X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lexx or the Deathstar?

Just wondering what other people think.

I reackon Lexx as it is described as the best in two universes and the death star is only the best in the one... but that won't make a differance in a head to head battle.

Any ideas?
    sigpic
    Beckett: What shall ah say?
    Ford: Uh...Uh... I miss you... I wish you were here?
    Beckett: I wish who was here?
    Ford: Uh.... I dunno who do you wish was here?
    Beckett: Nobody I wish I wasn't bloody here.

Ive never seen the Lexx and don't know anything about it. But the Deathstar doesn't exactly have a good track record. Been made twice (well, 1 and 3/4's time anyways) and blown to bits both times buy a markedly weaker attack force.

Comment

The Lexx shoots its deathbeam clear across the solar system in season 4. Not only does the beam have ridiculous range but it seems as if it can travel faster than light if it has to.

The deathstar has to get a lot closer to it's targets, even planet sized ones, to kill them with its superlaser.

But the real issue here is one of coolness. The Lexx is just a lot cooler as a ship than the deathstar. It's a giant flying space penis that eats the chunks of the planets it blows up for food. It also talks. The Deathstar is just a big round ball that you never see the back of, commanded by a bunch of cackeling old men who always think they're going to win right before they get blown up or tossed down giant airshafts.

Comment

Dragonfly dragonfly dragonfly.

The Lexx has another advantage: It only requires one person to destroy a planet--the captain. The death star needs quite a few people punching buttons and flicking switches.

Another coolness factor for the Lexx: We never get to see chunks of rubble bouncing off the death star. Lexx just plows right in and starts munching.
        Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

What is the lexx?

Comment

Lexx is deffinately much cooler - it is rediculously powerful though. It would probably take the death star out from halfway across the solar system but there would be a problem if it was acompanied by the rest of the fleet.

In answer to your question, Lexx is a giant, planet destroying, space dragonfly, bred by "his shadow" in the series Lexx.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexx - if you are interested.
            Last edited by neurophobic_and_perfect; 15 February 2007, 06:10 AM. Reason: adding a link
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by neurophobic_and_perfect View Post
              Lexx is deffinately much cooler - it is rediculously powerful though. It would probably take the death star out from halfway across the solar system but there would be a problem if it was acompanied by the rest of the fleet.
              The thing aboutt he Lexx and its weapon though is that you got the sense all through the series that it was capable of a lot more than its loveable dufus of a captain Stanley could actually think up.

If you told it "Lexx Destroy that fleet of Star Destroyers" I'd lay my money on it doing exactly that somehow, probably with a bunch of "little shots".

Remember in season 4 when Stan told it to "just fire a teensy weensy tiny little shot" to blow up Prince's yaught and it accidently blew up half of Florida instead.

"I'm sorry Stanley, I missed."

Then there was the time it swallowed a Nuclear bomb that exploded in it's belly... no effect.

Even more crazy, the original movie when the Divine Order tries to destroy it with those web things that cause MK9 level damage to planets. Then it cuts to the officers *****ing that it's not having any effect and they can't hit the supposed "weak spot" that will destroy the Lexx.

It's also fast enough to fly across the universe, not galaxy, universe.

If that thing ever had the luck to get a compotent commander it would be unstoppable.

Comment

Thank god for Stanley and his lack of imagimation.

Speaking of imaginatiom, imagine what his divine shadow could have done with lexx.
                It really is rediculously overpowered.
                Last edited by neurophobic_and_perfect; 15 February 2007, 09:24 AM. Reason: Typo
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatLordGeorge View Post
                  What is the lexx?
                  The subsequent posts answered this question very well. Wikipedia is optional, and personally I never steer people to it when they ask about Lexx, because it completely quashes their curiosity. Too much information.

The TV show Lexx is one of those things that you "get" or you don't. It was a Canadian sci-fi dark comedy in which irony ruled the day. Each season is completely different from each of the others, so liking one may or may not mean you like the others.

People who don't "get it" tend to back away quickly from its first impression. People who do "get it" tend to go on at length about how it skewered sci-fi TV conventions. There's lots of fodder for discussion.

Addendum: The Wikipedia entry is very good, but everything after the intro really does give too much information for the newcomer.
                  Last edited by Wordsmit2; 15 February 2007, 11:56 AM.
                  Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Thankyou - but as I said all you really need to know about the actual ship is that it is about the same size as manhatten and destroys planets with its eyes. If you are really interested look at wikipedea but it is full of spoilers.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatLordGeorge View Post
                      What is the lexx?
                      lol a mint scifi show from a few years back....sad, sad endin but it has a massive dragonfly ship in it of the same name which can blow up planets and stuff....look it up on wikipedia, son.
                      I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                      Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

I left the link for that exact purpose.
                        So no-one thinks deathstar is better - I thought someone would have stood up for it!
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X