No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to me, a character like sam is what atlantis needs.

teyla and weir are ok, but teyla is there for looks. she's the token alien, she's the sex appeal (as evidenced by her costumes). weir is simply hammond with hair. she's a maternal figure.

they're both ok, just not what strikes a chord with me. I like a female character to be a part of the team and part of the show and her gender is just part of her, not her sole reason for being there

I enjoy atlantis, i just think i'd enjoy it more if i had someone like sam to watch
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
      By all accounts from her interviews, her site, comments from fans who have met her, and her portrayal of SC on SG1, AT seems to be a pretty remarkable woman.

She certainly is very inspiring and intelligent

However we all have our faults

You would really have to know her to form a valid opinion on what she is really like. From a distance we can only hope she is everything she appears to be, whilst accepting she will not be perfect.

We can all have an valid opinion on Sam Carter though - based on all the episodes - I think she is great!!
      I think you're right, Sam is a great character. She's also cool in that you don't see many female characters that have it all: intelligence, command and leadership ability, decisiveness, emotion, integrity, selflessness, logic, strength, etc. I mean, Sam can cry and be emotional when it's appropriate, not just because she's a woman. Sam is not demeaning to women; she's an inspiration to women, girls, men, boys, etc. I admire her and wish I could be like when I'm older. I wish my character and intelligence and personality were like hers.

I can only hope Amanda is like Sam.

Sorry for rambling.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

teyla and weir are ok, but teyla is there for looks. she's the token alien, she's the sex appeal (as evidenced by her costumes). weir is simply hammond with hair. she's a maternal figure.

they're both ok, just not what strikes a chord with me. I like a female character to be a part of the team and part of the show and her gender is just part of her, not her sole reason for being there

I enjoy atlantis, i just think i'd enjoy it more if i had someone like sam to watch
        Excellent points! The thing is, Sam is a fleshed out, 3-dimensional character; she's living and breathing, whereas Teyla is only emerging as a person. Dr. Weir is still rather cold and, like you said, a female Hammond with less emotion. Gen. Hammond, no matter how hard-nosed he could get, always cared about his people and always tried to do the right thing. Hammond seemed to know instinctively what the right thing was without giving it much thought. However, Dr. Weir seems to have trouble knowing what she should do sometimes. I think, with time, she will change and her character will develop and become a fleshed out person rather than a skeletal 2-dimensional caricature.

A Sam-like character would pump much needed life into Atlantis, for sure. Unfortunately, I don't see Teyla doing this, but with time and some good character development, Weir sure has potential.

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis

A Sam-like character would pump much needed life into Atlantis, for sure. Unfortunately, I don't see Teyla doing this, but with time and some good character development, Weir sure has potential.

i could certainly be wrong, but i don't see teyla ever growing into someone like sam. IMHO, she's there because, you know, every show needs it's token female, and like i said, the focus on her seems to be her looks. it's rather shallow.

no spoilers, but before i sleep does showcase weir a bit, and it does flesh her out some more. i can only hope that an upcoming episode does the same for teyla.

maybe i'm holding these two characters up to something unattainable. to me, sam is a great character and just what scifi shows (and others) need.

Shallow can be fun, shallow can be pretty...but shallow gets boring. I'd love to see these other characters developed like sam has been.

it may sound corny to call sam a role model, but in a way she is. She does her job, and does it well. she doesn't trade on her gender, nor does she use it as a crutch. it's just a part of her.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

i could certainly be wrong, but i don't see teyla ever growing into someone like sam. IMHO, she's there because, you know, every show needs it's token female, and like i said, the focus on her seems to be her looks. it's rather shallow.

no spoilers, but before i sleep does showcase weir a bit, and it does flesh her out some more. i can only hope that an upcoming episode does the same for teyla.

maybe i'm holding these two characters up to something unattainable. to me, sam is a great character and just what scifi shows (and others) need.

Shallow can be fun, shallow can be pretty...but shallow gets boring. I'd love to see these other characters developed like sam has been.

it may sound corny to call sam a role model, but in a way she is. She does her job, and does it well. she doesn't trade on her gender, nor does she use it as a crutch. it's just a part of her.
            It's not corny at all. The hallmark of any good movie or television series is a good character, one we can relate to; one we can laugh at; one we can envy; one we can admire; one we can lust after; or even one we can hate. If you think about your personal favourites (movies or television shows), more likely than not, the characters are what drew you to the show/movie in the first place.

Sam is one of those characters. They all are in SG-1, but in SG-A, they are starting to emerge. If you think back to Broca Divide or Thor's Hammer, the SG-1 characters were about on par with SG-A's current characters...so if SG-A continues on for several more seasons, we should see parallel character development. At least, we can hope.

For sure, Dr. McKay and Dr. Beckett will continue to evolve as will Lt. Col. Sheppard.

Comment

I can only hope Amanda is like Sam.
              I've never met Amanda, although she seems to be a really lovely person.

But what has always impressed me about AT is that she actually researches all that technobabble she has to say. So she will have an understanding of the science involved and what her character is passionate about. I think that rocks. A lot of actors would just memorize the lines.

I also appreciate, according to one interview I read, that AT worries about her character as a role model. I remember she said she laid awake worrying how something might come across to younger girls who watch the show. Don't recall what it was she was worried about but i was struck by how much she cares.

I don't agree with everything they've written for for her character the last year and a half. I think they could have done MUCH more with her arc as the new leader of SG-1, but I've always been proud of Sam and think AT is fab.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing Sam back and interacting with the new team. I think it could be a lot of fun.

As for the credits - I don't really care, I guess as long as they're all happy. If RDA is only in 3 or 4 episodes I do think it's time to drop him from the opening credits completely. They can give him a big guest star billing if he comes back for an episode or two. I also don't think anyone should be above the title anymore. It's going to be interesting, I'll say that.

If the whole SG-1 V. 2.0 doesn't work out I could see Sam going to Atlantis. She could replace Weir easily. Guess I'm not too fond of Weir yet although i understand she's getting better in the last half of S1.
              Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
                I've never met Amanda, although she seems to be a really lovely person.

But what has always impressed me about AT is that she actually researches all that technobabble she has to say. So she will have an understanding of the science involved and what her character is passionate about. I think that rocks. A lot of actors would just memorize the lines.

I also appreciate, according to one interview I read, that AT worries about her character as a role model. I remember she said she laid awake worrying how something might come across to younger girls who watch the show. Don't recall what it was she was worried about but i was struck by how much she cares.

I don't agree with everything they've written for for her character the last year and a half. I think they could have done MUCH more with her arc as the new leader of SG-1, but I've always been proud of Sam and think AT is fab.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing Sam back and interacting with the new team. I think it could be a lot of fun.

As for the credits - I don't really care, I guess as long as they're all happy. If RDA is only in 3 or 4 episodes I do think it's time to drop him from the opening credits completely. They can give him a big guest star billing if he comes back for an episode or two. I also don't think anyone should be above the title anymore. It's going to be interesting, I'll say that.

If the whole SG-1 V. 2.0 doesn't work out I could see Sam going to Atlantis. She could replace Weir easily. Guess I'm not too fond of Weir yet although i understand she's getting better in the last half of S1.
                I didn't know that about AT. Very cool. Give Weir a chance; she'll come along, Kes. I don't think Sam will move over to Atlantis, but she could. It would be weird seeing her there, but if she does, she'd be part of the team, I think, not a replacement for Dr. Weir. Do you really think she might replace Weir one day?

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace

Sam is one of my most favourite characters of the SG1 team. She is everything I have ever wanted to be, from her scientiffic knowledge to her as a person. Maybe this is why I love her so-called technobabble, as I want to be able to oneday understand every word of it.
                  And there is no-one other than Amanda Tapping who could play Sam's character like she does.
                  I feel exactly the same. I have a case of hero worship with Sam AND Amanda. I might be able to imagine someone else playing Sam, but I know I'd not be into the character even half as much as with Amanda playing her. She's a class act!

Sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

I don't think Sam will move over to Atlantis, but she could. It would be weird seeing her there, but if she does, she'd be part of the team, I think, not a replacement for Dr. Weir. Do you really think she might replace Weir one day?
                    Oh, I don't really think so. But Sam could definitely have filled that role. And been better.

I'm giving Weir a chance and am hopeful that I'll like her much better by the end of S1. It's been a struggle though. *sigh*
                    Last edited by keshou; 13 January 2005, 08:02 PM. Reason: spelling, typos, whatever
                    Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

That's ONE of the reasons I've not watched Atlantis. When they'd had Jessica Steen as Weir, I was very happy with that. I knew Jessica from the show Earth 2, and she played my fave character there. So, when I saw they'd picked an actress that I liked for Weir, I'd actually found a reason to give it a try it. Even though I haven't watched Atlantis, I saw what the new Weir was like in Lost City(s). I wasn't impressed. Amanda grabbed me immediately. If they'd left Jessica on Atlantis, I'd watch it, whether I was afraid of trusting these ptb with another show.

We seem to have similar tastes, Skydiver, so I think I'd feel the same way about needing a Sam (or Amanda) on Atlantis. For me, if I don't have a female lead I want to follow, 75 percent of me being 'into' a show is gone.

Sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                        That's ONE of the reasons I've not watched Atlantis. When they'd had Jessica Steen as Weir, I was very happy with that. I knew Jessica from the show Earth 2, and she played my fave character there. So, when I saw they'd picked an actress that I liked for Weir, I'd actually found a reason to give it a try it. Even though I haven't watched Atlantis, I saw what the new Weir was like in Lost City(s). I wasn't impressed. Amanda grabbed me immediately. If they'd left Jessica on Atlantis, I'd watch it, whether I was afraid of trusting these ptb with another show.

We seem to have similar tastes, Skydiver, so I think I'd feel the same way about needing a Sam (or Amanda) on Atlantis. For me, if I don't have a female lead I want to follow, 75 percent of me being 'into' a show is gone.

Sally
                        You might wanna give it a chance -- lots of other good characters and even the new Dr. Weir is pretty good, although I agree, Jessica was better and cuter She's no Col. Carter, however.

Comment

[...] when she jumped/fell backwards through the stargate in the ep 2001. Now THAT is brave! Great moment (except for the way the guys barely reacted to it once she landed in the gateroom). I actually taped that end scene, because I thought it was so cool.

Sally
                          Originally posted by coley
                          That shot of her cutting the rope was brilliant though!!Apparently Amanda did actually dangle on the end of a rope for quite some time to get the shot (Is there nothing she won't do for the show?)
                          MajorSal, Thanks again for starting this thread!
                          I have thoroughly enjoyed reading, posting and participating!

As a little 'Thank You', I made some screen capture strips from the episode that you cited above, '2001'. These took a couple of hours, but I like the end products!

All photos are screen captures from the episode '2001'

When I was stepping through the frames on the DVD, I realized that they were actually showing us the SGC end of the wormhole as we approached it from inside the wormhole! (It's the bright white area).

I agree, MajorSal, this was one of my favorite Sam-scenes. And it was just an exceptionally cool scene...To hang over the horizontal gate, cut the rope and then free-fall into the wormhole...and then shoot out onto the SGC ramp! Just a cool idea and they filmed it exceptionally well.

Now, the guys' lack of reaction? I was astounded with that when I saw the episode... the guys' lack of reaction just looked cold and... it didn't look like they were in the scene... looked like they were still waiting for the director to say 'OK, this one's for real'! Part of the effect however, is the way the scene was cut -- when I was stepping through the frames as Sam tumbled down the ramp, you can see Jack and Daniel are reacting in the background- Jack is wincing and grimacing empathetically as Sam repeatedly bangs into the ramp and Daniel looks like he wants to help. However, as soon as Sam stops, the guys just stand there. The director needed to do something about that.

Now, for those whose eyesight was too challenged by the above small pics, here are some larger versions that are easier to see.

All of these images are screen captures from the episode 2001.
                          Last edited by astrogeologist; 14 January 2005, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                            MajorSal, Thanks again for starting this thread!
                            I have thoroughly enjoyed reading, posting and participating!

As a little 'Thank You', I made some screen capture strips from the episode that you cited above, '2001'. These took a couple of hours, but I like the end products!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...therope100.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...rmhole100B.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...theramp100.jpg

All photos are screen captures from the episode '2001'

When I was stepping through the frames on the DVD, I realized that they were actually showing us the SGC end of the wormhole as we approached it from inside the wormhole! (It's the bright white area).

I agree, MajorSal, this was one of my favorite Sam-scenes. And it was just an exceptionally cool scene...To hang over the horizontal gate, cut the rope and then free-fall into the wormhole...and then shoot out onto the SGC ramp! Just a cool idea and they filmed it exceptionally well.

Now, the guys' lack of reaction? I was astounded with that when I saw the episode... the guys' lack of reaction just looked cold and... it didn't look like they were in the scene... looked like they were still waiting for the director to say 'OK, this one's for real'! Part of the effect however, is the way the scene was cut -- when I was stepping through the frames as Sam tumbled down the ramp, you can see Jack and Daniel are reacting in the background- Jack is wincing and grimacing empathetically as Sam repeatedly bangs into the ramp and Daniel looks like he wants to help. However, as soon as Sam stops, the guys just stand there. The director needed to do something about that.

Now, for those whose eyesight was too challenged by the above small pics, here are some larger versions that are easier to see.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...rope150bmp.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ormhole150.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...theramp150.jpg

All of these images are screen captures from the episode 2001.
                            You are *so* wonderful to do this!

(((astrogeologist)))

You're our 'show' of the show and tell.

Now about the guys not reacting... I'd first heard that the guys didn't want to wait for the change in camera set up, because they'd wanted to go home. I didn't believe it. The next thing I'd heard was the guys weren't there at the same time that Amanda was, which is why we didn't get to see them react to her. Then, I heard it was officially the first thing I'd said. It was late, the guys were tired, and they didn't want to wait for the camera crew to set up for a different shot(s). I remember Amanda saying that she said to them that the guys would show concern for Sam. I still have a hard time believing this, and I hope to hear otherwise someday. The only thing that didn't ruin the scene was Amanda.

Sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                              I feel that any actor has to take on some of the personality of their character after acting them for 8 seasons. And I think one of the greatest features about Sam's character is that she is down to earth, and one thing I have always loved about Stargate is that because of the military setting, and regulation military uniform, sam has always been dressed simply, which allows her true beauty and her characters personality to shine through.

Sam is one of my most favourite characters of the SG1 team. She is everything I have ever wanted to be, from her scientiffic knowledge to her as a person. Maybe this is why I love her so-called technobabble, as I want to be able to oneday understand every word of it. And there is no-one other than Amanda Tapping who could play Sam's character like she does.
                              Nicely written deepspace!

Comment

Now about the guys not reacting... I'd first heard that the guys didn't want to wait for the change in camera set up, because they'd wanted to go home. I didn't believe it. The next thing I'd heard was the guys weren't there at the same time that Amanda was, which is why we didn't get to see them react to her. Then, I heard it was officially the first thing I'd said. It was late, the guys were tired, and they didn't want to wait for the camera crew to set up for a different shot(s). I remember Amanda saying that she said to them that the guys would show concern for Sam. I still have a hard time believing this, and I hope to hear otherwise someday. The only thing that didn't ruin the scene was Amanda.
                                The guys' lack of reaction made that final scene look pretty weird. I'm surprised that they left the final edit as it was - there just must not have been time to make the guys do it over on another day.

I understand that some folks complained about the lack of emotion in the final scene of Abyss (where SG-1 is standing around O'Neill's bed in the infirmary)... and AT said that that time the reason was because it was shot out of sequence - that they shot the last scene before they'd shot any of the other scenes for that episode. Jumping around from filming a scene from this episode, then a scene from that one, then a scene from another one... all in the same day - I have no idea how the actors do it!

Comment

Working...
                                X