Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
    In a typical series, there's usually room for only 1 or 2 heroes and of course they're male. There were sometimes female guest stars, but they usually served as romantic interest for a male star.

NC
    Exactly, and it's very disappointing.

The most recent case in point IMO is Stargate:Atlantis: They introduce a great character in LC1&2, Dr. Elizabeth Weir, with the insinuation that she's going to be the star of the spinoff. Then they not only change actresses (!!! -I really liked the 1st actress), but then they bring this other GUY to be the lead!!!

I am still so disappointed in that adolescent tactic that I don't watch S:A.

hrh

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
      Interesting discussion. I knew some of the history of the discord in this fandom - but not all of it.

Daniel and Sam seem to be the lightning rods for criticism. Oh to be Teal'c.

Still I'm one fan who's looking forward to seeing what they do with Sam next season - away from being 1/2 of Sam and Jack. I think it could be a really GOOD thing for Sam.
      Too funny with the Teal'c comment!

And yes, I agree 100% with the Sam in S9 as herself and not half of S/J, pretty please. I think it will be great for Sam.

It sounds like she's gonna' have her hands full already just trying to hang onto her job with BB's character around.

And fighting for screen time with both BB's characters and now LD's character as the new doctor, too. Sheesh! Are the Big Three gonna' have ANY screen time next year??

hrh

Comment

We are about half-way through the week for the Season 5 Best Carter Episode Poll, and I have archived episode comments from AgentDark, Skydiver, MajorSal and Fred.

Anyone else want to share their Season 5 Best Sam scenes and moments?

And, don't forget to vote, of course!

Season 5 Best Carter Episodes Poll

Season 5 very short episode summaries (to jog the memory)

Comment

Originally posted by hrh36
          It sounds like she's gonna' have her hands full already just trying to hang onto her job with BB's character around.

And fighting for screen time with both BB's characters and now LD's character as the new doctor, too. Sheesh! Are the Big Three gonna' have ANY screen time next year??

hrh
          If LD and Beau Bridges characters are anything like Janet and Hammond, I don't see a huge infringement on the Big Three's screen time. As a matter of fact, I didn't realize how much Hammond contributed until this year when he was gone. They really need someone heading up the SGC to pull it all together.

On the other hand, if TPTB decide to increase the visibility of the CMO and head of SGC just because they're bringing in the new stars, it would bother me too.

NC

Comment

Originally posted by hrh36
            Exactly, and it's very disappointing.

The most recent case in point IMO is Stargate:Atlantis: They introduce a great character in LC1&2, Dr. Elizabeth Weir, with the insinuation that she's going to be the star of the spinoff. Then they not only change actresses (!!! -I really liked the 1st actress), but then they bring this other GUY to be the lead!!!

I am still so disappointed in that adolescent tactic that I don't watch S:A.

hrh
            I know what you mean about SGA. I keep watching and hoping that I'll start liking it better, but it hasn't sparked yet. The first time I've felt anything but neutral about Weir this season was in Hot Zone, when there were some serious chain of command issues. From what I read about Season 2, it sounds like it may be even worse with regards to Weir's authority.

NC

Comment

Everyone’s posts on the court of Samanda have had me cracking up laughing! Just amazing!
              *sings Samanda’s national anthem*

It's a thread of laughter
              A thread of cheer
              We post all our hopes
              And some of our fears
              There's so much that we share
              It's because we're aware
              This is Sam's thread after all

There is just one Forum
              And one golden thread
              And blue Jello is free
              To ev-er-y friend
              Though the fandom divide
              This thread will abide
              'Cause it's Sam's thread after all

Sing it with me!

So let me see if I've got everyone right. I've probably missed some people, so forgive me, please.
              MajorSam—Madam President of Samanda (and keeper of the O’Neillium
              MajorSal (Sally)—Vice President, Creator of Samanda (and Jack of all trades)
              Astrogeologist—Keeper of the Flame (archivist)
              Skydiver—Royal census taker
              ChopinGal—Court Jester
              Tok’ra Hostess—Royal Scribe
              Coley—Royal Accountant (and editor of the Samandan newsletter)
              Agent Dark—Royal Head of Security
              Nearly Circular--Wise Elder
              Dancer of Spaz: Lurker extroidinaire

And… and…
              Deepspace—Royal Page/lady in waiting
              !!!!!!!!!!!!

ChopinGal: Dear Madam President
              It has come to my attention that one of our most humble and grateful Samandans has yet to be nominated to the Royal Court.
              This young woman would never take it upon herself to seek fame or attention, so I hereby request that you, in your benevolence, bestow a fair and fitting title. Perhaps royal page or lady-in-waiting?
              I welcome your decision on this matter and will gladly vote "yea" in favor of whichever position you choose to confer upon Deepspace.
              Sincerely,
              Court Jester
              Coley: May I second Deepsace's nomination to the Court
              Majorsam: Hear ye Hear ye, let it be known henceforth that Deepspace is officially the Royal Page, Lady-in-Waiting of the Court of Samanada. Let her youthful intelligence, wit, and such inspire us all!
              I can’t think of anything to say to all you fantastic people, except a big THANKYOU!

Majorsam: Yup, I'm the youngest one here...
              You’re younger than me??? Not possible. The person in that photo with Amanda, even with face scrubbed out in photoshop, did not look younger than me. And you do so much amazing stuff. Now I feel really ordinary.

The Oh yea we say times is a great Samandan newsletter. Please nobody mind if I don’t join in with any of the ‘adult themed’ conversations though.

I just noticed some of your joining dates. I thought everyone here had been here for years, but some of you only joined in December/January like me!

Did I miss the royal Gala?

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

My replies go back to page 70 onwards. (I hope people don’t mind me bringing up the past). There is so much more great discussion of everything that I would have loved to be a part of. Anyway, I’m back now.

Elfinwood: Sam rocks!
                Indeed!

So glad my favourite eps won the season3 poll. Great screencaps from the Jolinar episodes flamekeeper! And every other screenshot you've posted recently!

I don’t think I should bother writing about season4 anymore, it seems to be wrapped up quite nicely by astrogeologist and those huge summary posts. And besides, I pretty much agree with the winning episodes. I loved reading everyone elses comments though. I hope to post about season5 eps tomorrow.

Nice pics of Sam’s boots everyone. The only boots I have are bushwalking boots, and I love them. As Astrogeologist superbly said:
                Carterchic (aka Sam's boots - for the female hero who isn't wearing heels when the action starts!)
                Love the Exodus screencaps! Blowing up a sun. Now that’s a really big glowing mass of flames keeper!

Really enjoyed reading MajorSam’s army adventure story on page 75. I’m so glad you share these amazing experiences with us. It all sounds like fun!

Meanwhile I agree with everyones talk about Sam’s personal life being the focus of episodes. I don’t mind her personal life/romances/whatever being woven into the story, but it shouldn’t be the main story.

Nearly Circular: My thoughts are that lately we have seen snippets of Sam the leader and Sam the scientist and Sam the friend, but those moments seem to be overshadowed by too many scenes showing Sam worrying about her personal relationships. We don't see Jack or Daniel or Teal'c dealing with those types of issues. If relationship problems are presented for the guys, it's usually done in the context of the show, as a way of progressing the plot, not just as an add-on.
                While I didn’t mind her personal life side, I think it’s had it’s season, time to move on. We need a Sam who is in command.

Sally: What I *do* think has been a problem/was neglected was Sam commanding Sg1. I was literally jumping up and down with It's Good to be Kind, because Sam was commanding!

Oh dear, look what I've done.
                Coley: Deepspace where are you?
                Don't seem to be able to PM you.
                Been missing your posts which I find interesting, thoughful and thought provoking!!
                Hope you're OK!!
                Gee, coley, sorry you worried about me. I actually can’t believe that people missed me! I have been in the country for a week, and now I’ve spent three days catching up on everyone’s posts (while more accumulate)! I was away for longer than I said I would be. I’m quite fine though. I hope to post here lots this week! Oh, and I think I have PM’s turned off, cause I don’t know what they are.

Coley: nice to have you back Deepspace!
                Astrogeologist: Welcome back deepspace - you were missed!
                ...and now I think I need your help with the SaGC accountant...who seems to be hitting the sauce... or maybe the spiked blue jello...
                Coley: Oh we've not lost Deepsace through overposting have we?
                I miss her posts!!
                It’s taken me awhile yo catch up. Silly me thought I could go through and comment on everything. It didn’t work, so now I’m just coming in where you’re all up to. Sorry I was gone for so long.

All I can say to Reckoning part two last week is !!!!!
                Spoilers:
                Spoiler:
                Replicarter is soooooo, sooooo mean. She is very nasty. One of my favourite parts in this episode was actually with Daniel, how he got into Repli’s mind while she was probing his, and how he learnt how to freeze all the replicators in position. But then… she… stabbed him right through the middle! I couldn’t believe it, I was so shocked. Replicarter is truly evil.
                Favourite Sam moment was Nearly Circular’s sig, about blowing up the sun, and next step parting the red sea.

I haven’t seen past this yet, and I think I ran into a few Threads and Moebius spoilers here without meaning to, but I don’t think I read anything too important, cause as soon as I realised it was discussion about eps I hadn’t seen, I skipped on.

I hope I kept this brief enough. It's great to be back with you guys!

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

DEEPSPAAAAACE!!!!!

I'm so glad your'e FINALLY back!!

(((((((((Deepspace))))))))))))

It's about time my dear Royal Page!! We were afraid you had dropped right off the face of the planet! How was your trip to the country? Glad to see you're catchin up, and hope to see you doing some more of those great posts!!!

On note of your trip, however, I'm afraid to say that I too will be taking one As of 10 days from now (March 10) I will be off galavanting the streets of France, with some stop offs in London... I'm extremely excited, but I'm not too happy that i'll be away from Samanda for two whole weeks, ESPECIALLY during the time that "The Big Day" for Amanda may be!!! I'll try to get into some internet cafe's or something so I don't fall TOO behind, but....

Well, until then, come on people we need some more posts!
                  The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
                  |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

WB Deepspace
                    And with MajorSam gone for a week, it looks like MajorSal with have to step up to the plate and handle the official duties! We'll be expecting a big story of your adventures when you get back too MajorSam!

Originally posted by deepspace
                    Spoiler:
                    Replicarter is soooooo, sooooo mean. She is very nasty. One of my favourite parts in this episode was actually with Daniel, how he got into Repli’s mind while she was probing his, and how he learnt how to freeze all the replicators in position. But then… she… stabbed him right through the middle! I couldn’t believe it, I was so shocked. Replicarter is truly evil.
                    RepliCarter has to be my 2nd favourite character in the SG Universe (after Sam of course!) I really do hope we'll see more of her again, though I seriously doubt it
                    Must have more evil Sam/AT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                      WB Deepspace
                      And with MajorSam gone for a week, it looks like MajorSal with have to step up to the plate and handle the official duties! We'll be expecting a big story of your adventures when you get back too MajorSam!

RepliCarter has to be my 2nd favourite character in the SG Universe (after Sam of course!) I really do hope we'll see more of her again, though I seriously doubt it
                      Must have more evil Sam/AT!!!
                      I like RepliCarter too, especially as Amanda plays her, and spoilers for Reckoning Part 2
                      Spoiler:
                      if TPTB hadn't wanted to wrap up the whole replicator arc with the end of season 8, I think she could have been an awesome villain for a long time.

NC

Comment

I like RepliCarter too, especially as Amanda plays her, and spoilers for Reckoning Part 2
                        Spoiler:
                        if TPTB hadn't wanted to wrap up the whole replicator arc with the end of season 8, I think she could have been an awesome villain for a long time.

NC

I can definately see RepliCarter having become a great big bad guy (girl!) Amanda had a brilliant time playing her, and the results showed it!!!
                        Spoiler:
                        TPTB could have gone SOOOO far with Reppy... I wish I could say I have hope for season 9, but with so many changes i dont know what to think I really wanted to see some major RepliCarter events, with some major repurcussions for Sam!!!
                        The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
                        |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

My replies go back to page 70 onwards. (I hope people don’t mind me bringing up the past). There is so much more great discussion of everything that I would have loved to be a part of. Anyway, I’m back now.
                          Deepspace - you should get a special commendation (bean) for reading all 25 pages that were posted while you were gone! And - bring up any topics - old or new!
                          Originally posted by Elfinwood
                          Sam rocks!
                          Indeed!
                          Just wanted to repeat that... Sam Rocks!!!!
                          So glad my favourite eps won the season3 poll. Great screencaps from the Jolinar episodes flamekeeper! And every other screenshot you've posted recently! Love the Exodus screencaps! Blowing up a sun.
                          Now that’s a really big glowing mass of flames keeper!
                          LOL - and Thanks!
                          I hope to post about season5 eps tomorrow.
                          I'll keep an eye out

Meanwhile I agree with everyones talk about Sam’s personal life being the focus of episodes. I don’t mind her personal life/romances/whatever being woven into the story, but it shouldn’t be the main story.
                          Originally posted by Nearly Circular
                          My thoughts are that lately we have seen snippets of Sam the leader and Sam the scientist and Sam the friend, but those moments seem to be overshadowed by too many scenes showing Sam worrying about her personal relationships. We don't see Jack or Daniel or Teal'c dealing with those types of issues. If relationship problems are presented for the guys, it's usually done in the context of the show, as a way of progressing the plot, not just as an add-on.
                          We need a Sam who is in command.
                          Nicely stated, chocdoc!
                          All I can say to Reckoning part two last week is !!!!!
                          I can't wait to see it (might be a month or more before I get to, but my mom is pretty sure that she's got it taped for me... poor mom and my VCR instructions over the phone... at least she was a good sport!)

Comment

When I first caught an SG1 episode about 2 years ago, it was O'Neill's humor that first hooked me. But I quickly fell for all the characters. I've always seen them as equal members of the team, even if Jack is the CO. But Sam quickly became a favorite. Iam also annoyed by the mean spririted attacks on any of the characters, but especially Sam, by people who are (in the parlance of the forums, I believe) "trolls." I try to be careful not to venture under their bridges.

Comment

That's a really interesting comment by CJ about RDA's not wanting the AU scripts. It sounds promising for AU in future seasons. So how was the con?

NC
                              I tend to be very wary of AU and time travel stories. So far they've done ok, but they could so easily become something to do when you can't think of another story. Apparently a time travel or AU story is coming up. We'll see how it goes. I was actually glad when Hammond ordered the quantum mirror destroyed.

Comment

Spoiler:

NC
                                I don't believe the replicators are completey gone. They may be gone in our galaxy but that doesn't mean they are extinct. If this is the case, I would say it's a safe bet to believe RC may be back again one day...her knowledge has already passed onto the her brethren. Unless you see the body dead, there is always a chance for return.

Comment

Working...
                                X