This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Casting a known lead for SGU

Does any one else think that they should try to get a lead actor for SGU that is more of a big name? Some one who they could say 'Blah Blah stars in Stargate Universe' in all the ads like they did with RDA for SG-1 to kind of give the ratings a boost. Don't get me wrong, I love the current cast of SG-1 and the cast of SGA, but I think both shows kind of suffer, ratings wise, from not being able to have that tag in the ads. It wouldn't have to be anyone huge, RDA was never Robert DeNiro or Johnny Depp but he was known enough to be a drawl. I'm sure there are plenty of known tv actors out there who would like to get a job in a franchise where the show has the potential to last 10 years to get that kind of steady work. Maybe some one like Scott Bacula (who despite being on Enterprise would be perfect in my mind. I loved Quantum Leap.) or David Duchovney. Both of them are mostly known for other scifi shows, and it would be better to have someone who would bring veiwers in from outside the genre but they were the only examples I could think of off the top of my head and I think both of them are big enough to bring that drawl that RDA did.

Perfecto!

I agree we need some sort of well known. I love the SG-1 and Atlantis cast, but I feel SG-1 was hurt once RDA left.

Comment

I agree we do need well known stagate character in sgu however not as the lead, still as a major character though

Comment

No because then they're bigger than the show and it shouldn't be like that.

I love Lost because I didn't know who the hell they all were, except Charlie of course.

I don't mind recurring "knowns" but not one as a lead.

Comment

I think we need a nobody. In fact, i think the whole cast needs to be nobodies. Cast for chemistry with each other and don't sweat the names.

A known actor will bring baggage with him/her and if the show is to get off the ground, it doesn't need any baggage
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I agree with a nobody.....but a good nobody. If you have a big name the show won't last as long. To much money involved in that for sure.
            Two apples get you nothing unless your buying a banana.

Comment

I agree, a nobody would be good but I think that we should have one or two actors from either SG1 or SGA like they did with SGA by bringing in Weir and McKay from SG1 to get more original fans to come over. I know that I started watching SGA from the first ep because TPTB said that there'd be appearances from the original cast of SG1 and now I love the show. Otherwise I don't think I would have watched it as I'm not an avid Sci-fi fan. SG1 and SGA are the only ones I watch.

But if TPTB were gonna go for a well known somebody...I'd love to see David Boreanaz (from Buffy, Angel, Bones) as a lead or co-lead. He's good looking and a brilliant actor with versatility. I think he'd be great . However, Bones seems to be doing really well ATM, which is great because I love the show, so I doubt they could cast him anyway.

(Credit to RepliCartertje for the beautiful sig and to Mala for smilies.)

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
                RDA was never Robert DeNiro or Johnny Depp but he was known enough to be a drawl. I'm sure there are plenty of known tv actors out there who would like to get a job in a franchise where the show has the potential to last 10 years to get that kind of steady work. Maybe some one like Scott Bacula (who despite being on Enterprise would be perfect in my mind. I loved Quantum Leap.) or David Duchovney. Both of them are mostly known for other scifi shows, and it would be better to have someone who would bring veiwers in from outside the genre but they were the only examples I could think of off the top of my head and I think both of them are big enough to bring that drawl that RDA did.
                That's a good idea. Personally RDA's name didn't draw me in, since I've never even seen MacGyver, but his acting skills helped make me a fan. No offense, but Scott Bacula isn't on RDA's level of fame. RDA is a household name in America (mostly from MacGyver I guess), SNL did a new recurring sketch in January '07 about RDA/MacGyver.

The guy did a big super bowl MasterCard commercial, and I saw him on a featured segment on Entertainment Tonight a little while ago (about him & his family, and their new house, not any of his characters). Scott Bacula would have to set himself on fire in time square (New York City) to get anywhere near that kind of coverage, and even then.....

Duchoveney could do it (fame wise), but I don't see him playing a jack/shep/cam alpha male type role. I do like him though.

Boreanaz would never do it. Aside from being the male lead on a major network now, I still don't think he'd do it even if he weren't working. He could've easily done a DVD/TV Movie to continue Angel, but he didn't want to. I think he resented being a SciFi icon.

I can't really think of anyone.
                sigpic
                "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                ~David Hewlett

Comment

Who knew who Joe Flanigan was before SGA? Or Michael Shanks. Yes, whoever said it above, cast for chemistry, cast for talent and for the ability to inhabit the lead character, rather than choosing a known actor for his or her name. There are so many great actors out there, people we've never heard of. Let's see one of them!

Comment

Maybe the guy from 24 or someone from BSG...
                    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky13 View Post
                      Who knew who Joe Flanigan was before SGA? Or Michael Shanks. Yes, whoever said it above, cast for chemistry, cast for talent and for the ability to inhabit the lead character, rather than choosing a known actor for his or her name. There are so many great actors out there, people we've never heard of. Let's see one of them!
                      I'm saying do it for both name & chemistry, so maybe we'll get a rating jumps instead of stagnant or declining ratings like Atlantis.

I can only think of 1 or 2 bad casting choices on Stargate:

Wayne Brady - I'm a big fan of his, but I didn't see him as a believable First Prime.

Whoever played Zipacna - I didn't care for his original take on the role. He played Zipacna as androgynous, and despicable. This wasn't a lack-of-talent situation, I just didn't like his early appearances. Later on, when he was recruiting Osiris he was a bit better.
                      sigpic
                      "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                      ~David Hewlett

Comment

I'd say they start fresh, new cast and new writers.

And whether the cast be bodies or nobodies, I don't really care. The stories should be the ones that draw the people in. Tell good stories, add in a flavored cast and the audience will watch.
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Anyone else find it funny we already all know what SGU stands for?

Comment

I hope it changes, because it's a terrible name.
                            sigpic
                            ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky13 View Post
                              Totally agree. I remember seeing the odd episode of MacGyver but I never connected that to RDA when I started watching Stargate. It was his portrayal of O'Neill and the interaction between the characters and great storytelling that got me hooked.

Again, I wouldn't be at all bothered who played the parts in SGU as long as it has a good story and believable well rounded characters.

Comment

Working...
                              X