PDA

View Full Version : Colonel Steven Caldwell

Daniel Jackson
February 19th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Mitch Pileggi had a major role in Season 2 as "Colonel Steven Caldwell," appearing in 11 episodes. In Season 3, he's been sorely missed! He's only in 6 episodes. How come the character's role was reduced? Then there's Colonel Ellis who's introduced in "First Strike," the Season 3 finale. Is Ellis going to replace Caldwell in Season 4, or is he merely a fill-in for when Pileggi is unavailable? :confused:

SaberBlade
February 19th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Mitch was off doing another show, Day Break. It lasted about 12 episodes with him doing 11.

Now that the show has been cancelled, one can only hope that Ellis will find himself somewhere else and allow the Daedalus and Caldwell to return. I don't think it's ever been mentioned why the role of Ellis or even the Apollo was done, but it could have been possible it was done to not being able to get Pileggi. However I do think it would be a crappy way to treat Ellis if they kill him or can him because they can't get Caldwell. One of the PTB did mention looking to have Caldwell show up in season 4 but that was all down to his schedule since he was doing Day Break at the time.

Daniel Jackson
February 19th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Glad Daybreak got cancelled, because that means Caldwell will (hopefully) return! :D

garhkal
February 19th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Glad Daybreak got cancelled, because that means Caldwell will (hopefully) return! :D

Agreed. While i did not like him at first, with his going against wier and shep, i have come to like him..

Commander Ivanova
February 19th, 2007, 11:35 PM
I would love to have him back, bit of conflict between him and Shep/Weir stirs things up nicely. Or if not, Ellis was interesting too.

StevenCaldwell
February 20th, 2007, 01:04 AM
The reason is that Col Steven Caldwells Actor, is taking some time off over season 4, so the Daedalus will be stationed at earth, that why they brought in The Apollo for season for to defened Atlantis. i have not seen first strike yet but Not sure what to make of Col Ellis!

Gen_J_O'Neill
February 20th, 2007, 01:59 AM
I hope we get to see Caldwell in s4.

We should because tptb have expressed interest in having him back. They said it would all depend on his schedule. So now that he's free, we should see him again.

I think Ellis was a replacement for Caldwell just in case they couldn't get MP back for s4. I hope we get to see Ellis again, I liked him and think he could provide so interesting aspects to the show.

StevenCaldwell
February 20th, 2007, 02:27 AM
Well hes out for part of the season but hopfully we will see both Ellis and Caldwell working together, i think the Daedalus and Apollo together will make a great team, Both have Azgaurd tech, and have great Commanders

knowsfords
February 20th, 2007, 02:32 AM
I hope we get to see Caldwell in s4.

We should because tptb have expressed interest in having him back. They said it would all depend on his schedule. So now that he's free, we should see him again.

I think Ellis was a replacement for Caldwell just in case they couldn't get MP back for s4. I hope we get to see Ellis again, I liked him and think he could provide so interesting aspects to the show.

I am hoping for friction between Caldwell and Ellis, Caldwell may not always see eye to eye with those in the Atlantis expedition but he will tow the line for them. Ellis on the other hand seems to be the right IOA puppet, takes his orders from the home galaxy whilst at the same time trying to profess how much he respects everyone at Atlantis.

Caldwell and Ellis are both protagonists to Atlantis but Ellis is sinister where as Caldwell tries to offer his experience/opinion.

beale947
February 20th, 2007, 02:45 AM
The way I think it would be good is with that Weir is injured, Shep. assumes Command of Atlantis, and then either cadwell or Ellis try to assume command over him. That would create alot of tension.

jenks
February 20th, 2007, 02:57 AM
From what I've read I get the impression that both Ellis and Caldwell will apprear in season 4.

StevenCaldwell
February 20th, 2007, 03:08 AM
I am hoping for friction between Caldwell and Ellis, Caldwell may not always see eye to eye with those in the Atlantis expedition but he will tow the line for them. Ellis on the other hand seems to be the right IOA puppet, takes his orders from the home galaxy whilst at the same time trying to profess how much he respects everyone at Atlantis.

Caldwell and Ellis are both protagonists to Atlantis but Ellis is sinister where as Caldwell tries to offer his experience/opinion.

i agree with Knowsfords Caldwell does seem to offer his opions rather than just telling then how its gunna be, i havent seen first strike yet so i carnt realy say anything regarding Ellis, but from what iv read hes listerning to what the IOA say rather than thinking whats best for Atlantis.

gopher65
February 20th, 2007, 04:28 AM
I liked Caldwell from the beginning. Hopefully he has a bigger part in season 4:). I agree that it would be interesting to see him face off against Ellis.

StevenCaldwell
February 20th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Well hes ment to be out for most of season 4 ( taking some time off from the show ) my guess he will make a big entrance at the mid season 2 parter where the team or Atlantis is in some S**t and Caldwell will come to there aid!

Heaven
February 20th, 2007, 11:40 AM
After First Strike I'm kinda hoping Ellis will suffer the worst death imaginable first thing next season, hopefully the Apollo along with him (what a terrible name).

if they have to bring another captin I'd rather see Caldwell, but ever since that Emmerson guy died I find it much more enjoyable when the team is responsible for the ship.

IcyNeko
February 20th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Well, since Daedalus didn't have the Horizon system, it wouldn't be able to launch a first strike against the Asurans. Why the Daedalus wasn't recalled to defend Atlantis against the Asuran satellite is bizarre, as two warships would be more effective than one.

jenks
February 20th, 2007, 01:52 PM
It probably wasn't in Pegasus...

J_B
February 20th, 2007, 03:17 PM
They definitely are lucky to get him on Atlantis, they really are making a mistake by not offering him a full-time role on the show. If they are getting rid of Weir, then he would be the perfect commander of Atlantis.

It also would create great tension between him & Shep. Especially if he was the boss & Shep had to do what he was told.

RepliHawk
February 20th, 2007, 06:08 PM
If they are getting rid of Weir, then he would be the perfect commander of Atlantis.

I agree

Elite Anubis Guard
February 22nd, 2007, 06:45 AM
Agreed. While i did not like him at first, with his going against wier and shep, i have come to like him..

That's why I always loved him. Character conflict is awesome. I for one hope Caldwell comes back. Not too keen on this Ellis fella. But it sure would rock to see the Apollo and the Daedalus teaming up against the Wraith.

Alipeeps
February 22nd, 2007, 09:31 AM
Well hes ment to be out for most of season 4 ( taking some time off from the show ) my guess he will make a big entrance at the mid season 2 parter where the team or Atlantis is in some S**t and Caldwell will come to there aid!

Where are you getting this information from please? You've repeatedly stated that Caldwell is not slated to be in most of Season 4 because Mitch Pileggi wants to take some time off from the show but you've not quoted any source and I've not seen this stated anywhere myself.....

Caldwell's 2IC
February 22nd, 2007, 09:40 AM
Where are you getting this information from please? You've repeatedly stated that Caldwell is not slated to be in most of Season 4 because Mitch Pileggi wants to take some time off from the show but you've not quoted any source and I've not seen this stated anywhere myself.....

I was wondering the exact same thing...;)

IcyNeko
February 22nd, 2007, 10:09 AM
Why, I just had BBQ with Mitch teh other day and you know what he said?

SaberBlade
February 22nd, 2007, 01:40 PM
No, what did he say?

Sicktem
February 22nd, 2007, 02:28 PM
Why, I just had BBQ with Mitch teh other day and you know what he said?

That you're delusional and need to stop calling a bush outside of your house, Mitch?

Daniel Jackson
February 23rd, 2007, 09:30 AM
He's referring to taking time off from the show to film Daybreak as a series regular. He's already filmed the first season, which is why he's only in 6 episodes this season. However, that show got cancelled, so Mitch ought to return for 10 or so episodes in Season 4.

nebulan
March 6th, 2007, 09:30 AM
As much as I'd like to give Ellis a chance, I've grown so fond of Caldwell, I'd rather they kept him! I mean, if you think about it, we could grow to love Ellis in the same way since he was introduced much the same way as Caldwell, but then we'd have 2 ship commanders (possibly 3 if Carter gets a ship) but something tells me that just won't do :( they'll probably kill off both Caldwell and Ellis *cries uncontrollably*

mikeroq
March 8th, 2007, 09:23 AM
I would love to see the Odyssey, Daedalus, and the Apollo fighting side by side one day :P

Caldwell has been missed.

ussrelativity
March 8th, 2007, 09:36 AM
I would love to see the Odyssey, Daedalus, and the Apollo fighting side by side one day :P

Caldwell has been missed.

I've thought about that a few times, myself.

SaberBlade
March 8th, 2007, 10:03 AM
I've thought about that a few times, myself.

I have as well.

Personally I'd love to see it make it's way into Continuum.

ussrelativity
March 8th, 2007, 10:07 AM
I have as well.

Personally I'd love to see it make it's way into Continuum.

If the two movies do really well, maybe there could be an SG-1 DVD movie, that involves Atlantis.

SaberBlade
March 8th, 2007, 11:32 AM
If the two movies do really well, maybe there could be an SG-1 DVD movie, that involves Atlantis.

True, but I couldn't see that being done until Atlantis ends. So having Caldwell and the Odyssey crossover into an SG1 movie is the most likely outcome.

ussrelativity
March 8th, 2007, 11:34 AM
True, but I couldn't see that being done until Atlantis ends. So having Caldwell and the Odyssey crossover into an SG1 movie is the most likely outcome.

The X-Files had a movie done while the show was still being produced.

SaberBlade
March 8th, 2007, 11:53 AM
The X-Files had a movie done while the show was still being produced.

That's true, but they were given the budget for a big screen movie. Even after SG1's cancellation, it's not been given a budget for a big screen movie (yet) so if SG1 didn't get one even when the PTB's were planning it, I can't see SGA getting one yet.

ussrelativity
March 8th, 2007, 12:02 PM
That's true, but they were given the budget for a big screen movie. Even after SG1's cancellation, it's not been given a budget for a big screen movie (yet) so if SG1 didn't get one even when the PTB's were planning it, I can't see SGA getting one yet.

I'm not referring to Atlantis entirely. I'm referring to an SG-1 centric DVD movie, that involves Atlantis. Not an Atlantis DVD movie.

Caldwell's 2IC
March 9th, 2007, 10:19 AM
( chanting : )

Bring back Caldwell http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/sheish/colcalfg5.png

UberGater
March 10th, 2007, 06:51 PM
I'll second that... Mitch is a uperb actor.. Brings a depth and credibility to the role.. Love to see him return as a regular...

:comeon:

ColCaldwell
March 10th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Have no fear I shall return! :D

garhkal
March 10th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Have no fear I shall return! :D

lOL... but it would be great if some of those here, WERE the actors on the show.

Major_Griff
December 22nd, 2007, 10:58 AM
I'm actually liking how the ships have not had a major role this season. Finally focus on the stargate again. Don't get me wrong I like that we have ships now as it only makes sense since we've been out there for 11 years now, and I like Col Caldwell and Mitch Pileggi, but I feel like in S9/2-S10/3 the ships were featured too much. I feel like they should only show up for 3 or 4 eps a season.

Jumper_One
December 22nd, 2007, 11:20 AM
I'm actually liking how the ships have not had a major role this season. Finally focus on the stargate again. Don't get me wrong I like that we have ships now as it only makes sense since we've been out there for 11 years now, and I like Col Caldwell and Mitch Pileggi, but I feel like in S9/2-S10/3 the ships were featured too much. I feel like they should only show up for 3 or 4 eps a season.

I think the only ship heavy eps in s4 are BAMSR, maybe SoW, Midway

Major_Griff
December 22nd, 2007, 04:51 PM
I think the only ship heavy eps in s4 are BAMSR, maybe SoW, Midway

Which is a good thing that there are only a few, imo

Mitchell82
December 22nd, 2007, 05:58 PM

I actually liked that they used the ships more and I kinda wish we'd see them more this year.

Freekzilla
December 22nd, 2007, 06:17 PM
You know, I actually like Caldwell a lot. His hard nosed approach with a touch of compliance and sublty really make for good screentime. Actually, I think he should be on the show more often. He adds that little bit of tension, or atleast he did, between himself, Weir and Sheppard. But I also like the way he gives the sense that reluctantly respects both to some degree. So in other words, he's conflicted, but it's not over the top and blatant. I say, bring a fleet of ships, but not all 304's, to Pegasus and give him command of all "Space faring" ships, excluding the PJ's. And then make him Ellis's commanding officer. Would create a sort of "factions" within the show. (IE: Military vs. civilian, Atlantis vs. "fleet", US vs. International). Could be interesting if done right. And he really does play a colonel well, confident and strong, yet laid back enough to not be abrasive. Ellis is ok, but he has a bit of a pit bull personna, and he's not Col. Caldwell.

So I personally will welcome Caldwell back joyfully. :)

the fifth man
December 22nd, 2007, 06:39 PM
It will definitely be nice to see Caldwell again.

Mitchell82
December 22nd, 2007, 06:48 PM
It will definitely be nice to see Caldwell again.

:indeed:

Freekzilla
December 22nd, 2007, 08:35 PM
Double :indeed::indeed:

Major_Griff
December 22nd, 2007, 09:38 PM
Now don't get me wrong, I love the Caldwell character and the tension he created between himself, Sheppard, and Weir, and there have been quite a few eps with him that did not feature Daedulus, but I just get the feeling that if they go ship heavy you start to forget about the gate, and well this is Stargate after all.

Freekzilla
December 22nd, 2007, 10:42 PM
Who says the Daedalus has to be there too if Caldwell is? Maybe the crew is off on R&R and he's staying close to the base. Maybe he's there because the USAF wants a non-expedition member and non-IOA member perspective/report. We know that O'Neill isn't too fond of Whoolsey, and has a personal interest in Carter, so maybe he would like an unbiased opinion. And doesn't he already have an "office" there for those times he's at atlantis and not on the Deddy? It's not like they don't have the room for him. Besides, 3 colonels are smarter than 1 or 2. And Caldwell is pretty much close to being a brig. general by now isn't he? He's old enough and has been in long enough, and has done quite a bit to earn the position. Only bad thing is that little incident with the Goa'uld symbiote.

Dusk
December 22nd, 2007, 10:51 PM
Colonel Steven Caldwell will be back in

BAMSR

Yes I know, I'm glad of it! BUT IF THEY KILL HIM I WILL BE PISSED!

Col. Shadow Quinn
December 22nd, 2007, 11:45 PM
Colonel Steven Caldwell will be back in

BAMSR

Spoils of War, The Kindred Part 1 and Part 2 are also episodes he'll be in.
(Spoils of War is an if).

Mitchell82
December 23rd, 2007, 07:53 AM
Now don't get me wrong, I love the Caldwell character and the tension he created between himself, Sheppard, and Weir, and there have been quite a few eps with him that did not feature Daedulus, but I just get the feeling that if they go ship heavy you start to forget about the gate, and well this is Stargate after all.

True but you don't have to see the gate to know it's there. They still used the gate in seasons 9 and 10 they just didn't show it as much and it still worked.