chance/defeat. Then when Jack put her in charge, and she tried again to tell him what she wanted at his house... I loved the look she exchanged with Jack; I felt it clearly showed she 'wasn't' really getting what he meant. Or more importantly, she wasn't sure 'he' got what she was going to say. Another missed opportunity that Amanda played wonderfully. And then when she begged 'Jack' to hold on... staring adoringly at him and placing her hand on the ice... She's *fantastic* at playing emotions without words.

Sorry I went on and on here.

Sally
                  You nailed it....And isn't it interesting that some of her best moments are when she's not the superhero/super scientist? It's when she's vulnerable and out of her element? When we get to see the sides of Sam that isn't in control and doesn't have the answers?

I think that's the main factor when considering what a strong female lead is - how she acts when things go wrong and she has no answers. And it speaks to Sam's character and Amanda's deftness at portraying her. That's why we love her because of the way she communicates whole volumes just with her eyes and her facial expressions and body language. The ease at which she emotes without using words.

There are some priceless episodes between her and her father in THREADS that I can't wait to have permission here to do another pictoral case study (I can't since you can't spoiler a bunch of pictures...)

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist

"There's my grandmother, who is 100 years old, and my grandfather who is like an English version of Elmer Fudd. And that's me and my twin." Although she is only ten months old in the picture, Ms Tapping has hardly changed a bit. The smile and the sparkly eyes are clearly evident.
                    Does anyone have a pic of this pic?

Sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

I'm thinkin' that's what Mitchell will do in part - be the humorous guy like Jack was...
                      I hope that they don't make Mitchell out to be like Jack... I hope they create him as his own character, with his own quirks. It would also be cool if he was married and had kids... give him a happy personal life and a personal side - and it would make him different than the original 4 of SG-1 (all single and with deaths and heartbreak in their personal lives).
                      I don't think that there'll be any kind of conflict when she returns. I personally like her as the head of SG-1. My only problem so far has been that we haven't actually SEEN much of it...
                      I agree with you, there, UberSG1Fan! Here's to hoping that they write a couple of episodes that show Carter leading the team in the field... and maybe coming to the rescue of the guys! (I can dream can't I?).

Comment

Great comments, MajorSal. I have downloaded them and added them to the Season 7 summary list!

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                          I hope that they don't make Mitchell out to be like Jack... I hope they create him as his own character, with his own quirks.
                          Well I don't want him to be a mini-Jack nor do I want him to be John Crichton part 2. But without O'Neill there's going to be a serious humor void in the show that I hope Mitchell can fill...as his own person with his own personality...

Comment

... I did it again. I read quickly through this post and then did a double take... read 'getting in' as 'sitting on'....

Sally, diving in to le gutter
                            See? You're getting the hang of the Madame President's duties already!

That's what I love about this episode. Its up to the imagination of the viewer to believe its what they want it to be. Stories that can succesfully pull that off are some of the best around IMO. I personally believe its part of Sam's imagination, maybe her inner child perhaps.
                            And on a slightly different note, I found a really great Grace tag fic the other day - Achieving Grace by Moonshayde. Sam/Daniel friendship. Read it here .

Comment

Aww. Too bad you won't enjoy the honeymoon sequence. KIDDING, KIDDING!!! ( Sorry, bad shipper humor )

Okay I'd be lying if I said there weren't ANY shippy elements in it (conversational stuff) but with the situation they're in and how it ends up - well, let's just say shipping is fairly impossible at that point (at least for the time being)...

But even as one who doesn't appreciate ship (and that's cool with me - each to their own ) - I hope you'll admit that at the VERY LEAST having O'Neill around has lightened Sam up a lot and has been a positive influence on her character...
                              Honeymoon!!!! Argh! *runs screaming away into the hills*
                              lol, its not that I have anything against the ship - I can definatly see that Sam and Jack have some strong connections with each other its just that those type of stories arn't my cup of tea . Bring on the adventure, action, suspense or humour for me

Comment

Okay - here's another one:

- List the episodes where Sam is crying

- List the episodes where Sam is forced to McGyver something together...
                                Crying:
                                Need
                                Legacy
                                Singularity
                                Heroes
                                New Order

Thats all I can think of, off the top of my head

MacGyvering
                                Torment of Tantalus
                                Death Knell
                                Prometheus
                                Ummm I know theres more, but too tired to think atm

Comment

Working...
                                X