PDA

View Full Version : What about the ancients

Lord Chris
February 25th, 2007, 05:33 AM
The ancients could come to they're rescue for a good faith payment for preserving they're city for how long they were there.
The ancients might even have another city because in season 2 of atlantis in the tower, the city was under the ground so the ancients must have more cities because they can't build ancient warships in one city can they.

jenks
February 25th, 2007, 05:42 AM
I don't think they interfere just for Atlantis, people seem to forget that not all ascended beings are Ancients anyway...

Pharaoh Hamenthotep
February 25th, 2007, 06:06 AM
The ancients wouldnt come to the rescue of Atlantis because of their policy of non-interference, and when was it established that the warships were built in Atlantis?

bniblett
February 25th, 2007, 07:00 AM
it wasn't established that the warships were built "IN" atlantis (on on the city for that matter)

But they were all built in pegasus I would assume (as apposed to the MW before they came)

I would guess that they were built in those hangers like in 02x19. Just like prometheus was, and I assume all other 304's are.

Ehecatl
March 3rd, 2007, 09:55 PM
They must have a plan for when they'll help us. Oma appered to Daniel at very strategic moments and afterall we are their children.

Sicktem
March 4th, 2007, 12:52 AM
They must have a plan for when they'll help us. Oma appered to Daniel at very strategic moments and afterall we are their children.

Remember the diner scene from season 8? They do not care about us. We are beneth them. They would let an entire galaxy be destroyed to teach a fellow ascended being a lesson. They have a lovely way of rationalizing it, so that even though they were responsible for Anubis (Oma may have ascended him, but they let him run around with ascended knowledge and all the while he was unkillable) they could sleep at night. Oma is one of a limited few who cared and she was only able to skirt the rules because to them that is their best form of punishment. However, there was still a limit to what she could do and so if she was still around and if she tried to appear in Atlantis with the goal of helping Earth with technology/defenses/ZPM locations/whatever, they would either have stopped her flat out or they would destroy Atlantis and everyone in it afterwards. Regardless, even she knew the folly in doing something like that - In one episode she showed Daniel what would happen if she gave him the knowledge to properly defend Earth against the Goa'uld.

NATIK
March 4th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Actually it was Shifu that showed Daniel what would happen if he had the Goa'uld knowledge not the Ancient knowledge.

The rest is correct though, there are really 2 reasons for why the ancients will never interfere directly:

A:Not all ascended are Ancient, so even if all Ancients wanted to interfere there would still be others to stop them.
B:The Ancients don't care about the lower planes anymore, to them it dosnt matter if the entire Milky way galaxy disappeared, same with Pegasus and Atlantis aswell, while some ascended may find it sad they wouldnt care as a group.

SmallTimePerson
March 4th, 2007, 03:10 AM
The ancients could come to they're rescue for a good faith payment for preserving they're city for how long they were there.
The ancients might even have another city because in season 2 of atlantis in the tower, the city was under the ground so the ancients must have more cities because they can't build ancient warships in one city can they.

No offense, but your grammar needs some serious work, I can hardly understand what you are saying in the last bit...

Are you somehow suggesting that there might be another Atlantis-style city ship? and those ships can create warships?

Personally I think the ships were built in outposts like the one seen in Inferno.

RepliHawk
March 4th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Are you somehow suggesting that there might be another Atlantis-style city ship? and those ships can create warships?

That would be so cool

SmallTimePerson
March 4th, 2007, 05:18 PM
That would be so cool

But it wouldn't happen as logically Earth would have one of the more powerful fleet of ships in the galaxies Pegasus and Mily way (second to the asurans)... It would really ruin the storylines and suspense created by Earth being on the defense and constantly on the verge of being destroyed from space

VSHARMA
March 5th, 2007, 08:35 AM

The Accents would not help. Even when Anubis was going to destroy ALL THR GALAXY with the Dakra Super Weapon the Accents didn't do anything. (Except Oma, one rouge Accent.
Even when the Ori plague was going to wipe out earth only one Accent helped (Orlin)
Again with Merlin, only one. There’s not enough.

mikeroq
March 5th, 2007, 09:14 AM
They could have other cities out there, but they were most likely destroyed.

If you watch the hologram woman about the war with the Wraith, she goes on to say that all that was left of the worlds they inhabited was Atlantis. There are some outposts and the such left out there.

fallenexile452
March 5th, 2007, 10:31 AM
At some point in the future we may get to see the splinter group of ascended beings become more prominent. if that was the case then i actually believe we would see less of them as they truly stop interfering. i think to some degree that the isolation of the ancients from any lasting consequences to themselves or their survival has only made a lot of them more arrogant and maybe even started them down the path that the ori followed when they ascended but without the worshiping.

Kanten
March 5th, 2007, 11:23 AM

They didn't come to help when the Ori were rampaging across the Milky Way, I doubt they'll make any actions on good faith.

At some point in the future we may get to see the splinter group of ascended beings become more prominent.

Oma, Orlin, and Morgan have been played a pretty prominent role I think.

ussrelativity
March 5th, 2007, 12:09 PM
They didn't come to help when the Ori were rampaging across the Milky Way, I doubt they'll make any actions on good faith.

Morgan's actual name was Ganos Lal.

Also, I remember that Janus helped Weir once in "Before I Sleep", and the captain of the Aurora gave Sheppard the destruct code in "Aurora", but other than that, I can't think of anything else.

The Ancients in "The Return" were not appreciative of the expedition at all.

Teforce
March 5th, 2007, 12:37 PM

Personally I think the ships were built in outposts like the one seen in Inferno.

battle fortress :)
it would be cool to see another race similar to human on earth [in terms of tech, culture] gain access to ancients technologies. either friend or foe will be nice to see.

fallenexile452
March 5th, 2007, 02:23 PM

I meant within the ancient/ascended collective

jenks
March 5th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Morgan's actual name was Ganos Lal.

Also, I remember that Janus helped Weir once in "Before I Sleep", and the captain of the Aurora gave Sheppard the destruct code in "Aurora", but other than that, I can't think of anything else.

The Ancients in "The Return" were not appreciative of the expedition at all.

Helia: Thankyou for all you have done doctor Weir, but your guardianship of the city is no longer necessary, the city is now under my control.

ussrelativity
March 5th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Helia: Thankyou for all you have done doctor Weir, but your guardianship of the city is no longer necessary, the city is now under my control.

Other than that, but the Ancients should have been more cautious.

travis
March 5th, 2007, 04:05 PM
You know I really would like to see Chaya come back.

Death From Above
March 6th, 2007, 08:09 AM
I'd like to see a black or asian Ancient: In fact I'd like to see more coloured faces in the Stargate anyway, we seem to live in a hideously White universe(!)

Sicktem
March 6th, 2007, 09:20 AM
I'd like to see a black or asian Ancient: In fact I'd like to see more coloured faces in the Stargate anyway, we seem to live in a hideously White universe(!)

In The Return there was a black Asuran and since they base themselves off of the Ancients it suggests that there are black Ancients. However, I find it a bit odd that a species which has spent 50 million years in space and living in pockets on advanced cities/outposts would differ that much in skin color. It's not like they colonized entire planets. They all either lived on one city ship or on an outpost and they are fairly well protected from the Sun (it's not like they work all day out in the Sun). They just go to a balcony, look out, and return to their rooms. Although even though I think it's realistic for them to all be one skin color, they wouldn't have a European's bone structure and traits. They would end up evolving to have their own unique look, but it's tv so what are you going to do?

Anyway, you're right that it's a white universe. In season 1 of Sg-1 we saw such a wide range of people who were unique to their world, starting with the Abydos people who carried over from the movies. Then there were the people of Emancipation and The First Commandment and it had a realistic feel to it. Since then most planets they go to are entirely white, sometimes with someone from another race in the background that makes no sense as to why he or she is there since they are supposedly small populations that have remained barely touched for thousands of years - Pick a race for the entire village and stick with it entirely. At least with Atlantis the people know how to use the gate so it makes sense that their genes would mix, but in Sg-1 it's always odd unless it's an advanced culture like the Jaffa. Also, most of the people were supposedly plucked from Ancient Egypt and the areas surrounding it, so where did all the Europeans suddenly come from as the series progressed? A few here and there is one thing, especially involving the Norse people that the Asgard uplifted, but it's a bit odd that they would live in Egypt, enslave those people, and then when it was time to force slaves through the Stargate most of them were shipped from Europe even though it remained largely safe from Goa'uld influence.

Ponytoad
March 12th, 2007, 06:25 PM
I don’t think we can really generalise pre ascended Ancients & ascended Ancients as a single race. As they are & were both governed by different bodies/ laws & there was little over lap between the 2 i.e. some CHOOSE to ascend & some did/ could not.
As those that did ascend wouldn’t have been allowed to interfere in the lower plains, it stands to reason that those that didn’t ascend are the “Ancients or gate builders” while the Ascended are the next evolution of the Ancients & so became like us another or the continuing of the race we call the Ancients.
What I'd like to know (here’s the little over lap) is how some (aka Merlin & even Orlin) managed to keep their ascended powers after de-ascending (not even sure that’s an actual word but it fits), as how in godz-green-monkey-apples can ANYTHING not interpret THAT as non- interference in the lower plains of existence, cheating or not?
I’d say their political & justice systems are just as screwy as our own on that score alone.
Besides when Weir showed up in 'Ancient filled Atlantis', they saved her & invited her (while sort of insisted really) to remain among them.
I'm sorry but put in the same type of situation, I cant see ascended beings as a whole (not as individuals like Oma) coming to your rescue & inviting you among them, other wise I'd hazard a guess & say Anubis wouldn’t have been allowed to interfere like he did, nor would he have been allowed his ½ ascension.
If any of this is explained in the last 5 eps of SG1 S10 or after SGA S2, Disregard it, I’m just starting S3 of Atlantis, while waiting on the bitter sweet last eps of SG1.
I really want to know more about the pre- ascended Ancients, I loved the glimpse we had in Before I Sleep, I want more!
I also want to know more about the sub-fraction of the ascended ancients, the whole Morgan (as she’s now known) theme in Pegasus project wet my appetite.

Peoples_General
March 12th, 2007, 11:28 PM

I remember when the Ancients seemed to be based more on Eastern culture, when we first encountered Oma. As well as reading that the Ori were originally based off of Eastern Warrior cultures like Japan.

But if you look closely at the Ori armor, their construction and the way they're strapped onto the warrior closely resembles that of Samurais than the armor of European Knights.

Plus that Ori symbol closely resembles this Japanese samurai "crescent", found in many samurai helmets of varying designs and shapes.

http://www.shambhalamountain.org/giftstore/images/Samurai-Helmet-Replica.jpg