This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about "Home"...SPOILERS everywhere

I saw "Home" last night and overall thought it was pretty good. It reminded me of the old SG-1 episode "The Gamekeeper", but was less annoying.
    S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    My question is, when Dr. Weir and her crew left Earth, General Hammond was a three star general in charge of all Earth-Stargate Affairs; General O'Neill was in charge of SGC. So, when they came "back" to Earth, why was their only contact with Gen. Hammond?

If I remember correctly, Dr. Weir had minimal contact with General Hammond. She mostly dealt with O'Neill and Carter and Dr. Jackson when she was in charge of SGC and before she left.

Also, if Carter is such a big deal to Dr. McCay, why wouldn't she have been in his "dream" and helping him with the ZPM? In my opinion, those omissions were pretty big and seemed to lose credibility for the episode. Once I saw it was only Hammond, I was like, "yeah, right..." Carter and O'Neill should have been there more than Hammond. It was a nice way to write Don S. Davis into the new show, but his character was stilted and un-Hammond-like and the others should have been there.

I really don't like this whole "we're not going to mix the two series" stuff at all. They should do a little mixing every now and then. At least they mentioned the Goa'uld and Asgard in "Home". They should also tell Teyla about the Goa'uld and Asgard and the other aliens they know about in the Milky Way and Ida galaxies.

What do you guys think?

according to TPTB, there will be much more chance for cross-overs next year

Comment

Altantis is probably a seperate project from the SGC. Hammond is the one who oversees everything, Prometheus, SGC, Antarctica, Atlantis.
      sigpic

Comment

Hammond isn't a three-star general, at least, we haven't been told he is. And Hammond is overseer of all the alien stuff: SGC, Prometheus, Area 51, Atlantis etc. So it would make sense for him to be there, I'm sure Weir had loads of contact with him between heading the Antarctic site and leaving for Atlantis.

Comment

So we have to assume that in this episode, O'Niell has gone off-world, even though he is the SGC commanding officer?

Also, I thought General Hammond was a three star, cause last night I was like, why is he only wearing 2 stars?

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
          [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

I think Hammond was there to greet them as the first indication that something strange was going on.
            The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

He got a promotion in position, but they've never said he did in rank. One reason for this may very well be the fact that general officer promotions go through the senate and are pretty well publicized for such things (each service only gets so many generals at each grade).

They may keep him at that rank so that he doesn't attract attention.

Comment

They still didn't really explain why Hammond was there. On SG-1, he isn't around because he's overseeing the whole program. Why would he all of the sudden be there without O'Neill when the team arrives?

They all knew Jack was the new General when they left for Atlantis. Someone, especially Weir, should have at least asked why Hammond was there and not O'Neill. That would have given away the whole thing at the beginning.

Plus, the aliens in their heads should have known this little bit as well even if they didn't know Sheppard's friends were dead.

It was nice to see Hammond again, but the reason didn't seem plausible.

Comment

I think it comes down to the fact that Weir doesn't answer to Jack, they are equals over different projects within the same department. Her automatic assumption would be that she'd be briefing her boss, and because he was at the front of her mind he's the one that appears when she steps through. We don't know at all that he was the one that greeted the others. It could have been taht O'Neill or Chevron Guy were the ones that greeted the other members of the team. Whoever they were thinking about most.

Comment

Just because we don´t see them doesn´t mean that they aren´t there.

After all, we only saw 30 minutes from an entire day.

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c
                      Hammond isn't a three-star general, at least, we haven't been told he is. And Hammond is overseer of all the alien stuff: SGC, Prometheus, Area 51, Atlantis etc. So it would make sense for him to be there, I'm sure Weir had loads of contact with him between heading the Antarctic site and leaving for Atlantis.
                      Hammond was promoted to 3 stars in New Order. A hero like him doesn't have to be confirmed by the senate. Watch New Order again.

Comment

So then it was a goof in "HOME" when he was seen only with 2-stars.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                        [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                          He got a promotion in position, but they've never said he did in rank. One reason for this may very well be the fact that general officer promotions go through the senate and are pretty well publicized for such things (each service only gets so many generals at each grade).

They may keep him at that rank so that he doesn't attract attention.
                          It's assumed in rank too. I think in New Order they clearly said he was promoted, which in the military, usually means rank not position. Hammond and O'Neill saved the Earth, yet again, so all that normal confirmation crap would be ignored.

Comment

You assume the promotion in grade. It has absolutely NOT been stated in canon. At all.

A general officer promotion is something that can take YEARS, and has to be approved through the senate. Just because we all think he should have three or four stars doesn't mean that he does.

Not to mention that confirmation can't just be 'ignored'. It's part of the law.
                            Last edited by Major Fischer; 12 September 2004, 03:21 PM. Reason: Not to mention...

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                              I think it comes down to the fact that Weir doesn't answer to Jack, they are equals over different projects within the same department. Her automatic assumption would be that she'd be briefing her boss,
                              I don't think they've said anything definitive, but she's only the leader of an expedition and the only military personal she 'ranks' over are those under Shepard. O'Neill had to give the "Go" command to even goto Atlantis. Her command over him was very temporary and only because of Kinsey in the first place. Someone with ZERO intergalatic experience would not have equal rank to someone with Jack's experience. One of the reasons she was the leader of the expedition (who would never have a higher rank than someone who SENT them on the expedition) was because of her negotiating skills. I think once the cross overs start, she'll be getting commands from Jack and Hammond. But then again, knowing how the writers love to put 'independant' streaks in their characters, I have no doubt Weird and Sheppard will totally disregard them.

Comment

Working...
                              X