This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GET RID OF THE WRAITHS! : What's wrong in SGA

In this message I sum up many contributions by others that appeared elsewhere. I claim that it is the nature of the wraith that weakens the whole Atlantis series.

1) WRAITHS HAVE TO BE WEAK

They have to be weak because we need to maintain some action throughout the year, the heroes must be able to defeat some wraiths in separate actions in many episodes, etc. Well in fact there has to BE a show, to put it shortly.

But in this case, wraiths not only have to be weak, they have to be VERY weak. Because the SGA crew is just helpless, and they can never be in a strong strategic position. Ever tried to go camping in another place? Ever tried to work in a factory the technology of which you don't understand? Ever tried to stay in a country of which you don't understand the language and you don't even know where to find food? Well imagine a mixture of the three. It is definitely a feat if the SGA crew can survive even without any intelligent agression.

In that sense the wraiths are shown weak, very weak, or even intellectually inferior. Like arriving on a gate site in open field without checking if there are ennemies behind the stones.

2) THE WRAITHS HAVE TO BE STRONG

The wraiths are those who defeated the Ancients. There have been discussions about that, but it now seems confirmed by the last spoilers.

Wait a minute: "defeated the Ancients" ??? Wow... I advise people who don't realize yet that we are talking of the kind of Orlin. I don't remember the episode name, but this one definitely has to be watched again. There are other evidence of the Ancients' HUGE capacities in other episodes, but this one gathers them all in a convenient manner.

What is the dangerous race that the Ancients would not have detected EVEN BEFORE entering their original planet? The Ancients knew everything about the ecosystem of a planet before arriving (they studied planets for human settlement). And even if if it was a biological danger and not a technological one, what is it that the Ancients could not cure like humans cure mushrooms or get rid of ants?

In that sense the Wraiths must show capacities that we call supernatural in fantasy movies and so on. We are dealing with a theological level here.

THE PROBLEM

If the Wraiths in SGA are grade 2 Wraiths (strong), the SGA human crew is simply DEAD. No point in making other episodes. They're DOOMED. They are just a little helpless group of snails waiting for the walker's shoe. They have NO strategic resources and there's no point in making us believe that they can do BETTER than the Ancients with the Ancients' equipment, that they just discovered.

If the Wraiths are grade 1 Wraiths (weak), the show can go on, although slightly less interesting than SG1 with Goa'ulds, with wraiths dressed up like clown-vampires and no civilization references. But then the Wraiths have NOT defeated the Ancients, and the show doesn't exist.

CONCLUSION

I just hope the writers will drop this uneasy Wraith affair very soon. I like the show very much, I like most of the actors and I love the idea of an Atlantis city in the Pegasus galaxy. Therefore I would like them to shift to other points of interest.

I just don't want SGA to become an inferior version of SG1. A retirement pension for former SG1 crew, with less dangerous ennemies, less impressive Ancients, and less active plots.
    No rep points, I'm out of the Karma now. No title would be perfect.
    I apologize for not having time to read everything, and missing relevant contributions.
    Please don't read my posts as important about real life issues, and don't reply as such.

You have to understand that on a scifi show or any action show including cartoons when the main characters encounter a new enemy at first they are very strong and have trouble defeating them but after a while it gets easier. Don't worry it will happen the Atlantis team will find a weakness in the Wraiths or find a weapon or somthing or possibly a defense against them that may have been created by the Ancieents before they were defeated.

Comment

My problem with the Wraith is that they have no personality. . .with the exception of our dear-departed Steve. SG1's first year had the lovely Apophis creating havoc and it was fun. The audience has to have a connection to the villians for them to be effective and so far the writers have not done that. All we are getting are faceless hulks shooting at our team. *yawn* Hopefully we'll get a bit more verbal interaction with the Wraith and learn more about them as well.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

:onders::

Technically, have all eight of these seasons, hasn't SG-1 faced total annililation from the Goa'uld the entire time?

Spoilers
        Yeah, we have the Prometheus now, and the Ancient out post...but we cant use the outpost, and I dont think we've seen how teh Prometheus can perform one on one against a mother ship. The Goa'uld could still wipe us out if they really wanted to. That was the whole purpose of sending the team to Atlantis, to find ancient technology to use against the Goa'uld...I thought. Who knows, maybe Earths new ship, the Deadalus might be better.

Just remember, that the constant threat of destruction was a big thing in SG-1 too. Maybe not so much now, but for those first three or so seasons....

Not so happy that Daniel died now, are we Jonas?

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
          My problem with the Wraith is that they have no personality. . .with the exception of our dear-departed Steve. SG1's first year had the lovely Apophis creating havoc and it was fun. The audience has to have a connection to the villians for them to be effective and so far the writers have not done that. All we are getting are faceless hulks shooting at our team. *yawn* Hopefully we'll get a bit more verbal interaction with the Wraith and learn more about them as well.
          Well, that too. But, most of the Wraith we've encountered are the grunts. Used mainly to harvest the humans. The wraith probably have casts, Steve is of a higher one. Remember the Queen from "Rising" had some personalilty.

The Jaffa foot soliders that SG-1 meet in battle dont have a lot of personality. But, run into the Goa'uld that sent them, and we get that cool voice, and Jack's sarcasim.

Comment

Ok I'll put it in a shorter way:

1) In order to be 'killable' on a day-to-day basis, the Wraiths have not only to be weak, but very weak, because SGA are weak themselves, just a few persons expedition crew in an unknown environment and with no connection to Earth. In this way the Wraiths are sort of evil Unas.

2) In order to have defeated the Ancients, the Wraiths have not only to be strong, but very strong. They have not only hardly imaginable technology, but supernatural powers as well. In this way the Wraiths are ... Gods ... cause the Ancients are very close to Gods themselves.

Because of this paradox, according to the last spoilers, the writers are going to show a few humans doing better than the Ancients with Ancients' equipment, and without training, or, even more ridiculous, doing better than the ancients with one ship made on earth and not even fully tested yet.

Well, I know they are mostly Americans and they have a Canadian scientist, but that makes them only super-exceptionnal, not Gods superior to the Gods that defeated the Gods ...
            No rep points, I'm out of the Karma now. No title would be perfect.
            I apologize for not having time to read everything, and missing relevant contributions.
            Please don't read my posts as important about real life issues, and don't reply as such.

Comment

w
              Originally posted by Furling God
              Ok I'll put it in a shorter way:

1) In order to be 'killable' on a day-to-day basis, the Wraiths have not only to be weak, but very weak, because SGA are weak themselves, just a few persons expedition crew in an unknown environment and with no connection to Earth. In this way the Wraiths are sort of evil Unas.

2) In order to have defeated the Ancients, the Wraiths have not only to be strong, but very strong. They have not only hardly imaginable technology, but supernatural powers as well. In this way the Wraiths are ... Gods ... cause the Ancients are very close to Gods themselves.

Because of this paradox, according to the last spoilers, the writers are going to show a few humans doing better than the Ancients with Ancients' equipment, and without training, or, even more ridiculous, doing better than the ancients with one ship made on earth and not even fully tested yet.

Well, I know they are mostly Americans and they have a Canadian scientist, but that makes them only super-exceptionnal, not Gods superior to the Gods that defeated the Gods ...
              But who knows how badly the Ancients beat down the Wraith 10,000 years ago? The ancients could have easily sliced their population down from billions to thousands, and just been defeated in the process.

The wraith don't seem like the type to rebuild. At all.
              sigpic

Comment

the thing i think we have to remember is that the Wraith Guards are bsaically cannon-fodder, but cannon-fodder that won't stay down, but will get up again. The Wraith to me seem like brilliant predators, the strongest use the weakest to hunt down their food for them. Their advantage is in their numbers.
                spook

Comment

Plus...right now I think it's been said that most of the Wraith are still waking up. We havent seen them in full force. Once the Wraith are awake in full force, culling all their worlds, we'll see them gain strength.

Kinda like waking up and being really groggy?

Comment

Originally posted by Furling God
                    Well, keep in mind that the Ancients that went to Atlantis were not ascended; i.e., they were corporeal, just like us (only about 3-4 million years more advanced technologically and biologically ).

Comment

The Wraith are weak. True.

The Ancients are strong. True.

The Ancients were so strong that they underestimated the Wraith. The Wraith could really deliver a fatal blow that the Ancients didnt even suspect that it was coming. The Wraith may be weak, but they do have some good technology.

Recently, the Wraith have been making the same mistakes as the Ancients. They have been underestimating the SGA team. Therefore, that is why they seem to be losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Calicto
                        The Wraith are weak. True.

The Ancients are strong. True.

The Ancients were so strong that they underestimated the Wraith. The Wraith could really deliver a fatal blow that the Ancients didnt even suspect that it was coming. The Wraith may be weak, but they do have some good technology.

Recently, the Wraith have been making the same mistakes as the Ancients. They have been underestimating the SGA team. Therefore, that is why they seem to be losing.
                        I agree the wraith are arogant and so were the ancients the wraith are not strong there is just a lot of them. The humans can not afford to be arogant so we have the advantage.

Comment

The Goa'Ould were arrogant also in the begining, they saw the Tau'Ri as insignificant humans (yes, I am talking after the death of Ra), but throughout the course of season 1, we pissed them off MORE.

The same thing is happening with the Wraith, with one minor difference. The Stargate crew killed Ra in the movie and it took awhile for the Goa'Ould to really react... We woke up the Wraith in the pilot, while they are talking some time to wake up all together, they still notice us.
                          sigpic
                          In the infinite expanse that we occupy, whose to say that something's impossible?

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                            You must admit that the (female?) in the series premiere had personality. We just need to capture a few more of them and ge to know them better. I'm sure that somewhere under that evil fascade they're all as personable as Steve...may he rest in peace.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

All scifi shows have to deal with the fact that the enemy has to be sufficiently strong to be a threat, and sufficiently weak to beat on a weekly basis.

It's entirely possible that the Wraith are not the same as they were when they were battling the Ancients. After all, are the people of Earth anything like the Ancients? Even for beings that sleep for a long time and never die naturally, things change.

Comment

Working...
                              X