This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carter vs. Mckay (season 4)

I personaly cant wait. One interaction and arguments we might be getting would be the discussion and arguments about asguard and ancient technologies.

Carter gets her own ship. packed with the latest asguard technology, since she is most likely the leading expert on it.
    So carter = expert on asguard tech
    mckay = expert on ancient tech
    Carter must feel a bond and connection with the asguard after unending. Sam loved thor, and mckay hates everybody.

Carter "we can use a asguard power core for that" Mckay "why the hell would we do that, we'll just use the ZPM, lantien techlogy kicks the asguards ass"

Originally posted by -Canadian- View Post
    I personaly cant wait. One interaction and arguments we might be getting would be the discussion and arguments about asguard and ancient technologies.

Carter gets her own ship. packed with the latest asguard technology, since she is most likely the leading expert on it.
    Carter must feel a bond and connection with the asguard after unending. Sam loved thor, and mckay hates everybody.

Carter "we can use a asguard power core for that" Mckay "why the hell would we do that, we'll just use the ZPM, lantien techlogy kicks the asguards ass"
    LOL yeah me too. I personally can't wait either.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

LOL.... but mckay will win... i cant wait for the amount of 'your sexy' calls.

but i hope they make some Asgard/Lantien hybrid stuff. like a PJ with a hyper drive... Or an Asgard/Lantien hybrid ship like the Daedalus... oh and it would be even better if it has some wraith tech in it aswell... dunno what though lol.

Comment

I have absolutely no problem with Carter coming over to Atlantis. I'm actually looking forward to it. My only concern is that it turns into the Carter/McKay show. Having said that though I will enjoy the occasional banter between the two. Carter is the only one that can put McKay in his place, but I have to say I prefer the banter between McKay and Sheppard. I really think JF and DH play well off eachother.
        sigpic

Rotating SIGs by Pegasus_SGA
        &
        AVI by *ERIKA*

Comment

I am looking forward to it as well.

In fact, if there were such a term as "half-shipping", I would heartily support it in this case.

Of course, Katie Brown would have to be removed, but that's one character the powers that be can kill, in my opinion.

Comment

Now you come to think about. It will be cool to see Carter on Atlantis. Only for one session though.

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Comment

I have every problem with her coming over. TPTB seem to feel the need to turn McKay into a bumbling idiot who has no intelligence whenever Carter is around and quite frankly, I had enough of that in The Pegasus Project, I don't need it for an entire season.
              sigpic
              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I do not like the McKay/Carter chemistry. DH and AT are good friends, so I feel bad saying so, but they really don't come across well on screen for me.

As for how these two characters are scripted, when they discuss science, the conversation devolves into McKay broaching the subject of sex and...that just doesn't seem very much like him after his experiences in Atlantis. The two had a good scene in the first part of "McKay and Mrs. Miller," when they were going over his sister's work, but after that the two felt awkward together. And, as much as I enjoyed "Grace Under Pressure," again, the two actors/characters didn't gel for me.

(And I can't decide whether it's an actor or a character problem. Maybe both. I go with my gut on these things, but my gut isn't all that specific.)

If Carter's role were like that of Sumner, an antagonist with a military presence, it might work, but I don't believe that Tapping is bad-ass enough to pull off that kind of my-way-or-the-highway performance. She is too nice and her character is too nice. When Sam tries to be tough, I just cringe because it always comes across as Amanda Tapping trying to play it like Sam is tough.

Maybe AT needs to be more of a nasty person in real life to have it all work for me. (But that would be terrible!) Or maybe Carter needs to have a pretty big failure or two, events that shake her confidence and the trust that others have placed in her, to give her character more depth. As the character stands now, she is practically a Mary Sue.

As for McKay, I don't think he becomes stupid when he's around her. To me, he becomes obnoxious trying to bulk up his psyche by asserting that he's more intelligent than Carter is, and trying to make up for the fact that he sees her as almost unhumanly beautiful and himself as a less-than-perfect specimen. In short, he distracts himself from the science and therefore gets it wrong.

Because of these problems with the characters in the past, I am not looking forward to Carter's heavy presence on SGA.

In terms of scripting problems encountered with so much scientific brainpower on one show...OMG. The worst part of the episode "Bounty" was

Spoiler:
                how the beaming and the holographic technologies saved the day in the end (and in the middle, as well).

There isn't much point to placing characters in danger if

Spoiler:
                devices and gadgets are going to supercede cleverness, drive, determination, strength, compassion, love and other human qualities.

With the prospect of Sam arriving in Atlantis, we will have her, McKay, Zelenka and perhaps others coming up with solutions to everything. When I was growing up, my mother used to say, "Don't worry. The scientists will come up with a cure," whenever I was concerned about something. My thinking about Carter in Atlantis is that there will be some dire situation and then the show will go to a commercial break. After watching 8 minutes of adverts for things I couldn't care less about, BLINK! My mother will be proved correct (again!) and Sam Carter will have something she's invented or wired up that will be much less interesting than anything "human."

Just MHO.

Comment

Originally posted by sherryw View Post
                  My only concern is that it turns into the Carter/McKay show.
                  Well, right now it's the Sheppard/McKay show, and if I had a choice I guess I'd prefer Carter/McKay.
                  Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

i think those two will be great together aswell! and since AT is only in 14 eps hopefully they wont overload it and miss out the other characters, still think it will be good thou with her and Mckay in atlantis
                    sigpic

Comment

Based on the assumed timeline I don't think that's likely. Since Atlantis only has hours left, there'd be no time to construct a new ship. Even if it's days or weeks there'd be no time.

Also, Carter is an expert on Asgard AND Ancient tech.
                      sigpic
                      "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                      ~David Hewlett

Comment

McKay/Zelenka -> brilliant banter, like an old married couple

McKay/Sheppard -> it's funny banter and I can live with it (because I have no other choice)

McKay/Carter -> goes way beyond the annoying, IMHO
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
                          Based on the assumed timeline I don't think that's likely. Since Atlantis only has hours left, there'd be no time to construct a new ship. Even if it's days or weeks there'd be no time.

I wouldn't go as far to saying Carter is an Ancient tech expert. Her experience with Ancient tech has been extremely limited. She is an expert is Merlin's device but that's about it really. Everything else Ancient has gotten short attention, has been forgotten about and the next episode comes and Carter is off doing something else, and not getting that chance to properly study Ancient tech.

So I would have to agree with -Canadian-. All of the Atlantis scientists are very likely to have more skills Ancient with Ancient knowledge than Carter, while Carter is Earth's expert on Asgard tech.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sherryw View Post
                            I have absolutely no problem with Carter coming over to Atlantis. I'm actually looking forward to it. My only concern is that it turns into the Carter/McKay show. Having said that though I will enjoy the occasional banter between the two. Carter is the only one that can put McKay in his place, but I have to say I prefer the banter between McKay and Sheppard. I really think JF and DH play well off eachother.
                            I agree.

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                            I have every problem with her coming over. TPTB seem to feel the need to turn McKay into a bumbling idiot who has no intelligence whenever Carter is around and quite frankly, I had enough of that in The Pegasus Project, I don't need it for an entire season.
                            I am hopeful they will tone down the bumbling idiot thing when she's there regularly the same way they toned down
                            Spoiler:
                            Vala's sexual innuendo (well, mostly) once CB became a regular on SG-1.
                            McKay has had quite a bit of development over the past season. Hopefully he's learned something. If Sam is in command of her own ship, she should have interaction with more people than just Rodney specifically with Sheppard and Weir
                            Spoiler:
                            (or whoever is in charge of Atlantis).
                            sigpic
                            Sig by Luciana
                            My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post

TBH, Carter is far from an expert on Ancient technology. she may have some skill with the Ancient tech found in the MW, but that doesn't make her an expert on it. Carter has come into little contact with Ancient tech compared to Mckay. On the other hnd, Carter has had mroe experience with Asgard tech, but IMO, the Asgard tech she has worked with has been limited and really dosn't amount to her being an expert on it. The only Asgard tech she's worked with has been the time dilation device in Unnatual Selection and the Asgard tech on the 304's. Any other situation with Asgard tech didn't involve her studying or solving something by using it. She may have more knowledge about Asgard tech than any other Earth scientist, but she is far from an expert since she has really only dealt with a handful of Asgard tech.
                              Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                              encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                              3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                              4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                              5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Working...
                              X