Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Ori ship power source (Possible spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ori ship power source (Possible spoilers)

So what does everyone think it was? I and a few others, initially (Counterstrike) thought that it was like the Zero point energy thing without the ZPM project from "Trinity" and "McKay and Mrs Miller" but it seems it's some sort of reactor, evidenced by the
    Spoiler:
    Odyssey destroying an Ori ship with Asgard weapons
    ! Meaning their shields can be worn down as well. Otherwise, it would be unbeatable even with the most powerful weapons around.

Vala,

Did the
    Spoiler:
    Odyssey really destroy an Ori ship with Asgard weapons?
    I find it hard to believe.
    sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
      Infact, we destroyed TWO Ori ships with Asgard beam weapons. Along with our new shields, zpm, and a Asgard power core.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeroq View Post
        Spoiler:
        Infact, we destroyed TWO Ori ships with Asgard beam weapons. Along with our new shields, zpm, and a Asgard power core.
        Lame!
        sigpic

Comment

And people were worried about Drones being a lame supper weapon.

Comment

I just finished watching Unending, and I take back my previous comment -
            Spoiler:
            The Odyssey tearing through those Ori ships was so totally cool! And the poor Asgard, I felt so sorry for them : (
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FoxyEX View Post
              I just finished watching Unending, and I take back my previous comment -
              Spoiler:
              The Odyssey tearing through those Ori ships was so totally cool! And the poor Asgard, I felt so sorry for them : (
              Yeah.
              Spoiler:
              I just hope that maybe Ancients ascended them, cause they couldn't do it naturally.
              Spoiler:
              Spoiler:
              A tribute to the Asgard, a great race, great allies and our best friends!
              The Tau'ri will not forget about you.

Your legacy is safe with use.

Comment

Um, I think that shields work differently than we assume. The Odyssey lost most of its shields many times in the episode, but didn't drain the ZPM.
                It seems that the shields were being overwhelmed by the Ori weapons on a far more massive scale than just depleting the power source.
                In fact the ship took a lot of damage with the shield still up!

So I think that the Asgard weapons were crude designs (relatively speaking) based on Ancient tech, and that this allowed them to do a similar thing to the Ori shields: Overwhelm them and collapse them without draining its energy supply.

Ancient City shields seem to be direct link, or very low entropy/delay buffer based and capable of far more efficient use of power and field generations allowing the shield to remain standing until the energy source is depleted rather than until the buffer/generators can't sustain the bubble.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxyEX View Post
                  Did the
                  Spoiler:
                  Odyssey really destroy an Ori ship with Asgard weapons?
                  I find it hard to believe.
                  wasn't the Odyssey destroyed trying to deafeat the ori in episode 920 camelot ?

Comment

Originally posted by mouse View Post
                    wasn't the Odyssey destroyed trying to deafeat the ori in episode 920 camelot ?
                    No that was Koralev
                    C. Edmund

Comment

Originally posted by Atlanis View Post
                      No that was Koralev
                      No that was the Korolev.
                      Spoiler:
                      Spoiler:
                      A tribute to the Asgard, a great race, great allies and our best friends!
                      The Tau'ri will not forget about you.

Your legacy is safe with use.

Comment

The Prometheous was destroyed by an Ori satalite in 'Ethon' Stargate SG-1 season 9

The Korolev was destroyed by an Ori Battlecruiser in 'Camalot' Stargate SG-1 season 9

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post
                          So what does everyone think it was? I and a few others, initially (Counterstrike) thought that it was like the Zero point energy thing without the ZPM project from "Trinity" and "McKay and Mrs Miller" but it seems it's some sort of reactor, evidenced by the
                          Spoiler:
                          Odyssey destroying an Ori ship with Asgard weapons
                          ! Meaning their shields can be worn down as well. Otherwise, it would be unbeatable even with the most powerful weapons around.

Vala,
                          To me it's more along the lines of 'Project Arcturus' in 'Trinity'. It looks the exact same except a different colour.

It is very strong because if you watch in 'Camelot' their shields don't even get scratched. While the Ha'tak that slams into it doesn't even register in the slightest either.

However even if it is such an uber power source, that doesn't stop someone from bypassing the shield. In 'Camelot', the 304 detects an anomoly in the Ori shields, which they were about to beam a nuke through before it was destroyed. There was an Asgard ship there, it may have been destroyed, it may not have & managed to escape despite being damaged. Kvasir surived the attack definitely, therefore the data that was recovered from Odyssey, Asgard ship & Kvasir were probably taken back by the Asgard & worked on. Which took them a year & culminated in the new phazer weapons being developed.

These hits take advantage of a flaw in the shields of the Ori ship, meaning it bypasses the immense power behind the shields. Therefore it wouldn't matter how uber a power source they have if the weapons target the shield defect directly.

However the weapon might not be anywhere near effective against Asuran shields or whatever because they'll be different & probably won't have the same frequency or anomolies that Ori shields do.

Comment

Originally posted by J_B View Post
                            To me it's more along the lines of 'Project Arcturus' in 'Trinity'. It looks the exact same except a different colour.

It is very strong because if you watch in 'Camelot' their shields don't even get scratched. While the Ha'tak that slams into it doesn't even register in the slightest either.

However even if it is such an uber power source, that doesn't stop someone from bypassing the shield. In 'Camelot', the 304 detects an anomoly in the Ori shields, which they were about to beam a nuke through before it was destroyed. There was an Asgard ship there, it may have been destroyed, it may not have & managed to escape despite being damaged. Kvasir surived the attack definitely, therefore the data that was recovered from Odyssey, Asgard ship & Kvasir were probably taken back by the Asgard & worked on. Which took them a year & culminated in the new phazer weapons being developed.

These hits take advantage of a flaw in the shields of the Ori ship, meaning it bypasses the immense power behind the shields. Therefore it wouldn't matter how uber a power source they have if the weapons target the shield defect directly.

However the weapon might not be anywhere near effective against Asuran shields or whatever because they'll be different & probably won't have the same frequency or anomolies that Ori shields do.
                            that post is full of evidenceless speculation, the Ori are ascended i doubt their shields would have such a flaw that could be exploited...the flucuation only occurs when the main weapon fires...

i think we should just accept the Ori shields and powersource aren't as powerful as we all thought
                            Last edited by Buba uognarf; 24 March 2007, 09:15 AM.
                            Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
                              that post is full of evidenceless speculation, the Ori are ascended i doubt their shields would have such a flaw that could be exploited...the flucuation only occurs when the main weapon fires...

i think we should just accept the Ori shields and powersource aren't as powerful as we all thought
                              WEAPONS OFFICER
                              Sir, sensors are indicating a slight energy fluctuation in their shields, coinciding with their own weapons fire!
                              CHEKOV
                              Beam a neutron bomb!
                              Is that not an anomoly in their shields....Yes or No!

If 304's can detect it & thoyught they could bypass it, then the Asgard certainly would have a much better chance of creating something that could get around them!

It's not always power that's the route of a ship's problems.

In Atlantis, a single ZPM took the weapons fire from 10 Hives along with all the cruisers accompanying them.

Yet in 'The Return' we discovered that the Trea/Tria which had a ZPM installed was able to be damaged by Wraith cruisers.

Fact is if it were just about power, then why didn't the Asgard ship in 'Camelot' combined with the whole fleet of Ha'taks for backup, not even get a spark out of a single Ori ship.

Obviously this weapon is tailored to get around the Ori ships to allow it to penetrate the hull.

Comment

Working...
                              X