PDA

View Full Version : Casting a known lead for SGU

Major_Griff
March 31st, 2007, 10:32 AM
Does any one else think that they should try to get a lead actor for SGU that is more of a big name? Some one who they could say 'Blah Blah stars in Stargate Universe' in all the ads like they did with RDA for SG-1 to kind of give the ratings a boost. Don't get me wrong, I love the current cast of SG-1 and the cast of SGA, but I think both shows kind of suffer, ratings wise, from not being able to have that tag in the ads. It wouldn't have to be anyone huge, RDA was never Robert DeNiro or Johnny Depp but he was known enough to be a drawl. I'm sure there are plenty of known tv actors out there who would like to get a job in a franchise where the show has the potential to last 10 years to get that kind of steady work. Maybe some one like Scott Bacula (who despite being on Enterprise would be perfect in my mind. I loved Quantum Leap.) or David Duchovney. Both of them are mostly known for other scifi shows, and it would be better to have someone who would bring veiwers in from outside the genre but they were the only examples I could think of off the top of my head and I think both of them are big enough to bring that drawl that RDA did.

ColCaldwell
March 31st, 2007, 11:14 AM
I agree we need some sort of well known. I love the SG-1 and Atlantis cast, but I feel SG-1 was hurt once RDA left.

marty2006
March 31st, 2007, 11:19 AM
I agree we do need well known stagate character in sgu however not as the lead, still as a major character though

somme
March 31st, 2007, 11:32 AM
No because then they're bigger than the show and it shouldn't be like that.

I love Lost because I didn't know who the hell they all were, except Charlie of course.

I don't mind recurring "knowns" but not one as a lead.

Skydiver
March 31st, 2007, 11:43 AM
I think we need a nobody. In fact, i think the whole cast needs to be nobodies. Cast for chemistry with each other and don't sweat the names.

A known actor will bring baggage with him/her and if the show is to get off the ground, it doesn't need any baggage

DelTrax1
March 31st, 2007, 11:45 AM
I agree with a nobody.....but a good nobody. If you have a big name the show won't last as long. To much money involved in that for sure.

Nikki
March 31st, 2007, 12:38 PM
I agree, a nobody would be good but I think that we should have one or two actors from either SG1 or SGA like they did with SGA by bringing in Weir and McKay from SG1 to get more original fans to come over. I know that I started watching SGA from the first ep because TPTB said that there'd be appearances from the original cast of SG1 and now I love the show. Otherwise I don't think I would have watched it as I'm not an avid Sci-fi fan. SG1 and SGA are the only ones I watch.

But if TPTB were gonna go for a well known somebody...I'd love to see David Boreanaz (from Buffy, Angel, Bones) as a lead or co-lead. He's good looking and a brilliant actor with versatility. I think he'd be great ;) . However, Bones seems to be doing really well ATM, which is great because I love the show, so I doubt they could cast him anyway. :(

Ripple in Space
March 31st, 2007, 01:04 PM
RDA was never Robert DeNiro or Johnny Depp but he was known enough to be a drawl. I'm sure there are plenty of known tv actors out there who would like to get a job in a franchise where the show has the potential to last 10 years to get that kind of steady work. Maybe some one like Scott Bacula (who despite being on Enterprise would be perfect in my mind. I loved Quantum Leap.) or David Duchovney. Both of them are mostly known for other scifi shows, and it would be better to have someone who would bring veiwers in from outside the genre but they were the only examples I could think of off the top of my head and I think both of them are big enough to bring that drawl that RDA did.

That's a good idea. Personally RDA's name didn't draw me in, since I've never even seen MacGyver, but his acting skills helped make me a fan. No offense, but Scott Bacula isn't on RDA's level of fame. RDA is a household name in America (mostly from MacGyver I guess), SNL did a new recurring sketch in January '07 about RDA/MacGyver.

The guy did a big super bowl MasterCard commercial, and I saw him on a featured segment on Entertainment Tonight a little while ago (about him & his family, and their new house, not any of his characters). Scott Bacula would have to set himself on fire in time square (New York City) to get anywhere near that kind of coverage, and even then.....

Duchoveney could do it (fame wise), but I don't see him playing a jack/shep/cam alpha male type role. I do like him though.

Boreanaz would never do it. Aside from being the male lead on a major network now, I still don't think he'd do it even if he weren't working. He could've easily done a DVD/TV Movie to continue Angel, but he didn't want to. I think he resented being a SciFi icon.

I can't really think of anyone.

Sparky13
March 31st, 2007, 01:21 PM
Who knew who Joe Flanigan was before SGA? Or Michael Shanks. Yes, whoever said it above, cast for chemistry, cast for talent and for the ability to inhabit the lead character, rather than choosing a known actor for his or her name. There are so many great actors out there, people we've never heard of. Let's see one of them!

Admiral Mappalazarou
March 31st, 2007, 01:25 PM
Maybe the guy from 24 or someone from BSG...

Ripple in Space
March 31st, 2007, 03:18 PM
Who knew who Joe Flanigan was before SGA? Or Michael Shanks. Yes, whoever said it above, cast for chemistry, cast for talent and for the ability to inhabit the lead character, rather than choosing a known actor for his or her name. There are so many great actors out there, people we've never heard of. Let's see one of them!

I'm saying do it for both name & chemistry, so maybe we'll get a rating jumps instead of stagnant or declining ratings like Atlantis.

I can only think of 1 or 2 bad casting choices on Stargate:

Wayne Brady - I'm a big fan of his, but I didn't see him as a believable First Prime.

Whoever played Zipacna - I didn't care for his original take on the role. He played Zipacna as androgynous, and despicable. This wasn't a lack-of-talent situation, I just didn't like his early appearances. Later on, when he was recruiting Osiris he was a bit better.

Falcon Horus
March 31st, 2007, 03:30 PM
I'd say they start fresh, new cast and new writers.

And whether the cast be bodies or nobodies, I don't really care. The stories should be the ones that draw the people in. Tell good stories, add in a flavored cast and the audience will watch.

monkey_man132
March 31st, 2007, 03:39 PM
Anyone else find it funny we already all know what SGU stands for?:)

Ripple in Space
March 31st, 2007, 05:01 PM
I hope it changes, because it's a terrible name.

Krisz
March 31st, 2007, 05:11 PM

Totally agree. I remember seeing the odd episode of MacGyver but I never connected that to RDA when I started watching Stargate. It was his portrayal of O'Neill and the interaction between the characters and great storytelling that got me hooked.

Again, I wouldn't be at all bothered who played the parts in SGU as long as it has a good story and believable well rounded characters.

Skydiver
March 31st, 2007, 06:33 PM
i don't want any of the known cast members to be int his third series, if it ever really gets made. i think they'll be too much of a crutch. too much of a stunt.

If this show is to have any hope of lasting more htan 2 seasons, it needs to be 100% fresh...or at least 95%. anyone that has a past with the show will forever be compared to who they used to be. which is why i don't want a known actor. if david B is used....all it'll be is 'former angel star.....' and his fans from before will be drawn into the fandom with an endless 'oh he was so much better when he was playing angel'

and i'm not saying htis to diss anyone, i'm honestly not, but it's just an example of the baggage a known actor brings with him/her.

a cast of unknowns will be cheaper. they won't have the baggage of their career.

when they cast for sg1 originally, yes, they had rick as a name, but amanda, michael and chris were all cast not just because they had talent, but because they got along. they played well together adn that off screen relationship came through in the onscreen interactions.

and those interactions are part of what drew so many people to the show.

If SGU is to last and survive - presuming it ever happens - it needs

totally new unknown cast
new creative team
new writers

and the more they compromise and keep ahold of the old, the weaker the show will be. If they stunt cast for a big name, keep the same creative team and same writers...we're not gonna get a new show, we're just gonna get a retread of the same old stuff they've been doing for years....and the show will be effectively doomed.

Major_Griff
March 31st, 2007, 06:46 PM
I agree that you should first and foremost cast actors on their chemistry with the other actors, but you have to start somewhere. On SG-1 they cast RDA and then picked AT MS CJ and DSD based on their chemisrty with him. If they could find a known actor who can play whatever the role is that they write for the lead the way the envision it being portrayed then get him in the show, if not then find an unknown, who ever is best for the part. But if a known actor is best, they can use his name to help sell the show which will help keep the SG franchise alive longer.

MasySyma
March 31st, 2007, 07:27 PM
I agree with the idea that the cast should be mostly unknowns. Perhaps one actor with a reputation, but absolutely no one who is known for doing science fiction of any kind.

No Patrick Stewart, Chris Eccelston, Michael Shanks or anyone connected with Farscape, Firefly, Doctor Who, BSG, Heroes, Lost, or any of the Treks. Many of these actors are great, but they were great on their respective shows.

If anyone from another scifi show comes to the new series, the comparisions could bury the show. I already despise the Fargate remarks, even if I think they don't apply.

All characters from SG-1 and SGA should also be banned in anything other than the pilot or a 1 time appearance once a season, and frankly, no moving characters from one show to salvage mistakes on another. SG-1 had its issues. SGA should be allowed to have its own problems, and SGU (I agree that the name sucks) needs to have its own character development. No Carter, Teal'c, or any of the beloved SG-1 characters, no Jonas, no Weir, and no salvaging a minor character either. Either make a new show or retire the franchise for a bit. I already watched the Trek franchise die (Enterprise), and I don't want it too happen to one of my favorite shows.

Personally, I am not thrilled about the new show being ready so soon. I have enjoyed SG-1 for many years now, but I've already learned that the writers recycled SG-1 plots too often in Atlantis. I don't watch SGA anymore because of its lack of character development and old SG-1 plots, and I don't see how the new show will avoid rehashing what the writers have already done. I agree that new writers are needed immediately. The new Doctor Who series has too spinoffs, and the producers have brought in additional writers to help keep all three shows running well.

When I see the information regarding the new show, I see a plot that basically means that a team of adventurers in our universe will travel through a gate to have adventures. I enjoyed that plot for 10 years with SG-1, but I either want 10 more years of SG-1, which isn't going to happen, or a new show, and if the writers can't deliver a new product, they will soon find that the ratings for the new show will be worse than either the current disappointing numbers of SG-1 or SGA.

Ripple in Space
March 31st, 2007, 08:07 PM
What about a semi-known cast?

A fresh, young cast:

Wylie Quinn Annarose Anderson - "a leader, someone who'll laugh in the face of" his her "enemy, even when it's inappropriate"

Tatiana Shanks - "a bookworm adventurer who can say "brains" and "guts" in twenty-seven languages"

Christopher Judge Jr. - "some new meat for the team: preferably something…bald, mysterious…you know, the warrior type with lots of, you know…muscles."

Olivia B. Tapping Kovacs - "the most beautiful, battle-ready, scientific genius"

Dromag67
March 31st, 2007, 08:10 PM

A fresh, young cast:

Wylie Quinn Annarose Anderson - "a leader, someone who'll laugh in the face of" his her "enemy, even when it's inappropriate"

Tatiana Shanks - "a bookworm adventurer who can say "brains" and "guts" in twenty-seven languages"

Christopher Judge Jr. - "some new meat for the team: preferably something…bald, mysterious…you know, the warrior type with lots of, you know…muscles."

Olivia B. Tapping Kovacs - "the most beautiful, battle-ready, scientific genius"

LOL, nice.

MasySyma
March 31st, 2007, 08:11 PM

A fresh, young cast:

Hmmm. It would be a young cast, but we might have need a slightly taller cast in general. Potty Training preferred. :)

garhkal
March 31st, 2007, 08:23 PM
Using teal;c son.. that is laughable.. those surprisingly i can envision it..

Locutus_Of_Borg
March 31st, 2007, 08:45 PM
id like Gary Senise as a scientist or something........AND IF i hear any of you crazy gate fans saying "tom cruse tom cruse" i will personally come to your house and physically.......educate you..., anyway i was thinking someone on the lines of...not because hes from Star Wars but i mean as an actor Ewan McGregor......hes got that....touch to him but not necessarely as the lead but someone in the show.......i guess we'll just leave the lead to the writers because they havent done too bad considering........RDA and Joe Flanigan have been pretty good (im intentionally not including BB)

wilson359
March 31st, 2007, 11:48 PM
What about Nathan Fillion (Malcolm) or Adam Baldwin (Jayne) from Firefly in the lead role,

Gelasius
April 1st, 2007, 06:15 AM
duchovny and col. coldwell, it would be like the good ole days again...plus duchovny is already familiar with the asgard :P. seriously though i think coldwell would be a great lead for the SGU.

Gelasius

Ripple in Space
April 1st, 2007, 11:39 AM
id like Gary Senise as a scientist or something........AND IF i hear any of you crazy gate fans saying "tom cruse tom cruse" i will personally come to your house and physically.......educate you..., anyway i was thinking someone on the lines of...not because hes from Star Wars but i mean as an actor Ewan McGregor......hes got that....touch to him but not necessarely as the lead but someone in the show.......i guess we'll just leave the lead to the writers because they havent done too bad considering........RDA and Joe Flanigan have been pretty good (im intentionally not including BB)

I don't particularly like Star Wars. The whole silly, goofy aliens thing really turns me off to a franchise. The somewhat "real" tone of SG1 S2-6 is what drew me in. Anyway, I still think Ewan's a great actor. Gary Senise is good too (I don't know if he could crack a joke though).

The only prob is, taking on a spin-off of a 1-foot-in-the-ground cable/DVD franchise would be a MAJOR MAJOR step down for either of those guys. Senise stars in part of the #1 TV franchise in America & the entire world. And Ewan headlines blockbuster action movies.

Using teal;c son.. that is laughable.. those surprisingly i can envision it..

You know all of them are the children of :jack: :tealc: :sam: & :daniel: . Bonus points for anyone who knows where the character descriptions came from.

Major_Griff
April 1st, 2007, 11:43 AM
You know all of them are the children of :jack: :tealc: :sam: & :daniel: . Bonus points for anyone who knows where the character descriptions came from.

200 duh! :jack:

Major_Griff
April 1st, 2007, 11:47 AM
Back on topic, though, I think that having a scientst type character as the lead would be a great change of pace from the wise cracking air force special ops character that we have in Jack and Shep and to some extent Cam Shaft. I think that would help make SGU seperate from the other two shows.

Ripple in Space
April 1st, 2007, 12:01 PM
^Well they tried putting a civilian, bleeding heart diplomat in command on Atlantis, and now they're demoting her to recurring.

As for a science-scientist, watch Atlantis S3, if Meredith isn't the lead, then I don't know who is. And TPTB didn't see fit to keep Amanda as the lead in SG-1 S9-10, and she was a seasoned character w/ a great ensemble cast.

Matt G
April 1st, 2007, 01:54 PM
There will definately be AN actor with previous scifi experience amongst the leads whether peeps like it or not. That's official SG casting policy last time I checked, they prefer actors used to scifi vocab!

This could mean transferring a previously established SG recurring character to 'Universe'(i.e Zelenka and/or a familiar military face from SG1). Or this could mean transferring a known scifi name from elsewhere.

As for who, well they tried sniffing round Dean Cain and Ben Browder as John Sheppard when starting up Atlantis. Browder was doing the Farscape mini at the time so had to turn it down. A year later, he got signed up to play Cam Mitchell in SG1.

I don't know the exact reasons for Cain not getting hired, but him getting sniffed round again is certainly a possibility.

Drizzt Do'Urden
April 1st, 2007, 02:01 PM
gotta be a nobody shows with big names tend to do poorly from what i've seen as opposed to shows that get a bunch of nobodies

the fifth man
April 1st, 2007, 02:05 PM
Personally, I wouldn't want too big of a name in the lead role on SGU. I wouldn't want that person overshadowing the other team members.

Skydiver
April 1st, 2007, 05:57 PM
i don't mind and would like it to be an experienced actor (notice how we all just know it won't be an actress....not with these boy handling the show)

but i think if he's too much of an icon in anyway, it'll just be a handicap

MasySyma
April 1st, 2007, 06:31 PM
^Well they tried putting a civilian, bleeding heart diplomat in command on Atlantis, and now they're demoting her to recurring.

As for a science-scientist, watch Atlantis S3, if Meredith isn't the lead, then I don't know who is. And TPTB didn't see fit to keep Amanda as the lead in SG-1 S9-10, and she was a seasoned character w/ a great ensemble cast.

Actually, they didn't put a "civillian, bleeding heart diplomat" in charge of Atlantis originally. At the end of Season 8, Weir was a commanding, strong, leader capable of making solid, rational choices. She also did ok during the first year of the show, but then certain people forgot to develop her character and decided that the show needed more shippiness than plot, and soon a strong, decisive, and fantastic female character became a cliche of passive female indeciveness, leading to great fan frustration. Moreover, instead of fixing the problem, these same people eject characters when they cannot figure out what to do with them, resulting in Weir's new status.

Also, these same people don't know how to handle female characters. Carter become so two-dimensional that she became super Carter, and when they finally decided to give her a backstory and a few flaws, the story was too ridiculous for most fans to accept. Now, she also makes poor choices, can't lead, and appears confused unlike the interesting, complex character of earlier seasons. I like Carter, but I don't want to see the writers just have her spouting techno-babble on any show. They can't figure out what to do with Teyla, and Vala is merely a new toy for the moment. She gets developed sometimes and often left to be a vamp others.

None of these characters should move to the new show, and I like Vala too, but frankly, I'd be nervous seeing any actress lead the new series because of how the writers have botched female characters too often.

That said, I'm also tired of the cynical male with the quirky comments in charge approach. Again, it's been done before by these writers. I want a new show, with new characters, and new actors, not a recycling of what came before.

Skydiver
April 1st, 2007, 06:48 PM
guys, let's not descend this thread into a lengthy discussion of mistakes of series past. It's been covered and covered adn covered.

Of course any speculation as to the lead and rationale behind the decisions will be based on past performances, but this isn't the 'who should lead' or 'sam sucks' 'weir sucks' etc thread.

This is about whether or not we consider casting a known lead for SGU to be a wise idea or not.

Let's see how close we can keep it on topic please

Agent_Dark
April 1st, 2007, 06:54 PM
Also, these same people don't know how to handle female characters. Carter become so two-dimensional that she became super Carter, and when they finally decided to give her a backstory and a few flaws, the story was too ridiculous for most fans to accept. Now, she also makes poor choices, can't lead, and appears confused unlike the interesting, complex character of earlier seasons. I like Carter, but I don't want to see the writers just have her spouting techno-babble on any show. They can't figure out what to do with Teyla, and Vala is merely a new toy for the moment. She gets developed sometimes and often left to be a vamp others.

None of these characters should move to the new show, and I like Vala too, but frankly, I'd be nervous seeing any actress lead the new series because of how the writers have botched female characters too often.

That said, I'm also tired of the cynical male with the quirky comments in charge approach. Again, it's been done before by these writers. I want a new show, with new characters, and new actors, not a recycling of what came before.
The write male characters just as bad, perhaps even worse, imo.

dec55
April 1st, 2007, 07:08 PM
Dean Cain or Tom Selleck...or both would be great.....both can do drama and be comedic at
the same time. Basically I think they should stay away from formulamatic
character configurations...(Cocky hero, logical scientist, and love interest babe....emotional
doctor...etc.)

Keep the characters more "Earthy".....no super heroic geniuses...or campy funny alien.sidekicks dressed in tight outfits....

Be like CSI....or.....24......

Let the heroes be the service folks in uniform.....What made SG1 fun was
authentic feel of the Air Force personnel and troops...dealing with outrageous
situations.

Female lead....Lexa Doig as Lam would be excellent.....but have her more Earth based...and have no knowlege of Martial arts...... No romantic triangles....have all of them married and have kids.......

I just want more "grit".....and less....camp.....

Even better.....less orchestra music.....

Falcon Horus
April 2nd, 2007, 03:11 AM
i don't mind and would like it to be an experienced actor (notice how we all just know it won't be an actress....not with these boy handling the show)

If they decide on a female lead, she'll be demoted by the time season 2 rolls around the corner.

I wouldn't mind seeing them put a female in the lead, but I highly doubt that with their track-record.

...I'd be nervous seeing any actress lead the new series because of how the writers have botched female characters too often.

Skydiver
April 2nd, 2007, 04:55 AM
Keep the characters more "Earthy".....no super heroic geniuses...or campy funny alien.sidekicks dressed in tight outfits....

Be like CSI....or.....24......

Let the heroes be the service folks in uniform.....What made SG1 fun was
authentic feel of the Air Force personnel and troops...dealing with outrageous
situations.

sometimes i have to wonder if that was rick. Having met him even for a short time, i have to wonder if the actor's natural humility didn't bleed through and make part of jack o'neill.

I am NOT dissing ben or joe, i'm just saying that one thing folks found so endearing about the original team was that they were so ordinary and grounded. But it seems that these writers can't create anything ordinary and grounded. we seem to get a constant dose of 'OTT super hewo and his sidekick'

so if the writing can't do it, it must be the actors. And it's possible that rick, with his experience and exec producer title backing him up, brought a lot of the humanity to jack that the others, younger actors in a more vulnerable position (they're not producers so they really have no pull or say in things) just can't accomplish because they are bound by what is written.

Maybe, if we're to get a human acting lead we need an actor like William Peterson or Adam Baldwin...an actor without an ego. what we DON'T need is someone like David Caruso.....who inserts himself into every scene and makes teh show the David Caruso Hewo Hour

Randy_Watson
April 2nd, 2007, 06:09 AM
I'd love to see Adam Baldwin, but probably not as the leader.

jenks
April 2nd, 2007, 06:31 AM
^^ Indeed, I've been saying for a while it'd be good to have him back on Stargate, he's a good actor imo

http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/graphics/718_01.jpg

smurf
April 2nd, 2007, 07:16 AM
A named actor would be better if they wanted to sell the show to another network. I don't think Stargate is mainstream enough to get that many other networks interested without that hook.

But it would have to be a very good actor, or someone with huge amounts of charm and charisma, if they continue writing with the poor characterisation they have been.

Erin
April 2nd, 2007, 08:01 AM
Stephen Baldwin!!!! He would be perfect!!! He's witty, but can also pull off serious

JedI Master of the Gate
April 2nd, 2007, 08:02 AM
I agree with whoever said Dean Cain, because he's big enough of a name to be a draw-card, but yet he's still a relatively small name. Since Lois and Clark finished I've only seen him in 4 things; Hosting 'Ripleys: Belive It or Not', small part in the film 'Ratrace', a 2 or 3 ep guest apperence in 'Las Vagas', and as him self in a cameo on 'Robotchicken'.

He's perfect!

And as for the idea of moving to another network, wasn't MGM looking into that, but can't because or their Atlantis contract with Sci-Fi?

Death_Glider44
April 6th, 2007, 04:04 PM
hmmmm.... I wish they would just bring back RDA!!!!

Ripple in Space
April 6th, 2007, 05:46 PM
I agree with whoever said Dean Cain, because he's big enough of a name to be a draw-card, but yet he's still a relatively small name. Since Lois and Clark finished I've only seen him in 4 things; Hosting 'Ripleys: Belive It or Not', small part in the film 'Ratrace', a 2 or 3 ep guest apperence in 'Las Vagas', and as him self in a cameo on 'Robotchicken'.

He's perfect!

And as for the idea of moving to another network, wasn't MGM looking into that, but can't because or their Atlantis contract with Sci-Fi?

People made enough fun that "MacGyver" could be out-MacGyver-ed by Carter. Imagine the response when "Superman" gets overpowered by a few stinking Jaffa.

Mitchell82
April 6th, 2007, 05:56 PM
People made enough fun that "MacGyver" could be out-MacGyver-ed by Carter. Imagine the response when "Superman" gets overpowered by a few stinking Jaffa.

I love Dean Cain on Lois and Clark but he is not someone I want to see on Stargate.

cshawzye
April 6th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Problem with casting someone big is they'd most likely end up over-shadowing whatever the show was meant to be about. After a couple of shows the people that the big name drew in are probably more likely to leave the show than to stick around. Especially if the show runners are only relying on the big name and not getting the writing, the production, etc up to par.

I definitely agree with everyone who's said go for the actors who aren't known that well. Start fresh and look for the best chemistry. And not just the kind of chemistry that's going to make people want to ship characters together, but the kind of chemistry that fits with the characters you're trying to create.

Trying to stuff a known actor/actress into a part for name recognition isn't going to do anything except *maybe* get the show a bit of exposure. It may even backfire and make things seem forced/contrived, like the writing/production/whatever is simply playing up to what the "name" is known for doing. Start fresh and really work on building a strong foundation with SGU instead of relying on some actor/actress to set that foundation.

Major_Griff
July 15th, 2007, 07:51 AM
I think that Adam Balwin is a good suggestion since we already know him as Col. Dave Dixon. He's already part of the SG universe (pardon the pun) and he is like some said a name but not too big a name.

July 15th, 2007, 09:06 AM
how about Terry o'quinn, locke from lost, he'd make a really good seasoned marine or something, and from lost he's got the selling power i think

or how about hank azaria, i'd say hes well known enough to pull in veiwers, he's funny and would make a great archeologist or scientist.

Ripple in Space
July 15th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Michael Richards as the lead villain of a new race known as the "Big'gohts."

Noneareleft
July 15th, 2007, 10:52 AM
How about...

Sean Patrick Flanery?

He's done SG1 as Orlin before and seems to be able to pull off several different style rolls in his career. I think he would be a strong lead...

penguininablender
July 15th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Michael Richards as the lead villain of a new race known as the "Big'gohts."
lol...and he could hae big hair and burst through doors...with a Captn named Newman :D

how about Terry o'quinn, locke from lost, he'd make a really good seasoned marine or something, and from lost he's got the selling power i think

or how about hank azaria, i'd say hes well known enough to pull in veiwers, he's funny and would make a great archeologist or scientist.

I really hate Terry's acting..he is the same in everything.

Hank would be great as a nerdy scientist. He is so versatile, he is a great actor.

Although, they could just cast me and save the trouble ;)

spacecowboy000
July 15th, 2007, 11:24 AM
I think that Adam Balwin is a good suggestion since we already know him as Col. Dave Dixon. He's already part of the SG universe (pardon the pun) and he is like some said a name but not too big a name.

I agree. While I myself would prefer someone from SG1 for sentimental reasons, as with Atlantis, relatively unknown but established character/s is probably the way TPTB will go.

Jackie
July 15th, 2007, 11:28 AM
TPTB will probably make Rodney McKay the lead in the new series. "Stargate Universe, staring David Hewitt as Rodney McKay." *shivers*

Falcon Horus
July 15th, 2007, 11:29 AM
How about a female lead?

Jackie
July 15th, 2007, 11:31 AM
How about a female lead?

Rodney and his sister?

Falcon Horus
July 15th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Rodney and his sister?

Rodney would still be the lead. :p

I mean, really the lead and not second in lead.

penguininablender
July 15th, 2007, 12:35 PM
How about a female lead?

That's why I say they should cast me :D
I'll be up there in a few years to be an actress..so I should audition ;)

Arctic Goddess
July 15th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Does any one else think that they should try to get a lead actor for SGU that is more of a big name? Some one who they could say 'Blah Blah stars in Stargate Universe' in all the ads like they did with RDA for SG-1 to kind of give the ratings a boost. Maybe some one like Scott Bacula (who despite being on Enterprise would be perfect in my mind. I loved Quantum Leap.) or David Duchovney. .

Duchoveney could do it (fame wise), but I don't see him playing a jack/shep/cam alpha male type role. I do like him though.

David Duchovney made a huge deal about how much it rains in Vancouver, when he was on X-Files. For that reason, he probably wouldn't do a TV show filmed in Vancouver. He'd fuss and whine for it to be filmed in California. And, to be honest Canadians who remember him in that way, wouldn't want him back.

As for who would be great in the next series, maybe someone who guest stared on Stargate and demonstrated how good he was. Like Cliff Simon. Ba'al could either lose the Goa'uld and play the role as a human, or be a redeemed bad guy, similar to the "Spike" role in Angel.

Pitry
July 15th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Problem with casting someone big is they'd most likely end up over-shadowing whatever the show was meant to be about.

Why? Casting a relatively big name was exactly what they did with RDA. That turned out fantastic. And more and more people watched the show - as a matter of fact, people stopped watching just when he left,a s long as he was on the show, ratigns continued to rise.

Mike3121
July 15th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Nobody's would be best. I mean if they hire some big bucks star right off his pay would be a large percent of the budget. Then if the program is to last 10 years his pay would be through the roof. JAG was still a good ratings draw when it went under. One of the reasons it was taken off the air was the main actors pay was too high.

I remember David Duchovney of X-Files always complained of having to live in Vancouver BC. Also I gather he was difficult to work with. Hey casting people, I'm available.

zoislk
July 15th, 2007, 01:35 PM
I love Dean Cain on Lois and Clark but he is not someone I want to see on Stargate.

absolutely agree.

No way I want Dean Cain on Stargate. He just doesn't fit, and as much as I love Stargate, I probably wouldn't watch a Stargate starring Dean Cain.

I'd love David Duchovny, but not as a military guy and you can't have him anywhere near science, as it would get too XFiles-ish, along with his aforementioned problems with BC. But that's a shame, because his type of acting would fit in well.

Adam Baldwin might work. Maybe my favorite pick for likely candidates yet.

And I agree that there has to be someone recognizable on the show to draw in a crowd, otherwise it wouldn't get off the ground. It would fail worse than Atlantis. But I also agree that it can't be someone so big that they would constantly get compared to their other characters they've played..

Atlantis1
July 15th, 2007, 04:01 PM
I liked that SGA had someone new to most people. It turned out quite well. I'd rather they find a new face to SGU like they did for SGA. Give the show a fresh start.

I don't have any ideas though as to who to choose.

Wraith_Boy
July 15th, 2007, 04:52 PM
David Duchovney made a huge deal about how much it rains in Vancouver, when he was on X-Files. For that reason, he probably wouldn't do a TV show filmed in Vancouver. He'd fuss and whine for it to be filmed in California. And, to be honest Canadians who remember him in that way, wouldn't want him back.

As for who would be great in the next series, maybe someone who guest stared on Stargate and demonstrated how good he was. Like Cliff Simon. Ba'al could either lose the Goa'uld and play the role as a human, or be a redeemed bad guy, similar to the "Spike" role in Angel.

After 'Continuum' I seriously doubt Ba'al will be a problem any more!

They have dedicated an entire movie to the storyline. So it'd be crazy & stupid to have them re-hash 'Moebius', then right at the end have everything back to normal & Ba'al or a clone escape yet again. SG-1 is over, they may only do 2 movies per year. For that reason I doubt he'll be involved ever again & that's why I think they'll finally kill him off this time. In the beginning he was a good character, but the whole clone after clone thing turned me off him.

I think it would be in their best interests to get a 'big' name for the lead role. If not longterm, then at least for the pilot episode to get people tuning in.

David Boreanaz would be a great choice, but I seriously doubt he'd leave Bones when it's doing fairly well & relocate his family to Canada to work on SG.

Some of the names banded about would be perfect for such a role.

Scott Bakula
Dean Cain
David Duchovny
Adam Baldwin

Others that I could see filling it would be Nathan Fillion or even Mitch Pileggi (Col.Caldwell).

Since it's a brand new show & SG-1 is off the air (Atlantis may also be by the time the pilot comes around). so they will definitely get people tuning in either way to check it out. I definitely think it would help though to recruit potential new fans to the franchise.

Then again who says it needs to be male, I'm sure someone like Lucy Lawless could give the show a new fan base.

If they hadn't brough BB over at Mitchell on SG-1, I'm sure he could have done it for SG:U.

rlr149
July 15th, 2007, 04:52 PM
lance henrikson might be good. not too well known but familiar

bruce cambell but recurring instead of lead

Heffa
July 15th, 2007, 06:07 PM
how about hank azaria, i'd say hes well known enough to pull in veiwers, he's funny and would make a great archeologist or scientist.

yeah dude i was thinkin the same thing he would be awesome.

Blistna
July 15th, 2007, 09:17 PM
I think your right -- a known actor would be good. I was thinky David something or other from Angel, he is a funny actor with good chrisma. But I am still thinking....

Arctic Goddess
July 15th, 2007, 09:30 PM
After 'Continuum' I seriously doubt Ba'al will be a problem any more!

They have dedicated an entire movie to the storyline. So it'd be crazy & stupid to have them re-hash 'Moebius', then right at the end have everything back to normal & Ba'al or a clone escape yet again. SG-1 is over, they may only do 2 movies per year. For that reason I doubt he'll be involved ever again & that's why I think they'll finally kill him off this time. In the beginning he was a good character, but the whole clone after clone thing turned me off him.

I think it would be in their best interests to get a 'big' name for the lead role. If not longterm, then at least for the pilot episode to get people tuning in.

David Boreanaz would be a great choice, but I seriously doubt he'd leave Bones when it's doing fairly well & relocate his family to Canada to work on SG.

Some of the names banded about would be perfect for such a role.

Scott Bakula
Dean Cain
David Duchovny
Adam Baldwin

Others that I could see filling it would be Nathan Fillion or even Mitch Pileggi (Col.Caldwell).

Since it's a brand new show & SG-1 is off the air (Atlantis may also be by the time the pilot comes around). so they will definitely get people tuning in either way to check it out. I definitely think it would help though to recruit potential new fans to the franchise.

Then again who says it needs to be male, I'm sure someone like Lucy Lawless could give the show a new fan base.

If they hadn't brough BB over at Mitchell on SG-1, I'm sure he could have done it for SG:U.

Don't dismiss Cliff Simon so quickly. He is well liked by the PTB at Bridge Studios. Besides, if they can resurrect Daniel Jackson numerous times, Ba'al still has a shot. And, Cliff has expressed an interest in doing the show. He would be affordable, he's proven himself, and if the only stumbling block is how he would be written into the new series, the Producers have already shown that is usually not a problem. Maybe Cliff wouldn't be lead actor, but he'd be a great regular.

rlr149
July 16th, 2007, 01:02 PM
i'm all for Baal, said somewhere else he could be forced to "atone" for his crimes, after the movie to help whatever the new team are doing/ fix his crimes etc

his char is tech savvy, he's witty, and it looks like he could handle the action,
and theres always him trying to find a way out of his punishment.

something like vala's bracelets to force him to look after his "partner":)

Killdeer
July 16th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Urgggh. If they put Ba'al in it I definitely won't watch. Although I think the chances are slim. I liked Ba'al (he was a great bad guy) up until the clones, then I hated him after that. The Ba'al clones were a terrible idea IMO.

Boon
October 8th, 2008, 03:46 PM

There's comfort in familiarity (not to mention all the firefly fans who you'll hook in by having Jayne up front.), and they changed teyla's name between the initial casting and production didn't they? Dave Dixon has a much better ring to it than 'Everett Young'...

Kelt'ar
October 8th, 2008, 04:30 PM
How bout him?

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/6271/50cent4th7.th.jpg (http://img166.imageshack.us/my.php?image=50cent4th7.jpg)

LOL

Falcon Horus
October 9th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Adam Baldwin is currently unavailable cause he's got a main part in Chuck.

StoyBoy720
October 9th, 2008, 11:31 AM
The producers are looking for a name actor only for Everett Young. The breakdown said it itself.

I think it could be a good idea. It really could go either way, if you get someone who's a well-known actor then it can draw those fans into the show. If you get an actor who played a well-known character then it may not work out so much.

The aforementioned casting of Scott Bakula on Enterprise was an example of this, hoping to make new Trekkies out of old Quantum Leap fans.

RDA is a little different since he was executive producing in addition to starring. Though I do hear a lot of MacGyver fans did start to watch SG-1 so the name does draw a big appeal (his title card didn't come before the show's title card in the opening credits for no good reason! :p)

Isn't David Duchovny still doing Californication?

What about Michael Chiklis? The Shield is finishing up this season. I think he'd rock it out pretty well. Or John Larroquette (Boston Legal), though he may be a bit older than they are looking for. Kelsey Grammar would be interesting but he's already got a new show. I'd say Avery Brooks but the breakdown makes Young sound a little too Benjamin Sisko as it is (though that's not a bad thing, IMHO).

Falcon Horus
October 9th, 2008, 11:42 AM
What about Michael Chiklis? The Shield is finishing up this season. I think he'd rock it out pretty well. Or John Larroquette (Boston Legal), though he may be a bit older than they are looking for. Kelsey Grammar would be interesting but he's already got a new show. I'd say Avery Brooks but the breakdown makes Young sound a little too Benjamin Sisko as it is (though that's not a bad thing, IMHO).

At least I knew who RDA was, or at least MacGuyver. I have absolutely no clue who these people are, and I'm probably not the only one. :o Except for Avery Brooks, but without Sisko I wouldn't have known him either

StoyBoy720
October 9th, 2008, 11:58 AM
They've been around for a while. Not everyone is expected to know ever actor out there. Though if you've seen the Fantastic Four films, Chiklis was The Thing.

EDIT: Throwing John Glover on my wishlist.

Falcon Horus
October 9th, 2008, 12:02 PM
They've been around for a while. Not everyone is expected to know ever actor out there. Though if you've seen the Fantastic Four films, Chiklis was The Thing.

I haven't but I do remember trailers and images, so that's one crossed off the list. :) Thanks.

JohnRico
October 9th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I say Kevin Sorbo, & heck I wonder if they will try getting Dean Cain again since they wanted him as John Sheppard originally didn't they ?

StoyBoy720
October 9th, 2008, 04:01 PM
They tossed around a few names for Sheppard. Ben Browder was also on that list. :)

Anon
December 14th, 2008, 09:08 AM
they should make keller a lead.

Dioxholster
December 14th, 2008, 11:35 AM

you kidding right?

Platschu
December 14th, 2008, 12:24 PM

Vala would be better. :vala:

morjana
December 15th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Stargate: Universe - Hollywood Reporter: Robert Carlyle is next 'Stargate' leader:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=9400681&postcount=1

GateGipsy
December 15th, 2008, 03:55 AM
This thread has now run its course, so I'm going to close it. If anyone wants to discuss Robert Carlyle's casting, there is a thread for that.

Skydiver
December 15th, 2008, 03:55 AM
i think now that we know who it is, we don't need a speculation thread any longer