Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MajorSam
    ... have been told that I look like a young Amanda (just with brown hair) which, for me, is the best compliment on looks I could ever hope for, as I think she's the most gorgeous person ever to exist.

I am pursuing a science career, but for the past 2 years i've been reaaally into the whole military thing, so who knows, the SGC might be in my future I'm following in the Canadian hero (McKay of course!) 's path!

Anyways, that's more than I've ever revealed about myself on the net... just my cheesy little story...
    Wow, maybe you could get a job as Amanda's stand-in on the show! How many times have you met Amanda?! And you're in science and the military?! So "Major" is not far from the truth.

Nothing cheesy about sharing some nice things about yourself - thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
      Wow, maybe you could get a job as Amanda's stand-in on the show! How many times have you met Amanda?! And you're in science and the military?! So "Major" is not far from the truth.

Nothing cheesy about sharing some nice things about yourself - thanks!
      HAHA, stand in eh... well my hair was blonde for a while, styled the same, i'd need some blue contacts.. but otherwise... I've got the height (i'm actually a wee bit taller, HAHA) but don't have the...well, to be honest, I dont have the chest... well surgery can fix that... haha, I wish! I would only ever get to be her stand in in my dreams though.

I've met Amanda... *thinks* 1,2,3,4...times, I believe, communicated through online chats and stuff at least another 3 or 4, talked through other means... 3 times. And every single one of those times have been the highlights of my life!!! I hope there will be many many more in the future!

haha, hopefully in the future Major will not be off at all, if you know what I mean! Right now i'm in a gimpy army type thing, but my rank would be equivilant to... (in the Canadian Military) A captain, only () but i'm hopefully being promoted in 2 weeks, and I have the position of a Lt. Colonel, so... wish me luck!

Thank you for not thinking it's cheesy or thinking it but saying it's nice, haha.
      The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
      |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
        spoilers for s6's paradise lost

That reminds me of one of my fave scenes in Paradise Lost. When Sam confronts Dr Lee about him packing up to go back to Earth, and she's angry and upset... I LOVED Amanda's expressions in that scene! She knew she was being unreasonable, but she also knew that Lee was being disrespectful to her authority. But her emotions got the better of her and she reacted more than I think she wanted too. But that whole exchange between them was just another example of Amanda nailing those kinds of scenes. As the semi argument went on, you could see Sam's defeated demeanor increase. As I'm typing this, I can see the look on her face when Lee is literally balling her out. And then when he walks off (wanted to slug him), Sam suddenly notices that Teal'c is watching her and she gets self-conscious. Absolute *wonderful* acting!

Sally

Yes, I loved this scene with Sam and Dr. Lee. You could just feel her steaming inside and about ready to explode. It was great acting---rarely have we seen Sam get so angry, and her facial expression was so different and unusual. It made sense to me for Sam to be on edge like that, given, as she said in the locker scene, that they had just lost Daniel and she didn't think she could take it if they lost another....

Some fans felt that when Sam raised her voice to Dr. Lee, this was evidence that she is a poor leader, but I disagree. So she raises her voice out of frustration in this context. I wonder if Jack had been in her place and had raised his voice toward Dr. Lee in frustration, (I don't see Major Carter anywhere, do you?!! etc.) would this action lessen the perception of Jack as a good leader? Is a woman's expression of anger interpreted differently than a man's in the same position? Is there a double standard here?

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
          Yes, I loved this scene with Sam and Dr. Lee. You could just feel her steaming inside and about ready to explode. It was great acting---rarely have we seen Sam get so angry, and her facial expression was so different and unusual. It made sense to me for Sam to be on edge like that, given, as she said in the locker scene, that they had just lost Daniel and she didn't think she could take it if they lost another....

Some fans felt that when Sam raised her voice to Dr. Lee, this was evidence that she is a poor leader, but I disagree. So she raises her voice out of frustration in this context. I wonder if Jack had been in her place and had raised his voice toward Dr. Lee in frustration, (I don't see Major Carter anywhere, do you?!! etc.) would this action lessen the perception of Jack as a good leader? Is a woman's expression of anger interpreted differently than a man's in the same position? Is there a double standard here?
          Ok, I must point out, that Sam, not once, has ever yelled or shouted out of anger. The only time's she's raised her voice to any range of significance has been when she's been screaming in pain, in Heroes when Jack get's shot, and in The Light when she's in withdrawl. That at least is what I remember at the moment... I think if she'd ever actually shouted at someone in anger I would remember...

and there are COMPLETELY different perceptions of women and men's anger!!! (wow, I love how this thread is so much about strong women with rights and grr to the stereotyping etc... I think I should start recomending it to my non-stargate female friends even! haha) But yes, men since the beginning of time have had the whole "alpha male" crap going on, with fights over everything to see who wins, to the way everyone percieves things such as anger, now. There used to be SUCH an image of the good litle housewife who has dinner on the table when the man comes home... but a woman actually shouting? being angry!? INCONCIEVABLE!!! I think this stereotype is also completely ridiculous. People know of what can happen when someone bottles up emotions, like Jack did with Charlie. Everyone, be it man or woman, has to let it out and at least vent once in a while, or it can actaully be physically and mentally detrimental!

Jack's been able to yell and rage, Teal'c is allowed to boom away in his Teal'cness, Daniel usually goes insane in some way and shouts at everyone... but Sam... I've never seen her do any of that. One of the reasons I love Replicarter so much is that she just goes ahead and beats people up. It's a refreshing change from Sam always having to be the good little girl. I think she's afraid herself that people would percieve her as a bad leader if she let emotions like anger in the way.

(YAAAAAAAY, 5 Green Jello Blocks! *sniff* i'd like to thank my mom, and my dad, and all the little people, and GOD, and...* haha

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

Jack's been able to yell and rage...
            Very well put... and it made me think that scene through with... Daniel in Sam's role... and I think no one would have complained... and with Jack in Sam's role... again, I don't think anyone would have complained (Jack's allowed to be cranky and snarky and sarcastic... and it's seen as loveable)...mmmmhmmmm....

Comment

The following quotes and pics are from the episode Foothold...
              thanks to all of you who cited this as one of the best Carter episodes
              -- you are most certainly correct!

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
              Her finest hour so far was Foothold. She had to be really brave and resourceful, and she quite probably saved the entire planet. Also she called Maybourne an idiot in a particularly witty way.
              Originally posted by sk8r^Ry
              i like the one where she had to get col mayborn to fight the foothold aliens
              I loved this infimary scene where SG-1 is getting tranqued by the aliens masquerading as SGC personnel. AT did an amazing job with her surprised, perplexed and then drowsy facial expressions after 'Janet' jabs her a bit too forcefully...
              Originally posted by jckfan55
              And I'm also a big advocate of exploring the Sam & Teal'c friendship. I think I said elsewhere that I think that is sadly untapped.

Foothold did have a few good scenes of Teal'c and Sam working together. I loved their interaction in the elevator just after Sam wakes up and then as she gets ready to go for help.

Maybourne, you are an idiot every day of the week!
              Why couldn't you have just taken one day off?!
              Originally posted by majorsal
              I LOVE Foothold! I've got it on tape. That was *so* much a Sam Carter shows her stuff ep. Amanda adlibbed that line to Maybourne.
              Originally posted by Kes
              Foothold. Kickass Sam to the rescue. Snarky Sam telling off Maybourne. What's not to love.

The scenes with 'Jack', 'Daniel' and Maybourne were also wonderful.

This is kick-ass Sam Carter -- she takes down the alien masquerading as Jack without hesitation.

Dealing with the other aliens aboard and Maybourne proves that he's not one.

A few parting shots in the last few scenes.

Originally posted by ChopinGal
              So, again, all you guys and gals on this thread - I think it's great that our Sam Carter has such a wide appeal to so many ages - she is Everywoman in that she brings out some of the best human qualities by playing such a three-dimensional character. She inspires us to be like her whether we're looking forward or looking back. And, believe me, you're never too old to kick butt!

Carter knows how to handle a gun!

Foothold was most definitely a stand-out episode for both the competency of the character of Sam Carter - and the acting talents of Amanda Tapping. Thanks to all of you who commented on this episode in this thread... because of all of the comments, I went back and watched it. Thanks!
              Photos are screen captures from the episode 'Foothold'

Comment

Holy Geez woman you have a lot of time!

Once again, thanks for the brilliance. i really have to watch that ep again...! On Monday I went and watched almost alll the other episodes with good Sam stuff we've been talking about lately.

HAHA, i'm not suprised Amanda ad-libbed that line. The writers are great and all but I must say, the majority of the classic moments like that are from the brilliance that is the cast

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

Holy Geez woman you have a lot of time! Once again, thanks for the brilliance. i really have to watch that ep again...! On Monday I went and watched almost alll the other episodes with good Sam stuff we've been talking about lately.
                  LOL -- I actually had NO time today... work demanded its due... and then a friend is having computer virus problems... that sucked up lots of hours today... sigh... and all of the computer viruses are still not gone from her system (she had 45!... ugh!...her virus protection needed to be repaired, updated... and then run!).

I actually did the Foothold photo panels last night, but just didn't get a chance to post it until late tonight.

As for all of the screen captures... ok, ok.... I get caught up in that kind of stuff - photography, photo-editing and computers... I should probably figure out a way to make money from doing that kind of work... I get caught up in it and suddenly hours have passed by.

And, I've just been so pleased with the generally positive and constructive tenor of this online thread - this is the first bulletin board thread, forum or chatroom that I've ever given more than passing glance.

I think that it's very important that the positives are emphasized and highlighted when it comes to positive, strong female characters in film and television. They are rare and we need to send a message that we'd like to see more of them.

So... what I'm hoping is that TPTB get a chance or two to peruse this thread - and see what types of things are commended and applauded.... what types of scenes we'd like to see more of.

I also hope that AT gets a chance to browse this thread somewhere along the way. She needs to know that there are thoughtful fans who appreciate the amazing work that she has accomplished.

I'd like to thank everyone who has posted on this thread - thanks for keeping it up on the first page or so of the General Discussion Board... just keeping the title of this thread on that first page sends a strong message... 'Sam is a great character'... constant positive reinforcement.

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                    Dipsofjazz - Hi up there in Bonny Scotland - my favourite place! I'm off up to Glenelg next weekend and hoping for snow!! Re recommendations for your course - I think all the main ones have been mentioned, but here are a few additional ones:

Learning Curve - when Sam and Merrin get the reactor to work
                    Within the Serpents Grasp - Good action Sam scenes
                    The Serpent's Lair - the decision to blow the ship and themselves up
                    In the Line Of Duty - At the start when Sam helps the villager
                    1969 - When they are locked up in the SGC and Sam makes it clear that they can't explain anything - she shows great assertiveness and authority
                    Into The Fire - Down in the To'kra tunnels Sam volunteers to go back to the Goa'uld base on her own to find the Colonel and Blow the force field generator
                    Legacy - The scene where she is taking instructions from Janet on how to get rid of Machello's bugs. - The 2 women work well together. Jack is totally useless in this situation - which I think was deliberate by the writers.
                    New Ground - Refusing to talk when locked in the cage
                    Small Victories - O'Neill saying they shouldn't beam up as it is a one way trip, then the next scene Sam and Teal'c beaming up with the weapons.
                    Fantastic list Coley! You've cited several that I now want to go back and watch again! Thanks!

Dipsofjazz - Sam Carter as a role model for young teens -- I hope that that kind of feedback makes its way to AT!

Comment

Hi

Some really lovely posts again!!

Deepspace and Majorsam - It is great to hear how you have been inspired by Amanda. "You go girls!!" (to steal a line). Good luck to you both!! Let us know about the Lt Colonel!!

Actually I was really into Astronomy when I was younger. Dad bought me a telescope and I used to gaze at the moon and stars for ages. However I was so upset when I heard the Russians had sent a dog into space and not brought him back I lost interest (I cried myself to sleep for nights). Anyway since hearing about how Amanda understands all the techno stuff, my interest has perked up again and I thought I'd better pull my socks up and make an effort, so I have started to read "A Brief History Of Time" I'm not doing so bad, but just got to the stage where I need to take a few notes. Thanks Amanda for the nudge!!!

All the posts have got me nodding my head and going Yeah!! Yeah!! and Yes I'd not thought of that!! Thankyou everyone!

Thanks -yet again!! - to Astrogeologist for the captures of Foothold - That ep is up there in the top 5. I love it when she emerges from the SGC vent. She pulls the gun out from behind her back and cocks the safety - just so perfectly cool - just the right action!! I Love the woman!!

Re her anger scenes. I myself have always though she's adorable when she's angry, because she always seems to look a little guilty for being angry with it. The ones I remember apart from those mentioned are - Bane when she gives the geneticist a mouthful because she thinks he sold Teal'c out, The fifth Man - when she's angry they can't go back for O'Neill and she says we should never have left him (or something like that). She had a bit of a peeve (rather than anger) at O'Neill when he blamed her for wanting Steak in upgrades - she retorted very indignantly - "it was your idea ..... Sir!!" With a real miffed look on her face. Very few others really. Col O'Neill lost it big style in Red Sky when he nearly blew that chaps head off - now thats losing your cool! I loved the scene in The Light when she was in withdrawal.

She's a strong woman in the most positive sense of the word. If only I can react like her in situations where I am most frustrated - I can apsire and try my best!

Can I copy in on Atrogeologist's thanks and comments. Its great to come here for a short while and read all the posts! I too hope TPTB and Amanda look in on the thread.

Right pooches playtime again - then err ummm - more Stargate!!

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                        As for all of the screen captures... ok, ok.... I get caught up in that kind of stuff - photography, photo-editing and computers... I get caught up in it and suddenly hours have passed by.

And, I've just been so pleased with the generally positive and constructive tenor of this online thread - this is the first bulletin board thread, forum or chatroom that I've ever given more than passing glance.

I think that it's very important that the positives are emphasized and highlighted when it comes to positive, strong female characters in film and television. They are rare and we need to send a message that we'd like to see more of them.

So... what I'm hoping is that TPTB get a chance or two to peruse this thread - and see what types of things are commended and applauded.... what types of scenes we'd like to see more of.

I also hope that AT gets a chance to browse this thread somewhere along the way. She needs to know that there are thoughtful fans who appreciate the amazing work that she has accomplished.

I'd like to thank everyone who has posted on this thread - thanks for keeping it up on the first page or so of the General Discussion Board... just keeping the title of this thread on that first page sends a strong message... 'Sam is a great character'... constant positive reinforcement.
                        Here's to you, AstroG! You have really made this a very lively thread by all your hard work. I know it's truly a labor of love (just like your excellent fanfic). Thanks for letting us enjoy our favorite Sam scenes or moments all over again.

And, I hope, like you, that this thread captures the attention of TPTB and possibly AT herself. I know she had mentioned once that it was discouraging to read some of the more negative things said about her and her character, so this thread could be her oasis of support. Wow, I just impressed myself - oasis of support - maybe I should write a fanfic or two ...

CG

Comment

ChopinGaleep Space - how terrific is that?!! You actually started taking more science classes because of Sam Carter as a role model! Let's hear it for this girl!
                          For too many years, math and science courses seemed to be the realm of the boys. Thank goodness, that is changing. Do you plan to major in science or math in college/university? I'm very impressed. Hope AT reads this thread someday and sees what an influence she's been on your life.
                          I hope to do some kind of science at uni oneday. Astrobiology, quantum mechanics or astrophysics are my main interests to choose from. I also like ordinary biology, but I think that is required to study astrobiology anyway.

MajorSam:Hey! Welcome! Always hyper when a new person joins our little corner of the forum.
                          Gee thanks everyone! This forum feels so comfortable. Kinda wish I'd found it sooner, but I'm here now.

MajorSam:I just want to say, I'm completely the same. in Elementary school I was all "perfect little goody goody" with my grades and stuff, but wasn't... lets just say, not the most attractive of people, and I had basically no friends. I started getting more and more... unhappy, with that, and so I looked to, admittedly, Amanda Tapping, and Sam Carter. Through the last few years of elementary I kept getting more and more confident and happy with my good marks, but also being more and more social. That was ages ago, but one time at GateCon I told this to Amanda, and she just was gushing about how brilliant and happy she was that she can help people in any way they need it. Now I'm probably the most confident person I know, i'm happy, I have millions of friends, I still get really good grades, and have been told that I look like a young Amanda (just with brown hair) which, for me, is the best compliment on looks I could ever hope for, as I think she's the most gorgeous person ever to exist.
                          I am pursuing a science career, but for the past 2 years i've been reaaally into the whole military thing, so who knows, the SGC might be in my future I'm following in the Canadian hero (McKay of course!) 's path!
                          Anyways, that's more than I've ever revealed about myself on the net... just my cheesy little story...
                          Not cheesy at all! I love it. You sound absoloutely amazing. And hey, Sam started out as Captain Carter remember! And SGC is in your future if you want it to be. And by the way, there's nothing really wrong with brown hair, I've got it too.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                            Deepspace and Majorsam - It is great to hear how you have been inspired by Amanda. "You go girls!!" (to steal a line). Good luck to you both!! Let us know about the Lt Colonel!!

Actually I was really into Astronomy when I was younger. Dad bought me a telescope and I used to gaze at the moon and stars for ages. However I was so upset when I heard the Russians had sent a dog into space and not brought him back I lost interest (I cried myself to sleep for nights). Anyway since hearing about how Amanda understands all the techno stuff, my interest has perked up again and I thought I'd better pull my socks up and make an effort, so I have started to read "A Brief History Of Time" I'm not doing so bad, but just got to the stage where I need to take a few notes. Thanks Amanda for the nudge!!!

Re her anger scenes. I myself have always though she's adorable when she's angry, because she always seems to look a little guilty for being angry with it. The ones I remember apart from those mentioned are - Bane when she gives the geneticist a mouthful because she thinks he sold Teal'c out, The fifth Man - when she's angry they can't go back for O'Neill and she says we should never have left him (or something like that). She had a bit of a peeve (rather than anger) at O'Neill when he blamed her for wanting Steak in upgrades - she retorted very indignantly - "it was your idea ..... Sir!!" With a real miffed look on her face. Very few others really. Col O'Neill lost it big style in Red Sky when he nearly blew that chaps head off - now thats losing your cool! I loved the scene in The Light when she was in withdrawal.
                            Thank you so much for showing interest in my promotions and stuff *blushes face off*

I'm also reading A Brief History of time! As well as About Time, and a few others.

Now that you mention it, she actually is kinda cute when she's angry, isn't she!? The guiltyness at anger thing. I love it, but after all these years I would like to see them take her anger seriously, not make it a flippant thing with the cuteness...

Originally posted by deepspace
                            I hope to do some kind of science at uni oneday. Astrobiology, quantum mechanics or astrophysics are my main interests to choose from. I also like ordinary biology, but I think that is required to study astrobiology anyway.

Gee thanks everyone! This forum feels so comfortable. Kinda wish I'd found it sooner, but I'm here now.

Not cheesy at all! I love it. You sound absoloutely amazing. And hey, Sam started out as Captain Carter remember! And SGC is in your future if you want it to be. And by the way, there's nothing really wrong with brown hair, I've got it too.
                            GOOD LUCK with all the scientific endeavours you go into

I also wish i'd found it earlier, but now I have, I definately won't be leaving anytime soon! Seriously the ONLY place I know on these kinds of forums that actually support the best character ever created

Thank you so much for you compliments *blushes face off again* I don't often get any. HEEEH, I would SOOOO be in the SGC or any specialist secret base like that at the drop of a hat if I was offered a job in it! Haha, I never said brown hair was bad, I actually really love my hair, I just sayin it's one of the differences between Amanda and I. Apparantly, we have the same personalities, the same smile (I don't think mines half as good as hers... plus her teeth are like, blindingly white) and even the same hands, of all things... haha. I'm not trying to boast or anything, it just amazes me that anyone could say I look like Amanda... she is my reason for living, so...

Regarding everyone saying they hope Amanda takes notice of this thread. Without being allowed to say any specific details, I might be able to tell her about it in the very near future.

As always, I must say this thread is brilliant and I love it and hugs and CHOCOLATE FOR EVERYONE!

((((((((Everyone in this thread)))))))))))

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

Exactly. When this incident was brought up in "Inauguration" (I think) as a sign of problems in the SGC, I thought--boy, that's stretching it. And yes, she expressed frustration but was hardly out of control!

Comment

I must also add my appreciation for the positive tone of this thread. I find much of GW positive and often thoughtful, which is why I joined after checking it out. GW is the first forum I've participated in. But there are those who seem out to "trash" the show. You always wonder why they bother to watch, in that case. I do hope AT will take a look at this thread if she gets some time, so she knows she is appreciated. Can't wait for tonight's episode! I've tried to avoid spoilers but it looks like a heavily AT ep.

Comment

Working...
                                X