This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumpers

As the Jumper found in 'It's good to be king', or whatever that episode was called, could take out a Hatak with just two drones, what's the betting that a few of them could take out a Wraith hiveship.
    Have say 3 of them cloaked, have them target weapons batteries and hyperdrive, fire, then recloak and move.
    One PJ could probably take out a Daedalus class ship.
    I know it is too easy for the purpose of the show, and if they did do that then they would have to find a way for all jumpers to be destroyed, but I'm intrigued.
    "I don't know what Irony means but I use it alot, Ironic isn't it"

"Sure there have been deaths and injuries in boxing, but none of them serious"

Bloke:Fat Penguin
    Woman:What
    Bloke:I just wanted to say something that would break the ice.

Originally posted by Salas1 View Post
    As the Jumper found in 'It's good to be king', or whatever that episode was called, could take out a Hatak with just two drones, what's the betting that a few of them could take out a Wraith hiveship.
    Have say 3 of them cloaked, have them target weapons batteries and hyperdrive, fire, then recloak and move.
    One PJ could probably take out a Daedalus class ship.
    I know it is too easy for the purpose of the show, and if they did do that then they would have to find a way for all jumpers to be destroyed, but I'm intrigued.
    A single PJ could easly take out a BC-304 so long as the drones were to hit crytical systems. Due to the Hive's size and structural integrity I doubt a few PJ's could destroy one but it is likely they could dissable one for some time.

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

yeah Retrofit the Oddessy to carry as many PJ's as possible and when we are done taking care of the Ori send it to the Pegasus Galaxy. A sneak attack on key systems with the PJ's then an all out assault on a hive, the'd never see it coming.

Comment

Originally posted by .jolinar. View Post
        A single PJ could easly take out a BC-304 so long as the drones were to hit crytical systems. Due to the Hive's size and structural integrity I doubt a few PJ's could destroy one but it is likely they could dissable one for some time.
        Crytical systems or Bridge as long as shields or down. I’m still not convinced that Drones pass shields.
        Another thing is that Ha’tak that was destroyed by the PJ was totally unprepared for anything and the Shields were probably down. I also remember the Battle in ‘The Lost City Pt II’ and remember Anubis men saying that shields are worthless against the Drones so maybe Drones pass thought Goa’uld shields?

Originally posted by Anonmatel View Post
        yeah Retrofit the Oddessy to carry as many PJ's as possible and when we are done taking care of the Ori send it to the Pegasus Galaxy. A sneak attack on key systems with the PJ's then an all out assault on a hive, the'd never see it coming.
        As far as I know, we don't need to retrofit a Daedalus Class; they can already hold a few PJ's.
        As for taking Puddle Jumper's to the Milky Way for an assault on the Ori, we don't even know if Drones will pass the shields of Ori Ships. Anyway why take PJ’s when you could take all of Atlantis. We have 3 ZPM’s.
        Also if PJ's is all it will take to win the war with the Wraith, the Accients would have won long time ago

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Comment

Drones only pass through weak shields like Goa'uld shields. Not through Ancient or Asgard shields, the latter hasn't been shown but if we are going by what's said on the show, they probably are drone proof as well. Although, hit the shield enough times the drones will pass through them.

Vala,

Comment

You really can't compare a Ha'Tak to a Hive ship. Its like comparing a midget to the Jolly Green Giant. Well, maybe not that big a difference, but you get the idea.

By the way, in "Its good to be king" they fired only one drone at the Ha'Tak. They were specifically aiming for the power core as well. If you had someone who could effectively aim the drones, then you could probably take out ships with minimal drone useage, but it appears they were designed to swarm and destroy, not be accurate.

They can pass through sheilds, Anubis had near-ancient level shielding and they passed through.

Spoiler:
            Apparently in the 2nd half of S3 of SGA we see that drones DO NOT pass through Ancient shields. Perhaps a built in safety?

To take out a Hive, I think you would have to swarm the thing with drones, hitting mulitple systems all at once. Remember its a living ship, so its command functions can be re-routed through numerous "nerves". For you to destroy one with one, or two, hits you would have to know exactly down to the inch where the heart is. Right now we don't, at least they haven't brought it up yet.

Comment

Now that we have the schematics for the hives though surely Sheppard could cloak a jumper fly in close and hit the power core with a few drones.

Comment

The Puddle Jumper in 'It's Good To Be King' fired TWO drones at the Hat'tak. They didn't accually aim for key systems as that was stated in the show moments after impact.
                Because of the Drone's AI and the Puddle Jumper's systems the drones were directed towards key systems

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

Originally posted by .jolinar. View Post
                  The Puddle Jumper in 'It's Good To Be King' fired TWO drones at the Hat'tak. They didn't accually aim for key systems as that was stated in the show moments after impact.
                  Because of the Drone's AI and the Puddle Jumper's systems the drones were directed towards key systems
                  The drones dont have AI. They are controlled by the mind of the user.

Best Stargate quote:
                  Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                  Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother View Post
                    The drones dont have AI. They are controlled by the mind of the user.
                    Drones launched via a control chair are controlled by the mind of the user. Puddle Jumper drones are launched in a fire-and-forget manner which seek targets on their own, so they do have some form of artificial intelligence.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FoxyEX View Post
                      Drones launched via a control chair are controlled by the mind of the user. Puddle Jumper drones are launched in a fire-and-forget manner which seek targets on their own, so they do have some form of artificial intelligence.
                      This is not stated anywhere about the drones. The pilot targets the target with his mind and then fires the drone with his mind. Then the pilot can destroy more targets once the drone has fired. By saying they're like fire and forget and posess some form of artificial intelligence is like saying the fire and forget missiles on an F-22 have artificial intelligence. Its not AI, its computer programming.

Best Stargate quote:
                      Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                      Green is your friend.

Comment

IMO, If this is the case, then how would they be able to replace the drones on the PJs once they are used. Because that would mean that there would be two different types of drones. One for PJ, and one for the chair. (Not trying to be rude, just trying to make a statement.)

Some of the big differences between the Ha'Taks and the Hive Ships are shields, organic tech, and the size. I believe Hive ships are much more massive than Ha'Taks. Now, I am not sure of the scale, but I would imagine that the Hive would be much bigger. And the Hive ships have gone up against Ancient tech, drones especially, so it would take more than three to destroy it. The Goa'uld have dealt with Ancient tech, but not drones, so I do not think they have had to deal with them at all. Also, after the drones were shot by O'Neill, they hit the hanger bays creating secondary explosions.

: Green is Good.
                        sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother View Post
                          This is not stated anywhere about the drones.
                          It has been stated, actually. In Rising, the Drone which Carson inadvertently activated went rogue and could 'seek a target on it's own'. Again, they must have some form of artificial intelligence in order to do that. Proves that Drones can be launched in a fire-and-forget manner from control chairs, too.
                          The pilot targets the target with his mind and then fires the drone with his mind. Then the pilot can destroy more targets once the drone has fired.
                          While were on the subject of drone armed ships, please explain who was controlling the launched Drones from the Orion in No Man's Land? Zelenka didn't use his mind. The Drones operated in a launch-and-forget mode once they were fired and immediately targetted the Hive ship. Proves my point.
                          By saying they're like fire and forget and posess some form of artificial intelligence is like saying the fire and forget missiles on an F-22 have artificial intelligence. Its not AI, its computer programming.
                          Yeah, let's compare a hyper-advanced drone weapon to a primitive human missile If something is capable of selecting and tracking a target on it's own without the aid of an operator, then yes, it possesses some form of artificial intelligence. The fact that a Drone can dodge enemy fire and co-operate with it's fellow Drones aswell reinforces this fact. Human missiles can't target something unless they're directed to target something. It's as simple as that.
                          Last edited by FoxyEX; 13 March 2007, 02:17 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

It has been stated, actually. In Rising, the Drone which Carson inadvertently activated went rogue and could 'seek a target on it's own'. Again, they must have some form of artificial intelligence in order to do that. Proves that Drones can be launched in a fire-and-forget manner.
                            Maybe instead of having AI, they are able to detect heat or motion in a target, once they are activated. And maybe whoever has activated them, does not have control, they lock on to the closest target. Also, Carson used the chair to shut the Drone down, which still suggests that the user in the chair is in control of the Drone, even after it is fired.

As for Zelenka firing the Drones from the Orion, in "No Man's Land," one of two things could explain that. One, a user can target and activate the drones from a console on the ship. Two, there is a chair device on the ship that allows the ship to fire its drones. Maybe, even a third option Lorne did everything, cuz he does have the gene.

: Green is Good.
                            sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cap116 View Post
                              As for Zelenka firing the Drones from the Orion, in "No Man's Land," one of two things could explain that. One, a user can target and activate the drones from a console on the ship. Two, there is a chair device on the ship that allows the ship to fire its drones. Maybe, even a third option Lorne did everything, cuz he does have the gene.
                              Ships don't have control chairs. Otherwise, Lorne could have done it without asking Zelenka to do so, remember, the Ancients got fed up with the control chair in the final years of the war against the Wraith.

Vala,

Comment

Working...
                              X