This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal shields?

This is my first post to the forum, although I've been reading for a while. Anyway, here's one that's been bothering me:

Why doesn't the Atlantis team wear those nifty little personal shields that McKay and Sheppard found in the first(?) episode whenever they are on a mission? Unless I missed it (entirely possible), we have not heard anything about them since McKay's came off. It would seem a good defense against a Wraith attack, or any attack for that matter.

Was there only one device? Did the team not want to devote the time/risk to figure out how to make it work or why it did not remove at will for McKay? Given Sheppard's personality, it seems he would have definitely tried it on himself, since he has "the gene", and could speculate that he might have a better chance at controlling it. Any thoughts?

Of course, I guess with shields of "invincibility" on during the missions, the show would not be as exciting....

It was a one episode plot device, and would make the show boring...

The team couldn't very well make more than they could make more puddlejumpers or stargates. Reverse engineering is incredibly difficult. Reverse engineering something that is litterlly millions of years ahead of you technologically is impossible.

Comment

So, there was only one of those devices found, then? I guess they need that replicator after all...

Comment

Yeah, and we don't know if there are any more of these shields (at least I can' remember).
        sigpic

Well, not anymore... Good bye Atlantis!

Comment

The personal shield was found in a Research Lab. It had to be a prototype.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
            The personal shield was found in a Research Lab. It had to be a prototype.
            No it doesn't. It probably is... but doesn't HAVE to be. Perhaps a scientist had one on and left it there? Perhaps there are crates of them in the military and weapons section of the city? There is porbably an aersonal we haven't found yet.

Comment

it wouldnt even really matter considering almost none of the memebers have the necsisary gene, and that little fake gene that the doc made, might not work on some people there or even last at all.

Comment

Originally posted by KayMan2k
                No it doesn't. It probably is... but doesn't HAVE to be. Perhaps a scientist had one on and left it there? Perhaps there are crates of them in the military and weapons section of the city? There is porbably an aersonal we haven't found yet.
                Agreed. The lab that the shield was found was probably one of many in the city of Atlantis. Its only a few episodes into the first season, and the Atlantis command hasn't even begun searching the city yet. They are only commanding a small portion of the city, so there probably are some more shields or other protective devices. As for creating another shield like the one they found, its a hard task. The Ancients were very advanced, and created technology way beyond any other form. (they were the creaters of the stargates after all.) It would probably take McKay a long time to figure out how it works, much less build one. The ancients were very technologically advanced after all.

Comment

Originally posted by auir999
                  it wouldnt even really matter considering almost none of the memebers have the necsisary gene, and that little fake gene that the doc made, might not work on some people there or even last at all.
                  yes but it worked on Mckay who doesn't have the necessary gene, and Sheppard and Beckett already have the gene. Thats half the party already.

Comment

It would be nice to see them use them in more episodes.

Comment

"Hide & Seek"
                      Spoiler:
                      They only found one shield device and the energy-sucking Shadow drained it of all it's power so it can never be used again.
                      Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by KayMan2k
                        Seeing as how it was accompanied by research notes (The ones that didn't say how to shut it off). It's probably a prototype.
                        sigpic

Comment

I doubt it was a prototype as the gouald have personal shields and it is more than likely they reverse engineered it from an ancient designed personal shield.Maybe an earlier model.

Comment

Originally posted by geb
                            I doubt it was a prototype as the gouald have personal shields and it is more than likely they reverse engineered it from an ancient designed personal shield.Maybe an earlier model.
                            No that cant be right. The goa'uld personal sheild let slow moving things pass through. the ancient sheild let NOTHING through.

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                              Seeing as how it was accompanied by research notes (The ones that didn't say how to shut it off). It's probably a prototype.
                              i dont remember McKay saying there was instructions accompanied with it.
                              It would probably have to be a prototype because the shields imprint on the wearer, and cant be used by everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X