This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upcoming Stargate Movies

Are they going to be in the theater ? i really think they should be. Since th stargate creators are giving up on the show. and why are their only 20 episodes a season . thats no even half a year why not 40 episodes.

They are going straight to dvd and 40 episodes they do have a budget to keep to dude
    Im thinking by the name dbz fan (best anime ever)
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jeffsupersaiyan View Post
      Are they going to be in the theater ? i really think they should be.
      The movies are being released straight to video instead of at the theaters. The reasons for this are a TV movie budget and MGM thinking that the movies won't draw in a large enough audience to warrant a theatrical release. It has been said that future SG-1 movies might get a theatrical release.

Since th stargate creators are giving up on the show.
      They didn't give up on SG-1, SciFi cancelled it. MGM is continuing the TV show as a film series. SciFi gave up on SG-1, everyone else wants to keep it going.

and why are their only 20 episodes a season . thats no even half a year why not 40 episodes.
      I've never heard of a TV show having 40 episodes per season. In the 1960's, a show would have 30 episodes at most per season. In the 80's and 90's, the standard season length would be 22-26 episodes, depending on the show. In the late 90's to the present, 22 episodes per season became the norm. SG-1 had 22 episodes per season for the first seven seasons. For Seasons 8-10, SG-1 had 20 episodes per season. This is because they were making two Stargate shows at once. They didn't have the budget for both shows to have 22 episodes a season, so both shows had 20 episodes instead.

Comment

I'm sure the first season on the munsters had around 30 plus episodes. But as for the films for me its best if they get released straight to dvd. Though watching them in the cinema would be cool, it would have to make a large enough profit to warrant a release. And i feel Stargate wouldn't draw tons of 'non fans', wereas put up 'Troy' and even if your not into history many will go to watch because of 'Brad Pitt', 'Action'. They hear Stargate and think 'geeks' or 'sci fi' and generally its not a huge draw.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mike1989 View Post
          But as for the films for me its best if they get released straight to dvd. Though watching them in the cinema would be cool, it would have to make a large enough profit to warrant a release. And i feel Stargate wouldn't draw tons of 'non fans', wereas put up 'Troy' and even if your not into history many will go to watch because of 'Brad Pitt', 'Action'. They hear Stargate and think 'geeks' or 'sci fi' and generally its not a huge draw.
          I think going straight to DVD has more to do with being able to make multiple movies than anything. If they did a theatrical release, we just get one movie, and if it's not a huge hit, that's all we get. If they go direct to DVD, we get two movies. If the second one sells well, we get a third movie. If that one sells well, we get a fourth movie, and so on.

Troy is a bad example. That is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. SG-1 isn't as lowkey as you might think. Geeks and sci-fi don't have the stigma they once had. People just don't like it when you go on a rant about a TV show... big turn off. Talk about it for 5 minutes, then move on to something else. Thanks to syndication, people are well aware of SG-1. That's why MGM greenlighted two SG-1 movies.

Comment

Actually that is a good point, with the dvds they could release more movies, and then people are less likely to complain about the whole sequals business.

As for Troy it was a half decent film, but it did feature some big name actors, and another being Alexander also featuring them big name actors draw big bucks. I'm not stating that SG1, Stargate is a small unheard of name like say Invasion, it could draw on a theatrical stage but in my opinion some people are still turned off by 'scifi'.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mike1989 View Post
              Actually that is a good point, with the dvds they could release more movies, and then people are less likely to complain about the whole sequals business.
              The DVD route gives us one or two movies every year instead of one movie every 2-3 years. Why would people complain about having sequels?

As for Troy it was a half decent film, but it did feature some big name actors, and another being Alexander also featuring them big name actors draw big bucks.
              Blech. Watch Kingdom of Heaven and King Author. Now those are good movies!

I'm not stating that SG1, Stargate is a small unheard of name like say Invasion, it could draw on a theatrical stage but in my opinion some people are still turned off by 'scifi'.
              I don't think sci-fi turns people off as much as you think. It's mainly just Star Trek that people avoid thanks to it's geeky fanbase. (I'm talking about the extreme geeks the media glorifies.)

Comment

Can agree with the kingdom of heaven and King arthur both awesome movies.

But people complain about sequals, but i suppose in a way it will be different with Stargate as each one would probably end like th eusual two or three episodes that we get from time to ime saying to be continued so it would be different rather than other sequals which leech from the originals popularity and generally go worse; Jurassic Park.
                sigpic

Comment

I guess I just don't hear/read about people complaining about movie sequels. The sequel concept shouldn't be put down so harshly. You can't just lump all sequels together. Some sequels will be good, some will be bad. The same applies to original movies. I enjoyed both Jurassic Park sequels and am looking forward to Jurassic Park IV.

I agree, the SG-1 movies ought to be equal (in length) to three episodes, but with a much larger budget and filmed as a movie (movies and TV episodes are filmed differently).

Comment

Well the episodes such as the start too Atlantis or the seige would flow like films and did imo. But the only problem i have with the films is if they start adding new enemies once they finish the whole Ori storyline. unless i;m mistaken on the films and they are all focused on the Ori...
                    sigpic

Comment

First movie is about the Ori
                      Second one is totally about Ba'al.It starts with him about to be executed then he is beamed away. He alters the timeline so the stargate was never discovered and is on his way to earth with his first prime tealc and his queen Qetesh(vala) and of course a fleet fo motherships.
                      sigpic

Comment

I really hope they'll do something with this Ba'al character. So far, he was the weakest System Lord encountered!! Let's hope that Robert C. Cooper and Brad Wright are in charge with the script. They are really great on doing this.
                        Though the S10 was not my favourite season, not by far, I'm very eager to see the adventures of SG-1 in the announced movies. I can't wait till this fall for the dvd's.
                        I'm a huge fan - this is the only show for which I got angry because I had to have patience for about 4-5 months till the next season had been released. I managed to obtain all the seasons, all the translations in romanian - i got those in dvd's in my bookshelf (for Atlantis, too). Taking into consideration that our tv networks aired only 2-3 seasons of it.... It became for a time - a reason for living. I was out there.
                        Making the story short....I will make lobby for this show at all networks involved and other with the sci-fi profile, and, maybe, if there are more of us doing this, we'll hear about Stargate SG-1 more and more because ...as we all know : our imagination is the limit and, really is a great story that's worth to develop

Comment

How can you say Ba'al is the weakest system lord encountered?
                          sigpic

Comment

I used to be a huge Star Trek fan until Stargate SG1 began on TV. Since then I don't even watch Star Trek anymore. But I can't get enough SG1. Even season 1 reruns still keep me interested. So Stargate movies will likely have a larger attendance than people might think.

~Dave

Comment

Well the Baal one sounds interesting have to admit he is the best of the Gouald and far from the weakest, for me second strongest behind Anubis
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X