This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting SG1 actors into Atlantis... It could work, look at ST DS9

I thought about how sucessful Star Trek DS9 became, especially after they put two of their main characters from Star Trek Enterprise (Worf and O'Brien).

It can probably work on Atlantis as well....

Putting a well known and loved character on SGA from SG1 (AT/SC). Could there be any other possibilities of putting other characters on SGA either temporarily or permanently, possibly Michael Shanks?
    Subspace Energy Technology Thread
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...68#post8685268

Originally posted by McSwift View Post
    I thought about how sucessful Star Trek DS9 became, especially after they put two of their main characters from Star Trek Enterprise (Worf and O'Brien).

Putting a well known and loved character on SGA from SG1 (AT/SC). Could there be any other possibilities of putting other characters on SGA either temporarily or permanently, possibly Michael Shanks?
    Actually, sticking Worf in DS9 made me quit watching the show, so, not a good analogy (at least for me)

Comment

O'Brien was always in the show.
      Last edited by Elite Anubis Guard; 01 March 2007, 03:44 PM.
      sigpic
      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

it won't work with stargate ...star trek did a much better job at writing there characters.
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Tarot cards or crystal ball?

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
            O'Brien was always in the show.
            Like McKay and/or Dr. Weir, who made their first appearances on SG1.

Comment

They came from Star Trek: The Next Generation, not Star Trek: Enterprise. It made sense for O'Brien, because he was a recurring character on TNG. When they moved Worf over to DS9, there were concerns, because he had already been a main character on TNG for seven years. Fortunately, his addition worked out great.

McKay was in 3 episodes of SG-1 before moving over to SG:A. He's the O'Brien of Atlantis. Carter was a regular on SG-1 for it's whole run before moving to Atlantis. She's the Worf of Atlantis.

I'm looking forward to Tapping joining the cast. I think it'll be beneficial to the show. However, adding more than one character is too much.

Comment

Teal'c (Chris Judge) is making an apearance in one episode. Micheal Shanks probably won't I heard he's moved to Los Angeles to "concentrate on his career"
                sigpic

Comment

I actually don't look at it as 'working', I look at it as more of it 'should' happen because things happening in SGA bleeds into SG1 (ie Earth gate people). A lot of people from what I'm reading want them to be separate (which I agree with and can see happening only for a limited time really, the altantis ex is ridiculously dependent on earth military, weaponry, and general products).

The only real way for that to happen is for the Atlantis Ex. to be lost in space. Resulting with various anomolies thrown out, 1)no one knows of the stargate on Atlantis (since it's the only one that dials earth in the PG); 2) the wraith don' tknow where they are; 3) Weir is able to coordinate her resources in the PG in a way which makes her independently strong of earth's services and keep the enemies at bay(which is unlikely).

If those elements are not in sight there is always the chance that someone from SG1, a seasoned explorer in similar situations (from SG1) will come into the picture. It just will happen for various reasons. The first when the Wraith learned that the gate to Earth ( a new rich feeding ground) happened all the way back in S1. The second being Michael (thank you Weir), when he finds out not only that the Atlantis people are around, what their doing with the retro virus and the way to get to earth through a ship.

Well, in those two instances we see that who then is called on to help with mediating the affects of these problems and who is first contact on earth---yeah SG1 people are called on. It makes sense that when earthlings are threatened by impact of outside forces these guys play a roll. It's just inevitable and makes sense. And let's just say if I had my choice of what I've seen of the Ori and the Wraith, I'll take the Ori over the bloody Wraith any day.
                  Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Carter is already coming over for 14 eps. She's also on the main cast for S4.

They've killed off Beckett, reducing Weir to recurring among other things. There is simply no way to bring on any of the other major characters without it causing trouble for the show.

Teal'c comes, then Ronon would need to go. Vala comes, then Teyla would probably go back to her people. Mitchell, I doubt could work with him & Shep in the team, especially with Ronon also there.

Carter is the only real one who would belong in Atlantis. She's a technology expert, Atlantis still hasn't had hardly anything that's came out of it yet. So all the ZPM's, Drones etc along with all the other advanced Lantean tech is waiting there to be discovered. Not to mention the Asuran Replicators are the new main enemies, she's probably the most qualified person on Earth to help with that problem also. So if it were real life, she'd be the only real one shipped out to Atlantis.

Jackson would probably go as well, doubtful he'd really help with anything in Atlantis other than translations. In 'Arthur's Mantle' he said the tech was over his head & he wished Sam could read Ancient.

Secondary characters like Walter, Siler, Dr.Lee etc I'd imagine would fit in easily enough without any problems.

Landry may even fit in as a new leader of the expedition, although if they were to bring in someone, I'd much rather it be Col.Caldwell.

So secondary characters would be okay, as they wouldn't get much screen time.

Bringing over big names they really couldn't do. No only would it mean increasing the production budget to bring the bigger names over but it would also probably mean losing a character in return, or at least taking a severe amount of screen time away from an Atlantis member.

If it was only recurring, such as a couple of eps per year. Then I doubt there would be any problems in people accepting that, considering SG-1 will no longer be on as a show any longer. SG-1 teaming with with SGA-1 would probably appeal to many fans as long as it was only once/twice per season.

So I think Carter will be the only major character coming over regularly (at least for S4 anyhow) to Atlantis for SG-1.

Comment

Remember, they brought Worf on to DS9 because their ratings sucked and they need a boost. I personally loved it when they brought Worf to DS9.
                      sigpic

Comment

I don't think using DS9 as a comparion works.

O'Brien in TNG was just a barely recurring character. He could have been done by any generic crewmember but instead they went with him making him more, but it wasn't until DS9 started that O'Brien as a character could really be expanded upon, revised and made something more.

Worf is sort of the same. It wasn't until DS9 that Worf as a klingon could be explored and developed. We saw him as a warrior, a ship commander, a leader and at times even a sort of politican.

Unlike Carter, she's already been through all that and there is nothing Atlantis could really do to redefine the character or expand upon. She's been developed for 10 seasons, yet O'Brien never really came into his own until DS9 and a completely new side to Worf also was created for DS9. For Carter, there is nothing. I would expect her to just end up being someone for McKay to fight with, like taking over scene time that could be used for Zelenka or an original SGA character.

sigpic

Comment

This may have been answered already, so sorry if its a dupe. Anyway, O'Brien was part of DS9 from the beginning and when Worf was brought on board, he was added to the show without making any changes to the existing cast. Odo was already the security chief of DS9 so Worf took on a different role on the station (don't exactly remember what that was, tho ). I'm not sure how the DS9 fans would have reacted if the same thing that is happening to SGA had happened to DS9 as a result of Worf joining the show. Luckily, they never had to find out. LOL.
                          sigpic

Comment

Tactical adviser or something.
                            sigpic
                            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                              Tactical adviser or something.
                              Yeah, I just checked Wikipedia and they list him as the strategic operations officer. Sounds about right.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X