This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fic idea

i'm thinking of doing a new SG-1 fic, probably for Fanfiction.net, or wherever else people usually wright FF. Anyways, I was wondering what some people who know a bit more about SG thought of some of my dieas and plan. Normally of course I don't write with a plan, but for ocne I mgiht.

Early draft for C1:

The birds of Planet Sx-1441 cawed above Sg-1 as they slowly made there way through the dense undergrowth back towards the gate. There seemed to be nothing on this planet, just the ruins of an old Ancient outpost and the ruins of a city that had once been home to an Earth like civilisation.

Now they walked back towards the gate one the road that these long-gone people had built. A few shell-shocked houses stood at either side, trees and planets sprouting through ruined roofs. Daniel stooped and went over to one, carefully making his way though the doorway. The door still stood there, hanging from one rusted hinge. Though it’s back was patted with shrapnel the white paint still clung on to the wood, barley peeling.

For an odd reason it reminded Dan of home. He stood in the entrance a moment longer surveying the scene. Through a shattered wall he could see a bed, the front too legs destroyed. The covers still hung there, slowly rotting away and revealing the bodies. Killed while sleeping, Dan thought, never had a chance. He turned away, disgusted and caught a glimpse of another bed, it was smaller and it’s brightly coloured covers designated it that of a child. There was no body inside it though and Dan hoped the kid had escaped.

“You done, nature boy?” Jack called from the road. “What’s so interesting about that house anyway.” Dan tried to ignore him, but thoughts where beginning to tumble through his mind. This house couldn’t have been hit more than a year ago, it wasn’t rotted enough., Yet trees and plants had already begun to colonise it. A great redwood was pushing it’s way through the flooring, having already reached a height which would have taken it hundreds of years to reach on earth.

“I said are you done?” Jack called again and Daniel turned, and nodded, climbing back towards the road.

“I’m done.”

“Good, cause we’ve got only a few minutes until it’s time to go back.” Daniel reached the road and the column carried on marching towards the clearing. Today there where only three of them, Ti’lk having gone to a Jaffa council meeting. Dan took the lead, Sam the middle and Jack the rear.

Daniel considered that strange house more as they walked, it must be the climate, he decided, the plants must grow quicker here. Or maybe they aren’t like the earth plants, maybe there different, they look like out planets but grow quicker. That must be it. Must be.

The road bended a little here and Dan snapped back to reality, it was the perfect place for an ambush, there might still be a war going on here, though they didn’t know it. A thousand enemy soldier might suddenly jump out…

What he didn’t expect was a dark skinned little boy standing in the middle of the road facing them. He was crying and Dan started forwards but then he noticed the gun in the boys hands. It was a big gun. It was the sort of gun that could do a lot of damage,that could give you serious injuries, like being dead.

“Hey.” He started, then stopped as the boy brought the gun up, aiming directly at him. He heard the footsteps behind him stop as Jack and Sam came round the corner. The boy looked fraught at this and the gun wavered a little. Dans hand began to slide down towards his pistol. It was the nightmare situation, he didn’t want to hurt the kid, killing a child was his worst nightmare, but it looked like he had no choice, nor did Jack or Sam. The kid had him at his mercy.

He heard the sharp click behind his a Jack primed his weapon. The boy look more hurried. Maybe Dan could talk him out of shooting. He stepped towards the kid, “Hey, I think there been a mistake here, you don’t want to….”With a great roar the gun fire, the bullet flying just over Dans shoulder, Dan dropped rolled to his left, his hand going to his pistol at exactly the same time as Jack fired.

He fired one shot, aiming low, and the bullet caught the boys shin. The kid cried out in pain and dropped, spinning a he fell. The gun flew out of his hands into the jungle nearby. Sam was already running forward towards the child, her hands going toward her med-pack. Jack meanwhile made his way to Dan, offering a hand.

“You okay?”

“Yeah, thanks for that.” Dan smiled and his superior smiled back, turning towards Sam that was bent over the kid.

“How is he?” He asked, and Same looked up for a second before going back to her work.

“You broke his shin, he’s passed out.”

“But he’s going to be okay?”

“Yes, sir.” Jack began to make his way down the track.

“Then lets get off, common Carter. You take the rear Jackson, I’ll take the Van seeing as you weren’t able to handle it.” Dan and Sam exchanged glances before Carter raised the objection.

“He needs medical attention, sir . We can’t leave him in the jungle like this-he can’t walk, he’ll die.” Jack turned and nodded at his two troops.

“We’ll take him with us, maybe we can find out why he attacked us, Jackson, you carry him, Carter you take the rear. We’ve got,” He checked his watch, “2 minutes before we’re supposed to be home, lets go.”
    -------------------------------
    end chapter. Anyways, I knwo theres some problems- probably using Dan instead of Daniel is one, but I wanted to personalise it. Anyways any ideas would be nice, currently my plan is for him to be taken back to the SGC for Chapter two, and we can discover a bit mroe about him later on.

The other problems are probably the spelling of Ti'lk (Wrong I know) and Jacks chararter.

Immediate thought - get yourself a spellchecker and a beta-reader, in that order.

Second thought - I don't think I've ever heard Daniel referred to as "Dan" in the show? And Ti'lk? If you can't be bothered to try and get the character names right then I suggest you are not ready to be publishing your writing in a public arena and asking for feedback. You've even mentioned in your post that you know it's spelt wrong and yet you can't be bothered to go back and amend it? That just shows an utter lack of care and attention to your writing and, as a reader, is hugely off-putting.

Third thought (related to part two of the first thought) - your grammar needs a fair bit of work and your general overall style and technique is not great. There's a lack of real description and scene-setting, there's little to no build up, it feels like you're rushing to get to the action and the good bits. Your phrasing is stilted and the writing just doesn't flow. A good beta-reader might be able to help you with this.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
      Immediate thought - get yourself a spellchecker and a beta-reader, in that order.

Second thought - I don't think I've ever heard Daniel referred to as "Dan" in the show?
      it's an abreviation adn easly corrected. I think O'Neill refers to him as Dan somethimes though, I'm no certain, I'm not an avid watcher of SGC. Its easly corrected anyhow, adn this is a very early draft.
      And Ti'lk? If you can't be bothered to try and get the character names right then I suggest you are not ready to be publishing your writing in a public arena and asking for feedback. You've even mentioned in your post that you know it's spelt wrong and yet you can't be bothered to go back and amend it? That just shows an utter lack of care and attention to your writing and, as a reader, is hugely off-putting.
      As I saw its an early draft, adn oddly enough the computer dosn't have a spell checker with his name in it. Before I did properly publish it I would, of course, correct this. I tried to spell it phonetically, as its prenounced in the show, and evidently I've failed.
      Third thought (related to part two of the first thought) - your grammar needs a fair bit of work and your general overall style and technique is not great. There's a lack of real description and scene-setting, there's little to no build up,
      This seems more a stylistic issue, I prefer to let the imagination go rarther than haev endless details. I can write in a more detailed stye, but I find that its often boring, and stops you seeing your own vision. A faster paced story keeps the readers itnrest better and makes it simpler tor ead. With a francise like SG-1 this is useful, especally for a story of this style. If I was writing for a diffrent francise, i would, of course, write diffrently.

it feels like you're rushing to get to the action and the good bits. Your phrasing is stilted and the writing just doesn't flow. A good beta-reader might be able to help you with this.
      Funny, first time I've encountered this critism, most of the time the problems arn't to do with flow but mroe to do with spelling (Dislexia unfortuntly) and other matters. I've found the SG francise quite difficult to write, compare it too my othr peices on fan fiction adn you might see that. I've tried to adopt a diffrent style to my normal, more steady style and evidently I need to do mroe work on it.

As I say it's an early draft and evidently theres a lot of things I need to work on. This sort of critism is extreamly useful, so I'd thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by WharfedaleTiger View Post
        As I saw its an early draft, adn oddly enough the computer dosn't have a spell checker with his name in it. Before I did properly publish it I would, of course, correct this. I tried to spell it phonetically, as its prenounced in the show, and evidently I've failed.
        But you are effectively publishing this story - you're putting it out on the internet for peope to read. If this is such a rough draft of your story that you haven't taken the time to check the spelling and the character names then I would suggest again that it is not ready for such public consumption. Seriously, if you want to put your work out there in a public arena for other people to read - and to judge - then you need to at least try and make it as good as it can be. The correct spelling of Teal'c's name would have taken you roughly 60 seconds to find on this very website.

This seems more a stylistic issue, I prefer to let the imagination go rarther than haev endless details. I can write in a more detailed stye, but I find that its often boring, and stops you seeing your own vision. A faster paced story keeps the readers itnrest better and makes it simpler tor ead. With a francise like SG-1 this is useful, especally for a story of this style. If I was writing for a diffrent francise, i would, of course, write diffrently.
        When I say style I don't mean your genre of writing, as in the "style" of the story... I meant the actual level of, I guess I would say, writing ability evidenced by your writing. The way you have written this story does not flow well, it does not make full use of the language.. it seems very simplistic, not far removed from a "He said and then she said" style of writing. It suggests to me that you need more practice. Writing well is something that comes with time and with practice and whereas I guess the instant access of the internet these day means that many people post and publish work as soon as it pops into their head, without much thought for quality, I am still of the opinion that if you want to publish something for public consumption then it should be of a decent standard that the public who read it will appreciate and enjoy. I'm not by any means saying stop writing, I'm merely suggesting that your writing needs more work before it's ready to be posted for public consumption.

Funny, first time I've encountered this critism, most of the time the problems arn't to do with flow but mroe to do with spelling (Dislexia unfortuntly) and other matters. I've found the SG francise quite difficult to write, compare it too my othr peices on fan fiction adn you might see that. I've tried to adopt a diffrent style to my normal, more steady style and evidently I need to do mroe work on it.

As I say it's an early draft and evidently theres a lot of things I need to work on. This sort of critism is extreamly useful, so I'd thank you.
        The issues I mentioned were technical ones to do with story structure and pacing. You also have a lot of technical issues to do with sentence structure etc, some of which is just plain wrong, others of which are just not "fluent", not the kind of sentence structure that is commonly accepted usage - this is part of what it making your story read as stilted and clunky.

Examples:

"where beginning to tumble through his mind" - aside from the where/were issue, this phrase just doesn't work. It's just clunky. Have you ever heard anyone say "thoughts began to tumble through my mind" or "thoughts were tumbling through my mind"? It's just not a phraseology people actually use.

"It was the sort of gun that could do a lot of damage, that could give you serious injuries, like being dead" - again, just not the way people talk or think. Aside from being grammatically incorrect, people don't say, "could give you serious injuries, like being dead". They might say, "could give you serious injuries, or even kill you" or "could give you serious, maybe fatal, injuries" or "could result in serious injuries, maybe even death". Do you see the difference?

If you have dyslexia then you really must find yourself a good beta reader if you want to post fics for public consumption. I admire you for wanting and trying to write, despite your dyslexia, but really there is a huge amount of mistakes in this one short section alone - mistakes which a beta reader could help tidy up for you. The way this fic is currently written, it would put me off from reading any more of it and, I have to say, probably anything else written by the author. It just needs too much work right now.. it's not enjoyable to read.
        sigpic

Comment

was the sort of gun that could do a lot of damage,that could give you serious injuries, like being dead.

Sorry, but this sentence is so funny I couldn't help it. And I mean "funny" as in so badly written that you can't help but laugh.

Alipeeps is largely right in his/her criticism. The spelling and grammar in this bit are so bad it is simply difficult to read through it. Don't take offense or anything, I am myself not a native English speaker, and my first English writings suffered from much the same problem. Just find someone who is good with the English grammar/spelling thing to proof read your story for you before you post it. It's a matter of basic respect for the readers, y'know.

This seems more a stylistic issue, I prefer to let the imagination go rarther than haev endless details. I can write in a more detailed stye, but I find that its often boring, and stops you seeing your own vision. A faster paced story keeps the readers itnrest better and makes it simpler tor ead.
          Details are to a story what flesh is to bones. With them, the story looks good, without them it is but a lifeless skeleton. You want fast-paced action- that's great, but then you need to be able to give BOTH the details AND the action.

You certainly NEED much more details in the opening. "There seemed to be nothing on this planet" is not a description, but an attempt to run away from one. Don't tell us that there's nothing. SHOW us.
          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

One suggestion, if you are asking for help and critique of your work it might be better to mention at the beginning that you are dyslexic. It might be an idea to meantion it in a published work as well, it explains a lot and will stop people jumping to conclusions when and if mistakes are found. I read stuff written by a dyslexic writer in another area of Stargate fandom and as I know she is I don't send her an email saying "improve spelling ect....". But the others are right. Even if this is a draft you should be able to spell the characters names properly and why on earth you'd spell a name phonetically I have no idea?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mousie View Post
              One suggestion, if you are asking for help and critique of your work it might be better to mention at the beginning that you are dyslexic. It might be an idea to meantion it in a published work as well, it explains a lot and will stop people jumping to conclusions when and if mistakes are found. I read stuff written by a dyslexic writer in another area of Stargate fandom and as I know she is I don't send her an email saying "improve spelling ect....". But the others are right. Even if this is a draft you should be able to spell the characters names properly and why on earth you'd spell a name phonetically I have no idea?
              Dyslexia can only be diagnosed by someone like neurologist or an educational psychologist. So unless you are personally qualified in these areas & have seen the patient in person, then I find it rude to be classing someone as being dyslexic. The person may not be the best speller, or have the best grammar around, that doesn't make them dyslexic though. I have a family member who is a carpenter, works with numbers, guides & measurements all day. Has good handwriting ability, is good at reading, maths etc. Yet couldn't spell to save his life!

Lastly, in references to improving spelling! You spelt 'mention' as 'meantion' which is incorrect. Everybody makes mistakes, just some more than others!

Search through GW, in almost every thread that has a few posts, you'll see lots of users with spelling mistakes in their posts. A lot are even in the thread title itself. Most of the ones making the mistakes are younger members, which I probably think the OP is. So if you even suspected that anyone was suffering from a learning disability, then it's polite to PM them first to check that is the case, as well as if they would mind it being posted up in public. Rather than post up unfounded accusations for all to see.

Comment

Originally posted by J_B View Post
                Dyslexia can only be diagnosed by someone like neurologist or an educational psychologist. So unless you are personally qualified in these areas & have seen the patient in person, then I find it rude to be classing someone as being dyslexic. The person may not be the best speller, or have the best grammar around, that doesn't make them dyslexic though. I have a family member who is a carpenter, works with numbers, guides & measurements all day. Has good handwriting ability, is good at reading, maths etc. Yet couldn't spell to save his life!

Lastly, in references to improving spelling! You spelt 'mention' as 'meantion' which is incorrect. Everybody makes mistakes, just some more than others!

Search through GW, in almost every thread that has a few posts, you'll see lots of users with spelling mistakes in their posts. A lot are even in the thread title itself. Most of the ones making the mistakes are younger members, which I probably think the OP is. So if you even suspected that anyone was suffering from a learning disability, then it's polite to PM them first to check that is the case, as well as if they would mind it being posted up in public. Rather than post up unfounded accusations for all to see.
                The writer said they were dyslexic in their second post I believe, Mousie wasn't trying to diagnose anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by JackandSamAddict View Post
                  The writer said they were dyslexic in their second post I believe, Mousie wasn't trying to diagnose anyone.
                  What she said! The writer themselves claimed to be dyslexic... and, to be fair, the amount of spelling and grammar mistakes in the story amounts to a lot more than the odd typo.

I suggest you yourself take the time to read things through thoroughly before posting up "unfounded accusations for all to see"...
                  sigpic

Comment

Mousie is waiting for an apology now......and maybe some chocolates.
                    sigpic

Comment

What she said!
                      All your base are belong to us !!

Never mind that ^_^

Anyway, good start, and beta would really help you improve the story ^_^ In terms of grammar, for sure.
                      (well this is better than my faraway for sure)

Comment

Working...
                      X