This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what if the tao machine was used again? Spoilers for Tao of McKay

what if the machine that allowed mckay to gain alot of knowledge in season 3 they use it on some other scientist or mckay (again).
    because they could try and make the zpm gain energy from when the shield is bombarded with weapons they could have the best shield ever they could use it againsed anything.
    it would be awesome

it would be cool to try, but i dont think they will use that machine again. it was just lucky it didn't kill mckay.

Im not positive, but I think they hinted that if anybody, including mckay, were to use it, they would probably die

Comment

I didnt see why they didnt use it again i mean they could reverse the process using a pre-mutated sample of DNA- they could use the machine so they can learn all the ancient knowledge and then before the person dies use the machine to turn them back BUT obviously get the person to explain how the tec works...thats my thinking anyway
      "You have earned my respect and my friendship"

"The feeling's mutual"

"Please do not be sad"
      sigpic

Comment

First they would have to perfect the machine, because it's effects are unpredictable. McKay was lucky he wasn't turned into a puddle of goo.

I think that if they really want to create an advanced human their best bet would be the device used on Kalek. They still have the research done by Anubis. It seems to me that this would be easier then modifying the "ascend or die" machine.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Chris View Post
          what if the machine that allowed mckay to gain alot of knowledge in season 3 they use it on some other scientist or mckay (again).
          because they could try and make the zpm gain energy from when the shield is bombarded with weapons they could have the best shield ever they could use it againsed anything.
          it would be awesome
          it rarely worked and sometimes turned people into liquid
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

That's what I suggested or implied here but noone seemed to care or want to go in that direction.

Comment

If that is the case....why don't they just throw Mckay back into the machine and let him get smart and then fix him after they get the knowledge...they could do this multiple times....we could be come way smarter as a race this way ...or atleast kill all the Wraith.
              Two apples get you nothing unless your buying a banana.

Comment

Only problem is that after McKay was "fixed" and came back to his "self" he wasn't able to understand any of the calculations or anything he'd done. So sure you could put someone in and hope first that they don't turn to goo, than hope that after they've been changed back they'd be able to remember and/or understand what they'd gotten out while they were superperson. And even if you had other people working on trying to understand it, or had the superperson tell others his knowledge it doesn't mean they're going to understand him/her or that they'll be able to decipher any of his/her writings any faster than they would in the natural course of discovery.

IMO, it seems like a rather risky proposition (risking killing a person by putting them in the machine) for little to no gain.

My LiveJournal :: Walls :: Sigs:: Icons :: FanVids
                "Who looks at a screwdriver and goes 'Ooh! This could be a little more sonic?!'" - Cpt. Jack Harkness

Comment

From the Transcript:

McKAY: Ah. (They start to walk out of the room.) Now, is Sheppard still bugging you
                  to let him use the ascension device to turn himself into some kind of a superhero?
                  WEIR: Oh yes.
                  McKAY: Despite the fact that the Ancient database states that its effects on people
                  are wildly unpredictable and that I’m just lucky I wasn’t instantly melted down into a
                  pool of protoplasm.
                  So the machine probably won't be used again
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Chris View Post
                    it would be awesome
                    I think that would be unforgivably contrived.
                    Last edited by Major Tyler; 25 February 2007, 04:32 PM.
                    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Yeah....I would say that this machine is never going to be heard from again. It would be to convenient. Unless they do an episode about someone going crazy and deciding thats the only way to go....is to hopefully ascend.
                      Two apples get you nothing unless your buying a banana.

Comment

That would be an interesting plot twist, but sort of a deus ex machina solution which should be avoided in most cases, IMHO.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X