X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate: Continuum to Film Scenes in the Arctic

Stargate: Continuum to Film Scenes in the Arctic
    Source: MGM March 14, 2007

MGM is teaming with the U.S. Navy to capture a series of bone chilling adventure scenes for the studio's upcoming "Stargate SG-1" direct-to-video, "Stargate: Continuum." Cast members, including Ben Browder ("Stargate SG1's" Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell) and Amanda Tapping (Lt. Col. Samantha Carter) will travel to the sub-zero climate of the Arctic to shoot at the Navy's Applied Physics Laboratory Ice Station (APLIS) for the week of March 23 through 29. Martin Wood, Director of over 70 "Stargate SG-1" and "Stargate Atlantis" episodes, is confirmed to direct "Stargate: Continuum."

"Stargate: Continuum," which is being co-financed by MGM and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, will shoot a variety of scenes on location in the Arctic ice, located approximately 200 nautical miles north of Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. In addition to the frigid outdoor environments, the filming will also involve U.S. Navy submarine USS Alexandria (SSN-757). Among the most visually stunning and dramatic scenes to be filmed at the location involves the submarine as it bursts through the ice and into the cold Arctic air with temperatures hovering around 50 degrees below zero.

Here's the rest of the article:
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=19350

MGM is teaming with the U.S. Navy to capture a series of bone chilling adventure scenes for the studio's upcoming "Stargate SG-1" direct-to-video, "Stargate: Continuum." Cast members, including Ben Browder ("Stargate SG1's" Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell) and Amanda Tapping (Lt. Col. Samantha Carter) will travel to the sub-zero climate of the Arctic to shoot at the Navy's Applied Physics Laboratory Ice Station (APLIS) for the week of March 23 through 29. Martin Wood, Director of over 70 "Stargate SG-1" and "Stargate Atlantis" episodes, is confirmed to direct "Stargate: Continuum."

"Stargate: Continuum," which is being co-financed by MGM and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, will shoot a variety of scenes on location in the Arctic ice, located approximately 200 nautical miles north of Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. In addition to the frigid outdoor environments, the filming will also involve U.S. Navy submarine USS Alexandria (SSN-757). Among the most visually stunning and dramatic scenes to be filmed at the location involves the submarine as it bursts through the ice and into the cold Arctic air with temperatures hovering around 50 degrees below zero.

In making the announcement, Charles Cohen, Senior Executive Vice President Finance and Corporate Development, MGM said: "We are excited to be working with the U.S. Navy on filming these epic scenes in the arduous conditions of the arctic. 'SG-1' fans will certainly enjoy these action packed sequences as the 'Stargate' franchise has a rich history of unique and compelling action adventures."

Lt. Erik Reynolds, the Department of Defense project officer assigned to the movie added: "We look forward to hosting MGM and the 'Stargate' team at APLIS, and showcasing our sailors and the United States Submarine Force's capabilities in the Arctic Ocean.

"With the extreme environmental conditions at the camp, and factors such as shooting on a moving sheet of ice and the occasional polar bear, it certainly will be a challenge, but one that our sailors and the 'SG-1' crew look forward to taking on."

In January of this year, MGM gave the green light to two (2) direct-to-video movies based on "Stargate SG-1," the longest-running science-fiction series in U.S. TV history. The first movie, "Stargate: The Arc of Truth," which is also being co-financed by MGM and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, begins production on April 15. The second movie, "Stargate: Continuum" which will feature the epic ice camp scenes, will resume filming on May 22. Written and produced by Brad Wright and Robert Cooper, the new movies will include the following "Stargate SG-1" cast members: Ben Browder, Amanda Tapping, Chris Judge, Claudia Black, with Beau Bridges and Michael Shanks.

The APLIS is operated by the University of Washington and was formed in 1943 at the request of the U.S. Navy to bring university resources to bear on urgent WWII defense problems. From a wartime beginning focused on effective torpedo exploders, APL-UW initiated acoustic studies and oceanographic research programs to understand how variations in the ocean environment affected the performance of Navy systems.

In "Continuum," while "SG-1" attends the execution of Ba'al, the last of the goa'uld system lords, Teal'c and Vala inexplicably disappear into thin air. Carter, Daniel and Mitchell race back to a world where history has been changed: the Stargate program has been erased from the timeline. As they try to convince the authorities of what's happened, a fleet of goa'uld motherships arrives in orbit, led by Ba'al, his queen, Katesh (Vala) and his first prime, Teal'c. SG-1 must find the Stargate and set things right before the world is enslaved by the goa'uld.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=19350

Comment

Sounds good! Why would they be in the Arctic I wonder, when the Stargate was found in Antarctica? Unless it was just easier to shoot the scenes in the Arctic, as it doesn't actually say the scenes are set in the Arctic.

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
        Sounds good! Why would they be in the Arctic I wonder, when the Stargate was found in Antarctica? Unless it was just easier to shoot the scenes in the Arctic, as it doesn't actually say the scenes are set in the Arctic.
        Because the Arctic is much closer than Antartica, and hey the freezing cold temps and the ice can pass for Antarctica. (Just a guess on my part though)

I just hope they remember to pack their long johns
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

"Stargate: Continuum," which is being co-financed by MGM and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
          I thought Fox only distributed MGM's DVDs, since when did they finance the show/movies.
          sigpic

Comment

I will be pissed if this means they are going to stop baal with the outpost like they did with anubis
            sigpic

Comment

The Arctic, tres cool....I would hazzard a guess that they're filiming in the Arctic cause it looks like Anarctica...either way, it sounds like the effects are going to be amazing!
              sigpic
              Being a shipper, is the only way to be.
              |My Fanfics|My Fanart|My Orig. Stories|

Comment

Very cool! Thanks for the link!

I got a strange flashback to the huge scenes in TXF: FtF. The fact that Twentieth Century Fox is financing it didn't help.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                  TXF: FtF
                  And what does that stand for?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                    Very cool! Thanks for the link!

I got a strange flashback to the huge scenes in TXF: FtF. .
                    Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos View Post
                    The X-Files: (I think the movie title was Fight the Future, or something like that)
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

How cool is this??
                      Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos View Post
                        Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                        The X-Files: (I think the movie title was Fight the Future, or something like that)
                        Whoops! Yeah. There were several very intense scenes in Antarctica at the end of The X-Files movie.

It's good to see that the films really do have a generous budget for things like this.

Comment

Yup.

Good ol' second Stargate.

Saving alternate versions of SG-1 since 2005.

Comment

USS Alexandria on wikipedia with photo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Ale..._%28SSN-757%29

As for the news story:

Since they'll be shooting some scenes for Continuum soon, this means that the script should be mostly finished by now (or TPTB have at least a very good idea for most of the plot and scenes).

I guess the Arctic will possibly be the "set" for Antarctica, although I can't image how that will play out in the plot. I'm very happy right now.
                            No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
                            (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
                              because most people wouldn't know the difference. The Arctic is warming up, is more hospitable for filming (although Greenland usually subs for either) while the Antarctic also has a lot more restrictions on its use (seriously).

Oh, the real press release is at

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4546201&EDATE=
                              Last edited by prion; 14 March 2007, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X