Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would get the biggest fan response? ( Major Casting Spoilers S1-4)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would get the biggest fan response? ( Major Casting Spoilers S1-4)

I'm not asking which would be better or worse, or liked or disliked. I'm asking which would cause more fans to contact/respond to/petition the Stargate: Atlantis PTB.
    • A Torri IS in the opening credits in Season 4, and Mallozi gloats on his blog about her demotion being a hoax.
    • B Wier dies in the opening scene of S4 (pre-credits), and her "arc involvement" is regarding her funeral, and the characters copping with her death.
    • C Amanda is only in one episode, in a cameo role. Mallozi gloats on his blog that Carter coming over was a hoax.
    • D Carter being promoted to full Colonel, and takes command of Shepps team, w/ Shepp as the 2IC.
    • E Beckett is still there in S4 (as chief medical officer), and his death is never mentioned. Keller is MIA, also never mentioned.

Rank them from most to least fan response.
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

• B - After what happened to Beckett, I would expect a Save Weir campaign to kick into high gear, something that could rival the Beckett campaign. If she died, then I would expect fans to do the same thing as the Beckett fans and I think that this would get the most reaction as a lot of people like the actress, character and I believe that people would react badly to how she dies.

Beckett died a hero, but Weir just died, so I can see this upsetting people because of what went on. Plus any arc dealing with her death would just be worse, because there was no big mourn Daniel arc, no big mourn Beckett arc, so why would Weir need an arc about her death.

It would upset the fans because they could expect her return and doing something great, but her arc is something that won't even involve her unless they cheap out with flashbacks or have an imaginary ghost of her. Overall it would be a bad way to treat the character and that would just piss her fans off.
    • E - After everything the fans have done with the Save Beckett campaign, part of me thinks this could get the most reaction because the entire Campaign has did everything from letters to rally's in trying to get Beckett back.

Either way, if they always planned to bring him back then the SB campaign was just a waste of fans time and they could react badly to it, because they did so much (the bad response) or they could be told their work got him back which would get a lot of reaction from fans for doing such a good job (the good response).

• D - I think this would get a lot of reaction, mostly outrage as Carter would be replacing a character who's earned his place as team leader for 3 seasons. She'd already be taking his place as Atlantis leader or at least Military leader of Atlantis (because she outranks him, even as a Lt. Col) so going as far as to completely replace his roles even with him there would be a bad thing.

• A - I think people would just be glad she's back and leave it at that really. they may talk about how it wasn't good to be cruel like that and annouce her leaving but I think her being back would be all people would need.

• C - I don't think people were ever fond of this idea to begin with. I think that if Carter wasn't in the show, only Carter fans would be upset. I think more fans were upset she could take over Weir and Shep, plus replace Rodney so you've got three groups of fans being upset their character could be replaced, wait 4, because if they include more Mckay/Carter than McKay/Zelenka then Zelenka fans would be upset as well. Where as carter not being there would just upset Carter fans.

sigpic

Comment

E because it would mean we were successful in kicking J.M.s behind I also would be very happy for A & C to come true. On the whole I can only agree with SaberBlade.
      He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
      He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
      And he's wonderful.

Comment

I don't know about the mechanics of it, but I'd love to :

1.- Bring Beckett back.
        2.- Keep Weir in control of Atlantis. She deserves it.
        3.- Carter ??? Carter who ???

Comment

D, probably.

Comment

I don't get the point of this exercise.

We don't have enough to discuss and debate already with the vast changes taking place that we're forced to make up outlandish scenarios and imagine how we'd respond to them?

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
              I don't get the point of this exercise.

We don't have enough to discuss and debate already with the vast changes taking place that we're forced to make up outlandish scenarios and imagine how we'd respond to them?

With respect to the thread starter I agree. Those scenairos are purely speculation upon speculation.
              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

E! i think that carson could be like stargate kenny i wish he could just come back and not have to be explained
                sigpic

Comment

The one thing B has going for it is that it would justify all the fears and cynicism certain fans have expressed. And it'd be a good "I told you so" to the ones who sneered at those fears and cynicism.

Plus, it'd make it easier for those who've said they're gonna stop watching to actually stop watching. LOL! Nothing says "frak you" like telling the fans your favorite character is going to have an important arc and then killing her off instead. It'd get the message across quite loudly.
                  Last edited by ShadowMaat; 03 April 2007, 09:16 AM. Reason: your not you're *headdesk*

Comment

I'm chewing over who exactly would be offended by the above actions, since unhappy consumers tend to write in more than happy ones.

A - Weir fans would probably be upset that they were jerked around, general fans might be upset at Joe M's callous attitude toward fans.

B - Weir fans would be pissed to high hell.

C - Carter fans would be upset that they were jerked around, general fans might be upset at Joe M's callous attitude toward fans.

D - Shep fans would be upset.

E - Beckett fans may be upset (ignoring a very significant event for his character), fans of continuity and common sense would be upset.

So based on the amount of anger and the fandom groups involved, I'd rank it from largest to smallest response as: B, D, A, C, E.

Comment

Why is this thread still open? I mean we have tons of threads debating these issues. Why does everyone need to start their own thread for something discussed in 20 other threads?

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
                        Why is this thread still open? I mean we have tons of threads debating these issues. Why does everyone need to start their own thread for something discussed in 20 other threads?
                        I find it an interesting thread and another aspect of the changes that isn't discussed elsewhere is discussed here, namely what would cause the biggest reactions from fans.
                        Torri Higginson: "Elizabeth had a mad crush on Sheppard."
                        at Halfway Con - Sparktastic weekend with Joe and Torri, on October 30, 2011

R.I.P. Stargate Atlantis (S1-S3)

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                          I'm chewing over who exactly would be offended by the above actions, since unhappy consumers tend to write in more than happy ones.

A - Weir fans would probably be upset that they were jerked around, general fans might be upset at Joe M's callous attitude toward fans.

B - Weir fans would be pissed to high hell.

C - Carter fans would be upset that they were jerked around, general fans might be upset at Joe M's callous attitude toward fans.

D - Shep fans would be upset.

E - Beckett fans may be upset (ignoring a very significant event for his character), fans of continuity and common sense would be upset.

So based on the amount of anger and the fandom groups involved, I'd rank it from largest to smallest response as: B, D, A, C, E.
                          Well your 1000% right about angry fans being louder than happy ones, but....
                          I think confused fans might be the loudest.

I'd put "E" at either the first or 2nd highest response. Personally, Carson being back out of the clear blue would have me on writing the second I could. Think about it:

: Hello Rodney.
                          : Carson, where did you come from?
                          : I was grabbing lunch. It's Lasagna day.
                          : Oh, alright, I'll have to go get some. See you later.

I'd be shocked, and confused. I'd surely be writing someone over that.
                          sigpic
                          "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                          ~David Hewlett

Comment

D

Comment

I have to say what is going on right now would garner the biggest response. Carter taking command of Atlantis.
                              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X