This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Sam SHOULD be put in charge...

Ok i know there is alot of threads already but they dont seem to give a reason why Sam SHOULD be in charge, mainly they're just *****ing about why she shouldnt . So i'm going to try and explain why Sam should be in charge...

Shes a high ranking military officer-she can make great tactical decisions, BETTER! tactical decisions than Sheppard-sorry but its true- shes been in the AF longer than him and therefore obviously had more experience including like 7 years of off-world experience.

Shes the best scientist in all matters relating to the stargate and alien tec- obviously not wraith- but lets face it she cud figure it out pretty simply.

Shes a great leader, using her scientific mind she can cum to logical conclusions and as she has been part of a team for 10 years she breathes the whole you never leave a man behind-compassion

Amanda tapping is a great actress, better than Torri Higginson

Thats basically wat i have (so far lol) also i dont get why people resent sam just cus shes coming from stargate sg1? i think they're just getting territorial which is stupid as they must have like sg1 b4 they like sga and they shud be happy that a huge part of sg1 is going to survive after the movies....OO the whole weir thing, people blame AT for her recurring status, no one knows why TH is gonna be a recurring character, ever thought she mite have actually wanted to be??? anyway all this is just my (superior) opinion lol
    "You have earned my respect and my friendship"

"The feeling's mutual"

"Please do not be sad"
    sigpic

There's one important reason why she isn't in charge. She's an officer in the US Air Force. Atlantis is an international project. Therefore, it would require a civilian leader that's approved by the IOA.
    These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

I created a thread for reasons why/why not she should be in command, but it was merged with Could Carter replace weir, which I believe it should remain a separate topic since its more about just reasons why she should or shoudln't be in command. Merging my thread with that one is like merging a thread about puddle jumpers being damaged with a thread about puddle jumper tech specs.

Comment

Originally posted by Detox View Post
        There's one important reason why she isn't in charge. She's an officer in the US Air Force. Atlantis is an international project. Therefore, it would require a civilian leader that's approved by the IOA.
        Sure...but Woolsey hinted that while the IOA doesn't want to turn command over to the military because they (the IOA) would lose a lot of their power, as of Misbegotten, the bureaucratic body begrudgingly acknowledges the reality that it might at some point become necessary.

Frankly given the harsh realities of the Pegasus galaxy and the dangers they encounter all too regularly, I think it should have happened a long time ago but the IOA simply didn't want to come out on the short end of the political stick and lose power.

That being said, it doesn't make all that much sense. Given how easily and frequently they impose their rulings and objectives on the SGC and how little Landry does to fight them, it seems their concerns about losing control to the military aren't all that warranted.

I just hope they don't turn Carter into an IOA patsy too.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by carterrocks View Post
          Shes a high ranking military officer-she can make great tactical decisions, BETTER! tactical decisions than Sheppard-sorry but its true- shes been in the AF longer than him and therefore obviously had more experience including like 7 years of off-world experience.
          She is not ranking military officer, because Sheppard got position military leader of Atlantis. I'm sure, that is better word, but I for got it. If there is same ranking with two officer, the one, who got emplymend, is higher.

Shes the best scientist in all matters relating to the stargate and alien tec- obviously not wraith- but lets face it she cud figure it out pretty simply.
          In that case you are wrong. Rodney McKay is better knowing ancients technology, because he is practising it years in Atlantis. Sam is better in Goa'uld's technology, but Rodney handled mutch better Ancients technology.

Shes a great leader, using her scientific mind she can cum to logical conclusions and as she has been part of a team for 10 years she breathes the whole you never leave a man behind-compassion
          No, she is not leader, then we does not need Cameron Mitchell.

Amanda tapping is a great actress, better than Torri Higginson
          It's a point of opinion, whos better and who's not.

Thats basically wat i have (so far lol) also i dont get why people resent sam just cus shes coming from stargate sg1? i think they're just getting territorial which is stupid as they must have like sg1 b4 they like sga and they shud be happy that a huge part of sg1 is going to survive after the movies....OO the whole weir thing, people blame AT for her recurring status, no one knows why TH is gonna be a recurring character, ever thought she mite have actually wanted to be??? anyway all this is just my (superior) opinion lol
          If somenone is definetly connected some series, that person is not wellcome to others. What Atlantis is, if Weir position takes George Hammod, Sheppard's team is Jack O'Neill, Samantha Carter, Teal'c and Daniel Jackson? Or what Atlantis look, if all actros is from Star Trek? Some people are "married" to some series, and not goot spinoffs.
          Asgard in memoriam

Comment

YEs, those are all reasons why she could be put in charge. They are reasons why she should be put in charge. The IOA would choose someone who has years of experience commanding bases and programs, not someone who only has experience leading teams and departments.
            Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
            encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
            3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
            4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
            5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
              YEs, those are all reasons why she could be put in charge. They are reasons why she should be put in charge. The IOA would choose someone who has years of experience commanding bases and programs, not someone who only has experience leading teams and departments.
              With respect, but that doesn't make much sense.

Weir wasn't chosen to take over the SGC or for the expedition because of her years of experience commanding bases and programs. To my understanding of her background (starting from SG-1's Lost City and on through SGA's First Strike), she was more a diplomat and a negotiator, someone who was politically palatable enough to do the job. She recognized the politics in play with her being picked for the job too and knew it was one of the key reasons even though the president assured her he had faith in her ability to adapt and accept the challenge full on. But she was never shown to have had a history leading bases and large programs.

So why then would this requirement be necessary of Carter?

Looking at Carter's qualifications...she has experience in command, military strategy and science. She knows how to manage both military and civilian assets. Sure, it was on a lesser scale than a project the size of Atlantis...but that does not mean she doesn't have the ability to do what she's done before but on a grander scale.

For someone to say Sam isn't capable of growing or expanding her skillset while being completely fine with Weir having done the same...well, it communicates to me at least that a convenient and fairly transparent double standard is in play.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

i like samantha carter. Maybe she will be head of science along with Mckay
                Thankyou SG-1 for 10 great years!
                sigpic
                sig made by kidwizz

join Stargate Atlantis: save the lost city and lets get our show back

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis- View Post
                  She is not ranking military officer, because Sheppard got position military leader of Atlantis. I'm sure, that is better word, but I for got it. If there is same ranking with two officer, the one, who got emplymend, is higher.

In that case you are wrong. Rodney McKay is better knowing ancients technology, because he is practising it years in Atlantis. Sam is better in Goa'uld's technology, but Rodney handled mutch better Ancients technology.

No, she is not leader, then we does not need Cameron Mitchell.
                  1st of all, carter was promoted to lieutenant-colonel before sheppard so in realistic ranking terms she is the senior officer by however many days she received promotion before him no matter what position he has been given

2ndly, sam is probably capable at a variety of technologies and all the ancient goodies that sg-1 has found over the years probably helped her knowledge of that sect of tech, however, i think you're right in saying rodney has more experience with it

3rd, CM was chosen to be the leader and he pursuaded sam to join the team again... so basically either of them could have lead it but he was given the job in the end

in that case, why did the IOA choose Wier in the first place? she obviously had no previous experience of running military or scientific bases before she was introduced to the stargate program.

however... despite all of my negative (from some perspectives) remarks, i believe that Weir should stay as leader for purely the fact that they've built up her character and the relationships around her and it'd just be throwing it all away if they replaced her, which they're not so this whole argument is pointless... i just feel that carter could realistically be a good choice for the leader

just my 2 pence
                  GMM

Gateworld RPG

One morning, a Wraith hatches a brilliant plan and takes over the O'Neill after consuming some lemon chicken. - The Stargate Plot Generator

Comment

Originally posted by -)GMM(- View Post
                    in that case, why did the IOA choose Weir in the first place? she obviously had no previous experience of running military or scientific bases before she was introduced to the stargate program.

however... despite all of my negative (from some perspectives) remarks, i believe that Weir should stay as leader for purely the fact that they've built up her character and the relationships around her and it'd just be throwing it all away if they replaced her, which they're not so this whole argument is pointless... i just feel that carter could realistically be a good choice for the leader

just my 2 pence
                    GMM
                    The IOA chose Weir? I thought that was the President? And, Weir was most likely chosen becasue, one, she had already been moved from head of SGC, so they probably felt like it would be good to test her skills as head of the expedition, and two, she was the best civilian for the job. In Carter's case, there are tons more military colonels, and even generals, with more experience than her. And Carter's experience with alien tech really doesn't prove why she should be leader, because they have Mckay and the many "best and brightest" scientists in atlantis.
                    Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                    encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                    3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                    4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                    5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

I'm all for it! Atlantis should have had a military leader as soon as they found out about the Wraith. And there is no way she could do a worse job than Weir. Sam has way more experience in hostile alien situations, she has more scientific/ancient experience and just all around common sense.

Comment

In Carter's case, there are tons more military colonels, and even generals, with more experience than her. And Carter's experience with alien tech really doesn't prove why she should be leader, because they have Mckay and the many "best and brightest" scientists in atlantis.

Nope, have to disagree here. The only high ranking officer with more Gate travel/hostile alien/Ancient experience than Sam, is Jack. Sam is brilliant in not only science but tactical situations as well. She's a leader. I can't think of anyone more qualified than she is. (With the excpetion of Jack, and well... that's just not going to happen.)

Comment

There seems to be some people saying she WILL be in command and some people who say she WON'T, but is it not the case that we still don't know?

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                            There seems to be some people saying she WILL be in command and some people who say she WON'T, but is it not the case that we still don't know?
                            We don't know anything officially. People are speculating on what little tidbits we've been told thus far. She may be or may not be...we just don't know yet.

It is my belief that she will be...but only time will tell.

Comment

I'm willing to et she won't I'm I'm perfectly happy with that being the case.

And let's face it. Yes she may be the senior of sheppard by a year of being lieutenant colonol. But whose to say she's been in the airforce longer. Personally I reckon they probably joined about the same time and I'm willingto bet sheppard has seen more active service.

Also granted it's a highish rank but why would they put a Lt.Colonel in charge of an operation in atlantis? And even if they did why carter? Yes she's been with the SGC longer then sheppard but sheppard has more experience in the pegasus galaxy and knows the ins and outs of the way it works.

In the end though we don't know what's happening. We're speculating about something that I severely doubt will happen. And if it does only for a few episodes. Maybe TPTB have made a few dodgy decisions
                              Spoiler:
                              But they aren't stupid enough to kill off two characters within a season.
                              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
                              X