This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

puddle jumper

im wondering why does the puddle jumper don't have any shields like the orion ?

Originally posted by mouse View Post
    The ship is equipped with a cloaking generator. However, it has been shown that the jumpers cloak generator can be turned into a sheild, however, the sheilds power is limited as shown in 'Grace Under Pressure' and ' Echoes'.

The cloak doesnt seem to draw any extra power during its use, whereas a shields power requirments are dependant on how much force is exserted on it, and given that a jumpers power source can be drained, as seen in 'Grace Under Pressure', it probably made more sense for the ancients to build the jumpers with just cloaking technology.

Comment

True, the generators that create shields can create cloakingfields aswell. Atlantis can cloak for example. The thing is, cloaks can be turned on almost indefinately because they don't have to resist anything like weaponsfire or tons of water excerting force. The Daedalus for example would also lose shieldstrength underwater (would be cool to see btw). Atlantis when submerged also depletes from its ZPM.

Comment

also the shield generator on a aroura class ship would be far more bigger than a puddle jumper(i think) and like other mentioned power would be a issue

puddle jumpers were mainlt science vessels and maybe it only had a cloak to observe things since the ancients came to the pegasus galaxy un-inhabited
        and it would of been the same for the milkyway when they first left to escape the ori.
        sigpic

Comment

The jumpers do indeed make beautifull research craft. It would be cool to see jumpers being used that way, to research things in the field.

Comment

it would be cool to see a different variation of the jumper. a recon or longer range craft. maybe a jumper that is longer and a bit sleeker. because if they need to far out in the galaxy, they cant necesaily take a gate because there may not be one within distance. otherwise we have to depend on the daedalus to get there

Comment

There was no need for them to have shields im guessing they were used to keep an eye on the civilisations of humans across the galaxy without being noticed. Also there is a limit to what can be put into them seeing as they have to fit through the gate

Comment

Originally posted by mouse View Post
                I think you all answered his question and them some.

Comment

The puddle jumpers didn't have shields originally. McKay was able to adapt the cloak generator to a shield, but it doesn't last near as long as the Orion's because of the power requirements, although it is the same type of shield that Atlantis uses.
                  sigpic

Comment

Not including the defence satallite, the Ancients had four types of ship: The Puddle Jumper class, The Aurora Class, The City Ship class and the unknown kind seen attacking the Asuran Homeworld.

The City Ship is obvously a residential home. literally a flying city. It isn't meant for battle but obvously as the bulk of the Ancient civilisation lived in these they were very well defended.

The Aurora class and the unknown ship classes are obvously main battle ships. Designed with very powerful shields and weapons these were designed for battle and attack of enemies.

The Puddle Jumper class, is a very small scout and recon ship. It is equiped with a small number of drone weapons only for self defence. It is equiped with a cloak because as a recon ship it needs to get close to its target undetected. as it is not meant for battle it is not equiped with a large number of drones and powerful shields. It's cloak can be swiched out for a shield for emergencies.

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

I thought the ships attacking Asuran city were the Aurora class.

They looked like it to me.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                        I thought the ships attacking Asuran city were the Aurora class.

They looked like it to me.
                        Most of those ships were Aurora-Class ships but there were a few unidentified battle ships. Similar in size & shape but they were diffrent. thats the only time we've seen them though so they may all be destroyed or we may never see them again.

Spoiler:

Carter?

I... haven't left yet

Comment

Originally posted by .jolinar. View Post
                          Most of those ships were Aurora-Class ships but there were a few unidentified battle ships. Similar in size & shape but they were diffrent. thats the only time we've seen them though so they may all be destroyed or we may never see them again.
                          there are lots of places those shiops could b hiding there is an entire galaxy to hide in
                          sigpic
                          Sig For Me!

Comment

Yes but relatively speaking the Pegasus Galaxy is small. At least in comparason to the Milky way. And it's not a good idea to leave ships lying about. The Aurora had a crew, the Orion was parked at an Ancient outpost & the Tria also had a crew.

Spoiler:

Carter?

I... haven't left yet

Comment

Originally posted by .jolinar. View Post
                              Yes but relatively speaking the Pegasus Galaxy is small. At least in comparason to the Milky way. And it's not a good idea to leave ships lying about. The Aurora had a crew, the Orion was parked at an Ancient outpost & the Tria also had a crew.
                              yes but the tria DID have a crew and is now abandoned i dont see why there is not other abandoned ships out there just waiting for some one to fix them and geting them fighting fit
                              sigpic
                              Sig For Me!

Comment

Working...
                              X