This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If there were never the Dark Ages

You know how the Tollan were more advanced then us because they didn't have a dark age. Well how much advanced with Earth be if we didn't have a Dark Age? Would we be more then the tollan or less? Would the Earth still be ruled by the Romans? Would Earth be dead by know because of the tech? How do you think Earth would be like if we didn't have the dark ages. This is purly speculation but I would like to hear what you have to say.

Me I think we would have been beyond the Tollan because we had an Earth with more countries and more thinkers that would have made more ideas. Also I think the world would be united into three different groups. The Good, the Bad and the Netural. The good and the bad would fight over the stargate while the Netural just stayed netural.
    Vote Anubis for President in 2012
    A Face you Can Trust
    sigpic
    So whats the worst that could happen?
    Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
    It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Well I think Jackson said we could have been at there level if there were no dark ages, but how advanced we'd have become is anyone's guess. The dark ages lasted about 600 years, so it's possible we could have been 600 years more advanced or everyone within those 600 years could have been may have had two brain cells to rub together, causing us to still be at our current level.

I don't believe much of anything went on during the dark ages, it wasn't just science being classed as black magic (as I believe Daniel put it) but it was almost everything. It was like the human race was retarded for 600 years and everything was held back, not just science so even without the dark ages as they were, science probably wouldn't have been big on the agenda anyway.

sigpic

Comment

Good Gads

The "Dark Ages" took place in Europe, not the whole world. Petrarch used the term in the circa 1300 to describe the lack of written texts coming out of that period. In the mid 400 to about 1000, you had a time of great upheaval. The vikings were terrorzing and looting the coast lines and later started pushing inland. Things were not very stable at that point in time and when that happens you do not see much in the development of sceinces and arts.

the Islamic Golden age was happening around this same time, science was flourishing there.

The norse were exploring moving into Iceland, Greenland, Russia and down into the Baltic.

That's not even touching what the Mayans were doing w/ thier calendar, astronomy, and mathmatics.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
        You know how the Tollan were more advanced then us because they didn't have a dark age. Well how much advanced with Earth be if we didn't have a Dark Age? Would we be more then the tollan or less? Would the Earth still be ruled by the Romans? Would Earth be dead by know because of the tech? How do you think Earth would be like if we didn't have the dark ages. This is purly speculation but I would like to hear what you have to say.

Me I think we would have been beyond the Tollan because we had an Earth with more countries and more thinkers that would have made more ideas. Also I think the world would be united into three different groups. The Good, the Bad and the Netural. The good and the bad would fight over the stargate while the Netural just stayed netural.
        I think you have to be more clear. What would have the world have been like instead? Does the Roman Empire still fall?

Without the Dark Ages, there may be no Renaissance. Without the Renaissance, there may be no Age of Enlightenment. There's no way to predict how things would have happened. We could conceivably be less technologically advanced without a shift towards science and a more robust scientific method. Alchemy and magic may still be the science of today.

EDIT: Without a period where everything sucks, there isn't as much drive to make things better.

Comment

I know this is slightly off topic, but I think if the Tollan were never invaded, and were still being assisted by the Nox, the Tau'ri would still outclass them (as far as military tech) within the next decade. I'm not talking slightly either, I'm saying a handful of 2016 Tau'ri Warships (BC-306s?) having a unanimous victory over their entire world with NO LOSSES on our side.

Even now I think that the Tau'ri would have a good shot at annihilating their planet.
          Spoiler:
          If Carter/McKay could interface Asgard Neutrino Generators to power Atlantis they could swiftly destroy all Tollan Ion Cannons & Starships (Anubis's Alteran-Enhanced Shields couldn't be penetrated by the most advanced Tollan weapons, and Atlantis has Authentic Alteran shields). Then they could just use Asgard beams to deploy a handful of Mk. 9s and turn the entire surface of their planet into super-heated plasma.
          sigpic
          "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
          ~David Hewlett

Comment

Just predict what would have happened then. I mean look at the Tollan they didn't have dark ages and looked how they turned out pretty good (other then the dead thing) I mean if Anubis hadn;t showed up they would be reatty damn powerful. So I think Earth would have even more advanced
            Vote Anubis for President in 2012
            A Face you Can Trust
            sigpic
            So whats the worst that could happen?
            Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
            It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Originally posted by cobraR478
              Without the Dark Ages, there may be no Renaissance. Without the Renaissance, there may be no Age of Enlightenment. There's no way to predict how things would have happened. We could conceivably be less technologically advanced without a shift towards science and a more robust scientific method. Alchemy and magic may still be the science of today.
              so basically without the dark ages we may still be in the dark ages ?

Comment

well consider the dark age were influece by Melin and Morgan La Fay, their battle over the Sangraal.I believe the dark age were in some way necesary for the them ,and as result the Sangraal were created which play a part in the war against the Ori.
                And remember the planet in episode "Demon" , we were wondering who bought those people to offworld during the dark ages.

Now we got the answer, Melin and Morgan create many world with middle age Europe culture.The world of magic and dragon .may be we should observe those world to see how they progress in the centuries to come,and compare with Earth .

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                  Good Gads

The "Dark Ages" took place in Europe, not the whole world. Petrarch used the term in the circa 1300 to describe the lack of written texts coming out of that period. In the mid 400 to about 1000, you had a time of great upheaval. The vikings were terrorzing and looting the coast lines and later started pushing inland. Things were not very stable at that point in time and when that happens you do not see much in the development of sceinces and arts.

the Islamic Golden age was happening around this same time, science was flourishing there.

The norse were exploring moving into Iceland, Greenland, Russia and down into the Baltic.

That's not even touching what the Mayans were doing w/ thier calendar, astronomy, and mathmatics.

I agree with you, with or without the so called "Dark Ages", same thing. I think a better question would be ..."Had the church been a little less influential ..."

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
                    I agree with you, with or without the so called "Dark Ages", same thing. I think a better question would be ..."Had the church been a little less influential ..."
                    Indeed.

Have you also thought of Alexandria's ancient libary?? Just because Roman soldiers burnt it countless things had to be re-invented.

There are at least 3 things that slowed down our development: Catolic church, Alexandria and The long belief that Earth was flat. Without those we could be a) thriving b) suffered armageddon

Comment

How long do you think they thought the Earth was flat?

And I think the loss of Archemede's mathematical notes was a big hinderence in our development. He invented Integration for cripes sakes! That was, what, thousands of years ago?!

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                        How long do you think they thought the Earth was flat?

And I think the loss of Archemede's mathematical notes was a big hinderence in our development. He invented Integration for cripes sakes! That was, what, thousands of years ago?!
                        That flatness belief must be tens of thousands years old..

Archimedes too died because of rome. He could have invented lots of thins, if only, he would had lived a bit longer

Comment

Lets not forget that greece and rome were not equalled in military power, technology, social ethics, political system until only 200 years ago. If the roman empire hadnt fell and they had continued to gain influences from other cultures like the Chinese, they could have invented things that we today think as advanced. The Steam engine was in use in ancient rome, and they had knowledge of gunpowder..they could have started the IR much earlier if the darkages hadnt happened.
                          sigpic
                          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                          Stargate : Genesis |
                          Original Starship DesignThread
                          Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                          11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by Semmer View Post
                            That flatness belief must be tens of thousands years old..
                            Actually, I was getting at the myth that Columbus thought the world was flat. That's false.

Comment

Dont forget construction their where ancient cultures that were more advanced at construction than we are now

And had astrology knowledge onpar with which isnt bad considering

Comment

Working...
                              X