PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Hawking for Atlantis

Ripple in Space
March 11th, 2007, 01:47 PM
I'd love to see Stephen Hawking come to Atlantis, and have them write him to dwarf McKay's intellectual & scientific levels. Somewhere in between Asgard & McKay/Carter, roughly just under the Tollan.

I realize that no real scientist is even in the same stratosphere as McKay, but this is SciFi. It would just be nice to see a Tau'ri garnering his respect like that, plus I think the world's foremost expert on Astrology/Cosmology/Physics would have a place in Atlantis. Just a guest spot would be cool.

McKay: Listen up, we've been working on deciphering this laboratory's use for the past 2 months. So I am assigning Zelenka's team here for long-term study, along with 1/3 of my department.
Hawking (interjects): Done.
McKay: WHAT?
Hawking: I've written a 1200 page report on the exact function of this laboratory when it was operational. The last 300 pages are precise directions on how to operate the systems with 22% greater efficiency than the Atlantean technique.
McKay: .....

ColCaldwell
March 11th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Actually, that would be pretty funny! :D

True!Ancient
March 11th, 2007, 02:34 PM
I dont think atlantis was built with wheelchair ramps

deadman
March 11th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Thats what the transporters are for.

SaberBlade
March 11th, 2007, 02:48 PM
I think it would be cool for someone like Hawkings to show up, and for us to find out he's working on some secret project for the Air Force. Perhaps he's working on McKay's new math and such.

Even have some disaster where McKay and Hawking are forced to work together to solve a problem, but despite his smarts, Hawking still manages to be a step ahead of Mckay.

Arania
March 11th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Hawking still manages to be a step ahead of Hawking.

Hawking is a step ahead of himself?

'Twould be cool to see him on Atlantis, for any purpose (Him outsmarting Mckay, Mackay outsmarting him, either will be hella funny).

SaberBlade
March 11th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Hawking is a step ahead of himself?

'Twould be cool to see him on Atlantis, for any purpose (Him outsmarting Mckay, Mackay outsmarting him, either will be hella funny).

I've been doing that a lot lately.

One step ahead of McKay.

Col. Shadow Quinn
March 11th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Stephen Hawking's chair should also serve as an apache chopper.

Willow'sCat
March 11th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Nah I think he is best left to Star Trek... and Futurama! :D

Also I think he is more a celebrity these days as apposed to a scientist, shame really. :cool: :rolleyes:

J_B
March 11th, 2007, 05:35 PM
I'd love to see Stephen Hawking come to Atlantis, and have them write him to dwarf McKay's intellectual & scientific levels. Somewhere in between Asgard & McKay/Carter, roughly just under the Tollan.

I realize that no real scientist is even in the same stratosphere as McKay, but this is SciFi. It would just be nice to see a Tau'ri garnering his respect like that, plus I think the world's foremost expert on Astrology/Cosmology/Physics would have a place in Atlantis. Just a guest spot would be cool.

McKay: Listen up, we've been working on deciphering this laboratory's use for the past 2 months. So I am assigning Zelenka's team here for long-term study, along with 1/3 of my department.
Hawking: I've written a 1200 page report on the exact function of this laboratory when it was operational. The last 300 pages are precise directions on how to operate the systems with 22% greater efficiency than the Atlantean technique.

Given what has been experienced in SG-1 or Atlantis. I seriously doubt someone who hasn't left the planet or who works for ther SGC could be classed as the world's foremost expert on anything.

I'd say Carter would whip him while sleeping, not to mention probably all the scientists at Area 51, Atlantis etc. He's only working with theories, while they are working with fac!

ussrelativity
March 11th, 2007, 06:14 PM

I was hoping someone would propose this idea. I have been thinking about what do do with my new fanfic stories, and I have been mulling an appearance by Stephen Hawking in Atlantis. Inspiration Again!

Ludofjn
March 11th, 2007, 07:24 PM
i would pay large amounts of money to see this happen

Ripple in Space
March 11th, 2007, 09:22 PM

I realize that no real scientist is even in the same stratosphere as McKay, but this is SciFi.
Given what has been experienced in SG-1 or Atlantis. I seriously doubt someone who hasn't left the planet or who works for ther SGC could be classed as the world's foremost expert on anything.

I'd say Carter would whip him while sleeping, not to mention probably all the scientists at Area 51, Atlantis etc. He's only working with theories, while they are working with fac!

huh? Did you actually read the post?

I think it would be cool for someone like Hawkings to show up, and for us to find out he's working on some secret project for the Air Force. Perhaps he's working on McKay's new math and such.

Even have some disaster where McKay and Hawking are forced to work together to solve a problem, but despite his smarts, Hawking still manages to be a step ahead of Mckay.

I guess J_B didn't read your post either... Agreed SaberBlade. J_B, when has it been stated that Stephen Hawking doesn't work for the Air Force? They could say he's been working w/ Area 51 for years.

jenks
March 11th, 2007, 10:42 PM

The Tollan are just humans, McKay and Carter would still be geniuses by their standards...

Ripple in Space
March 11th, 2007, 11:15 PM
I'd love to see Stephen Hawking come to Atlantis, and have them write him to dwarf McKay's intellectual & scientific levels. Somewhere in between Asgard & McKay/Carter, roughly just under the Tollan.The Tollan are just humans, McKay and Carter would still be geniuses by their standards...

Okay, as that sentence says, I was referring to knowledge & comprehension of the sciences (Physics, Cosmology, and Astrology).......

Tibit
March 12th, 2007, 12:54 AM
I think it would be better if they found an planet with fairly average people, but this one guy has like incredible ability to learn and understand... enter Hawking. He comes back to Atlantis and within a matter of weeks he has read, expanded on and surpassed all of Mckays stuff, of course making Mckay beyone jealous. Gotta throw in a plot twist, like he has a super advanced brain cuz of some freak mutation, but that also caused his physical ailments, and it is getting progressively worse. He saves the day (perhaps the people from his world and Atlantis from an attack from the Wraith or Asurans) with his superior intelect, but is forced to sacrifice himself in the process (he fixes and uses some Ancient weapon that he knows will overload and kill him when used but does it anyways).

SaberBlade
March 12th, 2007, 05:31 AM

Maybe he's not dealing with theories. We've seen Carter deal with "theories" before in 'Prodigy' when she told students they should just accept her theory as fact, and then the equation would make sense, despite the fact she couldn't actually tell them how her theory was true, how she came to it or anything.

Within the show, all of Hawkings theories on blackholes, relativity, singularities and such could be Hawking working for the US Air Force and he's incorporating truths as theories, just like Carter has done.

Falcon Horus
March 12th, 2007, 06:09 AM
I think it would be better if they found an planet with fairly average people, but this one guy has like incredible ability to learn and understand... enter Hawking. He comes back to Atlantis and within a matter of weeks he has read, expanded on and surpassed all of Mckays stuff, of course making Mckay beyone jealous. Gotta throw in a plot twist, like he has a super advanced brain cuz of some freak mutation, but that also caused his physical ailments, and it is getting progressively worse. He saves the day (perhaps the people from his world and Atlantis from an attack from the Wraith or Asurans) with his superior intelect, but is forced to sacrifice himself in the process (he fixes and uses some Ancient weapon that he knows will overload and kill him when used but does it anyways).

Highlighted parts sound eerie familiar... Jonas Quinn anyone?

He was a quick study and according to Nirrti's machine he was a few steps higher on the ladder of evolution than us wee human beings.

Ripple in Space
March 12th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Highlighted parts sound eerie familiar... Jonas Quinn anyone?

He was a quick study and according to Nirrti's machine he was a few steps higher on the ladder of evolution than us wee human beings.

yep, I thought the same thing. + why would an alien get access to all of Earth's knowledge?

mcbarr
March 12th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Maybe the Asgard can transfer Hawking's consciousness into one of their bodies and send him to Atlantis... :p

ARMS
March 12th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Amusing, yes, but McKay & Carter are way ahead of Hawking if all was reality.

IcyNeko
March 12th, 2007, 09:39 AM
I hear that Stephen Hawking is a quake god, got a finger on the trigger and his eyes on the quad.

Caldwell's 2IC
March 12th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Amusing, yes, but McKay & Carter are way ahead of Hawking if all was reality.

Blasphemy !!! :D

I think Carter and McKay both would strutter like elementary school students if they found themselves face to face with Professor Hawking; hey, maybe they would forge an alliance against him...

Anyway, I've read Stephen Hawking's books and he has a great sense of humor so I think he would be willing to do it ( maybe he would guest-star for free ! ) However the logistics for the whole thing would be near to impossible to manage, because of Hawking's schedule and his health. But I'd love to see him wearing an Atlantis expedition blue uniform !

Too bad Atlantis doesn't have a holodeck like the Enterprise. Remember Data's poker game ? :cool:

mcbarr
March 12th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Hmm, how do you know Atlantis doesn't have a holodeck? :D

Platschu
March 12th, 2007, 03:04 PM
It would be a shame if McKay began to teack Mr. Hawkins about physics. Rodney is only a scifi character, but he is a real scientist. :o

chilapox3
March 12th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Actually, Atlantis does have a holodeck... kind of.

They have that holographic database room thing.
Does that count?

RepliHawk
March 13th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Actually, Atlantis does have a holodeck... kind of.

They have that holographic database room thing.
Does that count?

I think it counts

mcbarr
March 13th, 2007, 08:00 AM
He, he! Yeah, they should upload Hawking's holo-image to the database, and have him deliver Lantean info from now on... :D

Caldwell's 2IC
March 13th, 2007, 10:21 AM
You could also upload Carl Sagan and Richard P. Feynman...

And when I mentioned the holodeck, I meant something like the one on the Enterprise or in the DS9 station. On the very first episode, the Atlantis expedition was greeted by this hologram, so yeah, there must be holographic tech...

Ripple in Space
March 14th, 2007, 09:41 PM
You could also upload Carl Sagan and Richard P. Feynman...

And when I mentioned the holodeck, I meant something like the one on the Enterprise or in the DS9 station. On the very first episode, the Atlantis expedition was greeted by this hologram, so yeah, there must be holographic tech...

Yeah, but Atlantis isn't handicapped by an, "in the distant future" timeline/storyline. We could have the real guy there alive and kic.... er..um... ALIVE!

Caldwell's 2IC
March 15th, 2007, 12:35 PM
That would work for Hawking, but with Sagan and Feynman you'll need a Medium...:D

Ripple in Space
March 25th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Robots!

Not humanoid ones either, Original Lost in Space-esque. :D.

Caldwell's 2IC
March 26th, 2007, 01:46 PM
"Danger, Will Robinson ! Danger" :D :D :D ( "Oh, the pain..." )

ussrelativity
March 27th, 2007, 08:22 AM
I just saw an episode of The Simpsons with Hawking in it.

"If you're looking for trouble, you've found it."

kymeric
March 27th, 2007, 09:45 AM

Even better!! Have him bag Teyla, Weir, and Mckays sister! Nerds get all the chicks.........

O'Neill4prez
March 28th, 2007, 02:39 AM
Stephen Hawking in Atlantis would be brillant, the comedy value would be excellent

Zelenka: Ah, i'm afraid we had a vote, and your out
McKay: I'm out, what are your talking about
Zelenka: your out, hes in
Hawking: So get moving, that generator on M7G-677 with all those kids isn't going to fix itself
:mckayanime07:

marty2006
March 28th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Stephen Hawking's chair should also serve as an apache chopper.

it does in the simpsons lol

Caldwell's 2IC
March 30th, 2007, 12:20 PM
That chair is better equipped than my car.... http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/sheish/dcolcalot3.gif

ori soldier
March 30th, 2007, 12:31 PM
it would be good if he was an unascended ancient and ascended at the end of the ep. It would explain his intelligence

Kanten
March 30th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Stephen Hawking in Atlantis would be brillant, the comedy value would be excellent

Zelenka: Ah, i'm afraid we had a vote, and your out
McKay: I'm out, what are your talking about
Zelenka: your out, hes in
Hawking: So get moving, that generator on M7G-677 with all those kids isn't going to fix itself
:mckayanime07:

McKay: .....that's it, I'm going back to the super-Rodney machine.
Hawking: Whatever, Meredith.