PDA

View Full Version : Could Carter replace Weir? SPOILERS

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

FoolishPleasure
April 9th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Okay... just looked at the pic again. Something is definitely wrong with that picture. The injuries are still very new and Weir looks completely normal, I don't see how that's possible. There's something here we don't know yet.

Its the infamous (and much hated) "reset button". The writers use it all the time. ;)

Uber
April 9th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Okay... just looked at the pic again. Something is definitely wrong with that picture. The injuries are still very new and Weir looks completely normal, I don't see how that's possible. There's something here we don't know yet.What if she's only with them in spirit? Like...she's in a coma or something?

sanssong
April 9th, 2007, 11:22 AM
What if she's only with them in spirit? Like...she's in a coma or something?

Now, that's along the lines of what I was thinking. I just don't see how you can make an injury like hers disapear that fast.

sanssong
April 9th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Its the infamous (and much hated) "reset button". The writers use it all the time. ;)

I wouldn't put it past them to do that, but why just her injuries and not everyone elses?

Skydiver
April 9th, 2007, 11:24 AM
sarcophagi anyone?

or y'all remember the nifty trick shep learned from the wraith in counterstrike was it???? 'the gift of life'

the plot devices exist, if the writers choose to employ them

Wormhole
April 9th, 2007, 11:26 AM
So anyone else seen this?????

From JM's Blog waiting to be answered.

Anonymous said...
Amanda Tapping said in an interview for SciFi Mag that Samantha Carter is going to be the leader of Atlantis. Can you confirm that?

P.S. Im not said about it I just want to know if this is true. And it would at least be the end for those posts about her ship. ;-)

Carter wasn’t there to replace Weir. *Coughs*

Suzotchka
April 9th, 2007, 11:27 AM
sarcophagi anyone?

or y'all remember the nifty trick shep learned from the wraith in counterstrike was it???? 'the gift of life'

I thought it might have something to do with that "Tao of Rodney" episode and what Rodney found. Might explain the rumors surrounding him too.

scarimor
April 9th, 2007, 11:28 AM
children, children, children.

Do i need to break out the noodle????? :)
Noooooooooooo...! :samanime24:

*runs*

:samanime20:

sanssong
April 9th, 2007, 11:29 AM
sarcophagi anyone?

As I said, there are aparently important things about this ep we don't know yet.

Skydiver
April 9th, 2007, 11:29 AM
i'm not up on spoilers for s4 beyond the casting changes. but anything is possible.

I'm just saying that there are ways to explain what the pictures show.

FoolishPleasure
April 9th, 2007, 11:30 AM
I wouldn't put it past them to do that, but why just her injuries and not everyone elses?

Someone mentioned it possibly being a "clip" show. TPTB took a lot of heat for not having the characters reminiscing about Beckett, so maybe they are going to refer to her, and show clips to make fans "happy". :rolleyes:

sanssong
April 9th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Someone mentioned it possibly being a "clip" show. TPTB took a lot of heat for not having the characters reminiscing about Beckett, so maybe they are going to refer to her, and show clips to make fans "happy". :rolleyes:

That's was my initial thought, but I looked again at the pic and sure enough, Rodney and Ronon both show the injuries from First Strike. If it's Weir with them "in spirit" that would make sense.

PG15
April 9th, 2007, 11:37 AM
It was extremely convenient for them to decide to get rid of Weir and then of course get Carter who they wanted for a very long time. In a perfect world those two wouldn't be connected.

For crying out loud; why don't you show me some evidence that point to this crackpot theory instead of relying on "convenience"? From my standpoint, you're the one lying and conspiracy-ing.

This is not a lie no matter how much you want it to be, unless you can provide that hard evidence. Like, you know, a statement from the cast, crew, or TPTB that says what you're saying.

Okay, not a lie, just one more of his games with fans. As I said, he wanted to shut us up by giving us something he knew we would grab, he knew we're so eager for something to hold on to that he gave us the bait, something we would take as a positive sign, that would give us hope and deceiving us this way. And then a few days later we get Cooper saying "That's just not going to happen". All the hope aquired from that photo went down the drain then.

As Skydiver and others have said, TPTB isn't a hive mind. Joe posted the photo, and then later Rob said those things; heck, given that Rob did it in a magazine interview, it's likely it was done weeks ago, a long time before Joe posted the photo. There is more evidence suggesting that there are no connections than there is otherwise.

I rarely say this, but please, get real. TPTB aren't rubbing their hands together, sitting in front of the computer screen, and cackling at the wittle pwo fans getting confused. Stop it with the conspiracy theories and look at some of the hard evidence.

Maybe that's an exception? Things are not black and white.

Or maybe it's not? Why do you want to look for malicious reasons?

Oh please, Mallozzi is known to be doing that. He loves to stir pot, how many times has this been said here and you never picked up on it? Everybody agrees, people who have been following his blogging for even longer than I have.

Oh, everybody agrees now? More generalization. I read his blog everyday and all I can see are food reviews, tidbits of info he chooses to let go for whatever reason, and utter pwnage (sorry prion ;)) of complete idiots making fools of themselves, and thinking of themselves as more significant than they really are.

And here's a final piece of wisdom for those condemning Joe for "stirring the pot"; why not look inward, and try to stop being "stirred"? You can't control him, so why not control yourselves and stop being fired up by his comments?

Uber
April 9th, 2007, 11:48 AM
So anyone else seen this?????

From JM's Blog waiting to be answered.

Carter wasn’t there to replace Weir. *Coughs*Erm...no one said Carter wouldn't replace Weir. Not one person. Not Joe, not Brad, not Cooper. None of them said at anytime that Carter was not going to replace Weir. The only ones who suggested otherwise were fans who speculated what they'd believe would happen...but at no time did any PTB say otherwise.

Suzotchka
April 9th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Erm...no one said Carter wouldn't replace Weir. Not one person. Not Joe, not Brad, not Cooper. None of them said at anytime that Carter was not going to replace Weir. The only ones who suggested otherwise were fans who speculated what they'd believe would happen...but at no time did any PTB say otherwise.

Actually, I do remember reading it somewhere. When I get home from work tonight, I'll see if I can track it down.

Uber
April 9th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Actually, I do remember reading it somewhere. When I get home from work tonight, I'll see if I can track it down.Please do. If you have a source of one of TPTB saying otherwise, I'll publicly apologize.

Suzotchka
April 9th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Please do. If you have a source of one of TPTB saying otherwise, I'll publicly apologize.

I'll try. I can't remember if I saw it online or in a magazine I had read. But I will try and track it down. :) This computer here at work is so slow, it's sad. LOL

Puddle-Jumper
April 9th, 2007, 01:15 PM
I would love if carter replaced Weir. I think that carter could run the city well as she has a hand in the millitary and the science so she could make a fair judgement.....saying that I don't dislike weir she is an excellent leader but if they are going to replace her I would like to see carter come in as leader

Shipperahoy
April 9th, 2007, 01:20 PM
I honestly don't blame TPTB for being as evasive about the subject as they are. I mean, they can't exactly just outright tell everyone what exactly is going to happen to Weir and exactly what position Carter will hold on Atlantis because they don't want to give away the storylines for future episodes. They can't outright say exactly how many eps Torri will be in or in what capacity she's still involved in the show because they don't want to confirm if Weir's even alive or dead because that was left hanging at the end of the season. That's reasonable to me. Unfortunately that means that there are going to be a lot of non-answers and subtle hints that people can interpret as they like. So I don't really quite understand why people get so bent out of shape because TPTB aren't exactly being forthcoming.

Truskawka
April 9th, 2007, 01:20 PM
That's was my initial thought, but I looked again at the pic and sure enough, Rodney and Ronon both show the injuries from First Strike. If it's Weir with them "in spirit" that would make sense.

What pic? The link please?

PG15
April 9th, 2007, 01:25 PM
What pic? The link please?

http://bp1.blogger.com/_bu0vVgPPyEs/Rg3Qo6YPkuI/AAAAAAAACZg/zVRFKP3cGhI/s1600-h/DSC03126.JPG

Falcon Horus
April 9th, 2007, 02:05 PM
If it's Weir with them "in spirit" that would make sense.

Oh pulease...not again. :mckay:

Steve_the_Wraith
April 9th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Um why can't this be a flashback?

I don't see any scars on Rodney or Ronon

Falcon Horus
April 9th, 2007, 02:34 PM
I don't see any scars on Rodney or Ronon

First Strike spoiler...

Because Ronon is sporting a big white band-aid on his left-shouder, where the glass was sticking out in First Strike. And the scars on Rodney's face are visible if you know where to look. The quality of the picture isn't exactly print-quality.

the dancer of spaz
April 9th, 2007, 02:37 PM
First Strike spoilers
[spoilers]Because Ronon is sporting a big white band-aid on his left-shouder, where the glass was sticking out in First Strike. And the scars on Rodney's face are visible if you know where to look. The quality of the picture isn't exactly print-quality.[spoilers]

First Strike
But we know that Liz was severely injured.

And we've also heard/read that...
she has brain surgery or some sort of intensive surgery.

So I don't know. I think this is another one of those instances where we need to wait for more information before we hazard a guess.

But I'm willing to accept that it's a flashback or a false reality of some sort...

Skydiver
April 9th, 2007, 03:17 PM
aah guys, spoiler tags please. Some of us haven't even SEEN the second half of s3 yet.

Now to use another analogy...anyone watch BSG? No wait, how about a more generic example. Dallas. Who Shot JR.

biggest cliffie in history. WORLDWIDE speculation. now that was obviously pre net days, but can you imagine the letdown if, after the cliffie airs in may, by the first of june it's already been leaked 'eh, don't worry about it. not only does jr survive, but kristen did it'

why the heck watch?

the fate of Weir and the crew is part of the s3 cliffie and the powers that be aren't dumb enough to answer that cliffie and ruin it and the interest it breeds.

tis the natur of the game adn how things work. they're not gonna tell us about Weir anymore than the lost folks are gonna tell us the secret of hte island and RDM will tell us in which episode the galactica finds earth plus the identity of those last few cylons

mysteries brew interest and characters in jeopardy do the same thing. And no one is gonna burst that bubble before its time

sanssong
April 9th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Oh pulease...not again. :mckay:

Not again for what?

Uber
April 9th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Not again for what?Yeah...I didn't get that either.

sanssong
April 9th, 2007, 05:05 PM
So I don't know. I think this is another one of those instances where we need to wait for more information before we hazard a guess.

But I'm willing to accept that it's a flashback or a false reality of some sort...

That's where my money is as well. I just don't see any other explaination for it.

prion
April 9th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Oh, everybody agrees now? More generalization. I read his blog everyday and all I can see are food reviews, tidbits of info he chooses to let go for whatever reason, and utter pwnage (sorry prion ;)) of complete idiots making fools of themselves, and thinking of themselves as more significant than they really are.

Uh, uh, what? Sorry, can you translate 'utter pwnage' into English??

And here's a final piece of wisdom for those condemning Joe for "stirring the pot"; why not look inward, and try to stop being "stirred"? You can't control him, so why not control yourselves and stop being fired up by his comments?

That's why I take so much of what he says with a shaker of salt. However, most of the comments that stir up fans are in magazine articles that SciFi puts out.

Mitchell82
April 9th, 2007, 07:39 PM
aah guys, spoiler tags please. Some of us haven't even SEEN the second half of s3 yet.

Now to use another analogy...anyone watch BSG? No wait, how about a more generic example. Dallas. Who Shot JR.

biggest cliffie in history. WORLDWIDE speculation. now that was obviously pre net days, but can you imagine the letdown if, after the cliffie airs in may, by the first of june it's already been leaked 'eh, don't worry about it. not only does jr survive, but kristen did it'why the heck watch?

the fate of Weir and the crew is part of the s3 cliffie and the powers that be aren't dumb enough to answer that cliffie and ruin it and the interest it breeds.

tis the natur of the game adn how things work. they're not gonna tell us about Weir anymore than the lost folks are gonna tell us the secret of hte island and RDM will tell us in which episode the galactica finds earth plus the identity of those last few cylons

mysteries brew interest and characters in jeopardy do the same thing. And no one is gonna burst that bubble before its time
LOL yeah that would suck, but the way it was resolved sucked anyway.

ACharmedAsgard
April 10th, 2007, 03:16 AM
Carter could not replace Weir! However she is going to make a fine addition :D:D:D:D:D

Cam_Mitchell
April 10th, 2007, 04:12 AM
How fit will carter we sitting in weirs office, im up for the carter/weir swap, weir is a GREAT character but carter would look better in charge lolz,

--Gaz--

SGFerrit
April 10th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Is it possible Weir will ascend? In the pictures, despite Ronon and Rodney still having fresh marks from the attack, she looks fine. And notice she was very 'up' on the ascension thing in 'The Tao of Rodney', looks like she had been trying the meditation/ascension stuff herself possibly?

We also heard early on that she will be an important part of an arc this season, her ascension could help with that?

She could possibly stay and watch over Atlantis, meaning she will still lay a big part in some stories?

Possibly?

ACharmedAsgard
April 10th, 2007, 04:24 AM
Is it possible Weir will ascend? In the pictures, despite Ronon and Rodney still having fresh marks from the attack, she looks fine. And notice she was very 'up' on the ascension thing in 'The Tao of Rodney', looks like she had been trying the meditation/ascension stuff herself possibly?

We also heard early on that she will be an important part of an arc this season, her ascension could help with that?

She could possibly stay and watch over Atlantis, meaning she will still lay a big part in some stories?

Possibly?
Could do - but personnally asention is starting to bore me and some other fans.

It was supposed to be a great accomplisment now it's available to buy for everyone if you understand me

Wormhole
April 10th, 2007, 04:50 AM

Possibly?

Afraid not. JM has already stated that she won’t ascend.

One thought did come time mind though, we know she has Brain Surgery but are we 100% sure she has it in Atlantis?;) .

SGFerrit
April 10th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Oh, ok then.

sanssong
April 10th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Afraid not. JM has already stated that she won’t ascend.

One thought did come time mind though, we know she has Brain Surgery but are we 100% sure she has it in Atlantis?;) .

No, we're not sure of that at all. More information is needed!

Suzotchka
April 10th, 2007, 08:47 AM
No, we're not sure of that at all. More information is needed!

More from JM's old blogs:

TauriSith writes: “Is Elzabeth going to be horribly injured, ascend, and then be a recurring character?”

Answer: No.

So according to JM, she does not ascend.

As for the brain surgery, who knows. But people who were in Vancouver who took the tour of the set were told "this is where Weir has brain surgery."

prion
April 10th, 2007, 08:59 AM

TauriSith writes: “Is Elzabeth going to be horribly injured, ascend, and then be a recurring character?”

As for the brain surgery, who knows. But people who were in Vancouver who took the tour of the set were told "this is where Weir has brain surgery."

You know, brain surgery IS serious business, but then nobody on the writing staff knows much about medicine ;)

prion
April 10th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Could do - but personnally asention is starting to bore me and some other fans.

It was supposed to be a great accomplisment now it's available to buy for everyone if you understand me

To me, ascension is like the holodeck. It's a cop-out for real writing. used very sparingly, it's one thing, but heck, on SG1 they ascended a whole friggin' group of people when Ska'ra and his folk got blown up by Anubis (think that was the goa'uld).

But er, what topic is this again ? ;)

jenks
April 10th, 2007, 09:02 AM

That isn't proof she won't ascend, especially considering it was Joe who wrote it, all it is is proof that she won't be horribly injured, ascend, and then be a recurring character.

Falcon Horus
April 10th, 2007, 10:13 AM
That isn't proof she won't ascend, especially considering it was Joe who wrote it, all it is is proof that she won't be horribly injured, ascend, and then be a recurring character.

* She may be horribly injured but not ascend.
* She may not be recurring. (but not an option since yes, recurring)
* She may not be horribly injured but she will ascend.

sanssong
April 10th, 2007, 10:24 AM

Excuse me, but what more do you require for proof? He said no to the ascention and don't start with the "JM lies all the time" stuff either. He said she doesn't ascend.

sanssong
April 10th, 2007, 10:26 AM
* She may be horribly injured but not ascend.
* She may not be recurring. (but not an option since yes, recurring)
* She may not be horribly injured but she will ascend.

He could also have meant she won't be recurring anymore after what ever happens to her happens. RC seemed to indicate that she was going away for good. In which case, he was saying no to all the above.

Uber
April 10th, 2007, 10:32 AM
He could also have meant she won't be recurring anymore after what ever happens to her happens. RC seemed to indicate that she was going away for good. In which case, he was saying no to all the above.Actually I got the exact opposite impression...that yes, some fans would be upset and that was sad for them and all but that keeping her around was not going to happen and that she wasn't coming back.

What did you see that suggested otherwise?

vaberella
April 10th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Actually I got the exact opposite impression...that yes, some fans would be upset and that was sad for them and all but that keeping her around was not going to happen and that she wasn't coming back.

What did you see that suggested otherwise?

Über...you and Sanssong seem to be saying the same thing, from what I can see. I could be wrong though, this week has started out with me in many "Bush" moments. :rolleyes: :(

Uber
April 10th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Über...you and Sanssong seem to be saying the same thing, from what I can see. I could be wrong though, this week has started out with me in many "Bush" moments. :rolleyes: :(Oh geez. I thought I read "wasN'T going away for good." That's just great...now I'm imagining contractions where none exist.

And I can't even blame my allergy medication since I just took it.

*sigh*

I'll just call it a blonde moment and simply move on from there.

*blushes profusely*

sanssong
April 10th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Oh geez. I thought I read "wasN'T going away for good." That's just great...now I'm imagining contractions where none exist.

And I can't even blame my allergy medication since I just took it.

*sigh*

I'll just call it a blonde moment and simply move on from there.

*blushes profusely*

LOL.... We all have our blonde moments! How funny is that?

jenks
April 10th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Excuse me, but what more do you require for proof? He said no to the ascention and don't start with the "JM lies all the time" stuff either. He said she doesn't ascend.

I'm not saying he's lying, and I don't think I ever have, I just know that he chooses his words very carefully and he didn't actually say she would ascend, he said she wouldn't do all those things.

sanssong
April 10th, 2007, 03:05 PM
I'm not saying he's lying, and I don't think I ever have, I just know that he chooses his words very carefully and he didn't actually say she would ascend, he said she wouldn't do all those things.

I think you're reading too much into his response.

jenks
April 10th, 2007, 03:13 PM
I think you're reading too much into his response.

It's me who is purposely not reading much into his response, you've concluded that Weir won't ascend, but he didn't actually say that.

prion
April 10th, 2007, 03:59 PM

You have to be very precise in asknig JM questions, but then again, his answers are usually vague. You can read anything in what he says, or doesnt' say. However, I hope they don't pull out that worn chestnut of ascending people. BORING.

sanssong
April 10th, 2007, 04:12 PM
It's me who is purposely not reading much into his response, you've concluded that Weir won't ascend, but he didn't actually say that.

I don't think we're going to agree on this one.

sanssong
April 10th, 2007, 04:13 PM
You have to be very precise in asknig JM questions, but then again, his answers are usually vague. You can read anything in what he says, or doesnt' say. However, I hope they don't pull out that worn chestnut of ascending people. BORING.

True, he is very careful in what he answers, and you're right, I'm thinking ascending isn't the most engaging story line.

SG1Guy
April 10th, 2007, 04:53 PM
As for that picture we keep talking about I'm wondering if it's a composite. None of them seem to have anything to do with the others in the pix and that's no puddle jumper I can recognize.

Steve_the_Wraith
April 10th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Fresh from Joe's Blog

Anonymous #2 writes: “ Now that Paul has been contracted for two episodes in the back half of season 4 is there any chance to have a count on how many episodes Torri has been contracted for?”

Answer: So far, she has been contracted for four episodes.

Remember they're still in the planning stages for the second half of the season

sanssong
April 10th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Fresh from Joe's Blog

Remember they're still in the planning stages for the second half of the season

Well, that's two more, that I thought she'd be in. I'm wondering when she goes away for good?

Skydiver
April 10th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Well, that's two more, that I thought she'd be in. I'm wondering when she goes away for good?
more like if.

this is scifi, no one is gone forever

Steve_the_Wraith
April 10th, 2007, 05:03 PM
more like if.

this is scifi, no one is gone forever
I remember when Gateworld fans used to hate that phrase and anytime it was mentioned some of them would say it was all an excuse for killing people off,
oh the good old days of yesterday

Mitchell82
April 10th, 2007, 05:58 PM

Same here. I'm glad she'll be in atleast this many.

SG1Guy
April 10th, 2007, 06:37 PM
If they're going to kill her off then get along and do it for crying out loud. Why drag it out, it will just be like an ongoing toothache for Weir fans.

Get it over and done with or don't do it all.

Uber
April 10th, 2007, 06:41 PM
If they're going to kill her off then get along and do it for crying out loud. Why drag it out, it will just be like an ongoing toothache for Weir fans.

Get it over and done with or don't do it all.Well...I don't know what they're planning but I do know there's a slight problem with your idea.

Season 4 hasn't started airing yet.

What's worse, the last half of Season 3 hasn't even BEGUN to air.

We're not expecting Season 4 'til fall sometime. That's like 8 MONTHS away.

There's no way around that I'm afraid.

SG1Guy
April 10th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Well...I don't know what they're planning but I do know there's a slight problem with your idea.

Season 4 hasn't started airing yet.

What's worse, the last half of Season 3 hasn't even BEGUN to air.

We're not expecting Season 4 'til fall sometime. That's like 8 MONTHS away.

There's no way around that I'm afraid.

I have given up trying to figure out which episodes will air when. We have seen all of season three here and I'm expecting that season 4 will begin this month or next.
When I say kill her or keep her I speak in the future sense. This business of will she be back, will she be in 4 episodes, will she ascend and reoccur and so on is irksome. I'm hoping she gets resolved in the first one or two episodes. I also hope they save her and keep her in the show even with AT on board.

PG15
April 10th, 2007, 09:18 PM
I have given up trying to figure out which episodes will air when. We have seen all of season three here and I'm expecting that season 4 will begin this month or next.

Not going to happen.

Mitchell82
April 10th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Not going to happen.

Yeah keep dreaming. It hasnt even finished premlinary shooting on the first half yet. You won't see it before we do.

SG1Guy
April 10th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Yeah keep dreaming. It hasnt even finished premlinary shooting on the first half yet. You won't see it before we do.

"Keep dreaming?"

What's the point of a reply like that? And who is we?

SG1Guy
April 10th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Not going to happen.

That was very informative.

PG15
April 10th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Short and sweet, always does the trick. ;)

Seriously though, the guys at bridge is only about 4 episodes into shooting, and is not even close to being done on post production. We have no idea when it's going to air, but no way will it be starting within the month.

SG1Guy
April 10th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Short and sweet, always does the trick. ;)

Seriously though, the guys at bridge is only about 4 episodes into shooting, and is not even close to being done on post production. We have no idea when it's going to air, but no way will it be starting within the month.

Well that's a pain. Why are they so far behind?

the dancer of spaz
April 10th, 2007, 11:43 PM

The production schedule is the same it's always been. The broadcast schedule comes from SciFi's desire to have year-round programming. Evidently, though BSG couldn't perform during the fall, SciFi seems to think that Atlantis will do just dandy.

Skydiver
April 11th, 2007, 04:54 AM
they're not behind. traditionally the new season begins the end of june/july. however rumor has it that this year season 4 will begin in the fall, aug/sept or so

their traditional shooting schedule is to begin marchish, shoot through may/june. take a month off, restart in august and shoot through octoberish (actual dates and times vary from year to year)

the show would begin airing at the end of june, air for 10 weeks, restart after the first of the year, ususally ending in march

scarimor
April 11th, 2007, 08:06 AM
However, I hope they don't pull out that worn chestnut of ascending people. BORING.
Very. I hope not too.

prion
April 11th, 2007, 08:43 AM
they're not behind. traditionally the new season begins the end of june/july. however rumor has it that this year season 4 will begin in the fall, aug/sept or so

their traditional shooting schedule is to begin marchish, shoot through may/june. take a month off, restart in august and shoot through octoberish (actual dates and times vary from year to year)

the show would begin airing at the end of june, air for 10 weeks, restart after the first of the year, ususally ending in march

Er, 'fall' is never August, not with Skiffy. I'msuspecting late Ocober/early November, just cuz Skiffy never does anything the right way ;)

jons242
April 11th, 2007, 08:55 AM
If Weir leaves the show, I
No, it has not. It's been said she will come in her own ship. That could simply mean she's commanding the ship in her first episode, but that could quickly lead to a command transfer. It could also mean that Carter has a personal ship, like a Puddle Jumper for example.

If she is in cammand of a battle cruser class ship like the Oddessy then she would have to be a full bird colonel which means she will out rank Shepard. In the past we see that only full colonels get to command a ship.

Ripple in Space
April 11th, 2007, 09:08 AM
If she is in cammand of a battle cruser class ship like the Oddessy then she would have to be a full bird colonel which means she will out rank Shepard. In the past we see that only full colonels get to command a ship.

This is Stargate. Anyone can command a multi-billion-dollar, "most powerful ship in two galaxies" BattleCruiser. Daniel assumed command in one ep, and he's an archaeologist.

NETAN
(on videoscreen)
Your ship is battered. My scans tell me your shield strength is low, and if you had hyperdrive, you would've left long ago. Surrender now, or be destroyed.

DANIEL
Right…Okey-dokey.
(he takes a deep breath)
We surrender.

[He shrugs innocently.]

NETAN
(on videoscreen)
Prepare to be boarded.

DANIEL
Yeah, that-that's where you're going to run into a bit of a problem. You see, our-our rings are damaged, and as you yourself pointed out, our shields are down, which means atmosphere in the 302 bays is unsustainable…

[He pauses and glances to see how Netan is taking this news. Netan appears irritated.]

DANIEL
I-I-I mean, I just don't see how we're gonna get your guys over here, unless you want me to try…beaming you over?

Out of 10 years, that was one of the only lines that had me laugh out loud, so I won't be too critical.

Anyway, I don't see the Odyssey making it over to Atlantis any time soon (on a permanent basis). Since nowadays it easily outclasses a small Wraith Armada. And since it's exponentially faster, it could just run around and pick off the smaller groups of hives.

Now Odyssey vs. Aurora and we're back to being the underdogs, but it would be too quick a battle. The Oddy would be destroyed the second drone deployment started.

I would like to see Carter show up in a Tau'ri/Goa'uld/Tok'ra/Lantean/Asgard tech, hybrid ship. Somewhere around Cargo ship-sized. Something experimental, and glitchy, but ultra-advanced, and powerful (for its size). Something that might be able to hold its own against a Cruiser or two, but not an Uber-Warship.

Skydiver
April 11th, 2007, 09:25 AM
it is possibly a ship that will show up in one of the movies and then be used in atl s4

My take is that sam will be in the peggy galaxy for some reason. something will happen to weir and 'hey, guess what, watch the store while she's gone okay??' and she'll be in a reluctant command.

jenks
April 11th, 2007, 09:32 AM

I think it's been confirmed that Carter will be a full bird colonel.

Suzotchka
April 11th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Thought this was interesting (regarding Carter's ship): Anonymous #9 writes: Anonymous 4 writes: "So, can you confirm Carter indeed comand her own spaceship?" Answer: I cannot. Why not ? You're a scriptwriter !

Answer: You’re not understanding my response. I can’t get anymore convoluted that that.

Darangen
April 11th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Could she replace Weir? Not unless she suddenly learns five languages, and then adds Ancient to that. And not unless she has some secret history as a diplomat/negotiator we don't know about.

It's not like Caldwell had those qualifications. They were going to make him in charge of Atlantis.

scarimor
April 11th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Thought this was interesting (regarding Carter's ship): Anonymous #9 writes: Anonymous 4 writes: "So, can you confirm Carter indeed comand her own spaceship?" Answer: I cannot. Why not ? You're a scriptwriter !

Answer: You’re not understanding my response. I can’t get anymore convoluted that that.
*boggle boggle boggle*

That's the sound of my mind trying to get to grips with the attitude demonstrated by the Anonymous... Anonymouses... Anonymii?

Oi, Joe! Send me a copy of the scripts for the next season of Stargate Atlantis pronto. I'm entitled to know what will happen before it comes on screen. I'm a fan, dontcha know :p

Oh, and if you don't, or if you give me a "maybe" answer to any of my detailed questions, or if you say you can't confirm a plot detail either way... you're toying with us and being evasive or lying, ok? :p

ReganX
April 11th, 2007, 02:14 PM

Sam already has seniority over Sheppard, but chances are that she will be promoted to full colonel to ensure a clear chain of command.

Killdeer
April 11th, 2007, 02:23 PM
It's not like Caldwell had those qualifications. They were going to make him in charge of Atlantis.

Yes, but he wasn't replacing Weir. He was only going to be military commander - Shep's position. Weir was still going to be expedition leader.

the dancer of spaz
April 11th, 2007, 04:26 PM
We never saw Weir utilize her linguist skills, and we rarely saw her use her knowledge of Ancient text to solve a problem for the city. Such opportunities to save the day were normally reserved for the other characters - namely Sheppard and McKay.

So yeah, by their own decisions, they didn't really make Weir irreplacable in terms of ability. I don't doubt her dedication or her abilities, but if it's down to a decision by the RL producers or the IOA on the series, I can see why it wouldn't be so difficult for them to replace her. :S But it's their fault in the first place, so...

Mitchell82
April 11th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Sam already has seniority over Sheppard, but chances are that she will be promoted to full colonel to ensure a clear chain of command.

Very likely. They will want to make sure there is a clear established chain of command.

Mitchell82
April 11th, 2007, 06:55 PM
We never saw Weir utilize her linguist skills, and we rarely saw her use her knowledge of Ancient text to solve a problem for the city. Such opportunities to save the day were normally reserved for the other characters - namely Sheppard and McKay.

So yeah, by their own decisions, they didn't really make Weir irreplacable in terms of ability. I don't doubt her dedication or her abilities, but if it's down to a decision by the RL producers or the IOA on the series, I can see why it wouldn't be so difficult for them to replace her. :S But it's their fault in the first place, so...

Very true. I do like Weir I really do and she has been a great assset but has not been utilized very well, so I see how it wouldnt be that hard for the IOA to replace her especially after the events of "First Strike".

vaberella
April 12th, 2007, 04:45 AM
Agreed...using her linguistic skill as a reasonable excuse to why she's indispensible is non-sense. We haven't met a country with the same evolutionary level as Earth, let alone language. Only slight derivatives have matched but nothing more. As for Ancient text, she doesn't speak it or really understand it from what I can tell. She had books giving her a very rough idea of Ancient, but she is fluent in Latin which is considered a derivative; as seen in Epiphany. But again if you don't have basic teaching in Ancient in my book then you could just be interpretting crap. One word could have 10 meanings depending on context.

Even in Echoes Weir was a disappointment...all I saw was statements of the obvious as seen in Epiphany (even Rodney and Teyla rolled their eyes at Weir in Epiphany). Unfortunately she hasn't been effective, even with the supposed skills.

True, but we are in another galaxy where her language skills wouldn't be that much of a preponent. And her skills are trumped by the fact that Teyla has traded with "HUNDREDS" of planets (as she stated in S1) and so must have some language ability if we go with the idea that these people have different languages. As for Ancient...again different word/different contexts even if latin is a derivative. We've seen Weir make speculative guesses based on her "love" of the ancients and their superior intelligence added which then manipulates her other decisions; but nothing really concrete towards her indispense.

So far actually they've made her a liability especially with the Michael situation which has now exacerbated a problem to the utmost---and when humans had just the problem of the wraith they now have bug babies, going nutty. If this situation was real and I was from the PG, there is no accounting to my hatred of the Atlantis Ex in paticular Weir if I was privy to the decisions made resulting to Michael and our situation now.

prion
April 12th, 2007, 05:01 AM
Very true. I do like Weir I really do and she has been a great assset but has not been utilized very well, so I see how it wouldnt be that hard for the IOA to replace her especially after the events of "First Strike".

In First Strike, Weir wasn't keen on the pre-emptive strike. The military on earth decided to go lob rocks at the hornet's nest without using the brains god gave a gnat to realize the asurans would retaliate. It was very boneheaded to launch the attack.

prion
April 12th, 2007, 05:03 AM
I think it's been confirmed that Carter will be a full bird colonel.

No, there is no confirmation until the studio/writers say so. - hell, not until we see it on screen, really. Fans speculate a LOT.

vaberella
April 12th, 2007, 05:37 AM
In First Strike, Weir wasn't keen on the pre-emptive strike. The military on earth decided to go lob rocks at the hornet's nest without using the brains god gave a gnat to realize the asurans would retaliate. It was very boneheaded to launch the attack.

When Mitchell mentioned the IOA replacing Weir after the events of First Strike, I don't think she meant on any decisions Weir made or did not make. I think she was referring to the fact the IOA allowed the military to concieve a plan, put it in effect WITHOUT informing Weir of the events as they progressed; until the last minute.

Thus, making Weir's input unnecessary. She then now becomes a puppet leader and not one with any clout. This status is then the reason why the IOA would replace her; she's unimportant to the Earth/PG decision-making process. I still stand by, that after S2 she has plenty to answer for exclduing FS. I'll never understand Woolsey. :(

jenks
April 12th, 2007, 05:47 AM
No, there is no confirmation until the studio/writers say so. - hell, not until we see it on screen, really. Fans speculate a LOT.

I got this from Stargate Solutions, the article is talking about the article in the Sci Fi mag:

"According to the article, Tapping’s Carter will be a full-bird Colonel and become the Atlantis base commander in civilian Dr. Elizabeth Weir’s stead. Concerning Weir’s replacement and Torri Higginson’s reduction to recurring status, executive producer Robert C. Cooper stated:..."

smurf
April 12th, 2007, 06:18 AM
I got this from Stargate Solutions, the article is talking about the article in the Sci Fi mag:

"According to the article, Tapping’s Carter will be a full-bird Colonel and become the Atlantis base commander in civilian Dr. Elizabeth Weir’s stead. Concerning Weir’s replacement and Torri Higginson’s reduction to recurring status, executive producer Robert C. Cooper stated:..."
The Sci Fi mag article doesn't mention any actual promotion.
It does refer to the character once in the introduction as Col. Samantha Carter, but that could be just a mistake since I've seen magazine interviews from season 9 where the character was referred to as Major Carter.

GateLadyM
April 12th, 2007, 07:06 AM
As for Ancient text, she doesn't speak it or really understand it from what I can tell. She had books giving her a very rough idea of Ancient, but she is fluent in Latin which is considered a derivative; as seen in Epiphany. But again if you don't have basic teaching in Ancient in my book then you could just be interpretting crap. One word could have 10 meanings depending on context.
Weir is supposed to be a linguist, who knows multiple languages, plus she has spent a considerable amount of time with Daniel Jackson so I'm sure she honed up on her Ancient translations before she left on the expedition.

Even in Echoes Weir was a disappointment...all I saw was statements of the obvious as seen in Epiphany (even Rodney and Teyla rolled their eyes at Weir in Epiphany).
I don't know anything about Rodney and Teyla rolling eyes at Weir's stupidity in Epiphany. Weir DID translate the Ancient text on the wall just fine when the others couldn't. I'm not sure what you saw, but I doubt TPTB would have zeroed in on a "rolling of eyes" at another character. That would have been a rather mean thing for them to have done.

And her skills are trumped by the fact that Teyla has traded with "HUNDREDS" of planets (as she stated in S1) and so must have some language ability if we go with the idea that these people have different languages.

I think Teyla actually said, (from the Rising transcript) "TEYLA: We have visited many, many worlds. I know of none untouched by the Wraith. The last great holocaust was five generations ago. But still, they return, in smaller numbers, to remind us of their power."

There really isn't any competition between Weir and Teyla as to who is "best" or has the most to offer. The show is designed for everyone to have their own niche. Carter will definitely bring something different to the mix, and it will be interesting to see how she fits, especially since she outranks Sheppard (even at Lt. Col. as she has held the rank longer).

I prefer to see Carter, Weir and Teyla together, and less of the Sheppard and Rodney show. We don't see enough female leaders as it is.

scarimor
April 12th, 2007, 07:25 AM
I got this from Stargate Solutions, the article is talking about the article in the Sci Fi mag:...
Stargate Solutions states things which are unconfirmed. They've done it before and will probably do it again. Sometimes that results in a "scoop" - it's inevitable that if they jump the gun they'll be right sometimes, but that doesn't make them reliable. They stated that Michael Shanks had been approached to do the third SG series, which he then had to go on record to deny.

I think it likely that Sam will be full colonel, but we've had no confirmation.

vaberella
April 12th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Weir is supposed to be a linguist, who knows multiple languages, plus she has spent a considerable amount of time with Daniel Jackson so I'm sure she honed up on her Ancient translations before she left on the expedition.
I never denied the idea of her being a linguist. You can say she honed up on her Ancient, but in most of the episodes when Ancient is used or she hears it, she is clearly doubtful and needs other texts to be sure on what she's reading. She's not fluent by any stretch of the imagination. We see this in Epiphany, we see this in Hide and Seek and once again we see this in Echoes

I don't know anything about Rodney and Teyla rolling eyes at Weir's stupidity in Epiphany. Weir DID translate the Ancient text on the wall just fine when the others couldn't. I'm not sure what you saw, but I doubt TPTB would have zeroed in on a "rolling of eyes" at another character. That would have been a rather mean thing for them to have done.
You said it, not me. Check out the episode, if they didn't roll their eyes, they came close to it based on the look they shared in the episode. :D I guess it was mean, but TPTB did do that. And she didn't translate anything the team didn't figure out or assume on their own. As I said, she states the obvious a lot of the time.

I think Teyla actually said, (from the Rising transcript) "TEYLA: We have visited many, many worlds. I know of none untouched by the Wraith. The last great holocaust was five generations ago. But still, they return, in smaller numbers, to remind us of their power."
What's your point in this quote? I'm totally lost since it has nothing to do with my post. And I was mainly referring to the Brotherhood episode I believe where she's mentioned she's traded with hundreds{maybe it wasn't "hundreds" it was many planets---which I equated to hundreds since there are numerous planets in the pg and she knew many of planets in the star system when shown a map}....well it's one of the eps of S1, but I never said it was Rising.

There really isn't any competition between Weir and Teyla as to who is "best" or has the most to offer. The show is designed for everyone to have their own niche. Carter will definitely bring something different to the mix, and it will be interesting to see how she fits, especially since she outranks Sheppard (even at Lt. Col. as she has held the rank longer).

I prefer to see Carter, Weir and Teyla together, and less of the Sheppard and Rodney show. We don't see enough female leaders as it is.
Really?<----about competition. My point, if you read the quote and the response, I was commenting on Weir's replaceability. And how there is really nothing about her that makes her "special". Sure Teyla has negotiating skills, lives in the pg, and knows several "dozen" (:D) planets of people and what not---but she also has the wraith gene. Sheppard, for all his military skill has his "extra strength" ATA gene. Rodney has and is known for his big brain. Ronon, he has his gun! All in all these four members have something unique about them that makes them indispensible to the team. Now their bringing Carter who relates to all of them on various levels.

Weir unfortunately has been short-ended in the long run based on these small factors. Maybe you can say not being "special" is her "special" ability---maybe but that would make for a boring show and one would have to ask...."What's her purpose?!"

I love women and hoped that we would see more of them or all three of them together. But unfortunately that won't be the case, so I won't be pushing that and spouting it from the rooftops that we're being denied. At least we still get 2 out of 3 and these two are displayed as extremely strong and independent women. That being the case, I'm not too disgruntled by Weir leaving.

So could Carter replace Weir? Based on what I've said in this thread and the past and the reasons I find Weir trumped by many not only Teyla in character ability---sure thing Carter could replace Weir. Would Carter be a better leader? That just remains to be seen....but at this point, I'm willing to give Carter the benefit of the doubt and see successful change.

Mitchell82
April 12th, 2007, 09:02 AM
When Mitchell mentioned the IOA replacing Weir after the events of First Strike, I don't think she meant on any decisions Weir made or did not make. I think she was referring to the fact the IOA allowed the military to concieve a plan, put it in effect WITHOUT informing Weir of the events as they progressed; until the last minute.

Thus, making Weir's input unnecessary. She then now becomes a puppet leader and not one with any clout. This status is then the reason why the IOA would replace her; she's unimportant to the Earth/PG decision-making process. I still stand by, that after S2 she has plenty to answer for exclduing FS. I'll never understand Woolsey. :(

That's pretty much what I meant, simply b/c the military has the habbit of shooting first and asking questions later. As an officer in the Air force myself I can see their reasoning, but ultimatly disagree on not alowing Weir to be in the loop. Though I disagree on one thing, I'm a he, not a she.;)

vaberella
April 12th, 2007, 09:14 AM
That's pretty much what I meant, simply b/c the military has the habbit of shooting first and asking questions later. As an officer in the Air force myself I can see their reasoning, but ultimatly disagree on not alowing Weir to be in the loop. Though I disagree on one thing, I'm a he, not a she.;)

I knew it...I knew it...I knew it!! Darn, I should have went with my gut. I asked my sister about that. I was like there's a guy name Mitchell82--and I told her that could be your first name and the year of birth. Then she's like she's a shipper and that could be a last name and year of birth. And I'm like there are guy shippers, but most of the time these boards seem dominated by women----ugh! Anyway thanks for that Mitchell...sorry about the gender switching!!! :D Won't happen again....if I don't know, I'll stick to s/he. :D

As for the military, I'm in the public policy realm so I do know what you mean. Just the government in general has that kind of mentality, though.

Mitchell82
April 12th, 2007, 10:24 AM
I knew it...I knew it...I knew it!! Darn, I should have went with my gut. I asked my sister about that. I was like there's a guy name Mitchell82--and I told her that could be your first name and the year of birth. Then she's like she's a shipper and that could be a last name and year of birth. And I'm like there are guy shippers, but most of the time these boards seem dominated by women----ugh! Anyway thanks for that Mitchell...sorry about the gender switching!!! :D Won't happen again....if I don't know, I'll stick to s/he. :D

As for the military, I'm in the public policy realm so I do know what you mean. Just the government in general has that kind of mentality, though.
Actually it's my brothers date of birth. He died in Iraq last year. It's ok about the gender switching, happens all the time, and the government does do things rashly don't we.

the dancer of spaz
April 12th, 2007, 10:41 AM
It really isn't a competition between Liz and Teyla, considering - as far as I (and canon) am concerned - they're not really a threat to each other. :p And, having watched 100% of the episodes once and about 75% of the episodes twice, I don't think I remember Teyla or Ronon or anyone else rolling their eyes at Liz, of all people. Beyond the OTT-heroic moments with Sheppard and the OTT-snarky moments with McKay (and of course that idiot Cavanaugh), I haven't really seen any of the main characters show Liz disrespect. Just wanted to throw that out there. :) It's possible I missed something.

However, while I'm sure Liz brushed up on her Ancient before she went to the Pegasus Galaxy, a few months of crash course studying wouldn't have made her an expert per se. I think it's possible that she continued to study the language intensively over the course of the past three years because she's passionate about it. But they only showed or mentioned that skill a couple of times. If viewers hadn't seen her with Daniel in "New Order," I think it's entirely possible that they wouldn't know that she has that ability.

I'm with GateLadyM - it would've been way cool to see Liz, Teyla and Sam interact next season. And maybe we'll still be given that opportunity. On SG-1, Sam and Vala stuff was written in quite a bit throughout the latter half of Season Ten, after the fans and the actors expressed a desire to pursue that dynamic a bit more. They're not entirely done writing the eps for next season, so anything's possible at this point.

FoolishPleasure
April 12th, 2007, 11:49 AM
I'm with GateLadyM - it would've been way cool to see Liz, Teyla and Sam interact next season. And maybe we'll still be given that opportunity. On SG-1, Sam and Vala stuff was written in quite a bit throughout the latter half of Season Ten, after the fans and the actors expressed a desire to pursue that dynamic a bit more. They're not entirely done writing the eps for next season, so anything's possible at this point.
I'm still waiting for the GALS to save the universe in an episode, whether that is Carter/Teyla, Weir/Teyla, Carter/Weir/Teyla/Keller. Frankly, I'm sick of McShep getting all the glory week after week. ;)

sanssong
April 12th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Personally I think the IOA's and Jack's decision not to include Weir in the decision to attack the Asurans was their way of telling her that she's on her way out. Weir knew that too, if her response in First Strike was any indicator. She's been around the political scene long enough to recognize that she's being shut out. If you want my personal opinion, Sheppard saw it too and pretty much chose his side when he volunteered to do recon for the bombing. He threw her under the bus.

And to me, regarldess of the many abilities and credentials that Weir has, Carter STILL has her trumped. Atlantis is a strange amalgum of the scientific and the military. So is Sam. This assignment was tailor made for her if you ask me. Sam will be able to help and lead in ways that Weir just isn't equipped to.

There were so many times over the last three years where Weir just couldn't be of any help to anyone because she isn't a scientist and she doesn't have military experience. She stood around and looked concerned, that was about it. In fact it came home to me just today as I was watching Common Ground in the marathon, how little she really does. This episode was the perfect opportunity for us (the audience) to see what an excellent negoiator she is, for us to see her in action as she tried to leverage or even out-fox Koyla. She fell very flat. Had it not been for the intervention of Ladon, Sheppard would be dead. Now, you can say that Ladon being Atlantis' ally is her doing, but it would be a stretch. In reality it was some fast talking by Sheppard and the miracle skills of Carson Beckett who cured his sister.

Would it be great to see Weir, Sam and Teyla together in S4? Well, for me, only if it moves the story forward. I'm not into any more "we're suddenly friends" scenes that are stilted and akward just to promote the idea that these women are best friends.

My hope is that Sam and Teyla will be friends in a true sense, but I hope TPTB do a better job of making it look natural.

vaberella
April 12th, 2007, 11:58 AM
It really isn't a competition between Liz and Teyla, considering - as far as I (and canon) am concerned - they're not really a threat to each other. :p And, having watched 100% of the episodes once and about 75% of the episodes twice, I don't think I remember Teyla or Ronon or anyone else rolling their eyes at Liz, of all people. Beyond the OTT-heroic moments with Sheppard and the OTT-snarky moments with McKay (and of course that idiot Cavanaugh), I haven't really seen any of the main characters show Liz disrespect. Just wanted to throw that out there. :) It's possible I missed something.

It was Rodney and Teyla...it was quite entertaining to watch, check out Epiphany again. I exagerate with the "eye-roll" it was more of "now tell us something we don't know" look<---my version of that look is an "eye-roll". :D As for Cav, she disrespected him first (for no bloody reason :(), so---I was like whatever. As for competition...my statement wasn't to relay any form of competition. It was mainly to show the interchangeability...which really can be stated for any and all the characters---Lorne to John, Zelenka to Rodney and so on and so forth. There was no competing to be taken in my statement---albeit I guess trump brings to mind a competition. The main thing was the "TEAM" is only interchangeable by another like them or just taking them out of the mix completely. I found Ford to be just a younger version if not more military, John. Ronon was a good addition to taht so each of these people bring something essentially to the team. Everyone else is really a "red shirt" <----not to be taken as killing but just changeable and without that much importance besides (being coldhearted here) likable idiosnycracies.

Skydiver
April 12th, 2007, 12:59 PM
I'm still waiting for the GALS to save the universe in an episode, whether that is Carter/Teyla, Weir/Teyla, Carter/Weir/Teyla/Keller. Frankly, I'm sick of McShep getting all the glory week after week. ;)
here here. let McSHep take a break for 20 eps or so and let the others have some time in the sun please

the dancer of spaz
April 12th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Would it be great to see Weir, Sam and Teyla together in S4? Well, for me, only if it moves the story forward. I'm not into any more "we're suddenly friends" scenes that are stilted and akward just to promote the idea that these women are best friends.

My hope is that Sam and Teyla will be friends in a true sense, but I hope TPTB do a better job of making it look natural.

I don't know if you're referring to the Sam/Vala stuff, but I personally found it to be a somewhat natural progression, only because there were so many episodes where we saw them address each other briefly, and then there would be others where they'd not say a word to each other. And then, slowly, we saw a bit more here and there. It was mostly physical contact between the characters, which suggests that it was the actors who played it up. But it was still there.

Considering TPTB have had to trim a lot of those teamy scenes that don't necessarily move the story forward, but that would've played a huge part in showing us how the team gets along, I'm glad they went that route. It wasn't the best way to handle it by any means, but I think it was an honorable effort to show that Sam and Vala weren't enemies, no matter how different they are. That would've been lame otherwise, not only because female/female enemies is overdone and is typically done to be sort of catty, b*tchfight in the making, but also because it would've exemplified TPTB's infatuation with buddy-buddy relationships.

Bringing it back to Atlantis, they seemed to take those same baby steps with Liz and Teyla. For the longest time, it appeared as if only the actors, directors and editors were working in concert to inject the few glances and the nods that we saw between Liz and Teyla. And then, slowly but surely, we had actual lines written between the characters. For heaven's sake, they actually spoke to each other! Not at each other or through other characters. That was a huge milestone in my opinion, if only because it proved that the writers were willing to try.

I wouldn't like it if Sam and Teyla become instant friends, simply because Amanda and Rachel get along in real life. And Sam and Teyla will never be foils. But I hope that there are small steps that work towards a mutual and genuine respect for each other that maybe offers an opportunity for them to do something significant without Sheppard and McKay. :) If only for a little while.

It was Rodney and Teyla...it was quite entertaining to watch, check out Epiphany again. I exagerate with the "eye-roll" it was more of "now tell us something we don't know" look<---my version of that look is an "eye-roll". :D As for Cav, she disrespected him first (for no bloody reason :(), so---I was like whatever. As for competition...my statement wasn't to relay any form of competition. It was mainly to show the interchangeability...which really can be stated for any and all the characters---Lorne to John, Zelenka to Rodney and so on and so forth. There was no competing to be taken in my statement---albeit I guess trump brings to mind a competition. The main thing was the "TEAM" is only interchangeable by another like them or just taking them out of the mix completely. I found Ford to be just a younger version if not more military, John. Ronon was a good addition to taht so each of these people bring something essentially to the team. Everyone else is really a "red shirt" <----not to be taken as killing but just changeable and without that much importance besides (being coldhearted here) likable idiosnycracies.

I see what you mean. :) And while I disagree with you on a couple of parts, like Cavanaugh, I agree that the team is built of a core group of skillsets and abilities, and that the rest are meant to be almost needless red shirts.

At the same time, the position as base commander isn't one that's wholly interchangeable. And they did a great job of showing Liz's friendship with Sheppard's team, which cemented her place in the ensemble. I think they might have bitten off more than they could chew with Weir, as others have said, by giving her a Hammond-esque role and then trying to utilize her like another member of the team. Logic rejects that possibility, and it's been difficult to accept her being out in the field as much as they've tried to have her out there.

So we have this hodge-podge sort of value for Weir, where we want to see her in the action, but we really shouldn't be seeing her in the action because of her role. We're told she's a main character, but we don't see her doing nearly as much as the others. We're told she has authority, but she's rarely given the opportunity to exercise it. It's a bit of a mess, and it's more than a little contradictory.

No matter who is given that position - even if it's Sam - they will need to remain a supporting character for the four main characters, both from a real life and a fictional perspective. It looks like they're willing to dial down that role so as to focus on the team more a la SG-1. I think it's possible that they'll be able to pull it off.

sanssong
April 12th, 2007, 02:10 PM
I don't know if you're referring to the Sam/Vala stuff...

Nope, I wasn't. I lost interest in SG1 after the Ori came on the scene.

Bringing it back to Atlantis, they seemed to take those same baby steps with Liz and Teyla. For the longest time, it appeared as if only the actors, directors and editors were working in concert to inject the few glances and the nods that we saw between Liz and Teyla. And then, slowly but surely, we had actual lines written between the characters. For heaven's sake, they actually spoke to each other! Not at each other or through other characters. That was a huge milestone in my opinion, if only because it proved that the writers were willing to try.

It's the Teyla/Weir friendship I was referring to. For almost two whole seasons we saw NO scenes indicating their frienship, they hardly spoke to each other in fact. Then all the sudden - in season 3- it was like the writers woke up one day and said- "you know these two should be good friends." I may have missed it, but I didn't see any natural build with them at all and had a hard time accepting the fact that they'd been hanging out all this time.

I wouldn't like it if Sam and Teyla become instant friends, simply because Amanda and Rachel get along in real life. And Sam and Teyla will never be foils. But I hope that there are small steps that work towards a mutual and genuine respect for each other that maybe offers an opportunity for them to do something significant without Sheppard and McKay. :) If only for a little while.

I too am in the camp that would like to see Teyla and Sam begin a real friendship right from the very beginning. I'd like to see for once a leader that values Teyla's wisdom and insight and one that, like John, understands that she is a gem of a friend to have by your side. :teyla:

Mimzy
April 12th, 2007, 05:50 PM
I see Teyla and Sam emerging into a friendship more gradually too...it just doesn't seem to me that the characters would instantly form some sort of sisterly bond or anything like that. From what I see, it would take more time, but ultimately, they would still get along from the start...they just wouldn't be as close friends until later.

Mitchell82
April 12th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I see Teyla and Sam emerging into a friendship more gradually too...it just doesn't seem to me that the characters would instantly form some sort of sisterly bond or anything like that. From what I see, it would take more time, but ultimately, they would still get along from the start...they just wouldn't be as close friends until later.

Agreed. I see her fitting in gradually with the Atlantis expedition. She would be considered an "outsider" by many among the fact that Sam herself would likely not glady accept this position.

Skydiver
April 12th, 2007, 06:18 PM
yep, especialy if the spoiler is right that she's kinda thrown into the job. IE she didn't seek it out or ask for it but is put into it and ordered to go - or that's what i'm inferring.

the atlantis folks don't want her there necessarily...and she really doesn't want to be there

Mitchell82
April 12th, 2007, 06:22 PM
yep, especialy if the spoiler is right that she's kinda thrown into the job. IE she didn't seek it out or ask for it but is put into it and ordered to go - or that's what i'm inferring.

the atlantis folks don't want her there necessarily...and she really doesn't want to be there

And I can see the IOA doing exactly that especially in what I'm sure will be considered a grave failure by Dr. Weir for the events in First Strike.

Ripple in Space
April 12th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Stargate Solutions states things which are unconfirmed. They've done it before and will probably do it again. Sometimes that results in a "scoop" - it's inevitable that if they jump the gun they'll be right sometimes, but that doesn't make them reliable. They stated that Michael Shanks had been approached to do the third SG series, which he then had to go on record to deny.

I think it likely that Sam will be full colonel, but we've had no confirmation.

jenks just likes to spread around rumors, lol.

Platschu
April 12th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Weir will be in more episodes than we thought! :D 8-10 episode? :)

Anonymous #1 writes: “For the rest of us, can you tell us if the four episodes Torri will be in are all in the first half of season four? Is there a chance Torri could appear in more episodes in the back of the season (hopefully a lot more)?”

Answer: Yes and yes.
http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2007/04/april-12-2007.html

sanssong
April 12th, 2007, 10:03 PM

Anonymous #1 writes: “For the rest of us, can you tell us if the four episodes Torri will be in are all in the first half of season four? Is there a chance Torri could appear in more episodes in the back of the season (hopefully a lot more)?”

Well, I'm glad you're happy about that, I for one don't want to see her in that many. They need to make this transition and stick to it.

Uber
April 12th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Well, I'm glad you're happy about that, I for one don't want to see her in that many. They need to make this transition and stick to it.Well see I don't agree with Platschu's interpretation of Joe's answer.

Joe has said before that he will answer most if not all "is there a chance" questions with a positive response because almost anything is possible...even if not necessarily probable.

It is entirely possible that, should they come up with an idea where her character could fit in in the last half of the season, they might pitch the idea to her and if she's available and interested, she might say "yes." But that does not mean that Weir will be coming back to Atlantis full time or will have a more substantial role.

bluealien
April 13th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Well see I don't agree with Platschu's interpretation of Joe's answer.

Joe has said before that he will answer most if not all "is there a chance" questions with a positive response because almost anything is possible...even if not necessarily probable.
It is entirely possible that, should they come up with an idea where her character could fit in in the last half of the season, they might pitch the idea to her and if she's available and interested, she might say "yes." But that does not mean that Weir will be coming back to Atlantis full time or will have a more substantial role.

I agree - He answered yes there is a chance - that doesn't mean that it will happen - its a possibility - thats all - but then we knew that already.

Easter Lily
April 13th, 2007, 02:50 AM

I wonder if he's going to make the Save the Weir campaigners work for it as well... :P

SGFerrit
April 13th, 2007, 03:51 AM
I'm hoping for the 4 episodes in the first half, an episode in the early second half, and some episodes at the back end of the second half too.

Skydiver
April 13th, 2007, 04:45 AM
#1 writes: “For the rest of us, can you tell us if the four episodes Torri will be in are all in the first half of season four? Is there a chance Torri could appear in more episodes in the back of the season (hopefully a lot more)?”

My interpretation of this is Yes the 4 eps are in the first part of the season and yes there is a chance she can be in teh second half....there will always be a chance until the last episode is written, contracted and cast.

Whether or not her being in the second half is probable, it is always possible. Heck, it's POSSIBLE that rick will join teh cast for a 3 episode arc...just not bloody likely

Yes,

Suzotchka
April 13th, 2007, 05:32 AM

I hope so! It would be nice if she were in more than 4 episodes. While some people may be happy with her in less episodes, I wouldn't be. I think there are other characters on the show who should 'go' first.

But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Suzotchka
April 13th, 2007, 05:39 AM

I have to respectfully disagree with you. I think there is a good chance Weir will return.

Platschu
April 13th, 2007, 05:40 AM
I have a similar opinion as Skydriver. She will get at least 4 episode in the first half, so maybe she will be in the second half too. I wanted to reassure the Weir fans. ;)

ACharmedAsgard
April 13th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Ahhhh so Weir will still appear in season 4?

Ripple in Space
April 13th, 2007, 08:10 AM

That much has been confirmed. But w/ TPTB it could just mean that her funeral has an open casket.

prion
April 13th, 2007, 08:45 AM
That much has been confirmed. But w/ TPTB it could just mean that her funeral has an open casket.

well, let's hope it doesn't come to THAT.

scifithinker
April 13th, 2007, 10:04 AM
The Sci Fi mag article doesn't mention any actual promotion.
It does refer to the character once in the introduction as Col. Samantha Carter, but that could be just a mistake since I've seen magazine interviews from season 9 where the character was referred to as Major Carter.

A Lieutentant Colonel can be properly referred to as Colonel without the Lieutenant attached. In the season nine episode Pierre Bernard (the guy from Conan O'Brien's show) is in, he calls her "Colonel Carter." Think of O'Neill and Hammond. They both get called "General" even though they have different ranks (Brigadier General and Major General). I believe that only a four star general has the rank of "General."

While I would guess that Carter will be promoted for season four, I've not seen references of anything from TPTB that would confirm it.

the dancer of spaz
April 13th, 2007, 11:44 AM

I personally think that this suggests there will be more than 4 eps in the future for Torri. He was rather pissy the other day when he answered the other questions, and he did say that he would've answered the question earlier on had the person not been "presumptuous." I think he was going to reveal this detail on his own.

Ripple in Space
April 13th, 2007, 11:49 AM
A Lieutentant Colonel can be properly referred to as Colonel without the Lieutenant attached. In the season nine episode Pierre Bernard (the guy from Conan O'Brien's show) is in, he calls her "Colonel Carter." Think of O'Neill and Hammond. They both get called "General" even though they have different ranks (Brigadier General and Major General). I believe that only a four star general has the rank of "General."

While I would guess that Carter will be promoted for season four, I've not seen references of anything from TPTB that would confirm it.

As of most recently O'Neill is a Major General** and Hammond is a retired Lieutenant General***.

Falcon Horus
April 13th, 2007, 12:15 PM

Would that be a problem?
(I read it like it is, it sounds to me like it is, just verifying it isn't)

ACharmedAsgard
April 13th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Would that be a problem?
(I read it like it is, it sounds to me like it is, just verifying it isn't)
That would be far from a problem :D, I wanted both Weir and Carter on the show :)

Falcon Horus
April 13th, 2007, 02:13 PM
That would be far from a problem :D, I wanted both Weir and Carter on the show :)

Oh good... then I was just seeing things. :p

ACharmedAsgard
April 13th, 2007, 02:56 PM
I'll try to be less vague next time :) :P

Mitchell82
April 13th, 2007, 05:01 PM
I personally think that this suggests there will be more than 4 eps in the future for Torri. He was rather pissy the other day when he answered the other questions, and he did say that he would've answered the question earlier on had the person not been "presumptuous." I think he was going to reveal this detail on his own.

I sure hope so. I want both Carter and Wier on the show.

ACharmedAsgard
April 14th, 2007, 10:22 AM
I'm sure hope so. I want both Carter and Wier on the show.
I second that action! 800%

SG1Guy
April 14th, 2007, 03:04 PM

They don't tell us the circumstances though. for all we know Weir might be seen sparingly in a hospital bed from time to time in the first 4 episodes and then we could see her finally die of her injuries in the back half.

Or not, maybe she's fully recovered and plays a dynamic role interacting with Carter in the new set up but finally gets promoted into oblivion like RDA was when he wanted out of the series.

sanssong
April 14th, 2007, 04:00 PM
I sure hope so. I want both Carter and Wier on the show.

There isn't really any need for both of them. I see Weir as some kind of Civilian liaison between Atlantis Command and the IOA now that she's not going to be in command. That will put them together sometimes, but for me the less Weir is around and has to be included in S4's eps, the better.

prion
April 14th, 2007, 06:10 PM

He's been asked, politely, about the Weir episode situation for a long time. Yes, I can see he was being snotty in answering that question. "I deleted my response." Yeah, too bad Joe, fans copy this stuff and keep it ;) He actually replied that Torri was in four of the first ten episodes with the Possiblity of mroe in the back 10, but only the possiblity.

UberGater
April 14th, 2007, 07:07 PM
My two cents... I don't want to see two main female leads trying to run Atlantis. Look.. Weir is to Atlantis, what Daniel was to SG-1.. She is the civilian voice of "reason".. However, you're going to have to either have tension between the two characters, or they are going to have to be buddies... Weir is OK.. but Carter is more diverse and infinately more interesting. Weir reminds me of Janeway on ST Voyager.. a "OK.. go ahead.." gal, rather than someone who puts some bite into the workings of the show.

Torrie is an excellent actress, but you need someone who has some breadth to run Atlantis.. Someone you WANT to be running Atlantis has some grit.. Weir is too..hmmm.. soft...and lacks charisma.. Carter will be a good segue.. She control the situation and iengenders respect due to her longevity.. I want to see Mitrch Pileggi back.. He was great...Maybe he'll be head of the unit in S5.. hee hee :comeon: (You may fire when ready.. :)

vaberella
April 14th, 2007, 07:13 PM
He's been asked, politely, about the Weir episode situation for a long time. Yes, I can see he was being snotty in answering that question. "I deleted my response." Yeah, too bad Joe, fans copy this stuff and keep it ;) He actually replied that Torri was in four of the first ten episodes with the Possiblity of mroe in the back 10, but only the possiblity.
That's a strange way of describing it. He's been yelled at, harassed, threatened, warned and the like. Polite is not really amongst them. And he had clearly stated early on that he wasn't sure.

For instance, Linzi and several other people have asked politely about Shep's story for S4 once a month. And politely he responds to them either yes or no, but they're working on it. When it comes to Weir, he didn't get polite---on top of the above he got pleading when he also said he wasn't sure yet since they were working on it.

You even claim in another thread you're not sure that S4 is gonna be good because it hasn't been written. How do you expect then for him to know who's in what and how many eps? If the stories aren't complete. They weren't finished with the first half for him to comment on Weir in February when the harassment began. Although he had already said and we knew she was recurring. People seem to think he has to sit there and answer the same questions a dozen times. Then the second half not finished yet, people are asking already. He may have an idea but he may want to be certain so he wont' be accused of being a bloody liar by people.

KindlyKeller
April 14th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Have to agree with you there, vabrella. I get kind of embarrassed just reading the semi-desperate/impolite way some of the questions to him are worded.

Mitchell82
April 14th, 2007, 08:15 PM
There isn't really any need for both of them. I see Weir as some kind of Civilian liaison between Atlantis Command and the IOA now that she's not going to be in command. That will put them together sometimes, but for me the less Weir is around and has to be included in S4's eps, the better.

Sorry must disagree on that. I think they can both fit in quite well, and if I had my way I'd have them both on the show but I'll take what I can get. Hopefully Weir will return full time in season 5. But I do feel Carter can lead the Atlantis expedition very well.

prion
April 15th, 2007, 01:39 PM
That's a strange way of describing it. He's been yelled at, harassed, threatened, warned and the like. Polite is not really amongst them. And he had clearly stated early on that he wasn't sure.

For instance, Linzi and several other people have asked politely about Shep's story for S4 once a month. And politely he responds to them either yes or no, but they're working on it. When it comes to Weir, he didn't get polite---on top of the above he got pleading when he also said he wasn't sure yet since they were working on it.

You even claim in another thread you're not sure that S4 is gonna be good because it hasn't been written. How do you expect then for him to know who's in what and how many eps? If the stories aren't complete. They weren't finished with the first half for him to comment on Weir in February when the harassment began. Although he had already said and we knew she was recurring. People seem to think he has to sit there and answer the same questions a dozen times. Then the second half not finished yet, people are asking already. He may have an idea but he may want to be certain so he wont' be accused of being a bloody liar by people.

Yes, politely, unless you can find the hidden maliciousness in a question such as "Can you tell us how many episodes Elizabeth will be in?" or "Now that Paul has been contracted for two episodes in the back half of season 4 is there any chance to have a count on how many episodes Torri has been contracted for?” or "“Is there any truth to the latest talk that Torri will be in only four episodes of season four?” The ugliest question I could flind was "Anonymous #1 writes: “ Gee. I remember a bunch of people telling you they'd heard Torri was going to be in four episodes, and you ridiculed them. Looks like they were right all along. Their sources must be good.”" You make JM's comment section out to be the ugliest place on the net (believe me, it's not).

A lot of fans do ask the same question - either they missed it in the previous dozens of posts, or really want the question answered. Unless you keep one document with every question in it, and unless you have all day to dally on the PC, it's hard to remember what has been asked or answered. (Yes, I have a document of all the comments answered - makes it easy to find quotes).

Yes, I've said that I don't *think* (as in my opinion) that season 4 will be that good, judging from JM's past writing examples. Sorry, watch "Irresponsible" to see how JM copies his own SG1 script into something that should have not been done. ;)