This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis's Monitors

What are those paper-thin monitor screens that hang from the ceilings all over Atlantis? You guys know what I mean. They look real, and not CGI-ish at all, they even swing as the actors walk by them. They're also transparent when inactive.

I mean I own a 2in. thick 1080p HDTV, but that's a far cry from paper thin and translucent. My question is what are they, really? To my knowledge no real monitor is anywhere near this advanced.

Last edited by Ripple in Space; 02 March 2007, 09:06 PM.
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

I should have put this in Science & Tech, can a mod please move it?
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

Comment

To tell ya the truth, I think they're just SciFied-up versions of these.

Comment

I think they are just high tech view screens that display needed information.
        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I know the answer to this.

They're basically plexiglass hanging down from the ceiling, and they set up a projector on the floor to display images on them. It makes them look like some super advance moniter technology.
          These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by Detox View Post
            I know the answer to this.

They're basically plexiglass hanging down from the ceiling, and they set up a projector on the floor to display images on them. It makes them look like some super advance moniter technology.
            You could see the projectors in some episodes
            Last edited by RepliHawk; 03 March 2007, 07:43 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

They are probably just a visual effect, an image over a real object.

Considering its a screen made by the Ancients, its not real tech that we have.

Comment

I thought they were real

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                  I thought they were real
                  I don't think so. The image quality is too low.

Also, sometimes you can see the actors standing out of the way so they don't block the projector. I love Stargate and its low, low budget.

Comment

A show on the Discovery channel showed paper thined TVs/Monitors. They beleived that one day it will replace painted walls. Home owners will be able to change the color (or image) when ever the mood suits them.

Wish I could remember the shows name. But here are some links to what I mean.

http://www.trap17.com/index.php/pape...ns_t28743.html

http://www.siemens.com/index.jsp?sdc...tentid=1319922

And then there is this--
                    http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/moni...0001903,00.htm

Lots more. Google "paper thin tv"
                    sigpic

Comment

I can remember on the SGA Season 1 DVD box set that one of the writers walked around the set and went by the screen and said that it was only a data projector on some kind of plexiglass.

Although I could be wrong...
                      Thanks Marcy for the Pic.
                      Webmaster of www.SaveElizabethWeir.com

Comment

Originally posted by the old briar pipe View Post
                        I don't think so. The image quality is too low.

Also, sometimes you can see the actors standing out of the way so they don't block the projector. I love Stargate and its low, low budget.
                        Its not the fact that it is low budget, it is what they do with the low budget that matters

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson View Post
                          Its not the fact that it is low budget, it is what they do with the low budget that matters
                          Oh, I meant that as a compliment. I love the chalk-on-black-fabric turned outer space trick. It's pretty much the most awesome thing ever.

Personally, I'd much rather see the money spent on useful things, like cast or cooler sets or really nice CG, rather than on silly things like more expensive (but not better-looking) props.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliHawk View Post
                            You could see the projectors in some episodes
                            Got any screen caps for that?

Comment

yeah i just watched the making the other day. and the guys says its just Plexiglas and a projector.

although in some eps like runner where they show video on it. its CGI there because in the commentaries they complain about its notas transparent as it usually is.

Comment

Working...
                              X