This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tollan Ion cannons vs Wraith Hiveship

How effective do you think the Tollan Ion cannons would be on the Wraith Hiveship? I know that anubis's shields could withstand the Ion cannons but wraith hiveships aren't shielded so wouldn' the cannons just tear the Hiveship apart?
    Vote Anubis for President in 2012
    A Face you Can Trust
    sigpic
    So whats the worst that could happen?
    Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
    It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
    How effective do you think the Tollan Ion cannons would be on the Wraith Hiveship? I know that anubis's shields could withstand the Ion cannons but wraith hiveships aren't shielded so wouldn' the cannons just tear the Hiveship apart?
    I doubt it, hives can withstand Wraith energy blasts so i think they can take Ion canon hits, we don't know how anubis's Ha'taks were able to reply the Ion canons but his shields couldn't have been that strong as the other systems lords were still able to fight him effectively...
    Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

I always wondered how the ion cannons had little to no effect on anubis shields yet the other system lords were putting a fight against him if his shields were that powerful
      Vote Anubis for President in 2012
      A Face you Can Trust
      sigpic
      So whats the worst that could happen?
      Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
      It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

I always wondered how the ion cannons had little to no effect on anubis shields yet the other system lords were putting a fight against him if his shields were that powerful
        maybe idea was not strengt of shield? maybe idea was somekind invisible or disturbance ion cannon's sensors that cannons can not target.
        Asgard in memoriam

Comment

I imagine he designed something into his shields specifically to repel Ion-based weapons.

As for Tollan Ion Cannons against a Wraith Hiveship, I doubt it would be a 1-hit KO, but enough blasts would surely take one down. They're still VASTLY, VASTLY, VASTLY inferior to Drones> "Phasers" and Ori/Asuran/Alteran(including Lantean) Beam Cannons. All of which would be a 1-3 sec. KO.
          sigpic
          "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
          ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman
            one explanation is that not only could his shields block the ion cannon blasts (originally those blasts could go right through goauld shields, just like drones) but they were also specifically optimized against ion cannons

though IMO it's more plausible that tollan cannons don't rely on brute firepower (unlike goauld cannons) so as long as a shield can detect & block them the blasts will be relatively harmless & do little damage to the shield

Comment

I feel that the Ion Cannon tech didn't necessarily output a very powerful charge but somehow bypassed shields by another means. It could be that the charge is a certain type of energy that Gould shields couldn't stop. Anubis used shielding based heavily on Ancient technology - more so then normal Gould ships - so it's not easy to say why the Ion Cannon had no effect but the combined strength of the System Lords might have. We've seen that Ancient shields will fall if put under great stress so perhaps the System Lords thought they might have a chance. If we assume that the Ion Cannons didn't rely solely on power alone then it may make sense that Anubis' ship was able to withstand the cannon's repeated shots but the System Lords still weren't scared away... who knows.

If we maintain the assumption that Ion Cannon charge wasn't necessarily super powerful then it' unlikely that it would have any significant effect on Wraith technology. Also, because Wraith tech is bio based, conventional energy weapons might not be as effective as they are against human or Gould, etc. tech. But again... who knows. It would be interesting to see but I don't think we ever will :-(
              Long live the Asgard

Long live my buddy Thor

Comment

Originally posted by asgardcmndr View Post
                I feel that the Ion Cannon tech didn't necessarily output a very powerful charge but somehow bypassed shields by another means. It could be that the charge is a certain type of energy that Gould shields couldn't stop.
                This is my thinking as well. The Ion cannons worked because they somehow "cheated" their way past Goa'uld shields and just blasted the hulls apart.

Since Wraith ship doesn't have shields to cheat in the first place their main advantage is gone. They'll probably damage it, but not to any great or dramatic effect, certainly not enough to stop it from just shooting back and destroying the emplacments.

Comment

Ion Cannons are deceased. Forget about them

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Comment

Even if Anubis mothership are able resist ion cannons, but why cannons did not fire those death gliders?
                    Asgard in memoriam

Comment

in star wars ion cannon’s destroy all of the electronic stuff, if the Tollan ion cannons work on the principal, it will do little harm to the hive ships because there are part organic in nature.
                      sorry cant spell

Comment

^

The thing though is that ion cannons in SW only disable the target's systems, whereas it's pretty obvious that their function is to destroy the target outright in the Stargate universe.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that the Tollan's ion cannons are probably at least as powerful as the primary energy weapons on a Hiveship, meaning they'd be able to inflict significant damage to the aforementioned vessel's unshielded hull, although not destroy it outright (mainly due to its sheer size). A continuous barrage would almost certainly destroy the ship though, although the Hiveship itself wouldn't just be sitting there helpless in the meantime (not unless the initial ion volley hits something critical) and would almost certainly retaliate by targeting the cannons via orbital bombardment.

Comment

A single fully charged bolt could take down an entire ha'tak.

It won't take much to take down a hiveship imho, safe if the armour helps in that domain to deplete a weapon that may not rely on raw force.
                          The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Due to the size of the Hive class ship and the hull strength I would say it would take two to four direct hits from a tollan Ion-Cannon to destroy a Wraith Hive ship

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

Well, imo the hives are 6-8 times the size of a Hatak, so i would say that 8-10 shots would be needed to do serious damage..

And i do agree, as soon as the wraith detected the weapons fire, they would retaliate, and destroy them... which is why i wondered why the Gou'ald never did that..

Comment

Working...
                              X