PDA

View Full Version : The Sound of Drums (2912/312)

Pages : 1 [2]

Anubis69
June 30th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Falling down water. Booze. Alcohol. DRINK!!!! :D
... Have you been spying on me? :eek: lol, well... that's the mystery of one of them solved then. :D

BruTak
June 30th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Like I said, dreams are weird things...

Like the one I had many, many years ago (1990 to be exact) in which I was being - shall we say "intimate" - with my mate's younger sister...

Hulabaloo
June 30th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Two nights in a row i've had a dream about Doctor Who.

The first one was basically me watching Last of the Time Lords and right as it gets good it says "TBC with the Christmas special." I was raging...

If true, I shall lynch him... :tealc39:

BruTak
June 30th, 2007, 10:00 AM
*sets up market stall* Pitchforks! Flaming torches! Hangman's nooses! Git'chore angry mob supplies heyar! :D

uknesvuinng
June 30th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Make time move faster so I can see the finale!!!

Madeleine
June 30th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Do we have to lynch him? Can we not just kidnap him a little bit and make him write lots of lovely exciting episodes of Doctor Who for us?

uknesvuinng
June 30th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Do we have to lynch him? Can we not just kidnap him a little bit and make him write lots of lovely exciting episodes of Doctor Who for us?

I dunno, the best episodes have been done by people other than RTD. Perhaps for that purpose we should kidnap those people.

General David Niemi
September 20th, 2007, 06:19 PM
*Taps fingers* I liked the part where the master was like:

"Run! Run for your life!"

Reminded me of the episode 'Rose'

Doctor: Nice to meet you Rose. Run for your life!

PG15
September 24th, 2007, 10:01 PM
I saw Heaven, and it was called "The Sound of Drums", and it was good. :D

This was, bar-none, one of the greatest hours of television I have EVER seen. The entire last 10 minutes of the show I spent gawking at the screen with a dumbass grin on my face. I didn't even have the...ability to shout how awesome it was, because it was just THAT awesome.

John Simms enters my list of Gods, along with David Tennant. He has always been good, but there is just something about this episode that made EVERYTHING about a million times better. Heck, as of right now, I can't stop speaking with a British accent.

I could go on and on about the many many parts of this episode that I LOVED, but that could cause the forum to crash due to overload. So...yeah.

BEST. EPISODE. EVER.

Trek_Girl42
September 24th, 2007, 11:22 PM
I saw Heaven, and it was called "The Sound of Drums".

This was, bar-none, one of the greatest hours of television I have EVER seen. The entire last 10 minutes of the show I spent gawking at the screen with a dumbass grin on my face. I didn't even have the...ability to shout how awesome it was, because it was just THAT awesome.

John Simms enters my list of Gods, along with David Tennant. He has always been good, but there is just something about this episode that made EVERYTHING about a million times better. Heck, as of right now, I can't stop speaking with a British accent.

I could go on and on about the many many parts of this episode that I LOVED, but that could cause the forum to crash due to overload. So...yeah.

BEST. EPISODE. EVER.
Ditto Ditto Ditto Ditto.....etc.

That was frakking awsome. I mean really really really really awsome. Really.

John Simm is just.....fantastic! He and David Tennant should just face each other in an empty room for entire episodes. It would be fun! :D

Doctor Who almost always puts a constant grin on my face it's just that.....grin-worthy, but I just didn't stop this whole ep, and I can't get my thoughts quite together after this evening of Doctor Who-awsomeness. :D :D :D

PG15
September 24th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Indeed! :D

Oh, and edited my post just a tiny bit (see first line). Loved that line at the end!

Trek_Girl42
September 24th, 2007, 11:47 PM
And I thought it, good. :D

MmmmMcKAy
September 25th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Wow!!!! :) An amazing episode!! It had great tension and suspense, some humour(Jack to Martha "You too, huh?" on being smitten with the Doctor and going unnoticed) and even some added background on Galifrey and the Time Lords.

The Master is truly diabolical. The actor who plays him did a wonderful job. How is Martha going to save everyone? She's got quite a challenge ahead of her.;) I have to wait until the CBC posts the last episode so I can find out.:(

I loved the whole drumming thing too. It added a sense of terror to the episode.

Trek_Girl42
September 25th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Wow!!!! :) An amazing episode!! It had great tension and suspense, some humour(Jack to Martha "You too, huh?" on being smitten with the Doctor and going unnoticed) and even some added background on Galifrey and the Time Lords.
I liked that moment too. :P

And when the President of the United States says: "If it's God's will, I'll be your master". (or something along those lines) That had me in a fit. :jack_new_anime06:

Trek_Girl42
September 25th, 2007, 12:02 PM

The Master is truly diabolical. The actor who plays him did a wonderful job. How is Martha going to save everyone? She's got quite a challenge ahead of her.;) I have to wait until the CBC posts the last episode so I can find out.:(

I loved the whole drumming thing too. It added a sense of terror to the episode.
They've got it up now- but the sad thing is that it's the exact same version that aired on tv. Edited down by roughly six to eight minutes. :rolleyes:

MmmmMcKAy
September 25th, 2007, 04:39 PM
What...they took 6 to 8 minutes out of the final episode???? That's terrible.:( Another reason to rent the dvds when they come out.;)

Thanks for the heads up about CBC adding the episode, TrekGirl.

Trek_Girl42
September 25th, 2007, 05:29 PM
What...they took 6 to 8 minutes out of the final episode???? That's terrible.:( Another reason to rent the dvds when they come out.;)

Thanks for the heads up about CBC adding the episode, TrekGirl.
Yeah, same with Utopia- though they cut more like two minutes from that one (which I'd wondered at the time of airing, as there were a couple of things that didn't quite.....connect- like they cut the scene where the Master finds out that the Doctor has come to the station and went straight to the part where the Master was asking Jack if he was the Doctor. Didn't quite add up in the CBC version. :P They also cut the "Chantho" swearing explanation.), I've.....since aquired the last three eps for artistic purposes and discovered this, which makes me wonder how much other goodness we've missed throughout the season. Though as you say, DVDs soon! So we'll find out.

Like in Last of the Timelords they cut a whole other
music/dancing sequence with the master and the Doctor in the wheel chair, and quite a few other things

P-90_177
September 26th, 2007, 12:33 AM
What!!! You Missed The Dancing!!!! Those Frakkers!!!!

Trek_Girl42
September 26th, 2007, 12:41 AM
What!!! You Missed The Dancing!!!! Those Frakkers!!!!
There was dancing in "The Sound of Drums", didn't miss that.

So I was shocked to see that they removed the second one from "Last of the Timelords". Oh, and they cut the part where Martha's family discusses wanting to kill Saxon. And the entire part at the end with Martha's mother with the gun- they just went right to his companion shooting him. :(

Pitry
September 26th, 2007, 02:06 AM

Now this I want to hear :)

John Simm is just.....fantastic! He and David Tennant should just face each other in an empty room for entire episodes. It would be fun! :D

And John Barrowman. Heaven, I tell thee. :)

Yeah, same with Utopia- though they cut more like two minutes from that one (which I'd wondered at the time of airing, as there were a couple of things that didn't quite.....connect- like they cut the scene where the Master finds out that the Doctor has come to the station and went straight to the part where the Master was asking Jack if he was the Doctor. Didn't quite add up in the CBC version. :P They also cut the "Chantho" swearing explanation.), I've.....since aquired the last three eps for artistic purposes and discovered this, which makes me wonder how much other goodness we've missed throughout the season. Though as you say, DVDs soon! So we'll find out.

Like in Last of the Timelords they cut a whole other
music/dancing sequence with the master and the Doctor in the wheel chair, and quite a few other things

What? They cut that sequence? But but but but but.
TBH, this time it's not CBC's fault - I remember from the commentary for LotTL RTD mentioned a bit about cutting the episode, apparently they're the ones doing it, not CBC.
You could blame CBC for not acquiring the full 52 minutes episode :)

ShadowMaat
September 26th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Which dance sequence is it? Voodoo Child or I Can't Decide?

Pitry
September 26th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Well, I've seen the full version, not the cut one - and TBH from experience with Threads, having watched both version, I don't think I ever want to see a cut version again :) - but from TRek_Girl's post it sounds like I Can't Decide was cut, not Voodoo Child.

LotTL spoilers
I can see why they cut I Can't Decide ebcause it is a rather long sequence and they had to cut about 8 minutes, and it doesn't have the same "cool!" factor Voodoo Child had because it comes afterwards, but I think it's a shame because it's also a very good - and originally made - explanation of the Master's downfall, namely why he didn't kill the Doctor when he had a chance.

ShadowMaat
September 26th, 2007, 07:40 AM
*sigh* Yeah, that's kinda what I figured, but dang, I loved that whole sequence! Even snagged the song off itunes. Upbeat and disturbing all in one go, just the way I like it. ;)

Trek_Girl42
September 26th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Now this I want to hear :)

And John Barrowman. Heaven, I tell thee. :)

What? They cut that sequence? But but but but but.
TBH, this time it's not CBC's fault - I remember from the commentary for LotTL RTD mentioned a bit about cutting the episode, apparently they're the ones doing it, not CBC.
You could blame CBC for not acquiring the full 52 minutes episode :)
There was a LONGER version than the 52 minute one! :eek: I blame CBC for not leaving a 45 minute episode intact as well. :rolleyes:

Well, I've seen the full version, not the cut one - and TBH from experience with Threads, having watched both version, I don't think I ever want to see a cut version again :) - but from TRek_Girl's post it sounds like I Can't Decide was cut, not Voodoo Child.

LotTL spoilers
I can see why they cut I Can't Decide ebcause it is a rather long sequence and they had to cut about 8 minutes, and it doesn't have the same "cool!" factor Voodoo Child had because it comes afterwards, but I think it's a shame because it's also a very good - and originally made - explanation of the Master's downfall, namely why he didn't kill the Doctor when he had a chance.
And it showed the doggy tent/bowl! That got cut just off camera I think in our entire version of the ep.

Pitry
September 26th, 2007, 11:59 AM
There was a LONGER version than the 52 minute one! :eek: I blame CBC for not leaving a 45 minute episode intact as well. :rolleyes:

Nononono, the longest was 52 minutes, I believe.

And it showed the doggy tent/bowl! That got cut just off camera I think in our entire version of the ep.

hmm... Actually the doggy bowl I could have lived without :)

Trek_Girl42
September 26th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Nononono, the longest was 52 minutes, I believe.

hmm... Actually the doggy bowl I could have lived without :)
I thought it was funny- very Master-ish. :P

Mattathias2.0
September 26th, 2007, 05:00 PM
I don't watch the episodes when they air in America. I like the entire episode without commercials, as it was meant to be seen.

BlueSparks
September 28th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Season 3 is the best season of Doctor Who so far, this ep in particular. It has humor and also it has me on the edge of my seat. I can't wait for next week.

I enjoyed the scene were that guy tells martha that Rose was a blonde and martha yells "of course!" (something like that) I thought it was a funny.

ShadowMaat
September 29th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Two things missing from the US broadcast:

When the Master closes the door on the screaming woman he actually opened and closed the door again several times. I guess I can understand why it was cut (although it made the scene a little less funny). However, the second cut was a crime:

When the Doctor is comparing the perception filter to being "like when you fancy someone and they don't know you're alive." Martha and Jack share a look and Jack goes "You too, huh?" I'm not a fan of the Doctor/Martha ship, but that was a poignant moment and I'm very sorry they snipped it.

Dunno if there was more snipped, but those were the two places I noticed. ...Unless there was also more of the "Funny face, serious face" stuff, too.

Anubis69
September 29th, 2007, 11:42 AM

When the Master closes the door on the screaming woman he actually opened and closed the door again several times. I guess I can understand why it was cut (although it made the scene a little less funny). However, the second cut was a crime:

When the Doctor is comparing the perception filter to being "like when you fancy someone and they don't know you're alive." Martha and Jack share a look and Jack goes "You too, huh?" I'm not a fan of the Doctor/Martha ship, but that was a poignant moment and I'm very sorry they snipped it.

Dunno if there was more snipped, but those were the two places I noticed. ...Unless there was also more of the "Funny face, serious face" stuff, too.
But that's the best part!!!
after everything on the Valiant. And the phone call. And with the President.

Trek_Girl42
September 29th, 2007, 11:54 AM

They cut those bits! Those were some of the best parts! They came intact in our broadcast.....surprisingly.

Pitry
September 30th, 2007, 07:04 AM
They cut those bits! Those were some of the best parts! They came intact in our broadcast.....surprisingly.

I think your slot is lsightly longer than SciFis? SciFis' about 42-43 minutes per episodes, yours is 45 isn't it?

ShadowMaat
September 30th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Yeah, Skiffy crams in more commercial time. :rolleyes:

I swear one of these days they're going to air a show where there are more commercials than actual content.

docballen
September 30th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Yeah, Skiffy crams in more commercial time. :rolleyes:

I swear one of these days they're going to air a show where there are more commercials than actual content.

They do... it's called Doctor Who. I love Doctor Who, but these commercials drive me looney.

And this episode... I give it a 14 out of 10. It's that good.

P-90_177
September 30th, 2007, 11:54 AM
They do... it's called Doctor Who. I love Doctor Who, but these commercials drive me looney.

And this episode... I give it a 14 out of 10. It's that good.

heh heh. and to think. when we brits watch it..........there are no commercials. HAH!

Trek_Girl42
September 30th, 2007, 01:14 PM
I think your slot is lsightly longer than SciFis? SciFis' about 42-43 minutes per episodes, yours is 45 isn't it?
45? I wish. Though we may have gotten 45 for The Sound of Drums, I have to go back and compare them because I'm curious- we certainly didn't lose anything blatent on that one. :P But we're pretty much always 42-43 minutes- CBC seems to like editing down, but SPACE for example doesn't seem to edit anything at all (and usually ends up with 3 to 5 minutes left over at the end of each program because of shorter commercial breaks). But as for CBC.....our broadcast of Last of the Timelords is evidence of that. And I'm sure Torchwood will be too. :rolleyes:

creed462
September 30th, 2007, 01:30 PM
the master, he made a classic mistake......

Pitry
September 30th, 2007, 01:51 PM
45? I wish. Though we may have gotten 45 for The Sound of Drums, I have to go back and compare them because I'm curious- we certainly didn't lose anything blatent on that one. :P But we're pretty much always 42-43 minutes- CBC seems to like editing down, but SPACE for example doesn't seem to edit anything at all (and usually ends up with 3 to 5 minutes left over at the end of each program because of shorter commercial breaks). But as for CBC.....our broadcast of Last of the Timelords is evidence of that. And I'm sure Torchwood will be too. :rolleyes:

See, that's what I love about the Israeli channels, as messed up as they are. There are only two channels that are defined as "commercial" and are allowed to show adverts. All the cable/ satelite channels are like HBO, from what I gather - they get the money from the subscriptions and therefore aren't allowed to have adverts. So they can play with the times more, and as a result - well, I've never seen a single minute of Doctor Who or Torchwood cut out. :) Still dunno what they'd do with Last of hte Time Lords, cos the time slot they have for it is 50 minutes and that's 52 minutes, or even if they can get the full version... but I'm hopeful. :)

(oh, and another good thing about them. They don't cut things because of content reasons. ;) Which is a good thing with Torchwood :))

Trek_Girl42
September 30th, 2007, 04:19 PM
See, that's what I love about the Israeli channels, as messed up as they are. There are only two channels that are defined as "commercial" and are allowed to show adverts. All the cable/ satelite channels are like HBO, from what I gather - they get the money from the subscriptions and therefore aren't allowed to have adverts. So they can play with the times more, and as a result - well, I've never seen a single minute of Doctor Who or Torchwood cut out. :) Still dunno what they'd do with Last of hte Time Lords, cos the time slot they have for it is 50 minutes and that's 52 minutes, or even if they can get the full version... but I'm hopeful. :)

(oh, and another good thing about them. They don't cut things because of content reasons. ;) Which is a good thing with Torchwood :))
:lol: So I hear. I'm curious as to how CBC is going to edit down Torchwood- for content or what. I'm just surprised that they're airing it in the 9pm timeslot- if they start bleeping out words..... :rolleyes:

Pitry
September 30th, 2007, 04:23 PM
:lol: So I hear. I'm curious as to how CBC is going to edit down Torchwood- for content or what. I'm just surprised that they're airing it in the 9pm timeslot- if they start bleeping out words..... :rolleyes:

See, here's the tyhing. I've no idea if it's because it's on cable, we're more lax about these htings or because it's in a differnet language and they can sort of control it with the subtitles - but here all they did was make sure the epsiode doesn't air before 8 (!) p.m. -They gave it Doctor Who's time slot but DW also had a couple of re-runs in the morning after and Saturday morning which they cancelled, and then switched BSG and Torchwood on a Friday re-run so Torchwood started at 8:30 - but that was basically it. It really makes me wonder- if you're wondering whether they'll cut things when it's on at 9... ;)

Trek_Girl42
September 30th, 2007, 04:32 PM
See, here's the tyhing. I've no idea if it's because it's on cable, we're more lax about these htings or because it's in a differnet language and they can sort of control it with the subtitles - but here all they did was make sure the epsiode doesn't air before 8 (!) p.m. -They gave it Doctor Who's time slot but DW also had a couple of re-runs in the morning after and Saturday morning which they cancelled, and then switched BSG and Torchwood on a Friday re-run so Torchwood started at 8:30 - but that was basically it. It really makes me wonder- if you're wondering whether they'll cut things when it's on at 9... ;)
Oh yeah, if it's on cable they could air it at any old time and no one would blink. SPACE channel for example would probably air it at 7pm if they had it. But CBC is our basic channel, so yup, I curious as to what they'll do. I don't watch anything else on it aside from movies Doctor Who and hockey, so I'm not sure what their practises are for dramas. But there is nothing worse than watching a movie on CBC before 10pm with extensive bleeping. :rolleyes: Hec, for several years this exact timeslot was reserved for family-friendly Red Green if I recall correctly. :P

RDAfan61
October 1st, 2007, 06:28 PM
In any case, I knew Martha would be the one who has to save the world, because Rose did in her first year. I also look forward to the episode being extra long from the usual. Awesome!

Extra long? On Sci Fi? I ask because wondering if I need to set the DVR for longer as not to miss anything? Thanks

ShadowMaat
October 1st, 2007, 07:31 PM
On SCIFI? I find that hard to believe. More likely they'll just hack out more to make it fit. :rolleyes:

RDAfan61
October 2nd, 2007, 06:42 PM
True, one can always dream though....... Fortunately I have my 3rd Season DVD set ordered. :) I can watch them without all those pesky commercials.

MasySyma
October 4th, 2007, 08:09 PM
I'm with everyone else on this one. The episode was great; the commercials stunk; and SciFi execs should be fed to Daleks for editing snippets out of the episode. I'm looking forward to an awesome finale, but I dread what SciFi will do to the episode.

I'm looking forward to the DVDs too. :)

Myn McGeek, Third Sentinel
October 4th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Being an American who avoids spoilers, I didn't get Madeleine_W's sig, Anubis69's avatar, or Pitry's avatar until last Friday... and you've all had them for months.

I was watching the Master talking about the difference between funny and not funny.... you know, Anubis's avi... and... I thought of... well.... Anubis's avi.

Thanks a lot, Anubis... http://gopher65.com/images/drwho/DoctorBI.gif

http://gopher65.com/images/drwho/DoctorP.gif http://gopher65.com/images/drwho/MarthaP.gif

Aaaww crap..... that reminds me... I have to make a Master smiley set... I'll have to remember to make one based on that scene! http://gopher65.com/images/drwho/Doctorlol.gif

Trek_Girl42
October 4th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Being an American who avoids spoilers, I didn't get Madeleine_W's sig, Anubis69's avatar, or Pitry's avatar until last Friday... and you've all had them for months.

I was watching the Master talking about the difference between funny and not funny.... you know, Anubis's avi... and... I thought of... well.... Anubis's avi.

Thanks a lot, Anubis... http://gopher65.com/images/drwho/DoctorBI.gif

http://gopher65.com/images/drwho/DoctorP.gif http://gopher65.com/images/drwho/MarthaP.gif

Aaaww crap..... that reminds me... I have to make a Master smiley set... I'll have to remember to make one based on that scene! http://gopher65.com/images/drwho/Doctorlol.gif
:lol: I thought the same think about Anubis69's avatar when watching that scene as well.

Can't wait to see what you come up with. :D

Anubis69
October 5th, 2007, 09:05 AM
You're welcome. *Bows* :P

Yeah, if you make a Master smiley set, I would have to declare you the best person EVER. :D

Myn McGeek, Third Sentinel
October 5th, 2007, 11:12 AM
:lol: I thought the same think about Anubis69's avatar when watching that scene as well.
Ha! http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/Myn_M/Doctor%20Who/The%20Doctor/Doctorlol.gif

Your welcome. *Bows* :P

Yeah, if you make a Master smiley set, I would have to declare you the best person EVER. :D
Tee hee!! :jack_new15: (c)aintright

:D

~Benjamin~
October 6th, 2007, 06:58 AM
so they cut out scenes of a great show to put in commercails everyone hates?

so stupid

Coco Pops
May 18th, 2008, 12:47 AM
In the Flash Animated story Scream of the Shalka, the Doctor (voiced by Richard E. Grant) has a line of dialogue "You left the umbrella stand in the Zeppellin hanger - again...".
A Zeppellin is an airship in case you were wondering.

Blimey... And where would you take the Zepellin. You can't fly it out o the TARDIS, though that might be interesting to see done... LOL

Cold Fuzz
January 30th, 2010, 12:28 AM
I could write at great length about why Harold Saxon/The Master is now arguably my favorite villain but I think he could be summed up very quickly like this: He has all the wit, humor, hyperactivity, and fire of the Doctor, except he's horribly evil. He's the Anti-Doctor. And, like the Doctor, he's got style! http://gopher65.com/images/drwho/Masterthumbs.gif

gateship15
January 30th, 2010, 03:04 PM
lol the master is the opposite of the doctor i love seeing the doctor and the master together because even tho the doctor always wins the master always comes back again

maneth
July 25th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Cool episode! I really enjoyed it, much more even than the last one. The Master's creepy as anything, though!

Coco Pops
July 25th, 2012, 06:37 PM
I like that the Master stole the Valliant off SHIELD. :D

Coco Pops
June 7th, 2013, 05:04 AM
Timelords start life as children. We saw footage of the Master as a child about to stare at the event horizon of the time vortex...

Which brings up a question. He told the Doctor that he heard the drums way back then as a child so how could Rassilon do that thing with the diamond in "end of time" like he did to the adult Master?

I wonder what the Master and Doctor's names were as kids?

And the Doctor did tell Martha he had a family in Gridlock so I assume he had his own kids and a wifebeing and all the rest. I don't buy that rubbish about the looms. Stupid book.

maneth
September 3rd, 2014, 09:19 AM
One of my favorite episodes!