This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Secondary shield on Atlantis?

dont you think they should have a secondary sheild... incase the first is breached.. or to make it a sort of containment zone...??

Just two problems with that.

1: If an Ancient, three ZPM powered shield can fail, then what would make the Ancients think a smaller secondary shield could work any better.

2: If you want to refer to what happened to Weir at the end of season 3, then what good would a second sheild do when there is no power for it to run when all power is needed for something else.

sigpic

Comment

i agree with sabarblade

the ancients had 3 zpm's and most likely of never ran out of power since they know how to biuld zpm's

the atlantis expidition have only one and when they use that they somehow fing another one and mangae to use all that up

the ancients didnt have that problem!!!!
      sigpic

Comment

As the shield on Atlantis is the most powerful we've seen and as the Alterans would have had all the power they needed to power them there would be no need for a secondary shield. But perhaps like the Alteran drilling platform they have sheilds at the doorways?

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

I think he's meaning something like a forcefield that will go up automatically if there is ever a problem with the shield.

Usually it's only a power thing with the Lantean shields. If working, they can only be breached if the ZPM runs out of power.

However it's possible the OP was referring to events like 'The Return I'. Where the shield generator gets hit & the shield goes down. So if that happens, they could activate a temporary 2nd shield or forcefield that will allow them a set amount of time to fix the shields before they go down.

Comment

There is a secondary shield on atlantis if you look on rising part 1 or 2 when they are looking out under the ocean the water is inches from them and the thin inner shield is protecting them

Mckay: Size doesnt matter

Sheppard:thats a myth

I like farris wheels,college football and a good cup of tea.

Comment

Originally posted by True!Ancient View Post
              There is a secondary shield on atlantis if you look on rising part 1 or 2 when they are looking out under the ocean the water is inches from them and the thin inner shield is protecting them
              That's the primary shield that was active when under the Ocean. It started to fail because the ZPM was going down & almost depleted, therefore the safety mechanism engaged & the city rose to the ocean's surface. After that, the ZPM went totally dead. Hence it'd be impossible for any other shield to have been running because there was no power to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by J_B View Post
                That's the primary shield that was active when under the Ocean. It started to fail because the ZPM was going down & almost depleted, therefore the safety mechanism engaged & the city rose to the ocean's surface. After that, the ZPM went totally dead. Hence it'd be impossible for any other shield to have been running because there was no power to do so.
                Good point
                sigpic

Comment

Kind of like the Scimitar from Star Trek: Nemesis? Which had primary and secondary shields (according to Mr. Worf).

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/2165/scimitarhk2.jpg

She's a predator, you know!
                  Last edited by Madeleine; 10 March 2007, 08:42 PM. Reason: Stretching the forum

Comment

Originally posted by J_B View Post
                    If that was the primary shield the rooms wouldnt of flooded 1 by 1 it would of gone alltogether....the entire city was covert in water you can see this when the english guy shows wier that another room was flooded

Mckay: Size doesnt matter

Sheppard:thats a myth

I like farris wheels,college football and a good cup of tea.

Comment

From what I can gather, having a secondary shield might be a good idea, just covering the main tower complex would require less power. A handful of Naq generators might be up to the job when the city is in space to help preserve the crew (the Atlantis team), til they land it on a suitable planet.

After all, whilst in space, only the places that people are in need to shielded to keep them alive. The only problem that I can see is space junk and small rocks (and large) crashing in the city because of it not being shielded in those areas.

And before anybody says, "what about aerodynamics's", i don't matter in space as the principle of aerodynamics's only applies to where air resistance is around, such as on a planet.
                      http://www.myspace.com/adam_1973

Comment

yes i would love to see a second shield or atleast a forceshield that goes up like in the drilling platform. i dont think that the doors that atlantis has holds people to well. how many times now have they been breached? plus with force shields spoilers for firststrike
                        Spoiler:
                        we could group all the people in the main tower and conserve power while we are floating in space instead of covering the entire city.

thanks to www.savecarsonbeckett.com and leelakin for the pretty sig.

Comment

In "RISING PART1" the shield adapted to the power it had... It sacrificed parts of the city to protect the central spire... Not only that, it changed from as Sphere to a thin layer around the actual buildings to save power... I'm sure the same will happen again...

Should that happen it can be powered by the Generators we have on hand...

Comment

Originally posted by True!Ancient View Post
                            As TA said, the entire city was covered with water, the shield had collapsed to minimum sustainable levels according to McKay. I believe that the main shield had collapsed completly, and only emergency forcefields that protected the open windows and spaces were keeping the city dry. The english guy pointed out another part of the forcefield collapsing, which was shown as a bright flash and bubbles rising in the affected area. The city was sacrificing parts of itself to maintain power to the forcefields in the central tower. Then as they were about to collapse completly, the failsafe kicked in and the city broke the surface just as the shield collapsed. You saw water running off the city as it broke the surface, and as it settled, you saw water running off the glass.

Spoiler:
                            In First Strike, you could see the full shield engaged
                            , I would suspect that atlantis does have "secondary shields", emergency forcefields that protect the open windows, as well as providing for emergencies like power loss. I suspect that the naquadah generators could power these smaller emergency forcefields, at least enough to take the "weight" off the zpm, allowing them to use that remaining power to for something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravity View Post
                              In "RISING PART1" the shield adapted to the power it had... It sacrificed parts of the city to protect the central spire... Not only that, it changed from as Sphere to a thin layer around the actual buildings to save power... I'm sure the same will happen again...

Should that happen it can be powered by the Generators we have on hand...
                              i dont think that our generators even with the shield next to the city would be able to cover the ENTIRE city maybe at most the control tower.

thanks to www.savecarsonbeckett.com and leelakin for the pretty sig.

Comment

Working...
                              X