This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so why won't scifi let us have a season 11

This isn't something just brought on by the last ever ep its something that has been bugging me for a while

as far as i am aware from reading reports sci fi is the only network with the rights to make a season 11 and are not interested in doing so. But why hold onto the rights then? why don't they let someone else make the season 11, surely there not gaining anything just sitting on them, maybe sci fi plan to see how the movies do and if fan demand is high consider resurecting the show with a season 11 in a couple of years time, although by then i worry the cast will have all gone their seperate ways

can anyone shed any light on this for me

thanks

In my view I share the same opinion If they opened up the rights then maybe another big network such as the UK's SKY Digital would proably buy a season sky is a major investor in SG1 common think about it SKY won the rights to show Season 10 before the American Sci-Fi I think their sci-fi is now going to continue with the progress now that ours is done.
    What company devotes to buying a contract to show the first runs of S10 I'm sure if Sci-Fi Released the licence maybe sky might go head with it. Just wait Sci-Fi and MGM Think fans can do without SG1 S11 well just wait when they see a dip in Sci-Fi audience share and also a dip in revenue as DVD sales arent as big money spinners as broadcasting on TV, Im sure they will re-think their position.

Comment

There is a fairly consistant belief that Scifi was essentially just out to ruin the show it closer to episode 200. It mostly came down to save money and having the longest the running consecutive scifi show

As with any show, it did cost more to produce a 10 year old show does get very expensive to produce as do the salaries. It didn't really help that the Canadian dollar either up in value or the US dollar dropped in value because the show was also costing more than usual.

The fact Scifi announced the show was cancelled after the sixth episode of season 10 (which was episode and the record breaker) while claim they had the longest running consecutive scifi show just seemed to make people think that was the reason. Allowing a season 11 to be produced on another network would have lost them their little record.

Scifi just seemed to go from bad idea to bad idea when it came to the shows lineup and viewing. They were changing the day it was aired, changed what other shows aired with it, weren't advertising it and it did just seem like they were sabotaging it because they cancelled SG1 for low ratings after just 6 episodes rather than just waiting letting the show air, see it's ratings and then decide. Even SGA and BSG weren't doing any better but they were kept.

In the end, it did just seem like they wanted to having the longest running consecutive scifi show.

sigpic

Comment

They won't let anyone else have the rights to it because they're a bunch of idiots. Plain and simple.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

oh dear so the problem is as i feared

blatent stubborness

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
            They won't let anyone else have the rights to it because they're a bunch of idiots. Plain and simple.
            Well said. Couldn't say it any better my friend.
            You have already taken the first steps towards becoming.....The Fifth Race.

Comment

They should kill of atlantis at the end of s04 move it back to Earth, find another network and continue s11 of sg1

McKay: Crap.
              Hermiod: What did you do?
              McKay: I just ran it through a translation program. It's Wraith.
              Hermiod: Crap, indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by crompton20 View Post
                oh dear so the problem is as i feared

blatent stubborness
                Pretty much.
                sigpic
                "...phu...ah..."

Comment

They cancelled it because it cost more to make than they wanted to pay, they wouldn't let any other network take it on because they're petty - this is the only thing that annoyed me about the cancelation.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                    They cancelled it because it cost more to make than they wanted to pay, they wouldn't let any other network take it on because they're petty - this is the only thing that annoyed me about the cancelation.
                    Lot's of things annoyed me about the cancellation.
                    sigpic
                    "...phu...ah..."

Comment

SciFi (well, their parent corporation) is a business. They have costs, and they have the requirement to make a profit.

Reality is, even without producing a season 11, the rights that SciFi had bought have value. If some other network really wanted them the could by them!

It is all about return on investment. SciFi apparently doesn't feel that the ever growing costs of SG-1 are justified by what revenues they can get from advertising during the show.

Comment

Originally posted by freetoken View Post
                        SciFi (well, their parent corporation) is a business. They have costs, and they have the requirement to make a profit.

Reality is, even without producing a season 11, the rights that SciFi had bought have value. If some other network really wanted them the could by them!

It is all about return on investment. SciFi apparently doesn't feel that the ever growing costs of SG-1 are justified by what revenues they can get from advertising during the show.
                        Not really. This was handled poorly from the getgo. MGM wanted it to continue and scifi refused to do it at MGMs price and pretty much refused to negotiate. They refuse to let another network buy the rights, as MGM already tried that route. Scifi broke the news to TPTB after the 200 party and to fans right after 200 aired. Scifi could have alloyed some breathing room but didnt. That is why MGM has gone the movie route (scifi can't stop that) and will do more than 2 if they sell well.
                        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

i am so pissed about sg1 being cancelled and after just watching unending i cant bare to see sg1 die i hope the idea of a series of movies works or evolves into something better like a season 11 for download

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                            Not really. This was handled poorly from the getgo. MGM wanted it to continue and scifi refused to do it at MGMs price and pretty much refused to negotiate. They refuse to let another network buy the rights, as MGM already tried that route. Scifi broke the news to TPTB after the 200 party and to fans right after 200 aired. Scifi could have alloyed some breathing room but didnt. That is why MGM has gone the movie route (scifi can't stop that) and will do more than 2 if they sell well.
                            Er, they broke the news before or AT the party, from what I've read in the trades. It's all a matter of cost. SG1 was a costly show, ratings were down, hence, advertising revenue was going down. SG1 made the longest running blah blah record, and that's all Skiffy wanted at that point, so they cut their losses, kept SGA (where they have more financial control) and make new shows which they hope will last long.

Ther'es no season 11 anywhere unless Skiffy okays it, or unless they film in Romania

Comment

ProTip: When your costly show needs budget cuts, shoot the writers and bring in fresh people with new ideas.

Comment

Working...
                              X