This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are they stupid

In Atlantis they have most of the city explored and why can't they have a couple of days where a tem made up of 2 security personel, medical officer,scientist and they would be able to find things they could use to fight the wraith

Originally posted by Lord Chris View Post
    In Atlantis they have most of the city explored and why can't they have a couple of days where a tem made up of 2 security personel, medical officer,scientist and they would be able to find things they could use to fight the wraith
    searching atlanitis is in mckays words...like searching every building in manhatten *s* no small task
    Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

yep. plus they have done a fair bit of exploring.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

it's also a plot device.

once the city is fully explored, well that's it. no more hidden surprises, no more plot twists or endangering finds. but if the city is slowly explored, they they have plenty of room to find the next hidden danger to kick start a money saving bottle episode
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Well after 3 years , they should have a big deal of Atlantis covered .... I know if i was living on some world or in some Ancient city and knew it had tons of technology that i have never seen before i would want to explore tell i found it all , It would be like Christmas to me ...

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            it's also a plot device.

once the city is fully explored, well that's it. no more hidden surprises, no more plot twists or endangering finds. but if the city is slowly explored, they they have plenty of room to find the next hidden danger to kick start a money saving bottle episode
            Some bottle episodes like "Hot Zone" and "Tao of Rodney" really gave the good kind of fillers for the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
              searching atlanitis is in mckays words...like searching every building in manhatten *s* no small task
              No it isn't...being the *born* and bred New Yorker that I am, it takes about 12 hours to walk from the top of Manhattan to the bottom of it (yeah, I've done it out of pure boredom...but then you're looking into buildings at each stop you go, you possibly have about 5-7 years of work on your hands. Sure if the show had 7 some odd years I say go for it, but they live in a galaxy of about...hundreds and millions of planets; need food; and we as viewers need entertainment---they need to break that up all that exploring bit.

I mean imagine turning on the tv and going, "What high-jinx will the Atlantis Team get into on Atlantis tonight? Zelenka tonight falls through a whole that leads to a secret library that may have the answers to all their questions or is it a lie?! McKay will come to his rescue." "Today McKay will once again find himself walk the precious line between human and ancient." "Previously on Hot Zone---blah blah entity. Another entity which resembles a giraffe with a cats head and a "laugh" of a hyena has run loose on Atlantis. Will Sheppards team prevail?!"

After a while of that, I'd shoot myself.
              Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
                Another entity which resembles a giraffe with a cats head and a "laugh" of a hyena has run loose on Atlantis. Will Sheppards team prevail?!"

After a while of that, I'd shoot myself.
                Me too, though that one would be quite an episode to watch! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Chris View Post
                  Simply because the writers have let them find viruses, frozen people, but no useful weapons, which would be nice, for once.

Comment

There's also the issue of using the things that they find. Just because they find everything doesn’t mean they’ll be able to use everything that they find, useful or not. So why have them go through to find these things when they're not going to be useful for anything at all ... There goes the episodes of discovery. And if they've found it there is no way to accidently stumble across it and have it affect anyone in a detrimental way.

It'd be great to have the entire city fully explored and know every secret that lies within it ... But if that was the case, the show would be over.

My LiveJournal :: Walls :: Sigs:: Icons :: FanVids
                    "Who looks at a screwdriver and goes 'Ooh! This could be a little more sonic?!'" - Cpt. Jack Harkness

Comment

Originally posted by cshawzye View Post

It'd be great to have the entire city fully explored and know every secret that lies within it ... But if that was the case, the show would be over.
                      And we dont want the show ever to be over
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RepliHawk View Post
                        And we dont want the show ever to be over
                        why would the show be over ... To me they still have a WHOLE GALAXY to Explore as well as Atlantis ... So yes they could take some time and Explore the City , and find things there ... They still have the Whole Galaxy that isnt explored ...

Look at Sg-1 , they had 10 great years and yet they found nothing , and still never explored there whole galaxy ...

Also think of the Atlantis Data Base , The Ancients must have all there buildings in ABC Order , from what they where doing to what is in these rooms .. Unless there is some Wraith or Asrun that is sleeping for some reason ..

Comment

They have a few hundred people in a city large enough to probably hold millions. As someone else previously mentioned, think of it like Manhattan. A team of four people doing nothing, but searching through it would spend a lifetime and still not find everything as you have to go through every building and every room. Even if you could try eliminate housing from your search (not everything is marked and you'd have to assume people didn't bring useful research home with them) just think of how long it would take you to go through an empty hospital or a empty lab which both are many stories high and filled with endless rooms. Now imagine that you're from the 2nd century BCE and you don't know what any of it is so if you press the wrong button you could release a virus someone was studying or you could turn on a machine which generates radiation. Every piece of technology in Atlantis is over 50 million years more advanced then their entire society and the writing there is unreadable to all but a few. Going through it all takes time and care. When they are hasty about something, they get in trouble.

Also, it's important to note that until recently large portions of the city were flooded so they were cut off from a lot of things. So, searching the city becomes all that more complicated when you're cut off from a lot of areas by flooding. However, even if they could access everything at once they are not going to find much that would be of great use against the Wraith. The Ancients failed at any experiments to try to use science to defeat them which is why they were forced to retreat to Earth. There may be some things which will help them or that could be adapted so they're useful, but I doubt anything would so overwhelmingly helpful to them that they need stop their main focuses and just go from room to room instead of stopping to figure out what things are - They have access to a lot of things as is which they are currently working on, mainly to help Earth and just to expand their knowledge in general. They have the database, they have technology which they still don't fully understand, (people are working on jumpers, people are working on improving their computer interface, etc) and they have access to many labs which they researching. Meanwhile, a lot of people are needed to just run the city and a lot of their focus goes to offworld missions.
                          Last edited by Sicktem; 28 February 2007, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -PITBULL- View Post
                            why would the show be over ... To me they still have a WHOLE GALAXY to Explore as well as Atlantis ... So yes they could take some time and Explore the City , and find things there ... They still have the Whole Galaxy that isnt explored ...

Look at Sg-1 , they had 10 great years and yet they found nothing , and still never explored there whole galaxy ...

Also think of the Atlantis Data Base , The Ancients must have all there buildings in ABC Order , from what they where doing to what is in these rooms .. Unless there is some Wraith or Asrun that is sleeping for some reason ..
                            Interesting post. I didn't even think of the Ancient Database when thinking about them exploring the city. But it does contain mass amounts of information and not just information pertaining to the city. It has information about the entire galaxy, doesn't it? Hmm, be interesting to learn more about some of the things housed in the database. Probably a good catalyst for a bunch of episodes.

I was also thinking about the power requirements. With the city as big as it is would the expedition have enough power to keep a city of it's size up and fully operational? Even if they could get every nook and corner explored and sorted out I doubt they'd have enough power to continue to study all of the things they'd find.
                            Last edited by cshawzye; 28 February 2007, 08:34 PM.

My LiveJournal :: Walls :: Sigs:: Icons :: FanVids
                            "Who looks at a screwdriver and goes 'Ooh! This could be a little more sonic?!'" - Cpt. Jack Harkness

Comment

Originally posted by cshawzye View Post
                              Interesting post. I didn't even think of the Ancient Database when thinking about them exploring the city. But it does contain mass amounts of information and not just information pertaining to the city. It has information about the entire galaxy, doesn't it? Hmm, be interesting to learn more about some of the things housed in the database. Probably a good catalyst for a bunch of episodes.

I was also thinking about the power requirements. With the city as big as it is would the expedition have enough power to keep a city of it's size up and fully operational? Even if they could get every nook and corner explored and sorted out I doubt they'd have enough power to continue to study all of the things they'd fine.
                              Well for there POWER SUPPLY , i dont think with One ZPM they have anuff power to do much of anything ... Now if they had a powersupply , say 3 fully charged ZPM's then yes they could ... Yet they have to find the ones worth Studding at this time ... There could be thousand to millions of stuff that they need to studdy , and with out knowng what everthing does , or where the Ancients where in there studdies then some of these things might have to be put off for a while ...

What would be nice is if they cold find away to use the Data Base to find the important studdies that the Ancients where doing , and some of the things that they might be able to use ... Would take time , but would be mroe worth it rahter then going threw ever door on Atlantis and finding something that isnt no good for there use at this time ...

The DATA BASE would have everthing they need to learn about the Ancients , all they really need to do is find something of intrest and go to that location , from there they could study it to find out if its worth there time to keep studding ...

Comment

Working...
                              X