Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Travelers Pre Airing Discussion/speculation (Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think not...

Comment

Sorry to ask a stupid question but i`ve been frequenting these forums for a while now and I`m still not 100% what 'whumping' is.

As I understand it 'whumping' is wishing harm to a character you like (getting beaten/roughed up but nothing fatal).

Now I`m sure I`m missing something completely here but why would you wish harm to a character you like?

Or is this one of those 'if you have to ask you`ll never understand' situations?!

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
        Sorry to ask a stupid question but i`ve been frequenting these forums for a while now and I`m still not 100% what 'whumping' is.

As I understand it 'whumping' is wishing harm to a character you like (getting beaten/roughed up but nothing fatal).

Now I`m sure I`m missing something completely here but why would you wish harm to a character you like?

Or is this one of those 'if you have to ask you`ll never understand' situations?!
        Check out my sig.

Whump is about enjoying the struggle the character goes through - the more difficult the struggle the better.
        sigpic
        Sig by Luciana
        My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

Oh people like whump for many different reasons. I know we had a thread a while ago that discussed it.

There are few male whumpers....mostly it is a female thing so I am not sure that it is something that most men really understand that easily. I can only speak for myself in saying that I enjoy whump because it gives me very strong feelings of wanting to go and save Shep and look after him. My heart kind of aches when he is whumped - you may think why would you enjoy that - but I guess the same could be said of people who go and watch a horror film and want to be scared...it is all about feeling emotion.

Okay a rubbish explanation...but I think you are right - you probably will never understand if you have to ask!

Comment

Originally posted by Sheppard's Delight View Post
            Oh people like whump for many different reasons. I know we had a thread a while ago that discussed it.

There are few male whumpers....mostly it is a female thing so I am not sure that it is something that most men really understand that easily. I can only speak for myself in saying that I enjoy whump because it gives me very strong feelings of wanting to go and save Shep and look after him. My heart kind of aches when he is whumped - you may think why would you enjoy that - but I guess the same could be said of people who go and watch a horror film and want to be scared...it is all about feeling emotion.

Okay a rubbish explanation...but I think you are right - you probably will never understand if you have to ask!
            I agree with you on that IMO its not just the actual hurting and the pain its the journey and the anticipation of what results from the whump. Its a really personal thing to see someone vulnerable and hurt and you just want to see that even though they are hero's they are human and not invincible and they may well need someone to make it all better, and us whumpers would only be too pleased to volunteer

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffles View Post
              Check out my sig.

Whump is about enjoying the struggle the character goes through - the more difficult the struggle the better.
              Wish I`d seen your sig before I`d posted the question - would've saved me the trouble

Thanks everyone for your replies but I think Ruffles sig has pretty much hit the nail on the head of that one

Comment

I think I am in bad thread but...what about some nice Rodney whump?

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

A little snippet from Joe's blog:

Jenny Robin writes: “Big Joe, how was your day?”

Answer: Pretty good. Joe Flanigan swung by the offices today to give us his thoughts on a couple of scripts. He LOVED Travelers. No surprise there. I worked on breaking down the first part of the mid-season two-parter, then joined Carl, Alan, and Martin in the writers’ room to re-break the last two acts of Martin’s latest script to incorporate Rob’s Lectoresque notion.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                    I saw that, and also that he has assigned the word 'rivalry' to Travelers. I'm getting so excited!
                    Rivalry makes it sound as though there's some sort of fighting going to happen, which would be really cool. Oh dear, months and months to wait until we see this episode and my speculation barometer has gone right off the scale already!!!
                    sigpic

Comment

Fantastic!! If JF likes it its got to be good, he takes the scripts very seriously and always expresses his concerns so if he thinks its good thats all I need to know!!

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
                      I saw that, and also that he has assigned the word 'rivalry' to Travelers. I'm getting so excited!
                      Rivalry makes it sound as though there's some sort of fighting going to happen, which would be really cool. Oh dear, months and months to wait until we see this episode and my speculation barometer has gone right off the scale already!!!

Oh I totally agree I can't wait, lets hope for close contact fighting!! rather than just shooting, I like the drama and the danger, it always seems to me that there is more at stake if its up close and personal!!

Comment

Jenny Robin writes: “Big Joe, how was your day?”

Answer: Pretty good. Joe Flanigan swung by the offices today to give us his thoughts on a couple of scripts. He LOVED Travelers. No surprise there. I worked on breaking down the first part of the mid-season two-parter, then joined Carl, Alan, and Martin in the writers’ room to re-break the last two acts of Martin’s latest script to incorporate Rob’s Lectoresque notion.

Let the Squee factor rise several more notches!! Damn, I just wish we'd get more hints to this ep. Heck, I'll even take it in riddle form!

So, Travelers dels with a rivalry, it has Shep whump and airs 4th? Will this ep be a good as that fourth episode of S1???????? Hmm....
                        sigpic

Comment

Plot details from stargate solutions:

Spoiler:
                          Summary

Sheppard is taken prisoner of a group of ship-faring people known as the Travelers who wish to use his Ancient gene to reactivate long-dormant Ancient technology — specifically, an Ancient battle ship, similar to an Aurora class.
                          Details

The Travelers might have started out evading the Wraith, but now, they live on a ship with hyperspace capability and land on planets when they need supplies or when they conduct trade. After having traveled in this way for so long, the lifestyle has become their identity.

Sheppard has been captured, beaten, and bound by the Travelers Silas, Nevik, and Larrin. Of the three, Larrin, a female leader with the title of “Commander”, continues interacting with Sheppard on an individual basis. She explains who they are and how they live. Larrin knows that Sheppard has the ATA gene and she knows of the Lantian technology. She calls the Ancients the Ancestors and tells Sheppard that they had heard rumors about a group of humans in the galaxy who were using the technology against the Wraith. The Travelers were curious, so they set up spy satellites near the gates in orbit (Space Gates) in order to encounter them. In Larrin’s words, “We got lucky.”

The satellite picked up Sheppard’s presence in his ship and attacked him because he was flying the puddle jumper, Lantian technology that requires the gene to operate. They took samples of his blood in order to configure a control interface adaptor. The device is not yet perfected, but the Travelers are hopeful it will eventually work. Until then, they’ve decided to use Sheppard as their interface to initialize a dormant Lantian battle ship similar to an Aurora class and make it operational once more.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                            Plot details from stargate solutions:

Spoiler:
                            Summary

Sheppard is taken prisoner of a group of ship-faring people known as the Travelers who wish to use his Ancient gene to reactivate long-dormant Ancient technology — specifically, an Ancient battle ship, similar to an Aurora class.
                            Details

The Travelers might have started out evading the Wraith, but now, they live on a ship with hyperspace capability and land on planets when they need supplies or when they conduct trade. After having traveled in this way for so long, the lifestyle has become their identity.

Sheppard has been captured, beaten, and bound by the Travelers Silas, Nevik, and Larrin. Of the three, Larrin, a female leader with the title of “Commander”, continues interacting with Sheppard on an individual basis. She explains who they are and how they live. Larrin knows that Sheppard has the ATA gene and she knows of the Lantian technology. She calls the Ancients the Ancestors and tells Sheppard that they had heard rumors about a group of humans in the galaxy who were using the technology against the Wraith. The Travelers were curious, so they set up spy satellites near the gates in orbit (Space Gates) in order to encounter them. In Larrin’s words, “We got lucky.”

The satellite picked up Sheppard’s presence in his ship and attacked him because he was flying the puddle jumper, Lantian technology that requires the gene to operate. They took samples of his blood in order to configure a control interface adaptor. The device is not yet perfected, but the Travelers are hopeful it will eventually work. Until then, they’ve decided to use Sheppard as their interface to initialize a dormant Lantian battle ship similar to an Aurora class and make it operational once more.
                            Aw, man! You beat me to it! I was going to post a link to it!!!

Comment

Comment

I do hope these people from the traverlers are'nt the new powerful race cause they don't sound that powerful from the spoiler, but I could be wrong. They sound more like the Ashen to me. Even the Tollans seems more powerful, if their like the Tollans in technological then I can live with that.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X