• Show
Clear All

NBC yanks Stargate site!

ARGH!!!!!!!!!
    http://sg-atlantis.emedian.net/

NEW ATLANTIS

July 6, 2004 - February 28, 2007

Thank you for three wonderful years!

NBC Universal has forbidden us to release high quality photography for Stargate Atlantis and Stargate SG-1, so we decided to close the site. This was also our only option.

This was the BEST site ever for Stargate Atlantis, and more recently SG1, shots. Stupid idiots at NBC. Now if we get any photos, they'll be a few inches big with somebody's fan site name emblazoned across it.

Wonder if this is just the beginning...

Sigh.

Very sad......

Seems to be the week for the "big boys" flexing their collective monopolising muscles doesn't it?....

Deeds xx
    sigpic
    Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
    MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
      ARGH!!!!!!!!!
      http://sg-atlantis.emedian.net/

NEW ATLANTIS

July 6, 2004 - February 28, 2007

Thank you for three wonderful years!

NBC Universal has forbidden us to release high quality photography for Stargate Atlantis and Stargate SG-1, so we decided to close the site. This was also our only option.

This was the BEST site ever for Stargate Atlantis, and more recently SG1, shots. Stupid idiots at NBC. Now if we get any photos, they'll be a few inches big with somebody's fan site name emblazoned across it.

Wonder if this is just the beginning...

Sigh.
      Yes i just found this out today sad i hope that gate world is not next
      sigpic
      Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
      Metal gear fan

Comment

The site had to go as it exists solely in a pictoral way.

The same probably won't happen with GW, as it's informative and has masses of original content.

Hope someone mentions this to Joe at his blog.
        sigpic
        Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

What...What am I missing here? What does NBC have to do with Stargate?
          sigpic
          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Bummer, that was my favorite site to go to for big, high-res promo shots.

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
            What...What am I missing here? What does NBC have to do with Stargate?
            NBC owns skiffy which apparently allows them to have some sort of say on what is released on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
              The site had to go as it exists solely in a pictoral way.

The same probably won't happen with GW, as it's informative and has masses of original content.

Hope someone mentions this to Joe at his blog.
              I don't know why you think the 'site had to go'. Just becuase it was images only is not reason to yank it. There are TONS of sites out there which are photos only. It would be okay IF SciFi/MGM/NBC actually used these shots on the web, etc.

Wonder if someone like Creation didn't like it, as I know lots of folks did up their own 8x10s from those images to have actors sign and not buy the standard, oh, say, a dozen shots offered at cons. I'll miss Emedian a lot...

I don't think Joe knows anything about it and probably (dodging imminent flames) doesn't care either.

Comment

While they are certainly within their legal right to do so, I don't understand why NBC would kill off a fansite like this. Sad and unnecessary. What did the site contain that was so bad, anyway?
                Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Publicity photos that I'm sure they would have to go through Scifi to get anyway...?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig View Post
                    While they are certainly within their legal right to do so, I don't understand why NBC would kill off a fansite like this. Sad and unnecessary. What did the site contain that was so bad, anyway?
                    Well, you can't just let websites like that go around making you look silly by allowing interested fans access to promo pics when you, the network that airs the show, haven't bothered to do any promotion yourself. Heck, you let people start getting away with behaviour like that and you might find people taking an interest in the show and watching it!

You can't have websites giving the show free publicity after you've spent all that money on taking pretty cast and episode promo pics that you then never release for the fans to see!

[/sarcasm]
                    sigpic

Comment

Prion - you're misinterpreting my post:

If NCB told GateWorld to remove hi-res pics, GateWorld would survive as it has a lot of textual content

But with Emedian, which is comprised 99% of pictures, there was no way it could remain feasable as a site, which is a pity
                      sigpic

Comment

I don't see what the problem is.

NBC doesn't want illegal pcitures up, so some site that only had illegal pictures closed.

Comment

Yes, but they had to have gotten them from somewhere, and as they run sites for shows on several networks they must have connections to the shows.

I was under the impression that the studio sent hi-res shots to emedian, in the same manner that most interviews and other stuff go to gateworld.
                          sigpic

Comment

Dark Thoughts, New Atlantis's BSG sister site, has also been closed down. Though the other emedian sites are still up as the shows are not owned by NBC.

What the heck is wrong with NBC? why are they pulling the plug on their top franchises...
                            OrangeSwirl

My Graphix LJ || scifi_abc

Comment

It would seem Scifi is disgarding Stargate. I hope Atlantis finds a new home...
                              Last edited by Elite Anubis Guard; 01 March 2007, 03:19 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X