• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daleks in Manhattan (2904/304)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 29
    DALEKS IN MANHATTAN
    EPISODE NUMBER - 2904

In 1930 New York City, the surviving Daleks take advantage of Depression-era poverty to construct the Empire State Building and to experiment on their future evolution. The Doctor and Martha come to the aid of a chorus girl when her boyfriend goes missing.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:46 PM.

These are the worst american accents I have ever heard.

A more in-depth review to come after the episode finishes.
    Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

What do ya mean? D'ose akcents are poifect, oi tells ya!

Alas, I'll have to watch it later. I was too busy and I've missed a good ten minutes of this week's episode.
      "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

lol I liked the accents.
        I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
        Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou View Post
          lol I liked the accents.
          I have to admit I wasn't tuned in to the accents that much, but I was settled back with my head on a cushion and therefore only really listening with one ear. Plus the window was a bit open so I was getting quite a lot of traffic noise too.

That said, I quite enjoyed the efforts with the accents where I picked them up more clearly - though of course they're not always successful!
          sigpic

Comment

An okay episode, I preferred last weeks.

I feel like they're really over-using the Daleks now, even if it is the cult of Skaro that remains. I preferred the first part of the episode to the last part and wondered why the Daleks didn't recognise the Doctor....It was an interesting episode overall.

Here's my theory for next week;

The normal Daleks will turn against Dalek Sec because of his evolution, and the Doctor will then have to stop both sides from destroying humanity with the aid of the poor people.
            I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
            Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

i found that episode very dissapointing, was as good then i thought
              sigpic

Comment

This was probably the weakest episode of the season so far, to be honest, although it was by no means bad. There was nothing actually bad about it, the positives just weren't that strong.

I liked the conversation about what date it was. "You're getting good at this?"

This is a very... interesting move for the producers to make, regarding the Daleks. Hopefully they won't get of the old pepper pots for good.

The Pig-Slaves must be of really low intelligence to not notice the Doctor and Laszlo slipping in with the other prisoners.

So has Martha actually become a companion now, or is he still doing the "just one more trip" thing. He mentioned something about New York being a detour...

6-7/10

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
                  This was probably the weakest episode of the season so far, to be honest, although it was by no means bad. There was nothing actually bad about it, the positives just weren't that strong.
                  It's true.

Originally posted by mappalazarou View Post
                  The normal Daleks will turn against Dalek Sec because of his evolution, and the Doctor will then have to stop both sides from destroying humanity with the aid of the poor people.
                  I totally agree with you on that one.

I thought the accents were awful.

Comment

I'm torn on this one, the scenes in the sewers, and the scenes in the Empire State Building seemed very classic Who, on the other hand you had the slightly... naff (technical term that ) scenes which just put me off entirely, which basically adds up to everything in the theater, and any scene with that god aweful showgirl in the angel costume.

6/10 - some moments of brilliance, but they weren't enough to make up for the weaker parts of the ep.

Favorite line:

Martha: Daleks? - One word, but it showed a major difference between the increasingly impressive Martha, and Rose. Martha recognised the name from last week's ep, but didn't make a big deal of it. Rose on the other hand, would have probably gone on for a while. I also like Martha barking orders at The Daleks, just something about her absolute confidence, made me smile.

I agree with Map, considering the hints in this episode, I'd say there's going to be a Doctor, Thay, Jast and Caan vs Human Sec all out battle in the next ep, with the residents of Hooverville in the crossfire
                    Last edited by The Signal; 21 April 2007, 02:19 PM.
                    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

I liked this episode well enough although I'm not sure I want to see Animal Farm every week. The accents? Well, I'm not American so I didn't find them too grating. Tellulah's was probably the most obviously put on...

All those things aside, I thought this was a compelling episode. Slow moving but not inappropriately so. I liked the Depression backdrop and as someone else has said, there are a lot of classic Who elements to it. I'm especially glad to see them taking the Daleks to a different level because after seeing last week's preview I was thinking... "Eeeuw... not another Dalek ep. Die already." But the idea of them "evolving" is interesting.

I'm really liking S3 so far.
                      Last edited by Easter Lily; 21 April 2007, 03:36 PM.
                      sigpic
                      "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I thought it was a pretty good episode but I agree that the Daleks are starting to lose their impact from overuse. As far as the accents go, some of them were quite good but when they were bad....ooh boy were they bad. Of course most Americans couldn't do a convincing British accent to save their lives so I shouldn't say anything.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

It's that whole Brooklyn accent thing. It always sounds fake and cheesy, even when Americans are doing it. Farm Boy wasn't too bad and the Mayor of Hooverville was okay, but Tallulah (or however it's spelled) was awful... which kinda matched her character, actually. Very over done. Ditto the Architect and the rest of 'em.

Not quite sure what to make of the ep yet. It was a little disjointed in places but I still liked it. The "Human Dalek" is kinda icky and I'm not sure I like the look of it. Too much human, not enough Dalek, maybe.

Still loving Martha. Loved her ordering the Daleks around. "Report!" hee!

One thing that confused me, though, is how come the intelligence scan didn't pick up the fact that she's a time traveler? I suppose it's one of those things that you have to be looking for in order to pick up on it, but it still seemed a little ood odd.

I agree that the Daleks are being overplayed, though. We had them early in S27 and then in the finale, we had them in the S28 finale, we've got them again now and they're probably going to put in an appearance later this season... C'mon, I know Daleks are one of the uber-baddies, but that doesn't mean we have to run into them all the time.

Comment

Personally their should be the very last time we see them, for at least ten years.

They getting boring, that do not look interesting, and some of the shots of them seemed to unreal, and poorly done, compare to past epidsodes.

Part from that it was alright, the accents, we just call even shall we, when American shows/films start making sure they have descent english accent we can make our sure how have descent american accent.

Comment

You know I am beginning to think I am on a completely different page to the rest of the Doctor Who fans on GW.

I loved this! Made all the better as it isn't being rushed (2 parter).

I don't think you can over-use The Daleks, they are Doctor Who as much as Darth Vader is Star Wars *shrugs* maybe why they are being "used" could be better realised in these episodes, but I have thought that with almost all of the Classic episodes featuring The Daleks without Davros to me it was Davros that made the episodes what they were.

The Daleks have always been his creatures, his slaves even, they never should have been able to go forth and be their own race (plan or no plan) and I am not a fan of the Cult and I also think Davros and The Doctor had a weird but interesting relationship, you just cannot have a relationship with a Dalek, they are not made that way, so ultimately you end up with a Dalek ranting about supreme beings and a Doctor just trying to kill them.

All that aside.

I liked the location, the accents were believable in the way that accents never are on TV and I also liked the three stories coming together it felt so much like a Classic Who episode that when the big reveal happened I didn't cringe at the very questionable make up job it was like watching "The brain of Morbius" again! lol

I am doubtful about the experiments, The Daleks should prefer death over (what?) melding their DNA with humans, humans are nothing but scum to The Daleks. I hope next week we find out what is really going on as that will not sit well with me, I mean all the races and they choose the one they hate the most, why? Just because we survive? I bet the rats survive too why not use them.

Did others pick up on the shielding of the Dalek missing? I assume that is what the panelling is made of; so who or what are they summoning? Or is the plan to destroy Earth after they take all the intelligent people, and if it is intelligence they want why on earth did they start with Americans!!! *runs away*

Down side.

Really annoyed with the Martha TimeLord!Crush. I did like the line: "he likes musical theatre".

Also the pigs? That made zero sense to me, why not just use people? Resources being what they are I don't see why they needed to go the extra mile and waste time and effort "transforming" them into pig slaves.

While not perfect, this is IMHO the best one of series 29 so far; but I will wait until next week to make my mind up completely. There are just too many unanswered questions.

Comment

Working...
                              X