Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Non US & canada personel needed (opinion)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Non US & canada personel needed (opinion)

What set Atlantis off from SG1, was it wasnt just "America owns the gate, never trust Russians", it was multinational. But by the end of season 3 thats kinda died, With Grodin death, and Beckets death, the only main/ semi main character who isn't from USA or Canada is Zelenka, not exactly the "multinational show" that season 1 suggested it would be. (Ronan and Teyla are not counted)
    You do on occasion see other nationalities in the background, but all the characters who come back for episodes after episodes, theres all US or Canadian.
    So is it just me who thinks season 4 should have some other nationality reinforcement semi-main characters.
    Hola

Hello

i totaly agee more Non US & canada personel
    preferns nato allis and rusia and china
    sorry cant spell

Comment

What about the ANZUS treaty members?

Comment

why?There's a czech character.I don't need more
        Stolen Kosovo
        sigpic

Comment

Definately. Give us Brits. LOTS of Brits. Give us a whole Frakking team!!!!!!

On top of that I guess some other nationalities might be some use....

Seriously though I refuse to believe that the best and brightest is basically all Canadian, America and one chezch.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

hehe, I remember when was DN here in Czech Republic, someone asked him this question. He answered that "I am Czech so they think that I represent the international team", he was joking but is it weird, true. He also said that there are people with different flags but they are Canadians or Americans. The upside down German flag is proof that they have no idea what country they represent
            But I can say that I am more than happy that from all acutal present countries is it Czech Republic *proud patriot in me*

I think if someone, so not from English speaking country (sorry Brits )
            Russians (why there are not any btw.?), China or France. Countries which knew about existence of SG programme before all others? Or Germany?

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

I agree we need more of a mix. I like to see more of China personel as they do have the man power.
              sigpic

Comment

well, from a military standpoint, the americans are running it, so thats why there are so many americans.

i think i've only seen 2 regular canadian flags (McKay & the gateroom tech guy).

And as for the international personal, a lot has been dying off lately now that you mention it.

although in real life it would be great to see, the show is technically made in canada for an american audience (and showed in other countries in europe and canada), thats why there are that many more canadians / americans.

Comment

What we need are more main cast characters along the lines of Chekov and Sulu.
                  sigpic
                  "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Even as an American myself, I tend to whole-heartedly agree. I mean, most of us American women simply can't help but thunk for cute foreign guys with accents anyway, even if their accent's are actually fake. But alas... Perhaps the boys in charge think they're expendable simply because American men don't tend to care for accents as much as women. I'm admittedly a proud Beckett-thunker, and I think if they just had a wider variety of representative characters, it might also allow for some really awesome story-telling. A good number of people in America and Canada really do like exploring and seeing the varying perspectives and lifestyle differences of foreigners, but the writers in charge just don't seem to care at all.

Comment

Aw, come on surely you have seen the random "extras" wearing an insignia from your country! *Australia has about 5 now* Isn't that enough? [/sarcasm]

I would say yes to writing in more "foreigners" but sadly they always seem to be played as fools somehow, even Zelenka at times. I say be careful what you wish for.

I know I am still getting over "Eureka's" interpretation of an Australian *shudders* but then the one on House is good, as he is an Australian actor and it is not big deal and I don't think I have heard him say crikey once.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                        Aw, come on surely you have seen the random "extras" wearing an insignia from your country! *Australia has about 5 now* Isn't that enough? [/sarcasm]

I would say yes to writing in more "foreigners" but sadly they always seem to be played as fools somehow, even Zelenka at times. I say be careful what you wish for.

I know I am still getting over "Eureka's" interpretation of an Australian *shudders* but then the one on House is good, as he is an Australian actor and it is not big deal and I don't think I have heard him say crikey once.
                        I think 'foreigners' will be in teh background always, or they kill them. I mean, if you're Russian, you're just counting down the minutes till you're killed on a Stargate show.

Comment

Yeah foreigners will probably be the red shirts, we've had two Brits already and they've both died!

Comment

I wonder if we'll ever see someone from India in Atlantis.

Comment

The problem with this is that it isn't real life!

It's only targeted towards the US audience. Hence, if they turned it into the U.N that will probably turn off a lot of their mainstream target audience.

Sure it would probably grow interest in other countries because they'll see people from their own country representing them etc. However as seen with SG-1, the rest of the world isn't really taken into account. They could easily have broadcast S11 worldwide, then released it online in the US. With perhaps a DVD every month containing 4/5 eps to let them catch up quickly etc rather than waiting till everyone else has seen it first, before releasing the entire S11 on box set. That way nobody gets left out & everyone all pretty much sees it at the same time.

Do this for a couple of seasons until the Sci-Fi contract expires. Then take it to another US network. However they didn;t.

Therefore it's an American show, targeted towards a US audience. They won't jeopardise that to make it more 'real'. If they turn off their target audience, then the show will be no more. It's as simple as that!

Perhaps if Sky bought a license from MGM or whatever, then made their own UK based show. They could do it, but while it's being done by MGM & targeted towards a US audience. They'll always be in charge & have the largest populations on the show.

Comment

Working...
                              X