This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGA Exogenesis Novel

Has anyone actually been able to get ahold of this book? I had one on order from Amazon.ca since mid December and now they've cancelled my order because they can't get it from anywhere.

Does anyone know if there is somewhere that it is still available? I really want to read it, it sounds really good! I've looked all over for it to no avail.

Hi,

I got mine from Amazon a month ago and it is an AMAZING book...really emotional... I cried my eyes out in places!

Another place you might want to try is www.stargatenovels.com or if you live near a Waterstones book store, I know they stock SGA books too.

I hope that helps. Good luck!
    Last edited by Ellara; 03 February 2007, 07:14 AM. Reason: punctuation
    sigpic

Comment

THANK-YOU!! .

It's a bit more expensive than ordering from Amazon, but I suppose it's about the only way I'm going to be able to get the book (Indigo Books, Barnes & Noble etc. also don't have it). It's funny, I had visited stargatenovels earlier and couldn't find a link to order the book. Guess I just hadn't looked well enough. I wish Amazon had told me earlier though, I'd probably have it already. *sigh*

Hopefully there won't be any problems and it'll arrive in a couple weeks. *fingers crossed*

Comment

Originally posted by GateByte View Post
        THANK-YOU!! .

It's a bit more expensive than ordering from Amazon, but I suppose it's about the only way I'm going to be able to get the book (Indigo Books, Barnes & Noble etc. also don't have it). It's funny, I had visited stargatenovels earlier and couldn't find a link to order the book. Guess I just hadn't looked well enough. I wish Amazon had told me earlier though, I'd probably have it already. *sigh*

Hopefully there won't be any problems and it'll arrive in a couple weeks. *fingers crossed*
        Hi GateByte

Sorry about the wait. Fandemonium are in the process of upgrading their North American distribution system. Hopefully Barnes and Noble retail outlets will soon have copies and by mid-late 2007 the NA merchandising and shipping system for all novels will be running smoothly. At the moment, I think all Stargate novels are being snapped up about as fast as they can get them out there, which is a good sign, if more than a little frustrating for those of you who can't get hold of a copy. I only recieved my own copies of Exogenesis about a week or so back, so it gives you an idea.

Hey Ellara,

Thanks - glad you enjoyed it despite needing a box of tissues. Since the series continues, everyone knows that at the end the Atlantis world has to be re-set to zero. So we decided to write a character and narrative rollercoaster that would throw readers for a loop.

cheers,
        Sonny
        www.sonnywhitelaw.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sonny1 View Post
          Hey Ellara,

Thanks - glad you enjoyed it despite needing a box of tissues. Since the series continues, everyone knows that at the end the Atlantis world has to be re-set to zero. So we decided to write a character and narrative rollercoaster that would throw readers for a loop.

cheers,
          Hi Sonny,

I just wanted to take the opportunity to say how much i've enjoyed the Atlantis books you've co-written with Elizabeth.

They are full-rounded stories that balances emotional drama with just enough technical and historical data to satisfy the geeks in all of us!

I hope the both of you long continue to write about those Atlantis rascals, because I for one will certainly read them.

Carry on the good work!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ellara View Post
            Hi Sonny,

I just wanted to take the opportunity to say how much i've enjoyed the Atlantis books you've co-written with Elizabeth.

They are full-rounded stories that balances emotional drama with just enough technical and historical data to satisfy the geeks in all of us!

I hope the both of you long continue to write about those Atlantis rascals, because I for one will certainly read them.

Carry on the good work!
            Thanks!

While Jennifer Fallon and I recently collaborated on an SG-1 title, Roswell, (set near the end of Season 10, and due out in May), Beth worked independently on an Atlantis novel, also due out later this year. Beth and I currently are working on a joint Atlantis title (actual title not yet confirmed) that we hope will see the bookshelves late 2007 or early 2008.

Please feel free to use this thread as a discussion venue - spoilers allowed because the thread is about the novel. As writers we rarely get direct feedback from readers other than the odd Amazon review, which doesn't allow us to engage in discussion, and since we've had such a blast writing, it's fun revisiting them through the eyes of others - it's the nature of storytelling . This is especially so when readers pick up nuances that we may not have consciously intended.

cheers
            Sonny
            www.sonnywhitelaw.com

sigpic

Comment

I *finally* got a hold of this book last week! The screening of David Hewlett's 'A Dog's Breakfast' was rather (too ) conveniently only 2 minutes walk from the Forbidden Planet superstore

Still no sign of it in Scottish bookshops, and rather alarmingly, Waterstones didn't have any sign of Exogenesis or Halcyon on their system...despite the fact they had Halcyon on their shelves...
              sigpic
              Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Amazon finally shipped my copy to me last week! I've got about 30 pages left, and I've gotta say, it's definitely my favorite Atlantis novel yet. Great characterization, and I love that all of the characters really share the spotlight on this one. As a Weir fan, I've been finding myself disappointed at the lack of Elizabeth in the novels, but she had a pretty nice, juicy chunk in this one! Thank you!

And I also am loving all the marine biology stuff thrown in there. I'm a long-time marine biology geek, with a career path in the field of marine mammal care, so I loved reading the parts where the underwater world is explored! It makes me miss diving - it's been a few years since I've put on the SCUBA gear, because I'm too much of a wimp for Seattle's cold-water diving. (I did get certified here, though... those checkout dives were a mite chilly ) But now I wanna get myself to a nice, warm climate for some diving!

Thank you so much for a fantastic novel!
                "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
                My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

Exogenesis is my favourite book so far (although I did love Reliquary by Martha Wells).

I love Carson to bits, so it was great to see him having a part in it and Rodney...well, what can I say? I'm a bit of a Rodney fan. I think a lot of us sympathise and empathise with him because he such a self-imposed loner.

He can't allow himself to be loved because of fear of rejection, yet it's what he secretly craves and the fact that you guys wrote that into the story and ran with it, I thought that was brilliant. In fact, the culmination of that arc is what made me cry.

I think its really rare for authors to tune into readers emotions to that extent, so whatever you're doing, please continue. I can't wait for the next one.
                  sigpic

Comment

Hey, Xfkirstin,

Marine mammal, care, huh? What are you planning on doing? Ceteaceans? pinnipeds? Ursus maritimus...seems apt for your neck of the woods? (For the rest of the class, Polar bears are classed as marine mammals). A good friend of mine runs Sea World on the Gold Coast here. (We worked on a world first recue operation of Delphinus delphus together in the face of...um...some shonky political problems.) We're currently looking at (and this is very early stages) books based on some of the rescues they've undertaken, fictionised as a sort of adventure series. Don't hold your breath, though as I got sidetracked writing Stargate .

As to cold water diving - totally understand. I gave up a wetsuit 28 years ago when I moved to Vanuatu. (http://www.divevanuatu.net). Had to put one on last week because we need to wear them in the shark lagoon at Sea World, but honestly, I'm a cold water wimp and won't even go surfing if I have to shoehorn my aging body into a wetsuit.

cheers
                    Sonny
                    www.sonnywhitelaw.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ellara View Post
                      Exogenesis is my favourite book so far (although I did love Reliquary by Martha Wells).

I love Carson to bits, so it was great to see him having a part in it and Rodney...well, what can I say? I'm a bit of a Rodney fan. I think a lot of us sympathise and empathise with him because he such a self-imposed loner.

He can't allow himself to be loved because of fear of rejection, yet it's what he secretly craves and the fact that you guys wrote that into the story and ran with it, I thought that was brilliant. In fact, the culmination of that arc is what made me cry.

I think its really rare for authors to tune into readers emotions to that extent, so whatever you're doing, please continue. I can't wait for the next one.
                      Hi Ellara,

I'm really pleased you liked the characterisations. I've been fortunate enough to have talked with most of the actors about their characters, where they see them coming from and how they think they would react under certain circumstances. They're also aware that there isn't time in this sort of television show to delve deeply into emotional trauma, so it's fun for us, as we have that time. Exogenesis started with the idea of something David Hewlett said. McKay's irritating facade is defensive mechanism. He can deal with people disliking him because its not really 'him', but he's not capable of letting anyone inside to see the real person, because he could never stand having his true self rejected. It's a psych #101 stuff, so I posed the question, 'What if someone who saw through the facade to the man beneath offered him unconditional love?'

I actually wrote the Turpi scenes as one long piece prior to plotting out the rest of the story and sending the broad idea to Beth. At the same idea, Beth was writing our the Sheppard/Weir/Caldwell confrontation scenes, plus the Sheppard/Weir scenes and Carson's eulogy at the end, so one character piece led to another and then another, and the story evolved around how to set these up, crash them down, and resolve them.

The outcome was inevitable, of course. It's a little harder to write when your readers know from the outset that all of the characters and Atlantis must be re-set to zero, so we planted the characterisation on a (hopefully) unpredictable broader story with multiple plot twists.

cheers
                      Sonny
                      www.sonnywhitelaw.com

sigpic

Comment

Hey, Xfkirstin,

Marine mammal, care, huh? What are you planning on doing? Ceteaceans? pinnipeds? Ursus maritimus...seems apt for your neck of the woods? (For the rest of the class, Polar bears are classed as marine mammals). A good friend of mine runs Sea World on the Gold Coast here. (We worked on a world first recue operation of Delphinus delphus together in the face of...um...some shonky political problems.) We're currently looking at (and this is very early stages) books based on some of the rescues they've undertaken, fictionised as a sort of adventure series. Don't hold your breath, though as I got sidetracked writing Stargate .

As to cold water diving - totally understand. I gave up a wetsuit 28 years ago when I moved to Vanuatu. (http://www.divevanuatu.net). Had to put one on last week because we need to wear them in the shark lagoon at Sea World, but honestly, I'm a cold water wimp and won't even go surfing if I have to shoehorn my aging body into a wetsuit.

cheers
                        Cetaceans is definitely my ultimate goal - been obsessed with them since before I can remember. The zoo I'm interning at now has one beluga whale, and I love him to death! Killer whales have always been my favorite, and I think they'd be my dream animal to work with. But I gotta give love to bottlenose dolphins as well, since they were the species that I first remember falling in love with. After all, what child who grew up on reruns of Flipper didn't adore them? But for obvious reasons, the whale storyline of Atlantis has quickly become my favorite.

We do have four male polar bears as well, and they're probably my second favorite animals to work with. It's very humbling to be standing just a foot away on the other side of the fencing and realize how easily they could (and would - they're very aggressive, even for bears) kill you if they could get to you. Sometimes when we go to unlock the dens to shift them, they'll stick one claw through the bars just a few inches away, trying to hook your hand with it. It's rather unnerving! But they're so gorgeous, and completely adorable when they get their paws on a good toy. I'd love to take a trip up to Manitoba someday and see the bears there.

If you ever get that series written, I'd buy it in a heartbeat! My shelves are stuffed to the brim with whale and dolphin books of all types - I'm geeky enough that I own a copy of the CRC Handbook of Marine Mammal Medicine. The fact that I work in a new/used bookstore doesn't help either, because I tend to buy every whale/dolphin book that comes in. I've long since run out of room on my shelves, and they've spilled out across my floor! So you've already got one person lined up to buy copies!

I enjoy some of the marine life we have here - on my checkout dives, we went looking for giant Pacific octopus and sixgill sharks that were reported at that dive site. The sunflower stars the size of trashcan lids are fantastic. And wolf eels, of course, which are like puppy dogs, albeit the ugliest puppy dogs you've ever seen. Unfortunately, I've never learned how to use a drysuit, nor had the money to buy one. And even in a 7mm wetsuit, I was almost numb by the time I got out. What a relief it was the next time I went to Hawaii and only needed a 2mm shortie (and only an 8lb weight belt instead of 25lb!). I really need to get myself out to the tropical waters more often!
                        "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
                        My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

I've only just ordered this! I do hate being a poor college student.
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Hi GateByte

Sorry about the wait. Fandemonium are in the process of upgrading their North American distribution system. Hopefully Barnes and Noble retail outlets will soon have copies and by mid-late 2007 the NA merchandising and shipping system for all novels will be running smoothly. At the moment, I think all Stargate novels are being snapped up about as fast as they can get them out there, which is a good sign, if more than a little frustrating for those of you who can't get hold of a copy. I only recieved my own copies of Exogenesis about a week or so back, so it gives you an idea.
                            Ah, that makes sense. I managed to order a copy of it from stargatenovels.com and they shipped it out mid-last week so it'll probably be waiting for me at home when I head back there tomorrow evening . I just would have preferred if Amazon had been a bit quicker letting me know they couldn't fill my order.

Comment

Good news. I finished this several days ago, but I've only just gottena round to writing my review. I'll post it up soon.
                              sigpic
                              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Working...
                              X