PDA

View Full Version : BLUE Stargate?

evan
May 3rd, 2004, 03:49 PM
Is it just me or have all the commercials for Atlantis featured a blue Stargate? Maybe I'm behind the times here but WHY? Did the old twenty foot tall glowing metal ring look too old fashioned?

Maybe it's a newer model or something...

tomduo
May 3rd, 2004, 03:56 PM
Because it's a different Galaxy... and after making thousands in Gunmetal grey, I think they wanted some nice blue ones.

ShadowMaat
May 3rd, 2004, 03:56 PM
It's so people will know they're watching Atlantis, not SG-1. :p Ya gotta make everything different...

spg_1983
May 3rd, 2004, 04:04 PM
It's so people will know they're watching Atlantis, not SG-1. :p Ya gotta make everything different...
i thought that it was only the gate actually in atlantis that was different, because the shows were gonna share the gates they use for filming "offworld"

ShadowMaat
May 3rd, 2004, 04:17 PM
i thought that it was only the gate actually in atlantis that was different, because the shows were gonna share the gates they use for filming "offworld"

Dunno. Maybe. Or maybe the art department is gonna be working overtime, covering the gate in blue paint, then washing it off again. :P

tomduo
May 3rd, 2004, 04:44 PM
I think my explanation is better. Those ancients have great fashion sense, and from the Season 7 Opener, apparently like blue.

ShadowMaat
May 3rd, 2004, 05:08 PM
I think my explanation is better. Those ancients have great fashion sense, and from the Season 7 Opener, apparently like blue.

Does that mean that the A-team is going to be shot on sight as an offense to the fashion conscious? :P

evan
May 3rd, 2004, 05:20 PM
I just thought of something, is there anywhere I can buy a replica Stargate? Like a little 6 inch high thing that would sit on my monitor? Maybe light up or something? Preferably with the ORANGE chevrons...

edit: found one for $400, maybe not

tomduo
May 3rd, 2004, 05:21 PM
Does that mean that the A-team is going to be shot on sight as an offense to the fashion conscious? :P

O.o;; Maybe... well the wraiths are blue, maybe thats how they beat the ancients.

Ancient: "Well they are trying to kill us... but they have STYLE!"

Shadow Gate
May 3rd, 2004, 05:24 PM
Well, on the blue stargate thing (which is really not all that much blue, it's blue chevrons and an inner track made of light rather than a physical spinning track) I always thought that they are a more upgraded version that was made for the Pegasus Galaxy by the Ancients after they had set all the Stargate in our galaxy. It made enough sense to me. It's possible that the only blue Stargate will be in Atlantis (the city), and the rest of the worlds the Atlantis team goes to will have the old Stargate design, that would still make sense, it would only mean that the Ancients wanted there city to have the only advanced stargate, and that the producers wanted to save money.

I personally like the blue one more.. but the older one still is cool.

David85
May 3rd, 2004, 05:28 PM

More like you got to make SOMETHING different....

:D

ShadowMaat
May 3rd, 2004, 05:36 PM
More like you got to make SOMETHING different....

:D

True. ;) And I wish I could comment more in depth, but I'm told that my constant sniping at Atlantis is hurtful. *sigh*

GhostPoet
May 4th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Is it just me or have all the commercials for Atlantis featured a blue Stargate? Maybe I'm behind the times here but WHY? Did the old twenty foot tall glowing metal ring look too old fashioned?

Maybe it's a newer model or something...

My ideas are that it is either a central hub. Therefore it's blue because it's the Main gate for that galaxy...

OR

Different galaxy...different kind of gate inside AND out.

tomduo
May 4th, 2004, 03:16 PM
I'd think the second. After producing all the Gates in our galaxy, you'd think there would differences in even those.

Andy867
May 5th, 2004, 05:49 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if the gate on Earth was like a prototype for the gates found in the Pegasus Galaxy and the surrounding galaxies of it. Basically, if you hadnt noticed, the Tauri gate has a inner spinning track, which is one of a kind in our known side of the universe. But the Ancients felt having a physical spinning track would take to long for beings to type in coordinates for travelling, so an improvement is the gate found in Atlantis, which is distinguished by the glowing blue chevrons and the inner track being made of energy of which the ring spins on, which is apparently faster since there would be no real friction.

spg_1983
May 5th, 2004, 06:18 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if the gate on Earth was like a prototype for the gates found in the Pegasus Galaxy and the surrounding galaxies of it. Basically, if you hadnt noticed, the Tauri gate has a inner spinning track, which is one of a kind in our known side of the universe.
our gate is exactly the same as every other gate in our galxy (except PoO) the inner track spins on all of them

tomduo
May 5th, 2004, 06:35 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if the gate on Earth was like a prototype for the gates found in the Pegasus Galaxy and the surrounding galaxies of it. Basically, if you hadnt noticed, the Tauri gate has a inner spinning track, which is one of a kind in our known side of the universe. But the Ancients felt having a physical spinning track would take to long for beings to type in coordinates for travelling, so an improvement is the gate found in Atlantis, which is distinguished by the glowing blue chevrons and the inner track being made of energy of which the ring spins on, which is apparently faster since there would be no real friction.

So the Ancients had ADD too? :D

bakeded
May 5th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Hey, I like blue!

thor39
May 6th, 2004, 07:59 AM
Hey blue it's a change :D
Shame it won't say " sorry you have dialed an incorrect number please hang up and try again, you have not been charged for this call" if you dial wrong :D :D :D

Anubis
May 6th, 2004, 08:13 AM
I like the idea of a new coloured stargate. Apparently it glows and makes a lighting sequence when a address is dialed/activated. Looks a great new gate

Greybro
May 6th, 2004, 08:28 AM
I just thought of something, is there anywhere I can buy a replica Stargate? Like a little 6 inch high thing that would sit on my monitor? Maybe light up or something? Preferably with the ORANGE chevrons...

edit: found one for $400, maybe not

Hey spill. Where I can I buy a Stargate for my desk?

Regards,
Brent

TechnoBoY
May 6th, 2004, 02:42 PM
I am still dissapointed by the Atlantis gate. I was hoping it was be cooler and thinner. Cause I kept hearing new galaxy so new gate. I was hoping something like the Tollan gate. Skinnier and sexier and cooler. Oh well. Maybe with the cool lighting effects it will be cool.

JakeDeuxPointZero
May 6th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Hmm... personally, I like the new Stargate. As far as I can tell, I'm thinking that it is just the style of the new galaxy, where Stargates are often used for travel in space and whatnot... just a different, more recent model. Dunno, though.

May 6th, 2004, 07:47 PM
hey, blue wraith, blue gate, what a ... ? why both of them are blue???

spg_1983
May 6th, 2004, 07:53 PM
hey, blue wraith, blue gate, what a ... ? why both of them are blue???
i thought the wraith were more green than blue?

May 6th, 2004, 08:04 PM
well...the queen looks blue to me...may be i'm clolor binded or something...

ShadowMaat
May 6th, 2004, 08:06 PM
well...the queen looks blue to me...may be i'm clolor binded or something...

Oh gods, I sense the beginning of another blue vs. green debate... ;)

Andy867
May 6th, 2004, 10:36 PM
Well luckily I have the magic to break the debate by saying that I think that its interesting that on earth we developed an Iris, and apparently

SPOILER ALERT
The Stargate in atlantis will have an energy shield that will act like an IRIS. Pretty cool huh. Its like we had the thinking of the Ancients, or their way of thinking when developing the IRIS, we just didnt have the advanced technology to make an energy-based IRIS.

ReplicatorX
May 7th, 2004, 04:59 AM
I can't wait to see the new looking Stargate being fired up for the first time, after seeing the same Stargate from SG-1 so many times, I more than welcome a change.

PSUfelon
May 7th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Perhaps we've been looking at it the wrong way round. Maybe the Antlantis Gate was one of the first? It's been said that it doens't have a standard DHD. So maybe when they came to our galaxy, the Ancients figured out how to make the system more modular.

Andy867
May 7th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Well, the thing with the Atlantis gate, is that it is true it doesnt have a DHD. It in fact has a control panel similar to a computer for dialing coordinates, and also for activating the energy-based iris.

anubis3355
May 7th, 2004, 02:34 PM
SPOILERS FOR THORS HAMMER........

MAYBE,,,JUST MAYBE.........THE RING THING OR WHATEVER .......OK THE STARGATE IS BLUE SO THE WRAITH COULD NOT GET TROUGH ITS LIKE THE WEPOND DEACTIVATORS THE ASGARD HAVE FOR A SPECIFIC RACE IN THORS HAMMER.......ITS AGAINST GOULD WEAPONDS AND MAYBE THE NEW STARGATE IS FOR THE WRAITHS NOT TO USE IT..

JakeDeuxPointZero
May 7th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Hmm... .maybe it is for Wraiths not to use, maybe not.

As for the theory of this possibly being an earlier Stargate, I think not, because we already know the Ancients went to the Pegasus galaxy after ours.

spg_1983
May 7th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Hmm... .maybe it is for Wraiths not to use, maybe not.

As for the theory of this possibly being an earlier Stargate, I think not, because we already know the Ancients went to the Pegasus galaxy after ours.
actually we dont know that, people just assume that, just like people assume earth is the ancients homeworld, there has been no direct evidence to support either that the ancients evolved on earth or that they even started in this galaxy

JakeDeuxPointZero
May 7th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Maybe, although I'm pretty sure they moved to Pegasus... I just get that impression. I'll accept both theories as possibilities, though... personally, I'm hoping we'll find some remaining Ancients sometime in Atlantis.

Teal'c
May 8th, 2004, 04:43 AM
actually we dont know that, people just assume that, just like people assume earth is the ancients homeworld, there has been no direct evidence to support either that the ancients evolved on earth or that they even started in this galaxy
There's no direct evidence that the contrary is true, in fact, there is absolutely no evidence, it's just a possibility...

thor39
May 8th, 2004, 05:13 AM
What colour will the energy iris be blue or green? :D

SGSlugger
May 8th, 2004, 05:34 AM
Does that mean that each gate in the Peagusas galaxy has an energy barrier?

Just a thought:
If theses gates are more advanced, does that mean they can send images back or detect if its floating in space or has an energy iris activated? If not, do the Ancients have some type of MALP probe?

JakeDeuxPointZero
May 8th, 2004, 08:24 AM
I would hope so... it would really suck to walk through a gate... into space!

spg_1983
May 8th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Does that mean that each gate in the Peagusas galaxy has an energy barrier?

Just a thought:
If theses gates are more advanced, does that mean they can send images back or detect if its floating in space or has an energy iris activated? If not, do the Ancients have some type of MALP probe?
i believe i read somewhere that they Atlantis team uses a new type of probe, but im not sure if its earth or ancient technology, i hope earth because even though i love ancient tech i dont want them to be using all ancient tech, otherwise it ruins the fact that the show is supposed to be set in the present day

DownFallAngel
May 8th, 2004, 09:45 AM
Yea the ATeam becoming dependant on Ancient Tech. Is really wack.

Just noticed:
You know on the Atlantis site, those pics of ships? Well those ships were already show. In SPACE RACE. Those ships were the decorating models of that guy, who was passed up for promotion for inside trading. Just wanted to tell you guys.

Teal'c
May 8th, 2004, 01:42 PM
i believe i read somewhere that they Atlantis team uses a new type of probe, but im not sure if its earth or ancient technology, i hope earth because even though i love ancient tech i dont want them to be using all ancient tech, otherwise it ruins the fact that the show is supposed to be set in the present day
Possibly the same type of probe Beckett accidently launches in Antarctica?

spg_1983
May 8th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Possibly the same type of probe Beckett accidently launches in Antarctica?
i guess its possible but i dont really know for sure. what i hope is that its a new model MALP probe, like the MALP mark 2 or something. i dont think ill like it if they can use all the ancient tech. id like to see them have to improvise and make do because they cant figure out alot of the tech or it doesnt work any more after millions of years.

SGSlugger
May 8th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Were would we get all of these MALP probes though? Surely the Atlantis Team isn't taking a dozen with them. It would be interesting if we couldn't get something to work or messed it up. It would be pretty funny if they turned something on and it blew up in their faces.

spg_1983
May 8th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Were would we get all of these MALP probes though? Surely the Atlantis Team isn't taking a dozen with them. It would be interesting if we couldn't get something to work or messed it up. It would be pretty funny if they turned something on and it blew up in their faces.
spoilers for atlantis season one
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
well the isolation from earth is only a temporary thing so im sure eventually there will be regular shipments of supplies and personel from the SGC. also the MALPs arent disposable, one use things, they re use them, they just dont always show them sending them back, same with the FREDs. it would be expensive to have to make hundreds of those things if they only used them once and left them behind and the SGC already gets enough flak about how much it costs to run the program

MegaFishTank
May 8th, 2004, 10:16 PM
As can be seen even here (http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/index.shtml)...

Executive producer Robert C. Cooper has said that the film's story "evolves the Stargate."
...this is going to be a different kind of stargate.

I've been thinking about how it could possibly be different...

built-in protective iris to prevent things coming/going (already confirmed energy-based iris)
different symbols and number of symbols for gate coordinates... or maybe there isn't even a limited set of symbols, which leaves a possibility of having unlimited destinations (Just the fact that it is blue makes me believe that it belongs to an entirely different network of stargates from the ones in SG-1.)
2-way wormhole, rather than only outgoing
you can see through the event horizon, so you don't necessarily need to send a MALP through to see what is at the other gate
you can enter through the BACK of a gate as well as the front of the gate
no more SPLASH when a connection is made to another gate (those things can be dangerous ya know)
bigger stargate (I still haven't seen any specific shots indicating that this blue gate is the same size as the red ones)

But then again, the blue gate could just be for connecting to a different galaxy, and once they get there, they are back to using the same red stargates as SG-1. *shrug*

Just my $0.02

spg_1983
May 9th, 2004, 12:22 AM
my understanding is that only the gate in atlantis is blue and the rest of the gates in the pegasus galaxy are standard gates. (to cut down on production costs the shows are going to share the gates they use for "offworld" shots)

Champos
May 9th, 2004, 01:21 AM
<< My ideas are that it is either a central hub. Therefore it's blue because it's the Main gate for that galaxy... >>

So, is there a hub gate for this galaxy?

GateWard
May 9th, 2004, 06:28 AM
Atlantis was the original hub of the milky way galaxy. But now is in the Pegasus galaxy. Thus there are two main hubs in Pegasus Galaxy, Atlantis, and ........... you guessed it, the Wraith homeworld.

JakeDeuxPointZero
May 9th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Oh... if that's true about the hub gates, then it's going to get really interesting...

Andy867
May 9th, 2004, 07:21 PM

Executive producer Robert C. Cooper has said that the film's story "evolves the Stargate."

built-in protective iris to prevent things coming/going (already confirmed energy-based iris)
different symbols and number of symbols for gate coordinates... or maybe there isn't even a limited set of symbols, which leaves a possibility of having unlimited destinations (Just the fact that it is blue makes me believe that it belongs to an entirely different network of stargates from the ones in SG-1.)
you can see through the event horizon, so you don't necessarily need to send a MALP through to see what is at the other gate
no more SPLASH when a connection is made to another gate (those things can be dangerous ya know)
bigger stargate (I still haven't seen any specific shots indicating that this blue gate is the same size as the red ones)

But then again, the blue gate could just be for connecting to a different galaxy, and once they get there, they are back to using the same red stargates as SG-1. *shrug*

Just my $0.02

My thoughts on the 2-way gate travel point to the original idea that matter can only travel one way due to the way of the subspace being accessed by the gates. Because it is artificial, there are limitations set artificially that render the possibility of 2-way travel impossible. Its possible for energy such as RF waves like radio and video, but thats because it is simply energy, where as matter is very complex and it takes a lot of computing power just to re-materialize the SG teams that go through it on a daily basis. Plus 2 way would have the problem of energy signatures getting intermangled or crossed. I believe the Ancients designed the gates to be one way only to prevent any kind of hazard upon using the gate network.

- And the problem "seeing through the event horizon" is not possible because of the sheer distance, plus the elementary basics for designing the wormhole/event horizon dont allow for a "line of sight" from one end to the other. It's because of the path the wormhole takes. It would be like trying to see the road up ahead, but having tress blocking the path. The subspace in which the wormhole travels doesnt allow for it.

- Entering through the back of the gate would be like trying to go the opposite way of a one-way street. the back of the gate is what is median of what makes the connection of the 2 wormholes, whereas the dhd/stargate is the medium.

- I do agree with creating a wormhole that doesnt have the unstable vortex of energy. I believe that the Atlantis gate solves the problem, along with other gates surrounding the pegasus galaxy. But that gate network is a separate network from that of the known gate network.

- I also agree with there being a new set of symbols and glyphs for the stargates since obviously the pegasus galaxy is in a region space that could possibly have a different chart of stars and constellations that are used for calculations between 2 gates. Obviously even our most advanced telescope cant see every region of space, so there will be obvious stars that we cannot see on Earth or in our point of the universe, but that exist in another part of the universe which provide the "map" for the new gate network.

My thoughts on evolving the stargate revolve mainly around the idea of how the gate will be used once the system is free of the goa'uld and Wraith, and what will become of the 9th chevron, and what it will mean, and whether the gate will be re-designed when possibly new/more chevrons, and a new way of using the stargate, like making it possible to transport from one planet to another within a galaxy, which is virtually impossible due to the current setup of the gate system and the way it relies on the star constellations.

MegaFishTank
May 10th, 2004, 12:55 AM
a few other possibilities that have crossed my mind since I heard about the blue gate...

8. When I first heard about Atlantis, for some reason I was thinking that maybe the entire city can move around, like, maybe the city is actually a starship, or can move via the stargate wormholes without actually going through the gate itself (a la ST-DS9 wormhole, but uses the blue gate to create a larger external wormhole and the gate travels with the city itself), etc...

9. SPOILER... I've heard something about Ancient technology that can only be used by people that have a specific gene. Maybe the blue gate only allows these people through and noone else? (although, that doesn't make a whole lotta sense... how would their equipment/clothes make it though the wormhole then?!)

10. since the new chevrons are blue, will the new event horizon be red? :D

- And the problem "seeing through the event horizon" is not possible because of the sheer distance, plus the elementary basics for designing the wormhole/event horizon dont allow for a "line of sight" from one end to the other. It's because of the path the wormhole takes. It would be like trying to see the road up ahead, but having tress blocking the path. The subspace in which the wormhole travels doesnt allow for it.
Interesting... but if radio signals can make it through the wormhole unaffected, why not the visible light spectrum? "Sheer distance" has nothing to do with it because they communicate via radios in realtime.

Andy867
May 10th, 2004, 06:54 AM
Spoiler
From my understanding, there is a particular gene in about 1 in 100 people that allows them to use the technology of the Ancients, and one of the SG-A Team members, specifically Dr Beckett, just happens to have that gene.

GhostPoet
May 10th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Yea the ATeam becoming dependant on Ancient Tech. Is really wack.

Just noticed:
You know on the Atlantis site, those pics of ships? Well those ships were already show. In SPACE RACE. Those ships were the decorating models of that guy, who was passed up for promotion for inside trading. Just wanted to tell you guys.

Who says they are dependant on ancient tech? In the trailer Weir says "We *MAY* not be able to return"
And also...in the spoilers...someone is sent back to earth. Which means they have access to earth still. I'd guess they can only do that every so often as it takes a great amount of energy to open a wormhole that distance. So they probably only use it for getting supplies and more troops.

GhostPoet
May 10th, 2004, 11:11 AM

Just my $0.02

I'm gonna wager maybe that the Atlantis gate can use the same chevron more than once in an address...opening up a larger range of address possibilities...

Or

The inner workings are alot more advanced offering new and exciting stories. :P

I hope they keep the splash...that's almost as important as a lightsaber sound in star wars.

JakeDeuxPointZero
May 10th, 2004, 12:21 PM
I had a thought... if only the hub gates look like the one we've seen, and the rest are standard, maybe the rest are standard, but with blue chevrons... now that would be cool!

KorbenDirewolf
May 10th, 2004, 12:53 PM
also.. I'm almost sure that a pretty lightshow is cheaper in the end than an actual spinning ring.

Andy867
May 10th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Who says they are dependant on ancient tech? In the trailer Weir says "We *MAY* not be able to return"
And also...in the spoilers...someone is sent back to earth. Which means they have access to earth still. I'd guess they can only do that every so often as it takes a great amount of energy to open a wormhole that distance. So they probably only use it for getting supplies and more troops.

Ok, I will take it you didnt watch much of season 7 or you would know that to battle the Goa'uld, the SGC is looking for Ancients' technology in order to battle the Goa'uld. So it would be pretty important if a person were to have the gene that allows them to use the Technology or the 8th would be pretty pointless. And its not that they are dependent on the technology. They are just wanting to use it to compliment their own technology in the war with the Goa'uld.

GhostPoet
May 10th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Ok, I will take it you didnt watch much of season 7 or you would know that to battle the Goa'uld, the SGC is looking for Ancients' technology in order to battle the Goa'uld. So it would be pretty important if a person were to have the gene that allows them to use the Technology or the 8th would be pretty pointless. And its not that they are dependent on the technology. They are just wanting to use it to compliment their own technology in the war with the Goa'uld.

huh? Yea..I know they are going to Atlantis to find ancient technology to battle their enemies. But not sure why you bring up the Gene thing...
I guess your response kind of confused me..seems we are talking about different things...I was just saying that they can return to earth when they need to (the humans)
But I see what you are saying now...about them needing it for defense. I thought you meant they needed it because they had nothing else to use while exploring this new galaxy.

Scruff
May 13th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Actually, there is evidence that the gate on Earth is the first (or HUB) gate in our galaxy. In the movie, the Abydos gate had different symbols because constellations would be different in a different galaxy. But, SG-1 changed all that. First by moving Abydos to our galaxy, then by making all stargates have the exact same symbols on it, except for a unique POO. (They even screwed this up several times by using a regular symbol for POO)

If all gates in the system have the same symbols, which just happen to be constellations seen in the Earth sky-that basically proves that Earth is the original Hub of our galaxy. Unfortuanately, that only leaves us with a total of 1.987 Billion addresses. An 8th chevron mulitplier gives us 63.6 Billion, and a 9th Chevron multiplier (unproven to be canon yet) brings it up to 1.971 Trillion.

That's a lot of gates. But, there could be a lot of planets left out. We do know that the 8th Chevron allowed dialing into the Ida galaxy, but presumably the symbols were the same to allow dialing back to Earth. (Using constellations seen from Earth, again indicating Earth as Gate#1) Perhaps, the 9th Chevron is needed to dial Pegasus. The Asgard stated that the Ancients had moved on from our region of space, meaning our galaxy and Ida, which could mean that the Pegasus system are newer gates. To allow travel back to Earth however, they would have to have the same symbols, or otherwise completely rechart the universe from Pegasus, which I'm sure wouldn't be a problem for the Ancients

Andy867
May 13th, 2004, 10:40 AM
From my understanding, the Atlantis team will be using the 8th Chevron to dial out to the Pegasus Galaxy.

Mio
May 13th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Atlantis was the original hub of the milky way galaxy. But now is in the Pegasus galaxy. Thus there are two main hubs in Pegasus Galaxy, Atlantis, and ........... you guessed it, the Wraith homeworld.

No one said that the gate in orbit of the wraith homeworld was the newer revision. Why would the ancients make two? Surely they would only want the 'best' gate in the "crown jewel" of their empire.

r3tude
May 31st, 2004, 01:22 PM
Everyone is assuming that the stagate network was developed on our understanding of physics. The tolan could send a transmission of light to the nox in a matter of hours not years which is within our understanding of light speed.

So therefore perhaps they have created the stargate more like fibreoptics where light and radio transmissions would just by bounce down the other end/ or perhaps theres no splash from the hub stargate in the pegasus galaxy because that one uses space folding technology instead of worm holes, which also would explain the fact than the city could travel with it.

I'm sounding like a proper scifi geek now so i'll shut up.

One more thing is don't they find another stargate on earth to travel to the pegasus galaxy, so won't that contradict the intergalagtic travelling city theory. :cool:

shinyredpants
May 31st, 2004, 01:25 PM
are there any pictures avail. to see of the blue stargate? not clips, but pictures, images, still thingies

Andy867
May 31st, 2004, 03:38 PM
http://www.stargateatlantis.com/images/gatecity.jpg

shinyredpants
May 31st, 2004, 03:42 PM
ooh that's pretty

David85
May 31st, 2004, 04:00 PM
Everyone is assuming that the stagate network was developed on our understanding of physics. The tolan could send a transmission of light to the nox in a matter of hours not years which is within our understanding of light speed.

So therefore perhaps they have created the stargate more like fibreoptics where light and radio transmissions would just by bounce down the other end/ or perhaps theres no splash from the hub stargate in the pegasus galaxy because that one uses space folding technology instead of worm holes, which also would explain the fact than the city could travel with it.

I'm sounding like a proper scifi geek now so i'll shut up.

One more thing is don't they find another stargate on earth to travel to the pegasus galaxy, so won't that contradict the intergalagtic travelling city theory. :cool:

That would also explain why when going through the wormhole it looks different, maybe it's "folding' space and creating a wormhole too?

Another Stargate? That sounds kind of lame, and I have not heard about that rumour yet.

Mio
May 31st, 2004, 04:11 PM
ooh that's pretty It's also not the gate....sorry, that's just what they put on the site, but here's an actual shot:

http://www.scifi.com/atlantis/gallery/images/gal6.jpg

are the chevrons bigger (9 thingies around the gate, for those of you who don't know the difference between a chevron and a gate symbol), or is it just me?

shinyredpants
May 31st, 2004, 04:20 PM
they do look a touch bigger in my opinion, but i'm not sure =)

Andy867
May 31st, 2004, 04:56 PM
Well, seeing as how thats just a artist concept and not the actual gate, there is a good chance the chevrons are the same size as that in the stargate on Earth and around our known side of the galaxy.

Mio
May 31st, 2004, 06:07 PM
Well, seeing as how thats just a artist concept and not the actual gate, there is a good chance the chevrons are the same size as that in the stargate on Earth and around our known side of the galaxy.
That's a concept? I thought it looked like an actual shot.

Shadow Gate
May 31st, 2004, 06:27 PM
That's a concept? I thought it looked like an actual shot.
I think he meant the first picture. Perhaps he didn't see the second.

IMO the first pic looks like a cooler gate but the second one is what it looks like, I am pretty sure. It still looks cool though.

Ugly Pig
June 1st, 2004, 03:26 AM
It's also not the gate....sorry, that's just what they put on the site, but here's an actual shot:
Thank you! I've been wanting to look at that picture again, but I forgot where I saw it the first time and have been unable to find it.

Dang, that gate looks cool...

Chi
June 1st, 2004, 05:47 AM
First post :D I love the look of the atlantis gate. The chevrons look like dots? I think they could be points of stars as viewed from atlantis or something like that, just wot Scruff said in his post. I thought Abydos was in our galaxy? Anyhow, wot still gets me is how the f00king hell do earth stargate's have enough energy to get the team all the way out to another galaxy? Naquadriah generator? :|
I think the blue signifies that the gate is in a different galaxy OR it's a different power source. Maybe there's no naquadah in the pegasus galaxy (although there *COULD* be). It could also be the central hub since the planet that atlantis is on is where the ancients started when making the pegasus stargate system. Just like when you goto a new place with no map, you find directions from key points in the place's surroundings. Makes you wonder if the ancients made earth their first home before going off into the pegasus galaxy? I dont doubt that either because of the gene theory.

Anubis
June 1st, 2004, 06:55 AM
The Atlantis gate does look very cool with the dots in all, but wouldn't that get confusing? Well, they're all smart so let them figure it out

Shadow Gate
June 1st, 2004, 10:30 AM
The symbols are only dots when inactivated, when the gate is activated and dialing, the symbols light up and form a spinning track made of light, which should look like the first pic of the Atlantis gate up there, the one that was just concept art.

Scruff
June 2nd, 2004, 07:51 PM
Chi, to answer the question about power, the gate system most likely uses either stored energy in capacitor-like crystals. These crystals could possibly be charged by solar or more likely geothermal energy. But, since the Antarctica gate was so low on power, it had either become disconnected form it's power source, or the capacitor theory is correct and it had a depleated charge.

The SGC gate is powered by good old fashioned electricity. That's why Hammond made the comment that it cost 7 Billion dollars a year just to turn on the lights.

Mio
June 3rd, 2004, 02:40 AM
One billion. 7 billion was for the whole operation.

Anubis
June 3rd, 2004, 02:42 AM
Quite right. One billion for the lights and six billion for the remainder of the project

Bogopimp
June 3rd, 2004, 06:19 AM
how cool is that though! I mean, some dudes just say one day! "come on chaps, lets move this city, ohh, i dunno, another galaxy ?". How cool :D I cant wait for atlantis to start!

btw, are we assuming the wraith are pure evil? from what i have read they live off life, and so need other races to survive. Sound sliek a case of survival to me, not being evil. Maybe soon ill be proved wrong :)

r3tude
July 14th, 2004, 07:20 AM
NEW!! intell of why the Atlantis Stargate is Blue, also why they can't get home.

check out the Pic

auir999
September 10th, 2004, 03:27 PM
or it could be just an upgraded verion, or a galaxy marker. like different gates in different galaxies, so they now where they are (or an idea of where they are)

Madeleine
September 10th, 2004, 07:19 PM
It made me think of a computer game I used to play - Eye of the Beholder. You had to travel through doorways and portals and things, and every now and then on reaching a new level everything was sort of the same but different. When I saw the new gate in Rising I thought "Hey! New Level!" :)

cobraR478
September 10th, 2004, 07:26 PM
lol. We haven't even beaten the boss on level 1 yet. Wtf kind of game is this?

Mio
September 10th, 2004, 07:29 PM
lol. We haven't even beaten the boss on level 1 yet. Wtf kind of game is this?
We need to get the ZPM from Level 2, then pass it back to Level 1. <nod>

I wonder what's in Level 3......

cobraR478
September 10th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Level 3 = Furling domination of the Galaxy.

ToastBusters
September 11th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Yummy... dinosaur thread.

AmyE
September 11th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Holy cow! You may not be able to find a mini replica of the gate to sit on your computer, but look what I found online for sale....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18839&item=2267575759&rd=1

Andy867
September 11th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Sweet. Might have to talk my dad into reserving that or a similar one for a seminar next year sometime;)

AmyE
September 11th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Have you ever had the urge just to go to the home depot and construct your own replica gate? The perfect spot for mine will be right at the egde of my diving board into the swimming pool. Or, maybe I should just write the producers of "Monster House" to come and construct me a "Stargate House".

hawkmajor
July 2nd, 2009, 05:18 AM
Have you ever had the urge just to go to the home depot and construct your own replica gate?
it'd take time tho & youd need 22ft+ of materialsx2 plus a dhd

suse
July 2nd, 2009, 05:27 AM
Because it's a different Galaxy... and after making thousands in Gunmetal grey, I think they wanted some nice blue ones.

:D Myself? I'd have preferred hot pink... ;)

I'm fairly certain the gate on the ship is supposed to befar older than anything we've seen so far.

suse

hawkmajor
July 2nd, 2009, 05:28 AM
ship???

LtColCarter
July 2nd, 2009, 05:45 AM
ship???

I think he/she means on Atlantis. Since the city is a space ship!

hawkmajor
July 2nd, 2009, 05:48 AM
I think he/she means on Atlantis. Since the city is a space ship!

Or... 'ship' could mean the Destiny because that has a gate

hawkmajor
July 2nd, 2009, 05:53 AM
far older than anything we've seen so far. [/SPOILERS]

suse

but the Aincients moved from MW to pegasus and didnt take the gate with them because the beta gate from earth was found in antarctica

suse
July 2nd, 2009, 05:55 AM
^^ That. Sorry, haven't been keeping up with SGU beyond what I skim on the occasions I read Joe's blog. Didn't realize you weren't talking about that gate. Leaving now. :)

suse

hawkmajor
July 2nd, 2009, 05:57 AM
nor did i... just a guess

hawkmajor
July 2nd, 2009, 05:58 AM
NEW!! intell of why the Atlantis Stargate is Blue, also why they can't get home.

check out the Pic

the pic doesnt work on my pc

jelgate
July 2nd, 2009, 07:20 AM
the pic doesnt work on my pc

Well that post is 5 years old. The pic may no longer exist or have been corrupted.

LtColCarter
July 2nd, 2009, 09:40 AM
^^ That. Sorry, haven't been keeping up with SGU beyond what I skim on the occasions I read Joe's blog. Didn't realize you weren't talking about that gate. Leaving now. :)

suse

No, this isn't talking abot SGU

nor did i... just a guess

If you look at when this thread started...it was back in '04...

hawkmajor
July 3rd, 2009, 12:29 AM
cheers