PDA

View Full Version : "200" Nominated for the Hugo Award!

Trek_Girl42
March 29th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Dramatic Presentation, Short Form
Battlestar Galactica, “Downloaded.” Writers Bradley Thompson and David Weddle. Directed by Jeff Woolnough. (NBC Universal/British Sky)
Doctor Who, “Army of Ghosts” and “Doomsday.” Written by Russell T. Davies. Directed by Graeme Harper. (BBC Wales/BBC1)
Doctor Who, “Girl in the Fireplace.” Written by Steven Moffat. Directed by Euros Lyn. (BBC Wales/BBC1)
Doctor Who, “School Reunion.” Written by Toby Whithouse. Directed by James Hawes. (BBC Wales/BBC1)
Stargate SG-1, “200.” Written by Brad Wright, Robert C. Cooper, Joseph Mallozzi, Paul Mullie, Carl Binder, Martin Gero, and Alan McCullough. Directed by Martin Wood. (Double Secret Productions/NBC Universal)

Congrats! :jack_new_anime07:

sueKay
March 29th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Heya!

There's already a thread for this :)

GW Member and past Hugo Award Winner Frostfox has also recieved a nomination for her Fan Art!

Trek_Girl42
March 29th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Woah.....where's the thread? My search turned up nothing.

sueKay
March 29th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Dunno...Frostfox started it, so look for her in active users and then look for all the threads she's started :)

prion
March 29th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Congrats! :jack_new_anime07:

"200" was nominated for drama??? Am I the only one shaking my head in disbelief? (probably, but sorry, the episode didn't do much for me)

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
March 29th, 2007, 01:40 PM
"200" was nominated for drama??? Am I the only one shaking my head in disbelief? (probably, but sorry, the episode didn't do much for me)
I agree, prion, A drama, it's more of a comedy then a drama episode

Pitry
March 29th, 2007, 02:05 PM
But hey, they got the longest entrance!

(well, it happens when you have 7 writers for the same episode :))

(Pitry, alas, is torn between 200 and Girl in the Fireplace...)

ToasterOnFire
March 29th, 2007, 02:18 PM
They chose 200 over any of the other SG1 eps? :weiranime33: I think it was more of an honorary nod for the milestone as opposed to an acknowledgment of exceptional SF. Because...yeah... :weiranime33:

PG15
March 29th, 2007, 07:12 PM
I don't think it's for drama as much as is it's an episode of a dramatic series which they think is good.

They just happened to pick a funny one. :D

MediaSavant
March 30th, 2007, 11:38 AM

You might be one of the few.

Apparently, you don't know much about the Hugos. "Best Dramatic Presentation" is the name of the category and always has been. There is no "comedy" category, ala the Emmy's. Before recently, there was only one category and TV shows competed with movies. Now, they split it into two based on length.

Galaxyquest won the Hugo for "Best Dramatic Presentation" a few years ago.

So, if you knew any Hugo history you wouldn't be shaking your head in disbelief.

Trek_Girl42
March 30th, 2007, 11:46 AM

I did not know that.....cool!

I hope Children of Men wins this year.

Frostfox
April 2nd, 2007, 10:56 AM
They chose 200 over any of the other SG1 eps? :weiranime33: I think it was more of an honorary nod for the milestone as opposed to an acknowledgment of exceptional SF. Because...yeah... :weiranime33:

The Worldcon members, the fans, nominate the episodes, not a panel of judges or the show runners. Because of this, particularly if you are nominated in the fan catagories, it really is an honour to be nominated, as it is a nomination by your peers.

I did not know that.....cool!

I hope Children of Men wins this year.

The long form nominees are Children of Men, Pan's Labryinth, V for Vendetta, The Prestiege, Through a Scanner Darkly (though when announced they had it wrong and put Pirates II not Pan's Labrynth on the balot, they have had to announce the mistake and contact those who have voted on line so far, bit of a big oops) so there is stiff compititon this year.

FF :nox:

Trek_Girl42
April 2nd, 2007, 11:00 AM
The long form nominees are Children of Men, Pan's Labrynth, V for Vendetta, The Prestiege, Through a Scanner Darkly (though when announced they had it wrong and put Pirates II not Pan's Labrynth on the balot, they have had to announce the mistake and contact those who have voted on line so far, bit of a big oops) so there is stiff compititon this year.

Woah.....was kinda wondering about the lack of Pan's Labryinth on there, makes more sense, and that is definitely some stiff competition. :)

Frostfox
April 2nd, 2007, 11:12 AM
Woah.....was kinda wondering about the lack of Pan's Labryinth on there, makes more sense, and that is definitely some stiff competition. :)

Laughs. We were all wondering that! It's a pretty big mistake to make.
More information on the Hugos for those interested (MediaSavant and I might know all about them but I wouldn't expect everyone to) http://www.worldcon.org/hugos.html

the dancer of spaz
April 2nd, 2007, 04:46 PM
You might be one of the few.

Apparently, you don't know much about the Hugos. "Best Dramatic Presentation" is the name of the category and always has been. There is no "comedy" category, ala the Emmy's. Before recently, there was only one category and TV shows competed with movies. Now, they split it into two based on length.

So, if you knew any Hugo history you wouldn't be shaking your head in disbelief.

*sigh*

Count me in with the "few" other idiots who don't know much about the Hugos, and who would've been sufficiently confused by the same information.

*bows down to the highly superior Media Savant*

Please forgive my ignorance. :rolleyes:

Mar9645
April 6th, 2007, 04:29 AM
There's no accounting for taste, or lack thereof.

Dan'nee
April 6th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Count me in with the "few" other idiots who don't know much about the Hugos, and who would've been sufficiently confused by the same information.

I believe he meant "one of the few" that episode 200 did nothing for, not "few other idiots who don't know much about the Hugos.

Ep 200 was awesome! I haven't been rolling on the floor laughing so much in a long time. Literally. People use rofl just as short talk, but for me that's actually how funny the episode was. :D I love that Stargate doesn't take itself super seriously.

prion
April 6th, 2007, 06:49 AM
The Worldcon members, the fans, nominate the episodes, not a panel of judges or the show runners. Because of this, particularly if you are nominated in the fan catagories, it really is an honour to be nominated, as it is a nomination by your peers.

The long form nominees are Children of Men, Pan's Labryinth, V for Vendetta, The Prestiege, Through a Scanner Darkly (though when announced they had it wrong and put Pirates II not Pan's Labrynth on the balot, they have had to announce the mistake and contact those who have voted on line so far, bit of a big oops) so there is stiff compititon this year.

having been on several worldcons, the choice of episode really doesn't surprise me.

Konrad9
April 6th, 2007, 08:17 AM
This is... just bizarre.
200 is really not a good episode for drama... there are much better ones out there for SG1.
Part of me wants Doctor Who to win, but I know BSG will never win an emmy so I'd rather they get *some* recognition here.

prion
April 6th, 2007, 08:33 AM
This is... just bizarre.
200 is really not a good episode for drama... there are much better ones out there for SG1.
Part of me wants Doctor Who to win, but I know BSG will never win an emmy so I'd rather they get *some* recognition here.

I realize this is traitorous to say in this thread, but if I were voting, I'd go for DR WHO. I thought both seasons of WHO on SciFi (not sure which is up for the awards) were far more entertaining than season 10 of SG1.

FoolishPleasure
April 6th, 2007, 12:08 PM
All those episodes nominated are good, and I'd be happy for any of them, except for the "Girl in the Fireplace" eppy of Doctor Who. I thought that was dreadful. Crossing my fingers for good ole SG1 though.

Also hoping "Children of Men" wins in the film category.

MasySyma
April 6th, 2007, 07:30 PM
I realize this is traitorous to say in this thread, but if I were voting, I'd go for DR WHO. I thought both seasons of WHO on SciFi (not sure which is up for the awards) were far more entertaining than season 10 of SG1.

I'm with you on this one Prion, and I like Season 10 of SG-1.

200 is not a typical episode of the show. It was an interesting and at times amusing creative endeavor for what it was, but it is not an episode worthy of representing the best of the show, particularly the writing. Other Season 10 episodes can do much better, but oh well.

My Vote: Something Doctor Who, and it is a tough choice as I love all three episodes. I'll go for The Girl in the Fireplace, an amazing self-contained piece.

Madeleine
April 7th, 2007, 07:39 AM
I loved 200, I laughed so hard my tummy hurt, but School Reunion and GitF would probably get my vote. Downloaded was good too.

I think Doctor Who might suffer from too many nominations though. The vote'll be split and go to BSG or Stargate.

Pitry
April 7th, 2007, 11:56 AM
I'm not so sure - I might be a bit biased but the repeated theme does seem to be Girl in the Fireplace.

Trek_Girl42
April 7th, 2007, 04:02 PM
I'm not so sure - I might be a bit biased but the repeated theme does seem to be Girl in the Fireplace.
Keep hearing so many good things about that ep- must watch it. :P

scapephile
April 8th, 2007, 03:02 AM
Congratulations to the SG1 team! This is a witty,blatant gimmick ep that totally worked on all levels!

angie
benbrowder.net

Truskawka
April 8th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Congratulations and fingers crossed! When the Hugo Awards winners will be announced?

Trek_Girl42
April 8th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Congratulations and fingers crossed! When the Hugo Awards winners will be announced?
August I think. Long way off.