PDA

View Full Version : Are they stupid

Lord Chris
February 28th, 2007, 08:38 AM
In Atlantis they have most of the city explored and why can't they have a couple of days where a tem made up of 2 security personel, medical officer,scientist and they would be able to find things they could use to fight the wraith

Buba uognarf
February 28th, 2007, 09:02 AM
In Atlantis they have most of the city explored and why can't they have a couple of days where a tem made up of 2 security personel, medical officer,scientist and they would be able to find things they could use to fight the wraith

searching atlanitis is in mckays words...like searching every building in manhatten *s* no small task

P-90_177
February 28th, 2007, 09:35 AM
yep. plus they have done a fair bit of exploring.

Skydiver
February 28th, 2007, 09:58 AM
it's also a plot device.

once the city is fully explored, well that's it. no more hidden surprises, no more plot twists or endangering finds. but if the city is slowly explored, they they have plenty of room to find the next hidden danger to kick start a money saving bottle episode :)

-PITBULL-
February 28th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Well after 3 years , they should have a big deal of Atlantis covered .... I know if i was living on some world or in some Ancient city and knew it had tons of technology that i have never seen before i would want to explore tell i found it all , It would be like Christmas to me ...

ussrelativity
February 28th, 2007, 10:54 AM
it's also a plot device.

once the city is fully explored, well that's it. no more hidden surprises, no more plot twists or endangering finds. but if the city is slowly explored, they they have plenty of room to find the next hidden danger to kick start a money saving bottle episode :)

Some bottle episodes like "Hot Zone" and "Tao of Rodney" really gave the good kind of fillers for the show.

vaberella
February 28th, 2007, 01:52 PM
searching atlanitis is in mckays words...like searching every building in manhatten *s* no small task

No it isn't...being the *born* and bred New Yorker that I am, it takes about 12 hours to walk from the top of Manhattan to the bottom of it (yeah, I've done it out of pure boredom...but then you're looking into buildings at each stop you go, you possibly have about 5-7 years of work on your hands. Sure if the show had 7 some odd years I say go for it, but they live in a galaxy of about...hundreds and millions of planets; need food; and we as viewers need entertainment---they need to break that up all that exploring bit.

I mean imagine turning on the tv and going, "What high-jinx will the Atlantis Team get into on Atlantis tonight? Zelenka tonight falls through a whole that leads to a secret library that may have the answers to all their questions or is it a lie?! McKay will come to his rescue." "Today McKay will once again find himself walk the precious line between human and ancient." "Previously on Hot Zone---blah blah entity. Another entity which resembles a giraffe with a cats head and a "laugh" of a hyena has run loose on Atlantis. Will Sheppards team prevail?!"

After a while of that, I'd shoot myself. :D

AlexD
February 28th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Another entity which resembles a giraffe with a cats head and a "laugh" of a hyena has run loose on Atlantis. Will Sheppards team prevail?!"

Me too, though that one would be quite an episode to watch! LOL! :D

prion
February 28th, 2007, 05:03 PM

Simply because the writers have let them find viruses, frozen people, but no useful weapons, which would be nice, for once.

cshawzye
February 28th, 2007, 05:21 PM
There's also the issue of using the things that they find. Just because they find everything doesn’t mean they’ll be able to use everything that they find, useful or not. So why have them go through to find these things when they're not going to be useful for anything at all ... There goes the episodes of discovery. And if they've found it there is no way to accidently stumble across it and have it affect anyone in a detrimental way.

It'd be great to have the entire city fully explored and know every secret that lies within it ... But if that was the case, the show would be over.

RepliHawk
February 28th, 2007, 05:41 PM
It'd be great to have the entire city fully explored and know every secret that lies within it ... But if that was the case, the show would be over.

And we dont want the show ever to be over

-PITBULL-
February 28th, 2007, 06:56 PM
And we dont want the show ever to be over

why would the show be over ... To me they still have a WHOLE GALAXY to Explore as well as Atlantis ... So yes they could take some time and Explore the City , and find things there ... They still have the Whole Galaxy that isnt explored ...

Look at Sg-1 , they had 10 great years and yet they found nothing , and still never explored there whole galaxy ...

Also think of the Atlantis Data Base , The Ancients must have all there buildings in ABC Order , from what they where doing to what is in these rooms .. Unless there is some Wraith or Asrun that is sleeping for some reason ..

Sicktem
February 28th, 2007, 07:01 PM
They have a few hundred people in a city large enough to probably hold millions. As someone else previously mentioned, think of it like Manhattan. A team of four people doing nothing, but searching through it would spend a lifetime and still not find everything as you have to go through every building and every room. Even if you could try eliminate housing from your search (not everything is marked and you'd have to assume people didn't bring useful research home with them) just think of how long it would take you to go through an empty hospital or a empty lab which both are many stories high and filled with endless rooms. Now imagine that you're from the 2nd century BCE and you don't know what any of it is so if you press the wrong button you could release a virus someone was studying or you could turn on a machine which generates radiation. Every piece of technology in Atlantis is over 50 million years more advanced then their entire society and the writing there is unreadable to all but a few. Going through it all takes time and care. When they are hasty about something, they get in trouble.

Also, it's important to note that until recently large portions of the city were flooded so they were cut off from a lot of things. So, searching the city becomes all that more complicated when you're cut off from a lot of areas by flooding. However, even if they could access everything at once they are not going to find much that would be of great use against the Wraith. The Ancients failed at any experiments to try to use science to defeat them which is why they were forced to retreat to Earth. There may be some things which will help them or that could be adapted so they're useful, but I doubt anything would so overwhelmingly helpful to them that they need stop their main focuses and just go from room to room instead of stopping to figure out what things are - They have access to a lot of things as is which they are currently working on, mainly to help Earth and just to expand their knowledge in general. They have the database, they have technology which they still don't fully understand, (people are working on jumpers, people are working on improving their computer interface, etc) and they have access to many labs which they researching. Meanwhile, a lot of people are needed to just run the city and a lot of their focus goes to offworld missions.

cshawzye
February 28th, 2007, 07:49 PM
why would the show be over ... To me they still have a WHOLE GALAXY to Explore as well as Atlantis ... So yes they could take some time and Explore the City , and find things there ... They still have the Whole Galaxy that isnt explored ...

Look at Sg-1 , they had 10 great years and yet they found nothing , and still never explored there whole galaxy ...

Also think of the Atlantis Data Base , The Ancients must have all there buildings in ABC Order , from what they where doing to what is in these rooms .. Unless there is some Wraith or Asrun that is sleeping for some reason ..

Interesting post. I didn't even think of the Ancient Database when thinking about them exploring the city. But it does contain mass amounts of information and not just information pertaining to the city. It has information about the entire galaxy, doesn't it? Hmm, be interesting to learn more about some of the things housed in the database. Probably a good catalyst for a bunch of episodes.

I was also thinking about the power requirements. With the city as big as it is would the expedition have enough power to keep a city of it's size up and fully operational? Even if they could get every nook and corner explored and sorted out I doubt they'd have enough power to continue to study all of the things they'd find.

-PITBULL-
February 28th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Interesting post. I didn't even think of the Ancient Database when thinking about them exploring the city. But it does contain mass amounts of information and not just information pertaining to the city. It has information about the entire galaxy, doesn't it? Hmm, be interesting to learn more about some of the things housed in the database. Probably a good catalyst for a bunch of episodes.

I was also thinking about the power requirements. With the city as big as it is would the expedition have enough power to keep a city of it's size up and fully operational? Even if they could get every nook and corner explored and sorted out I doubt they'd have enough power to continue to study all of the things they'd fine.

Well for there POWER SUPPLY , i dont think with One ZPM they have anuff power to do much of anything ... Now if they had a powersupply , say 3 fully charged ZPM's then yes they could ... Yet they have to find the ones worth Studding at this time ... There could be thousand to millions of stuff that they need to studdy , and with out knowng what everthing does , or where the Ancients where in there studdies then some of these things might have to be put off for a while ...

What would be nice is if they cold find away to use the Data Base to find the important studdies that the Ancients where doing , and some of the things that they might be able to use ... Would take time , but would be mroe worth it rahter then going threw ever door on Atlantis and finding something that isnt no good for there use at this time ...

The DATA BASE would have everthing they need to learn about the Ancients , all they really need to do is find something of intrest and go to that location , from there they could study it to find out if its worth there time to keep studding ...

Sicktem
February 28th, 2007, 08:28 PM
I was also thinking about the power requirements. With the city as big as it is would the expedition have enough power to keep a city of it's size up and fully operational? Even if they could get every nook and corner explored and sorted out I doubt they'd have enough power to continue to study all of the things they'd find.

In Tao of Rodney they found the device because the Ancients deverted power to various places and forced them to run around shutting everything off in order to save power (Mckay: You know, we're trekking all over the city shutting down everything the Ancients activated while they were oh-so-briefly in control so that we can stop the power from draining our one precious ZPM). So yes, even if they had enough people to go through everything in a short amount of time the energy requirements would probably drain their ZPM or at the very least make them vulnable in an attack since they depend on finding new ones to replace depleted ones and therefore need to save every bit of power. Also, Rodney said there were a lot of systems that could only be accessed with 3 ZPMs powering the city. So, even if they went through whatever they could with 1 ZPM powering the city, there would still be more to be discovered.

The DATA BASE would have everthing they need to learn about the Ancients , all they really need to do is find something of intrest and go to that location , from there they could study it to find out if its worth there time to keep studding ...

It seems like they did a lot of their experiements off the grid. In that I mean it appears as if each lab has it's own computer where the scientist(s) working there wrote about their research. They can access the main database from there, but their research doesn't appear to be in the database. Whenever they've found something (the nanites, the "game," the whale research, etc) they've always had to learn about it from the room they discovered the reseach in. Although the nanites were a special situation is that was purposely done entirely off the grid.

They haven't fully explained it, but to me it appears as if the database is where they have stored all their (completed) knowledge that they have gained in over the millions of years. Where as labs are places to work on new things and so they do not reach the database until they are proven and tested. The Ancients were a scientific race an so I can fully imagine them being allowed to just go somewhere and start working on something without having to register what they are doing in the database. At best it might say, Janus, working in lab 302, but he proves (with his time traveling puddle jumper) that one can have access to resources, open space, and a lot of free time without having to inform others of what he is up. Since he is the first known Ancient to sucessfully create a stable device to time travel he obviously would've had a problem working on that in secret for all that time if the Ancients required scientists to register what they were doing.

Katiekat
February 28th, 2007, 08:31 PM
In Atlantis they have most of the city explored and why can't they have a couple of days where a tem made up of 2 security personel, medical officer,scientist and they would be able to find things they could use to fight the wraithWell, they did find the reps in one of the rooms by mistake. There might be more but got the feeling that was about it but who knows. Rodney said there were to many rooms etc to search. Would be interesting if they could do that . :) :)

Katiekat
February 28th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Well after 3 years , they should have a big deal of Atlantis covered .... I know if i was living on some world or in some Ancient city and knew it had tons of technology that i have never seen before i would want to explore tell i found it all , It would be like Christmas to me ...Yes, it would be for most of us. :cool: I think though like someone has already said is that every room is searched then not much else to do there. Best to leave a few untouched for another time when they might want to reveil something just found. :) :)

cshawzye
February 28th, 2007, 08:41 PM
What would be nice is if they cold find away to use the Data Base to find the important studdies that the Ancients where doing , and some of the things that they might be able to use ... Would take time , but would be mroe worth it rahter then going threw ever door on Atlantis and finding something that isnt no good for there use at this time ...

Hmm, neat idea. It's also possible that while looking for this specific thing they found in the database they could trip over or discover something that they weren't expecting to find. It could definitely spur on a couple of episodes at least.

Also, Rodney said that there are a lot of systems that can't even be accessed without all 3 ZPMs, so even if they powered all that they could with one ZPM there would be things they still didn't know.

Makes sense. As well as stuff that they just wouldn't be able to start-up for lack of power. It seems like a delicate balance between how much power they can use and how much they can explore. Because there are also power requirements for the things they brought along with them from earth, not just with things they find in the city.

Katiekat
February 28th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Simply because the writers have let them find viruses, frozen people, but no useful weapons, which would be nice, for once.I think the ancients didn't use to many useful weapons to begin with. They had the chair and some other high tech stuff on their ships I asume. I think they just gave up cause to many wraith. It would be interesting to find though if they exist.:)

Katiekat
February 28th, 2007, 08:47 PM
And we dont want the show ever to be overTrue if everything was searched there and nothing found or little found they would have to scramble to find something if they wanted to do something about the ancients tech. There are other things to that could hold interest though. I think so far we have just scratched the surface.:)

mikeroq
February 28th, 2007, 08:49 PM
In response to the exploring the city, its stated in 10x3 (The Pegasus Project), that they have explored around half the city.

-PITBULL-
February 28th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Yes, it would be for most of us. :cool: I think though like someone has already said is that every room is searched then not much else to do there. Best to leave a few untouched for another time when they might want to reveil something just found. :) :)
Yeah i do agree with everone that says that they should leave room for more storylines in the future ...

Yet look at it this way , SG-1 lasted 10 great years ... SG-A could also lat 10 Great Years , yet we are getting ready to have them shoot the 4th season , and yet they still only have about 50% of Atlantis that has been looked over ...

Now whats going to happen 2 more years down the road , Hey guys lets start looking in this section of the City ... or whats going to happen say 4 years , hey guys we have been here for 7 years now and only got say 60% of the city looked over ...

Yeah it sets it up for future storylines , but at the sametime they have a WHOLE Galaxy that needs to be looked over , or could find better things that the Ancients might have left and the Wraith didnt destroy or fully destroy ... I love the OFFWORLD Storyliens , the ones they find some great technology that they cant take back with them , rathe then finding stuff that they get to keep , yet dont know nothing about ...

Also looking at the Ancient Data Base , they could easly find out whats on and or in Atlantis , Yet they make the Ancients look like they where DUMBASSES and couldnt make at index of there Data Base so future Ancients could find things with easy ...

Sicktem
February 28th, 2007, 08:58 PM
I think the ancients didn't use to many useful weapons to begin with. They had the chair and some other high tech stuff on their ships I asume. I think they just gave up cause to many wraith. It would be interesting to find though if they exist.:)

They might find hand weapons in the city, (I'm inclined to think they packed them all up and took them back to Earth) but as far as a weapon capable of taking out a ship...It doesn't seem likely. They should be able to access such a weapon through the main systems, just like drones, if it existed. So, to find other such weapons they likely need to look outside of the city to things like the defense platform which fired an energy weapon or perhaps an outpost designed specifically to create/test new weapons (Atlantis was a populated city first and so that would not have been a good place to unleash a dangerous new weapon capable of mass destruction).

Also looking at the Ancient Data Base , they could easly find out whats on and or in Atlantis , Yet they make the Ancients look like they where DUMBASSES and couldnt make at index of there Data Base so future Ancients could find things with easy ...

Imagine you walked into an empty Manhattan and found a computer with access to the internet. The language and the system of organization was completely foreign to you. Would you easily be able to find google and locate what you want? I sometimes have a hard time finding exactly what I want even after going through several pages because it misunderstands my keywords and brings other things up. However, imagine if the internet was millions of years old and information was being added to it during that entire time instead of what it currently is. How much harder do you think it would be to find something?

Meanwhile, do you expect to be able to find out what they were doing in a certain lab or a hospital from the internet or would you have to go there and access their private computers? Does the use of private computers make someone stupid? How hard is it for the next generation of Ancient to look into the lab of an Ancient who just died was doing? Should they plan for what might happen if they have to leave the entire city and future generations have to come back later even though they have lived there for millions of years in two galaxies without a problem? Should we plan for what might happen if we all have to leave Manhattan and the people at Acme Labs aren't around to teach future workers the ropes?

vaberella
February 28th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Simply because the writers have let them find viruses, frozen people, but no useful weapons, which would be nice, for once.

What weapons? I ask this because in SGA (Maybe in SG1 the ancients had more weapons, you can clarify that for me.) I haven't seen the ancients have any useful weapons (hand held) they seem to have just super powers (remembering Chaya). The only weapons I've seen has been for ships. And if the ancients did have useful weapons they wouldn't have run away to the Milky Way in the first place.

Although I must say, SGA seems to be on living on Wraith weapons they've stolen and possibly Satedan scraps along with some C4 and P90s (which never seems to run out of bullets).

vaberella
February 28th, 2007, 10:07 PM
In response to the exploring the city, its stated in 10x3 (The Pegasus Project), that they have explored around half the city.

They've seen half the city? Crud, I really have to watch SG1! Did you get to see a toilet? Now, I know this may sound like a silly question; but I want to see the bathroom. I get they have a mess hall and I'll assume there's a kitchen somehwere, but none of the bedrooms give me the impression there is a toilet. What does an Ancient toilet look like? I mean with their super powers and the fact they created humans---do they need a toilet? That being said where do the Atlantis Ex go? Okay I have to ask JM, I can't bloody sleep now.

I need to see what an ancient toilet looks like. I wonder if it's like a plane's toilet...:confused:

-PITBULL-
February 28th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Imagine you walked into an empty Manhattan and found a computer with access to the internet. The language and the system of organization was completely foreign to you. Would you easily be able to find google and locate what you want? I sometimes have a hard time finding exactly what I want even after going through several pages because it misunderstands my keywords and brings other things up. However, imagine if the internet was millions of years old and information was being added to it during that entire time instead of what it currently is. How much harder do you think it would be to find something?

Meanwhile, do you expect to be able to find out what they were doing in a certain lab or a hospital from the internet or would you have to go there and access their private computers? Does the use of private computers make someone stupid? How hard is it for the next generation of Ancient to look into the lab of an Ancient who just died was doing? Should they plan for what might happen if they have to leave the entire city and future generations have to come back later even though they have lived there for millions of years in two galaxies without a problem? Should we plan for what might happen if we all have to leave Manhattan and the people at Acme Labs aren't around to teach future workers the ropes?

Yeah i get what your saying .... Be let me ask you this ... how come evertime and this has happened alot , They find a room ... 5 mins later McKay comes in there and gives us all the details on that room FROM HIS PC TABLET , Yet they have no idea about the room tell they find it ...

McKay also finds out that the Ancients where exploring the LIFE in the Water , Come on if McKay could find info about a Whale or a Fish , why cant he find info about a room that they havnt been in yet ... Also most of the crew are there to learn about the Ancients , Meaning that after 3 years if they havnt learned there alphabets or how they write there numbers , then sorry they should be fired and never be allowed to work on Atlantis again .... Yes i also know it takes time to figure out there alphabets , yet Daniel did most of this stuff during the SG-1 Years ... Remember he had to find the LOST CITY that was written in Ancient ... Dont you think they would have looked at his notes for this stuff ...

PG15
February 28th, 2007, 10:28 PM
They've seen half the city? Crud, I really have to watch SG1! Did you get to see a toilet? Now, I know this may sound like a silly question; but I want to see the bathroom. I get they have a mess hall and I'll assume there's a kitchen somehwere, but none of the bedrooms give me the impression there is a toilet. What does an Ancient toilet look like? I mean with their super powers and the fact they created humans---do they need a toilet? That being said where do the Atlantis Ex go? Okay I have to ask JM, I can't bloody sleep now.

I need to see what an ancient toilet looks like. I wonder if it's like a plane's toilet...:confused:

Why would they need bathrooms? Everyone knows that advanced humans have no use for those things. ;)

-PITBULL-
February 28th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Why would they need bathrooms? Everyone knows that advanced humans have no use for those things. ;)

So thats why they really Ascended , They held it to long ...LOL

vaberella
February 28th, 2007, 10:48 PM

Sure thing, so then what about the earthlings---their far from advanced, are they throwing their defecation off the balcony ala 16th century Europe? :D
---------------

Really I figured that the rooms didn't have an ensuite since we've seen John, Teyla, Rodney, and Ronon's rooms. That being said are the bathrooms then communal? If they are communal divided by sex? What does a lantean shower look like?

I keep getting Jack Carter's house in Eureka (the show) coming to mind and his shower didn't have water, it was like you stand under air for a period of time and voila you're clean.

Katiekat
February 28th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Why would they need bathrooms? Everyone knows that advanced humans have no use for those things. ;)True, but I think with the small budget and lack of time for less important things such as this they just chose not to show these things. Oh too I imagine even the ancients had to have such things. They were not that advanced. haha:) :)

Katiekat
February 28th, 2007, 11:10 PM
So thats why they really Ascended , They held it to long ...LOLLOL :) :)

Sicktem
February 28th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Yeah i get what your saying .... Be let me ask you this ... how come evertime and this has happened alot , They find a room ... 5 mins later McKay comes in there and gives us all the details on that room FROM HIS PC TABLET , Yet they have no idea about the room tell they find it ...

I don't recall the specifics of every incident, but I do recall him pulling out a wire from the tablet and hooking it into something various times. Which goes along with what I said about each lab having private computers (they've mentioned a couple times about how different computer systems have different levels of access).

McKay also finds out that the Ancients where exploring the LIFE in the Water , Come on if McKay could find info about a Whale or a Fish , why cant he find info about a room that they havnt been in yet ...

Whales were searchable within the database. Information on ongoing scientific experiments, however, does not appear to be in the database as I said. It appears that they kept all that information about lab experients on private computers within each lab and they did their work without reporting to station heads who in turn inputed a basic report of what they're up to into the database. Again, that may seem strange to our culture, but I can understand how a culture that is 50+ million years ahead of us would be different. This would be akin to how I can go to wiki and look up whales, but no matter what I do on the internet I can't get a list of what everyone is doing on their private computers (which are in their own homes/offices). Then try to narrow it down by importance. I have to physically go to each computer, turn it on, and run a search from there to see what someone was doing. You're thinking of the city too much as a big company where by the manager keeps track of what the employees are up to and where each employee has to give a progress report on their project status. However, we're talking about a completely alien race here who is 50 million years ahead of us in their evolution and has a completely different way of thinking/doing things.

Also most of the crew are there to learn about the Ancients , Meaning that after 3 years if they havnt learned there alphabets or how they write there numbers , then sorry they should be fired and never be allowed to work on Atlantis again .... Yes i also know it takes time to figure out there alphabets , yet Daniel did most of this stuff during the SG-1 Years ... Remember he had to find the LOST CITY that was written in Ancient ... Dont you think they would have looked at his notes for this stuff ...

Daniel is a linguist and translates things for the technical people like Sam. Weir is also a linguist and translates various Ancient writings when the need arises, but she can't perfectly translate all words automatically and they often need to wait for her to get there for them to do so (they sometimes ignore that part to keep the plot going just like they ususally ignore spoken language barriers). They don't really go very far into the language aspect, but based on that, one can assume that there are various linguists stationed in the city who work with the scientists (we also don't know if their computers help at all with the translation process). It's unreasonable to expect someone to pick up Ancient even though they haven't spent a lifetime training their mind to understand new languages. People study and specialize in different fields for a reason - Being a scientist and a linguist makes someone a jack of all trades and is unbelievable.

garhkal
March 1st, 2007, 09:37 PM
Yeah it sets it up for future storylines , but at the sametime they have a WHOLE Galaxy that needs to be looked over ,

When they are not trying to save their butts..

Ehecatl
March 7th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Every thing uses power and power they don't have a lot of.

Major Tyler
March 7th, 2007, 07:34 PM
In Atlantis they have most of the city explored and why can't they have a couple of days where a tem made up of 2 security personel, medical officer,scientist and they would be able to find things they could use to fight the wraithWell, the Ancients sure didn't "find" very many things with which to fight the Wraith, and they've had the city for a bit longer than we have.

ussrelativity
March 7th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Well, the Ancients sure didn't "find" very many things with which to fight the Wraith, and they've had the city for a bit longer than we have.

Such as millions upon millions compared to our three.

Lorr
March 7th, 2007, 07:49 PM
They may have searched half the city, but that could mean they've only done a survey, labs, living quarters, structurally sound or not, anything obvious that could be used to blow up the various bad guys. They would have to do a quick survey first to find the places of interest to go back to and research in depth as they had the power, time and personnel available.

As Sicktem said, they probably didn't have the Dewey decimal system, so database searches would be like googling something and getting 2 million hits to read through. Local terminals probably are geared towards the research being done in a particular lab, and probably have access to limited to the lab and maybe saving to certain "drives" on the mainframe.

And, since Rodney screams at anyone who touches things before he clears them (see Sunday), the going would be rather slow.

AlphaBlu
March 8th, 2007, 03:58 AM
Another entity which resembles a giraffe with a cats head and a "laugh" of a hyena has run loose on Atlantis. Will Sheppards team prevail?!"

Sounds pretty interesting, in a demented 'let's-write-a-script-whilst-high' kinda way.

BYE

Mitchell82
March 8th, 2007, 04:52 AM
They may have searched half the city, but that could mean they've only done a survey, labs, living quarters, structurally sound or not, anything obvious that could be used to blow up the various bad guys. They would have to do a quick survey first to find the places of interest to go back to and research in depth as they had the power, time and personnel available.

As Sicktem said, they probably didn't have the Dewey decimal system, so database searches would be like googling something and getting 2 million hits to read through. Local terminals probably are geared towards the research being done in a particular lab, and probably have access to limited to the lab and maybe saving to certain "drives" on the mainframe.

And, since Rodney screams at anyone who touches things before he clears them (see Sunday), the going would be rather slow.

Good point. I'm sure there is still plenty to be found and plenty for Rodney to screw up.

Pharaoh Atem
March 8th, 2007, 07:55 AM
it's also a plot device.

the bad part is that TPTB don't want to explore the city anymore at least from what i felt after watching PP.:(

PG15
March 8th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Have you seen the second half of the season yet?

They do quite a lot of exploring in Echoes, The Game, Sunday, and Tao of Rodney

Pharaoh Atem
March 8th, 2007, 11:59 AM

true :o

ussrelativity
March 8th, 2007, 12:00 PM

Who knows what kind of exploration will be possible at the very beginning of Season 4.

Especially with a drifting city ship

generaloneill
March 8th, 2007, 12:09 PM
No it isn't...being the *born* and bred New Yorker that I am, it takes about 12 hours to walk from the top of Manhattan to the bottom of it (yeah, I've done it out of pure boredom...but then you're looking into buildings at each stop you go, you possibly have about 5-7 years of work on your hands. Sure if the show had 7 some odd years I say go for it, but they live in a galaxy of about...hundreds and millions of planets; need food; and we as viewers need entertainment---they need to break that up all that exploring bit.

I mean imagine turning on the tv and going, "What high-jinx will the Atlantis Team get into on Atlantis tonight? Zelenka tonight falls through a whole that leads to a secret library that may have the answers to all their questions or is it a lie?! McKay will come to his rescue." "Today McKay will once again find himself walk the precious line between human and ancient." "Previously on Hot Zone---blah blah entity. Another entity which resembles a giraffe with a cats head and a "laugh" of a hyena has run loose on Atlantis. Will Sheppards team prevail?!"

walking from the top of manhattan to the bottom of manhattan is a far cry from searching every building in manhattan :mckay:

Mitchell82
March 8th, 2007, 01:13 PM
walking from the top of manhattan to the bottom of manhattan is a far cry from searching every building in manhattan :mckay:

No kidding. It'd take a long time. If anyone has that much time on their hands...............:D

Mitchell82
March 8th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Who knows what kind of exploration will be possible at the very beginning of Season 4.

No kidding.

jenks
March 8th, 2007, 02:24 PM
To be honest, I find exploration of the city is quite boring, I'd rather they were exploring the Pegasus galaxy, actually finding things out like in the early seasons of SG-1. Then again, maybe it's just that the writers just haven't thought of anything interesting for them to find...

Pharaoh Atem
March 8th, 2007, 02:26 PM

drift city ship drift;)

vaberella
March 9th, 2007, 07:50 AM

Yeah, I said as much in my first sentence. I thought 5-7 years as an arbitrary estimate was a lead.:mckay:

freetoken
March 9th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Speaking of exploring Atlantis, I don't remember them ever showing (in an episode) any bathrooms in the place; have they? Seems pretty important.

So is the whole sewar/potable water issue. Really the backbone of any city.

Also not shown has been anything relating to children. Did not the Lantians procreate? Are there any nurseries? IMO this lack of children raises some serious issues.

How about kitchens? Any recipes on file?

In other words, when will the writers explore LIFE of the Lantians; certainly there has to be some good stories in there somewhere.

wise one
March 10th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Speaking of exploring Atlantis, I don't remember them ever showing (in an episode) any bathrooms in the place; have they? Seems pretty important.

Also not shown has been anything relating to children. Did not the Lantians procreate? Are there any nurseries? IMO this lack of children raises some serious issues.

In other words, when will the writers explore LIFE of the Lantians; certainly there has to be some good stories in there somewhere.

you would think that the control room is one of the importants places to be and operate and yet the ancients didnt put any bathroom near the area.

vaberella
March 10th, 2007, 06:59 PM

Yeah, I asked about the bathroom and the kitchen.

As for the Kitchen, I'm giving them a pass cause I see the lunch room and a table where people can gather lunch, so I'll assume there's a spot where they cook around.

Now for the bathroom, if you look at The Return I, when their leaving Atlantis, check out when John goes to see Weir in her room. If you look behind her, you'll find two doorways. So I was like, fine, I'll assume one to be a closet, another to be a bathroom. I'm still curious though as to what the bathroom looks like and if it's in any way similar to the bathroom found in Jack Carter's home from Eureka.

As for the kids, no talk of Atlantian kids, so far in kids ascending we ever saw was in Epiphany, so it would be interesting if the Ancients themselves reproduce, I think they do, but we haven't seen that in SGA.

Oh, but I did ask about the wraith kids, and I believe JM said we will be seeing more on the wraith kids...

Woohoo!! I almost in wuv with JM! :D

Argosy
March 10th, 2007, 07:11 PM
you would think that the control room is one of the importants places to be and operate and yet the ancients didnt put any bathroom near the area.

That’s because when things are going smooth there is plenty of time to walk down a corridor to the can, but when things are flying apart at the seems then everyone is soiling their pantaloons in the control room any way. J/K

But honestly who would want to be in the control room dropping a Mark2 WMD after having Mexican food in the cafeteria for lunch.

vaberella
March 10th, 2007, 08:45 PM
That’s because when things are going smooth there is plenty of time to walk down a corridor to the can, but when things are flying apart at the seems then everyone is soiling their pantaloons in the control room any way. J/K

But honestly who would want to be in the control room dropping a Mark2 WMD after having Mexican food in the cafeteria for lunch.

Probably won't happen, you know how hard it is to get a good burritto in Peggy? Well one you don't 'just add water' to it?!:D

kymeric
March 11th, 2007, 10:01 AM

Speaking of stupid ideas....

How interesting is it to have 2 nobody characters just wandering around till they happen to find the one thing that can beat the wraith that is just lying there in a room.

Wouldnt the ancients have used it before fleeing an entire galaxy.
Wouldnt they have left a giant flashing light in control saying where to find it.

I dunno, seems ironic that someone would say that the stories are stupid and then toss out an even stupider idea that would just end the show in a single episode. Oh we found the kill all the wraith button *click* ok now all the wraith r dead lets go home now. THE END

Sicktem
March 11th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Speaking of stupid ideas....

How interesting is it to have 2 nobody characters just wandering around till they happen to find the one thing that can beat the wraith that is just lying there in a room.

Wouldnt the ancients have used it before fleeing an entire galaxy.
Wouldnt they have left a giant flashing light in control saying where to find it.

I dunno, seems ironic that someone would say that the stories are stupid and then toss out an even stupider idea that would just end the show in a single episode. Oh we found the kill all the wraith button *click* ok now all the wraith r dead lets go home now. THE END

Exactly. Janus is thee flashing light. He gave Weir the best information that he thought would help her people fight the Wraith and protect the city which were ZPM locations. If he knew of anything else of any use he would've told her about it as well. Atlantis' secrets may help them to a certain degree, but as far as something that can defeat the Wraith goes that lies outside of Atlantis (case in point - Aurora).