X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mar9645 View Post
    1. Other than Worf, name the others.

2. That's your opinion. And I have mine.

3. Killing Beckett was a decision made by TPTB, not Sci Fi.

4. So far, the cast changes, Beckett's death and Weir being reduced to recurring, Carter invading the Pegasus Galaxy and the cutsey little blond Dr. Keller's sudden appearance, have created a great deal of controversy. When the full reality of all these changes comes out in Season 4, along with the bad writing and storytelling, everyone responsible for all these great ideas will wish they had a time machine to go back to last year.

Back on topic - Carter couldn't replace Weir in a trillion light years!
    To what post was this responding to (hint the comment about TPTB killing off Beckett, not SciFi)?

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

Carter replacing Weir? oh god i hope not, the only thing i dislike about season 4 of atlantis is carter coming over, her on a ship i could just about handle but if shes put in charge i will scream!
      Im sorry but IMO carter has never been able to command her own team (oh wait no Cam was put in charge in the end wasnt he) let alone the atlantis expedition. weir as recurring id rather they just have her in more of a hammond-esque role rather than replace her with sam....anyway that would just confirm to us fans that they demoted weir just so they could bring their precious sammy over (nice way to treat their atlantis crew huh). then again we have the military covered and the scientist stuff covered so im still not exactly sure what sam's purpose in atlantis could be unless this is it, to put her in charge. Please NO!

Im really looking forward to season 4.....the only thing im not looking forward to is sam...ive never liked her, never will...thats my opinion of course.

SIG BY MY SISTER OBSESSED1! WHEN SHEP GOES WHUMP I GO THUNK! My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Rootortoise View Post
        Carter replacing Weir? oh god i hope not, the only thing i dislike about season 4 of atlantis is carter coming over, her on a ship i could just about handle but if shes put in charge i will scream!
        Im sorry but IMO carter has never been able to command her own team (oh wait no Cam was put in charge in the end wasnt he) let alone the atlantis expedition. weir as recurring id rather they just have her in more of a hammond-esque role rather than replace her with sam....anyway that would just confirm to us fans that they demoted weir just so they could bring their precious sammy over (nice way to treat their atlantis crew huh). then again we have the military covered and the scientist stuff covered so im still not exactly sure what sam's purpose in atlantis could be unless this is it, to put her in charge. Please NO!

Im really looking forward to season 4.....the only thing im not looking forward to is sam...ive never liked her, never will...thats my opinion of course.
        Same here, except the part about not liking Sam. She's a good character. Just not fit to lead.

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

all i can say it SAY NO TO CROSSOVERS!!!

Carter shouldn't replace Weir.. even thought shes like comatised or something, but she aint well... Sheppy should be leading right about now.. they kinda got themselves into a bit a trouble there and its kinda a Military situation.. floating in the middle of knowhere but meh John should be and no crossovers!!!
          Thanks to Nad for my awesome sig!
          Proud member of the SSHSOP, S.H.I.P and MOP!

Comment

Originally posted by atlantis_babe34 View Post
            all i can say it SAY NO TO CROSSOVERS!!!

Carter shouldn't replace Weir.. even thought shes like comatised or something, but she aint well... Sheppy should be leading right about now.. they kinda got themselves into a bit a trouble there and its kinda a Military situation.. floating in the middle of knowhere but meh John should be and no crossovers!!!
            Well I don't think Carter will be replacing Weir and have no problem with Carter coming on Atlantis. I truly believe that if Carter comands anything it'd be a ship or the militery regiment, with Weir still at the helm of Atlantis.
            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
              But Carter as leader? No, don't see her as having the ability. She's a scientist, a soldier, but not a leader.
              Far be it from me to defend Carter. But she is more leader then Weir will ever be and has the experience to handle many different situations (I would rather she continued to do that only on SG-1) but to say she is not a leader or does not have the potential to become one is missing the main element of leadership, adaptability to ones situation, Weir lacks the necessary experience in military engagement as shown plainly in the season ender, also to me Weir is more a figurehead then a leader.

(SGA) Weir is almost always deferring to Sheppard on military matters which is fine if *if* you think Sheppard is capable of handling that kind of thing but I don't. With Carter you would have a better rounded person leading Atlantis imo. SG-1 Weir was a diplomat, when Jessica played her I felt she was strong but I have never felt that from Torri's performance, I feel SGA Weir is there because tptb wanted to have a female and she was better then none. She may have even been an after-thought for inclusion on SGA given the hassles Jessica went through with tptb before they dumped her (how's that for irony ) for Torri.

Would it be easy to have Carter as Leader? No. Would most SGA fans like to see it happen? No. But something is going to happen and if it came down to Weir or Carter I would choose Carter in a heartbeat.

Of course I would say this as I am not a fan of Weir or her leadership or rather lack there of; so please just ignore me.
              Last edited by Willow'sCat; 10 February 2007, 05:22 PM. Reason: Spelling...and stuff. *grumbles*

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                Far be it from me to defend Carter. But she is more leader then Weir will ever be and has the experience to handle many different situations (I would rather she continued to do that only on SG-1) but to say she is not a leader or does not have the potential to become one is missing the main element of leadership, adaptability to ones situation, Weir lacks the necessary experience in military engagement as shown plainly in the season ender, also to me Weir is more a figurehead then a leader.

(SGA) Weir is almost always deferring to Sheppard on military matters which is fine if *if* you think Sheppard is capable of handling that kind of thing but I don't. With Carter you would have a better rounded person leading Atlantis imo. SG-1 Weir was a diplomat, when Jessica played her I felt she was strong but I have never felt that form Torri's performance, I feel SGA Weir is there because tptb wanted to have a female and she was better then none. She may have even been an after-thought for inclusion on SGA given the hassles Jessica went through with tptb before they dumped her (how's that for irony ) for Torri.

Would it be easy to have Carter as Leader? No. Would most SGA fans like to see it happen? No. But something is going to happen and if it came down to Weir or Carter I would choose Carter in a heartbeat.

Of course I would say this as I am not a fan of Weir or her leadership or rather lack there of; so please just ignore me.
                You make good points and while I'd rather see Carter as just military command or comand of her own ship, if she did replace Weir it wouldnt bother me though either.

Comment

Do I think Carter can replace Weir. Yes. Do I think Carter can do the same job as Weir. No.

TPTB have been alluding to a power struggle since season 2 between the military and civilian based running of Atlantis. Carter respresents both fractions which makes her a good character to put into Atlantis at this time since fans can relate to her and her background. However Carter is not a diplomat which is the special skills that Weir has and the skills that are needed to handle an International scientific community. There is no one in the current SGA world that can do what Weir does, effectively. To me, while Daniel might be able to, he does not want a leadership position. He likes to study archeology, not run a base. Sorry, I know alot would disagree with me on that but that is the way I see it with Daniel.

My guess is that a big part of season 4 is going to be spend in some kind of a power struggle and that Carter will be instrumental in getting Atlantis base back to where ever they want to take it. Working with McKay and I hope Zelenka.

It would be great to see Carter befriending Weir and helping her gain support and confidence in her abilities.

I am hoping that we will see Weir back as a regular in Season 5 with alot more confidence and support.
                  sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
                    Do I think Carter can replace Weir. Yes. Do I think Carter can do the same job as Weir. No.

TPTB have been alluding to a power struggle since season 2 between the military and civilian based running of Atlantis. Carter respresents both fractions which makes her a good character to put into Atlantis at this time since fans can relate to her and her background. However Carter is not a diplomat which is the special skills that Weir has and the skills that are needed to handle an International scientific community. There is no one in the current SGA world that can do what Weir does, effectively. To me, while Daniel might be able to, he does not want a leadership position. He likes to study archeology, not run a base. Sorry, I know alot would disagree with me on that but that is the way I see it with Daniel.

My guess is that a big part of season 4 is going to be spend in some kind of a power struggle and that Carter will be instrumental in getting Atlantis base back to where ever they want to take it. Working with McKay and I hope Zelenka.

It would be great to see Carter befriending Weir and helping her gain support and confidence in her abilities.

I am hoping that we will see Weir back as a regular in Season 5 with alot more confidence and support.
                    I for one wasn't saying Daniel should come and replace Weir. I believe that if anyone should come over, if thats what tptb wanna do, it should be Daniel, as an addition. You already have a "Carter" on SGA: that's Mckay. You already have a ship commander on SGA: that's Ellis, who, IMHO, was the best commander SGA's ever had (Determined and as good a commander as Caldwell, yet understanding and willing to be wrong at times). They don't need Carter on SGA.

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post

Agreed. Weir is feeling underminded and rightfully so as she should have been consulted. I see Carter trying to help smooth things along and get Weir back how she should be. I don't see her (Weir) leaving I see Carter convincing her to stay.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                        Agreed. Weir is feeling underminded and rightfully so as she should have been consulted. I see Carter trying to help smooth things along and get Weir back how she should be. I don't see her (Weir) leaving I see Carter convincing her to stay.
                        I see Teyla doing that,
                        Spoiler:
                        just as she was attempting to do that in First Strike

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

Well I don't see HOW Carter could replace Weir I mean she still has the Ori (movies) to contend with not to mention the fact that she comes in her own ship...but it has been rumoured that she gets promoted to a full colonel- hence why she would out rank Sheppard....but I do see WHY she would. TPTB don't think that Elizabeth is a strong enough character or its a plot device to show how the US military with the IOA approval manages to militarize Atlantis (either way- it's the writers doing).... I think it's a mistake having her in charge of the city when it should be a diplomat....or even a scientist.....I just don't see how the IOA would let her take command....especially after Elis said that
                          Spoiler:
                          Sheppard should be in command
                          but I guess we're going to have to wait to see what happens.....
                          sigpic
                          Being a shipper, is the only way to be.
                          |My Fanfics|My Fanart|My Orig. Stories|

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post

(SGA) Weir is almost always deferring to Sheppard on military matters which is fine if *if* you think Sheppard is capable of handling that kind of thing but I don't. With Carter you would have a better rounded person leading Atlantis imo. SG-1 Weir was a diplomat, when Jessica played her I felt she was strong but I have never felt that from Torri's performance, I feel SGA Weir is there because tptb wanted to have a female and she was better then none. She may have even been an after-thought for inclusion on SGA given the hassles Jessica went through with tptb before they dumped her (how's that for irony ) for Torri.

I agree with most of your points. Weir has never been leadership material IMO and First Strike reconfirmed why I have felt this way about her from the beginning. I'm still a bit skeptical about Carter coming to SGA and I don't like having SG1 characters on SGA, but I see her as a much stronger character than Weir so I am fairly confident that she would do a good job in the leadership role. Weir always came across as just a figurehead with no experience in the role she was given. They are at war and if the tpb want to continue showing us scenarios where Altantis is constantly trying to survive another day, then a civilian leader with no experience in military matters is not the ideal person to be in charge.

I agreed with Ellis that Sheppard should have always been in charge but then this would hinder him going out on missions so thats why they need to have someother military presence on Atlantis, and it looks like Carter will fill this role. I never warmed up to Weir as a leader due to her lack of leadership abilities, and think that Carter will have a much stronger presence than Weir ever had - IMO.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
                              I agree with most of your points. Weir has never been leadership material IMO and First Strike reconfirmed why I have felt this way about her from the beginning. I'm still a bit skeptical about Carter coming to SGA and I don't like having SG1 characters on SGA, but I see her as a much stronger character than Weir so I am fairly confident that she would do a good job in the leadership role. Weir always came across as just a figurehead with no experience in the role she was given. They are at war and if the tpb want to continue showing us scenarios where Altantis is constantly trying to survive another day, then a civilian leader with no experience in military matters is not the ideal person to be in charge.

I agreed with Ellis that Sheppard should have always been in charge but then this would hinder him going out on missions so thats why they need to have someother military presence on Atlantis, and it looks like Carter will fill this role. I never warmed up to Weir as a leader due to her lack of leadership abilities, and think that Carter will have a much stronger presence than Weir ever had - IMO.
                              I think Weir is as much a leader as the writers of the show want her to be...

I think she was a good, strong yet compassionate leader in Season 1, but for the past 2 seasons, the writers have mainly focused on the duo Sheppard/McKay (I love those two characters btw ), and as a result her role hasn't evolved at the same pace as the other two. It has declined and is stagnant in a way. I think they could have spent a little more time developing her role as the civilian leader of this expedition, even if her character would have still remained in the background in most episodes. I don't mean to compare SGA with Battlestar Galactica (BG), they're so different, but if you look at the character of President Laura Roslin in BG, it has evolved over time. She has learnt to deal with the military and has become stronger. I wish we'd seen that happened with Weir.

Now could Carter replace Weir? Well, as a well established character in SG1, the writers might find easier to write for her...

Personally, I like Carter and she would do a good job -- I don't think she would ruin the dynamic of the show, nor ruin the duo Sheppard/McKay.

But I also like Weir and I would prefer she stays on the show as the leader of SGA

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron Mitchel View Post
                                I see Teyla doing that,
                                Spoiler:
                                just as she was attempting to do that in First Strike
                                Hmm yeah I agree.

Comment

Working...
                                X