PDA

View Full Version : Request: Can someone point me in the direction of fics like that?

huntress
February 20th, 2007, 11:51 PM
I am searching for fics in which:

- Atlantis did either not re-establish contact with Earth or became a independent colony after events of "The Return (1) or some earlier point"
- I also would like this fic to be slash (I am game for McShep, Carson/Rodney or Carson/Ronon)
- no het please
- if no slash, then gen without a ship

Are there stories like these? I would really love to read them, because I am sure they are better then what we got otherwise in season three

Alipeeps
February 27th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Martha Wilson's series of fics beginning with Retrograde (http://www.ltljverse.com/watergate/stories/retrograde1.htm) deal with the Atlantis mission slowly (and suspiciously) reconnecting with Earth after having been alone for 3 years... gen team fic, crossover with SG1 and very, very good.

Wordsmit2
March 6th, 2007, 02:22 AM
Martha Wilson's series of fics beginning with Retrograde (http://www.ltljverse.com/watergate/stories/retrograde1.htm)

Blech. I think it's terrible. I am ever so sorry I ever heard of it.

However, a reader who makes that particular request probably would like that sort.

Alipeeps
March 6th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Blech. I think it's terrible. I am ever so sorry I ever heard of it.

However, a reader who makes that particular request probably would like that sort.

Wow. That comes across as a tad dismissive. Can i ask what you mean by "that sort"?

How about giving some constructive criticism on what you dislike/like about the fic, rather than just "terrible"?

Wordsmit2
March 7th, 2007, 04:25 AM
Wow. That comes across as a tad dismissive. Can i ask what you mean by "that sort"?

It was meant to be categorical, not dismissive.

So far all the fanfic that is built around Atlantis being a breakaway colony is the same. But it's nicely symetrical with the request because the requests for breakaway Atlantis fic seem to be requests for such fic: Atlantis is abandoned or attacked by Earth, manages to get by on its own for a bit, then when a new expedition arrives from Earth the Lanteans vent their fury on them accompanied by frequent lectures on how they're not Earthers now but Lanteans.

How about giving some constructive criticism on what you dislike/like about the fic, rather than just "terrible"?

This particular series uses too many of the devices teenage fanfic writers use. The motivation of the series is abuse, so the writer used a stock scenario in which the characters must be abused and abusive but blameless. There is timeworn fanfic torture and massacre. The author projects her knowledge of what's going to happen onto the characters' behavior so they seem to be overreacting to things--then it turns out to have been reasonable *if* they'd somehow known. There is much pointless milling around waiting for "surprise" revelations. Allies are persistently punished because the bad guys are unreachable and the allies are from the same planet.

For the record, I have quite liked several of the author's standalone stories. It's just this series that is terrible.

Alipeeps
March 7th, 2007, 06:59 AM
It was meant to be categorical, not dismissive.

So far all the fanfic that is built around Atlantis being a breakaway colony is the same. But it's nicely symetrical with the request because the requests for breakaway Atlantis fic seem to be requests for such fic: Atlantis is abandoned or attacked by Earth, manages to get by on its own for a bit, then when a new expedition arrives from Earth the Lanteans vent their fury on them accompanied by frequent lectures on how they're not Earthers now but Lanteans.

This particular series uses too many of the devices teenage fanfic writers use. The motivation of the series is abuse, so the writer used a stock scenario in which the characters must be abused and abusive but blameless. There is timeworn fanfic torture and massacre. The author projects her knowledge of what's going to happen onto the characters' behavior so they seem to be overreacting to things--then it turns out to have been reasonable *if* they'd somehow known. There is much pointless milling around waiting for "surprise" revelations. Allies are persistently punished because the bad guys are unreachable and the allies are from the same planet.

For the record, I have quite liked several of the author's standalone stories. It's just this series that is terrible.

Ah well. Each to their own I guess. :) I quite enjoyed the Retrograde series and found the characterisation good and the plot quite complex and well-developed. I admit I don't read a lot of crossover fic so maybe I am less aware of fanfic clichés than you are. I found the premise - how the Atlantis expedition and their attitude etc would have evolved after three years of isolation - to be quite believable and I liked the inclusion of the Trust etc and could see how, from the Atlantis team's point of view, that could make it very hard from them to trust the SG1 team etc and to distinguish friend from foe.

I am also a big fan of this writer's work in general and particularly her published novels.

Commander Ivanova
March 7th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Huntress, can't think of any off the top of my head but will certainly keep an eye out for fics like that.

Wordsmit2
March 7th, 2007, 09:57 AM
I admit I don't read a lot of crossover fic so maybe I am less aware of fanfic clichés than you are. I found the premise - how the Atlantis expedition and their attitude etc would have evolved after three years of isolation [...]

Heh. You may find the Ripples in the Space Between series by Miriel to be a bit familiar. However, the agenda of that one is for genius children to keep, erm, demonstrating their superiority to those darn Earthers.

Oddly, the first one ("Letters to a John Doe") is great. But the rest of the series seems to have been written by a different author who has never seen Stargate SG-1 and gets her universe rules from Babylon 5 and Shalott's "Transcendental".

and I liked the inclusion of the Trust etc and could see how, from the Atlantis team's point of view, that could make it very hard from them to trust the SG1 team etc and to distinguish friend from foe.

Ah, but would you still like it if it was turned around? If the SGC had to cope with the damage wrought by a splinter group from Atlantis, and Weir and Sheppard's team walked into the middle of it?

Wordsmit2
March 7th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Huntress, not in the vein of Atlantis being isolated, but still with a sense of them being a mature colony or dealing with big problems on their own: Have you read Shalott's "A Beautiful Lifetime Event" and "Transcendental"? Both are slash.