Superman- Most Unrealistic Superhero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Superman- Most Unrealistic Superhero

Right, so first off, I'm a fan of Smallville. Yup. Despite it being an incredibly cheesy soap opera, I am a faithful watcher (well, up until it began sucking supremely in the fifth season).

I always dissed Superman for the incredible stupidity of his powers being attributed to the fact that he's from another planet and his body is affected differently by our atmosphere and gravity.
    Of course, everything else about Superman was just as laughable as all the other superheroes of the time.

I was glad to find when I began watching Smallville, and from the reports of friends who are avid readers of the comics, that the new Superman of this era is of a race of genetically altered superweapons. Much more explainable. Ultimately cooler.

However, I was disappointed to find that Smallville didn't really try to go out of their way to explain anything else. It's as if the writers approach each episode with, "He's Superman, he can do anything, and our viewers should just accept that."
    Now sure, there are still other crappy superheroes in this era with completely unexplained, absurd, illogical, and unsensible abilities. Fantastic 4 was unbearable in their modern remake. So were others.
    But come on, even the turd of a film remake for Hulk tried explaining a few things.
    Also, films like X-men and Spiderman try to further explain little details. Little details are Smallville's worst nightmare.

How come Superman's reflexes when running are quick enough to react faster than the speed of sound, yet in other instances (example- turning around as the insect mutant in one of the first episodes swung a metal pipe at him and not being able to duck it) he seems to react slower than some humans?
    You might be able to say he "kicks into super-speed mode" or something like that, but in that case, how was he able to dodge bullets while slowly walking toward someone (example- that one episode where he uncovers the mystery about Lana's great aunt's murder)?

Superman doesn't feel a thing when walking through the Arctic in his undershirt, or treading through fire nearly naked, and he even states as much.
    Yet, at the same time, he seems capable of feeling temperature (example- the episode where he discovers his heat vision, he finds himself sweating and feeling incredibly hot in class).
    He also seems to understand the concept of heat and cold.
    Can he just not feel it whenever he decides not to? Then why not wait till he's not looking, jump out of a bush, and overwhelm him with a flamethrower?

How does Superman cut his hair? It's apparent he does, because as a very Tom Welling-infatuated female friend of mine pointed out while fiercely observing his appearance, he changes his hair style every few episodes and its constantly changing length in different areas.
    Yet, in the show, they show that his hair cannot be burned (example- he comes out of the explosion at his barn with his hair perfectly intact), cannot be cut (example- a bewitched Lana attempts to take a lock and her scissors break), cannot be radiated (he's been through countless amounts of it, so an example would be worthless), and can't even be physically ripped from the flesh of his head (I think he walked through a meat grinder or garbage crusher or something like that- regardless, his flesh is invincible).

How come his shoes don't wear through whenever he runs that fast? Nascar racers and jets replace their fine, thick, top-of-the-line rubber wheels daily, and Superman can keep the same pair of Nike's when going at lightspeed across rough terrain?

Why does he turn on a light in the dark? Hello.

Why does his x-ray vision only appear to be able to view skeletons and metal cores except for when he's viewing women naked?

I have more, I just can't think of them right now. Will post more later.
    If you can attempt an answer at any, post it.

right....

i hope you know your a realist..
    and if your a realist then superman and all the other heroes and villains in dc, marvel, and all others don't exist. if the creators of these heroes and villains were realistically following your theories and science then i assure you none of these characters would have sold in the market.

somethings aren't made to make sense. heroes and villains defy physics in everyway. that is why they are interesting and we continue to watch.

saying that. i can be just as realistic like you. examples
    - how can super man fly? is there propellers underneath his skin?
    - where does the power source for his fire eyes come from? is there a battery in his brain?
    - how can he blow so much from his lungs when his lung capacity doesn't appear to be so big?
    - how can he move so fast? does he have a engine present in his torso? if so then isnt he a robot

you get the point.
    Last edited by tofuchef; 21 March 2007, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tofuchef View Post
      right....

i hope you know your a realist..
      and if your a realist then superman and all the other heroes and villains in dc, marvel, and all others don't exist. if the creators of these heroes and villains were realistically following your theories and science then i assure you none of these characters would have sold in the market.

somethings aren't made to make sense. heroes and villains defy physics in everyway. that is why they are interesting and we continue to watch.

saying that. i can be just as realistic like you. examples
      - how can super man fly? is there propellers underneath his skin?
      - where does the power source for his fire eyes come from? is there a battery in his brain?
      - how can he blow so much from his lungs when his lung capacity doesn't appear to be so big?
      - how can he move so fast? does he have a engine present in his torso? if so then isnt he a robot

you get the point.
      Yeah, but we also know the Kryptonians are thousands of years more advanced than us scientifically.
      Only a hundred years ago most modern technology would seem impossible. We just assume that the Kryptonians have the technology to genetically alter themselves in ways we don't understand.

As for the robot thing, the human body is an engine, just a fragile one made of flesh and tissue. The Kryptonians have apparently discovered a way to maximize this engine.

My point is, the show makers don't put the slightest thought into actually trying to make his everyday doings realistic.
      They also can't seem to set boundaries for his power. One moment he can run to South America in half a minute, and the other it takes him twice that time to get across town.

Comment

Superman came from a time where he was an idea and needed little explination other than the fact that he was amazing. In the times of his creation, people were content and didn't ask questions... when it finally grew into the era where every other super hero had some sort of scientific or long and complicated explination as to how they got their powers, no one cared much to push further into Superman's background, other than a slight explination about differences in gravity and what-not between Earth and Kyrpton... and no one really seemed to care because, well... he's SUPERMAN. He paved the road for every other superhero, so it was merely expected that we just understand that he's a super being from a superior planet that ended up destroying itself for being too powerful.

As much as I prefer evolved/mutated humans to super aliens, I don't think there's anything wrong with the lack of explination. He's a piece of imagination and in no way, is he meant to be realistic; other than the emotions he feels and the way he deals with them in that metaphoric stance, of course.

Interesting view point, though. Good thought and kudos for bringing it up.

Comment

[QUOTE=squeakytoad;6469322]How does Superman cut his hair?QUOTE]

he uses krytonite scissors!!!!
          sigpic

Comment

also in some episodes clarks hair does get muffed up

like the episode where the baby unleashed energy and turns to a few ages in a minute, when he dies on top of that windmill, releasing his energy clark come back to lana with all his hair everywhere.

and also the ep where clark is at school and louis throws a football and dunks clark in the water and she then gets her hands and messes clarks hair up even more.

its the small stuff they dont care(the writers that is) they dont have to pay attention to every single detail, but in some cases they do!
            sigpic

Comment

It's called movie magic. It's like in heroes, whenever Claire walks through fire, her hair is untouched... In reality, it would have all burned off.

For Clark, too.. it's just a dramatic effect... while his hair could be muffled around, it wouldn't look too good to have him walk out with crisped or no hair.

Comment

To save space.
                Spoiler:
                Originally posted by squeakytoad View Post
                Right, so first off, I'm a fan of Smallville. Yup. Despite it being an incredibly cheesy soap opera, I am a faithful watcher (well, up until it began sucking supremely in the fifth season).

I always dissed Superman for the incredible stupidity of his powers being attributed to the fact that he's from another planet and his body is affected differently by our atmosphere and gravity.
                Of course, everything else about Superman was just as laughable as all the other superheroes of the time.

I was glad to find when I began watching Smallville, and from the reports of friends who are avid readers of the comics, that the new Superman of this era is of a race of genetically altered superweapons. Much more explainable. Ultimately cooler.

However, I was disappointed to find that Smallville didn't really try to go out of their way to explain anything else. It's as if the writers approach each episode with, "He's Superman, he can do anything, and our viewers should just accept that."
                Now sure, there are still other crappy superheroes in this era with completely unexplained, absurd, illogical, and unsensible abilities. Fantastic 4 was unbearable in their modern remake. So were others.
                But come on, even the turd of a film remake for Hulk tried explaining a few things.
                Also, films like X-men and Spiderman try to further explain little details. Little details are Smallville's worst nightmare.

How come Superman's reflexes when running are quick enough to react faster than the speed of sound, yet in other instances (example- turning around as the insect mutant in one of the first episodes swung a metal pipe at him and not being able to duck it) he seems to react slower than some humans?
                You might be able to say he "kicks into super-speed mode" or something like that, but in that case, how was he able to dodge bullets while slowly walking toward someone (example- that one episode where he uncovers the mystery about Lana's great aunt's murder)?

Superman doesn't feel a thing when walking through the Arctic in his undershirt, or treading through fire nearly naked, and he even states as much.
                Yet, at the same time, he seems capable of feeling temperature (example- the episode where he discovers his heat vision, he finds himself sweating and feeling incredibly hot in class).
                He also seems to understand the concept of heat and cold.
                Can he just not feel it whenever he decides not to? Then why not wait till he's not looking, jump out of a bush, and overwhelm him with a flamethrower?

How does Superman cut his hair? It's apparent he does, because as a very Tom Welling-infatuated female friend of mine pointed out while fiercely observing his appearance, he changes his hair style every few episodes and its constantly changing length in different areas.
                Yet, in the show, they show that his hair cannot be burned (example- he comes out of the explosion at his barn with his hair perfectly intact), cannot be cut (example- a bewitched Lana attempts to take a lock and her scissors break), cannot be radiated (he's been through countless amounts of it, so an example would be worthless), and can't even be physically ripped from the flesh of his head (I think he walked through a meat grinder or garbage crusher or something like that- regardless, his flesh is invincible).

How come his shoes don't wear through whenever he runs that fast? Nascar racers and jets replace their fine, thick, top-of-the-line rubber wheels daily, and Superman can keep the same pair of Nike's when going at lightspeed across rough terrain?

Why does he turn on a light in the dark? Hello.

Why does his x-ray vision only appear to be able to view skeletons and metal cores except for when he's viewing women naked?

I have more, I just can't think of them right now. Will post more later.
                If you can attempt an answer at any, post it.

I think that for the most part, all of your questions have been explained in the various, while the Smallville x-ray vision (but not through clothes) is probably because he's always being credited as having x-ray vision so they show it like that, expect when looking through girls clothes as he is a guy and what guy would want to literally use x-ray vision instead of girls clothes. Plus it adds to the fanservice.

His aura has been known to protect his clothes (I think they said that in Lois and Clark), which is why his suit never gets damaged but it doesn't explain his cape or even his Smallville shoes are protected when a t-shirt isn't. I believe in L&C hair has been cut by having kryptonite near him to have an effect but not to make him sick and his facial hair is shaved by using his laser vision.

I am also not sure that he's ever been said to have nightvision, but the DCAU series has given him the ability to change his voice because he's got super control over all his body.

As for his heat, that's not a hard one. You are taking external heat and cold and trying to compare it to his own internal heating up. His biology would all him to withstand this but his own biology would make his own temperature hotter than most other things has fire is no problem.

--

I will agree that Superman is one of the most unrealistic heroes. Smallville and the DCAU have shown Superman to be a person who can be thrown about like a ragdoll and show that he's got a limit to just exactly what he can do unless he pushes him. while the Movies and Lois and Clark have shown Superman to be extremely powerful, no real limits and to take on a lot things directly and not have to brace himself or move a budge.

His infinite powers just seem to just make him too overpowered, which in turn leads to more powerful enemies which in turn leads to Superman becoming more powerful to stop them. It's like Dragonball Z, but Superman doesn't glow yellow and have longer hair.

sigpic

Comment

While i find it a bit funny too, how his reactions get so much better in super-speed mode, it looks like time is passing faster for him when he's super-speed.
                  According to the Theory of Relativity, if he gets near lightspeed this would probably actualy be the case.
                  Thats how i explained this to myself.

Comment

Originally posted by squeakytoad View Post

Since When, superman's origin story is one of few that has never changed. And please don't tell me that this is one of those '52', Year One or Infinite Crisis changes because I will really pissed off with DC.
                    http://panzor.deviantart.com/ - deviantART: panzor

Comment

To those saying he cuts his hair with kryptonite, no matter what series of Superman you're reading, he doesn't discover kryptonite till late teens or adulthood.

Comment

i alaways thought superman was dumb, they could have explained his super strength easily by saying Krypton has higher gravity than earth, but they always try some over the top explanation! and honestly, he has the second worst weakness of any super hero! red light and a green rock, hell you can take out him AND the Green Lantern by making bullets out of kryptonite and painting them yellow! www.superdickery.com this site shows how much f a douche superman is.
                        Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
                        sigpic

Comment

More so than simple colours f both Green & Yellow is there makeup and ther effects on certain aliens:

[] Kryptonite: is green, yeah, it glows green, but it is radioactive, it does effect Humans but does not drain them, for superman, Green Kryptonite drains his energy, the sun gives him the energy, Green Kryptonite however makes Humans stronger and effects the bodily functions of Humans, it the opposite, that's why Jor'el sent Superman to Earth, they were primative, but seeked guidance, Kal'el was tat saviour.

[] Yellow to the gree lanterns is a bredand born physcologicaly draining colour, the rings that the Green Lantrn's use are drawn from a source, but the ability comes from the wearer, if the mind is effected the powers are drained or simply can not be summoned corectly.

Parallax is a yellow alien parasite, it could be from this the fear of yellow comes from.

Green singifies power or something to that effect

Yellow: weakness, sadness

Red: is anybody's guess, I'm not entirely sure about red, but it does do something
                          sigpic
                          In brightest day, in darkest night,

No evil shall escape my sight

Let those who worship evil's might,

Beware my power...Green Rep-Points light!

Comment

Working...
                          X