This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tollan Tech Similar Level To Ancients?

As you remember the tollan had technology that could phrase shift (terminology Right?) also they apprarently had the technology to make a device that would give unlimited energy similar to a ZPM (remember how there old planet was destory due to them giving there next door neigbour that device, and therefore never giving us any of there technology to us..)- imagine if they actually decided to share that technology, i wonder if we will deplete the energy source under a year, considering altantis and all.

So my question is Tollan technology similar to the ancients technology, yes i know our level of technology can not be compared to there but are there technology quite similar

The Tollan are fairly advanced but I wouldn't go as far to say that they are on par with the ancients.

Sure the Tollan made their own stargate, but that was with help from the Nox.
    They had pretty advanced weapondary but it was nothing compared to drones.
    Their phase shifting tech was pretty cool but the ancients had their dimension shift devices (Sodan cloaks and Aurthur's mantle device).
    And it seems as though the ancients had better hyperdrive technology.

I guess I'm trying to say that the Tollan were on the same sort of journey that the ancients were on, but they still have a very long way to go.
    sigpic
    By *E*K*R*

Comment

Originally posted by Gen_J_O'Neill View Post
      The Tollan are fairly advanced but I wouldn't go as far to say that they are on par with the ancients.

Sure the Tollan made their own stargate, but that was with help from the Nox.
      They had pretty advanced weapondary but it was nothing compared to drones.
      Their phase shifting tech was pretty cool but the ancients had their dimension shift devices (Sodan cloaks and Aurthur's mantle device).
      And it seems as though the ancients had better hyperdrive technology.

I guess I'm trying to say that the Tollan were on the same sort of journey that the ancients were on, but they still have a very long way to go.
      Yeah well we can be sure they will never get to that point.
      Spoiler:
      Spoiler:
      A tribute to the Asgard, a great race, great allies and our best friends!
      The Tau'ri will not forget about you.

Your legacy is safe with use.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkygate View Post
        As you remember the tollan had technology that could phrase shift (terminology Right?) also they apprarently had the technology to make a device that would give unlimited energy similar to a ZPM (remember how there old planet was destory due to them giving there next door neigbour that device, and therefore never giving us any of there technology to us..)
        I'd really love to know what this power source which generated 'unlimited' energy was - I find it hard to believe that a race inferior to the Ancients developed one. ZedPMs can't even generate unlimited power.
        - imagine if they actually decided to share that technology, i wonder if we will deplete the energy source under a year, considering altantis and all.
        Something which is unlimited generally can't be depleted.
        So my question is Tollan technology similar to the ancients technology, yes i know our level of technology can not be compared to there but are there technology quite similar
        Tollan technology is completely different from Ancient technology, from operation right down to the designs, not to mention it's obvious inferiority. The Ancients had and still continue to have the most advanced spacedrives, shields, ships, weaponry, etc in the universe.
        sigpic

Comment

Not a chance the tollan were very advanced but nowhere near the level of the ancients. I mean daniel said it himself roughly how far advanced they were, he said that they may not have had a period like the dark ages on their planet which stunted our technological growth by around 800 years and the ancients were millions of years old.

Comment

Originally posted by marty2006 View Post
            Not a chance the tollan were very advanced but nowhere near the level of the ancients. I mean daniel said it himself roughly how far advanced they were, he said that they may not have had a period like the dark ages on their planet which stunted our technological growth by around 800 years and the ancients were millions of years old.
            It's also possible they had advanced technology to study. They could've found Ancient technology on their planet or any host of other advanced tech including Goa'uld tech. It would've launched them ahead hundreds, even thousands of years in scientific knowledge and technological advancement. But, we can never know for sure at this point as they're not around to tell us and even if some did survive it's unlikely that we will meet them now that Sg-1 is going off the air.

Comment

They were at the level of technology that Earth would have had we not experienced the Dark ages.

As far as being as advanced as the Ancients... they were wiped out by the Goa'uld, remember? As far as the older and more advanced races go, the Goa'uld are weak by comparison.
              www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR View Post
                They were at the level of technology that Earth would have had we not experienced the Dark ages.
                The Tollans were not at the level of technology that Earth would be if we had not experienced the Dark Ages. They are simply much more advanced and when a query was made about the possibility of them being more advanced than us, Daniel replied by saying yes it was possible and then explaining that we'd be colonising space right now if we didn't go through the dark ages and it's possible that they didn't go through that same set back. Colonising space (which is exactly what he said) is far cry from their level of technology (he didn't even know for sure that they were more advanced yet, let alone what they'd end up having). There are also various other factors that are involved such as break throughs by genius minds that we may not have had, the influence of alien technology on your culture, the wars we fought, especially in the 20th century, which pushed us so much further than we ever would've been without them, and so on.

As far as being as advanced as the Ancients... they were wiped out by the Goa'uld, remember? As far as the older and more advanced races go, the Goa'uld are weak by comparison.
                They were wiped out by Anubis who used ascended knowledge to improve the shields on his ships which were capable of guarding against their only weapon. If he was facing an Ancient planet there's no way to say that with enough time he could not have developed shields to defend against drones. Earth simply managed to catch him by surprise, but after analyzing drones, who knows. Also, the Tollan were limited to one planet, didn't care to build a fleet of ships, were arrogant in their thinking that their canons could defeat any ships so they had no reason to look for better defenses, and they just rebuilt after being forced off a planet where their entire civilization was leveled to the ground.

I agree with you that they are nowhere near the level of the Ancients, but using Anubis' attack on them isn't a valid reason for why that is so as he very likely could've found a way to take out a world that the Ancients used as an outpost, but to destroy them he would've had to attack many different worlds (the city ships, obviously would've been beyond his ability to successfully assault, though). The Tollans did not have the benefit of being that widespread since they haven't been around that long.
                Last edited by Sicktem; 10 March 2007, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sicktem View Post
                  You have your facts completely messed up. First of all, the Tollan were not at the level of technology that Earth would be if we had not experienced the Dark Ages. They are simply much more advanced and when a comment was made about how they managed to get so far ahead of us, Daniel explained that there were various factors that would be involved to make us less advanced, including (but not limited to) going through the Dark ages.

Also, the Goa'uld never wiped out the Ancients, I have no idea where you even got this from (maybe you're confusing the Wraith with the Goa'uld?). The Ancients were hit with a plaque 5-10 million years ago that wiped at the bulk of their population. Some managed to avoid being infected and they packed up and moved to the Pegasus galaxy. They were a race of scientists that hardly faced any real threat and so they depended entirely on their advanced technology to get them past any problem. Unfortunately that meant when the Wraith attacked them in huge numbers they were overwhelmed (at the time the Wraith were like an infestation of bugs - no matter how many you kill there are always more where they came from). So, they left and went back to Earth. While there they helped to form the early basis of Human civilization and worked towards ascension. Those who could not evolve probably made lives with the local Humans and eventually all that was left of their race was polluted by Human genes. After this the Goa'uld came (it could've been hundreds or even thousands of years later). If there were any Ancients still around (that's a big if) they would have been living simple lives and therefore be unable to fight the Goa'uld. When they returned to Earth they gave up on their civilization because there was really not much technology to be found, so they would've had to start from scratch. Anyway, when the Goa'uld came around they found the remains of that 5-10 million year old Ancient civilization. A lot was still around since they were killed by a plaque which left them no time to secure their technology, but much of it likely crumbled into disrepair. Whatever could be found, the Goa'uld salvaged and adapted to their technology which came from many other sources (they are scavengers which take tech from any source available).
                  you misunderstood him, i believe he meant the tollan can't be as advanced as the Ancient because the Tollan got beaten by the goa'uld
                  Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
                    you misunderstood him, i believe he meant the tollan can't be as advanced as the Ancient because the Tollan got beaten by the goa'uld
                    Yeah, I realized that within minutes of posting and begun a series of edits where I ended up rewritting the second part. I had hoped to get to it before anyone saw it, but no such luck.
                    Last edited by Sicktem; 10 March 2007, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxyEX View Post
                      I'd really love to know what this power source which generated 'unlimited' energy was - I find it hard to believe that a race inferior to the Ancients developed one. ZedPMs can't even generate unlimited power.
                      Something which is unlimited generally can't be depleted.
                      Tollan technology is completely different from Ancient technology, from operation right down to the designs, not to mention it's obvious inferiority. The Ancients had and still continue to have the most advanced spacedrives, shields, ships, weaponry, etc in the universe.
                      The power source was indeed infinate but it proberly wasn't more powerful than the ZPM. I'm sure both the Asgard Neutrino Ion Generators and even the Tau'ri Relative Singularity Generators are ever-lasting in a sense but neither provide as much power as a ZPM would.

It's like hypotheticly comparing a car battery to...well a very weak Hydro-Electric power station. The car battery is way more powerful than the power given by the power station but it won't last forever.

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

By "Unlimited"
                        I doubt they actually meant that it had no limit to how much power it could produce.

If the devices power were truly unlimited, it could have destroyed the entire universe.

They said unlimited because it could produce enough power to sustain a population for long enough that they would probably never have to worry about getting a new powersource.
                        sigpic

Comment

The Tollan probably had an energy source that outpaced all their imaginable consumption needs, and was- to them- "unlimited".

However, had they tried to run an Ancient City Ship on that power source, they would have learned very quickly that supposedly "unlimited" power withers in the face of such massive requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by .jolinar. View Post
                            The power source was indeed infinate but it proberly wasn't more powerful than the ZPM. I'm sure both the Asgard Neutrino Ion Generators and even the Tau'ri Relative Singularity Generators are ever-lasting in a sense but neither provide as much power as a ZPM would.

It's like hypotheticly comparing a car battery to...well a very weak Hydro-Electric power station. The car battery is way more powerful than the power given by the power station but it won't last forever.
                            when was it mentioned in the show tht earth has an "Relative Singularity Generator" it has never been mentioned both in the show and on gateworld's omipedia. Please explain?

Comment

the tollan was not that advanced they didnt have any good shield tech and thought that they were better than the goouald in every single way, because they can defeat them.

anubis had ancient derived tech and could take down a beliskner with a few ships

if the tollan developed shield techs and with their 'Unlimited Power' they could of easily created a big fat shield around there city or area

but no they got killed
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X