This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Thing From Ernest's Planet...

anyone remember from season one's episode "Torment of Tantalus" there was a room for the nox, asgard, ancients, and furlings to communicates via a dhd like device in the middle of the room that has all the atoms or w.e? was this episode expanded on in later episodes? even mentioned?...would be kool to have a movie based around this, or just something to expand on it, i beleive daniel said it was "meaning of life stuff" with what we know shouldnt we just take a ship over there and check it out some more?

sig made courtesy of M2W

Well considering what happened in season 10's final episode, I think that it's not really needed, especially with access to Atlantis.

It would be a nice thing to have, because who knows what else the device could contain but we've had ships for 4 seasons and nothing to sugget anything about going back.

sigpic

Comment

It kinda got destroyed when the building fell into the ocean 100m below..

Comment

Well that's not certain. It's possible that it was designed to survive anything consider it's importance. All we know is that the gate was buried. Anything could have happened.

sigpic

Comment

they did say that the room with the device was the safest place in the whole building, its possible that it did survive.

the building was a meeting place for four great races. the room had writings in four langauges on the walls, arranged around the device in the centre. is it possible that the device was a treaty between the races, that set out their aims for the alliance? with the device in the centre of the room and the races represented by their respective writings on the walls around it, thinking purely in a literal sense, the device if it represents a treaty is 'between' the great races.

it has never been mentioned again in the whole ten years of SG-1, even Ernest has never been seen again and only mentioned in passing. it seems unlikely that we'll ever find out what was really in the device

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
            they did say that the room with the device was the safest place in the whole building, its possible that it did survive.

the building was a meeting place for four great races. the room had writings in four langauges on the walls, arranged around the device in the centre. is it possible that the device was a treaty between the races, that set out their aims for the alliance? with the device in the centre of the room and the races represented by their respective writings on the walls around it, thinking purely in a literal sense, the device if it represents a treaty is 'between' the great races.

it has never been mentioned again in the whole ten years of SG-1, even Ernest has never been seen again and only mentioned in passing. it seems unlikely that we'll ever find out what was really in the device
            He's most likely dead. He wasn't even there when his girlfriend died. As for the significance, they used scientific symbols to communicate because they all had different written languages. As for all the information, the Tau're probably have 90-100% of that info by 2007.
            sigpic
            "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
            ~David Hewlett

Comment

Well the actor who played Ernest died over 4 years ago, so I think it would be safe to say that the character has died as well. However there hasn't been any on screen confirmation he's died so it's not exactly certain.

sigpic

Comment

there are many unsolved issues and plts in stargate like whatever happened to daniels grandfather when he stayed with the mist aliens and why there isnt any fish in jacks pond?????
                sigpic

Comment

There are fish in his pond, mystery solved.

sigpic

Comment

Since 'Mobius, pt 2' I think it was, there has been fish in Jack's pond.

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

yes, that Jack is dead.

Ernest is most probably dead by now, concidering he was older than Catherine Langford.

Chalk this in the big board of plot holes they left.
                      Visit my Website

Comment

I wouldnt call it plotholes but rather unfinished stories.

Comment

I think the meeting place is really, really old. I believe that it was created in the early days of the alliance of the 4 great races, before they learned each others' langauges. Perhaps it was where they met at first before the alliance was created even. Maybe it was where they met to get to know each other and learn each others' langauges and knowledge. Daniel said that it was a place to communicate and that they used the element interface to do it. We know now that the Asgard know the ancient language and can translate it in realtime, as seen in The Fifth Race and New Order. How long they've been able to though is another question. After they learned each others languages though, the purpose for the meeting place became obsolete. I think it was just abandoned. I see a parallel with Babylon 5 here. After the Interstellar Alliance moved its headquarters to Minbar, B5 became obsolete and eventually it was abandoned and destroyed. After Ernest's meeting place was abandoned, it was eventually forgotten, as we've never seen another reference to it. Though it does come to mind the actuall purpose and history of the meeting place could be found in either the Ancient database or the Asgard history database.
                          That's the plan?!? That's the plan. That plan sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by 123NotIt View Post
                            I think the meeting place is really, really old. I believe that it was created in the early days of the alliance of the 4 great races, before they learned each others' langauges.
                            How do you form an alliance if you can't communicate with the other species?

Maybe it was where they met to get to know each other and learn each others' langauges and knowledge.
                            Generally you would get to know them and have formal communications established before you share your knowledge with other species.

After they learned each others languages though, the purpose for the meeting place became obsolete. I think it was just abandoned.
                            It might have been abandoned, but it was hardly obsolete. It was left for any new species that found it and wanted to learn, if they could figure it out that is.

After Ernest's meeting place was abandoned, it was eventually forgotten, as we've never seen another reference to it. Though it does come to mind the actuall purpose and history of the meeting place could be found in either the Ancient database or the Asgard history database.
                            The reason we haven't seen a reference to it is probably because - like every other great mystery in StarGate - the writers didn't feel it needed revisiting. There's about 20 or so other episodes where the writers introduced something very cool and never got around to revisiting it or explaining it.
                            Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

we should rly go via ship and check it out, considering we are not "the fifth race". DAMNIT if only SG-1 could continue

Comment

Working...
                              X