PDA

View Full Version : Best Death in Sci-fi and Fantasy Tournament

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

CatGoddess
April 1st, 2007, 01:29 PM
Crais

Callista
April 1st, 2007, 02:42 PM
OK, I haven't seen the rest so I think I'll stop voting now. Thanks for another great tourny, Signal!

Trek_Girl42
April 1st, 2007, 03:22 PM
Round 46
Crais

Anubis69
April 1st, 2007, 03:32 PM
Aeryn to go

Gate Girl
April 1st, 2007, 04:48 PM
Round 46

Crais to go

aintright
April 1st, 2007, 08:38 PM
Buffy

teehee!!:jack_new15:

Thunderstorm
April 2nd, 2007, 12:40 AM
Round 46

Buffy Summers

Wordsmit2
April 2nd, 2007, 01:09 AM
Too bad it was the 2nd to last of the series and the last was a piece of crap and should be used as how not to kill of characters (or end a show).

Sounds like Forever Knight.

Wordsmit2
April 2nd, 2007, 01:14 AM
Round 46:

Aeryn Sun - Farscape - Die Me, Dichotomy

Naonak
April 2nd, 2007, 03:25 AM
Round 46
Aeryn

RealmOfX
April 2nd, 2007, 07:25 AM
Aeryn

The Signal
April 2nd, 2007, 09:27 AM
RESULTS

Aeryn Sun - Farscape - Die Me, Dichotomy – 4
Buffy Summers - Buffy the Vampire Slayer - The Gift – 3
Crais - Farscape – Into the Lion's Den, Part 2: Wolf in Sheep's Clothing – 6

Crais finishes FOURTH

Current List of Deaths:

Buffy Summers - Buffy the Vampire Slayer - The Gif
John Crichton - Infinite Possibilities, Pt 2: Icarus Abides

ROUND 47 (Third Place)
Buffy Summers to GO

dipsofjazz
April 2nd, 2007, 09:36 AM
Round 47

1. Aeryn Sun

Naonak
April 2nd, 2007, 09:37 AM
Round 47
Aeryn

Anubis69
April 2nd, 2007, 11:17 AM
Aeryn to go

Trek_Girl42
April 2nd, 2007, 12:36 PM
Round 47
Aeryn Sun

LoneStar1836
April 2nd, 2007, 12:52 PM
Round 47

John Crichton

:(:(

aintright
April 2nd, 2007, 02:45 PM
Buffy

ok thundy ... don't say i don't do anything for you ... you spock/boromir killer you!

Missster.Freeman
April 2nd, 2007, 03:27 PM
Round 47

Buffy Summers

kmiller1610
April 2nd, 2007, 04:56 PM
Buffy Summers - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

CatGoddess
April 2nd, 2007, 05:48 PM
Aeryn

Wordsmit2
April 2nd, 2007, 10:28 PM
Round 47:

Madeleine
April 3rd, 2007, 12:13 AM
Aeryn.

I'm having to nitpick now. Nothing wrong with that death, except that she came back good as new. Even the fact of her coming back is mitigated by the fact that a regular character did die in order for that to happen.

scifi_girl
April 3rd, 2007, 01:17 AM
Aeryn to go

Thunderstorm
April 3rd, 2007, 01:57 AM
1st the vote then the comments

Buffy Summers

Just finished watching Children of Men - way too depressing to recommend but I want to apologize for any votes I may have cast against Theo's death.

Buffy
ok thundy ... don't say i don't do anything for you ... you spock/boromir killer you!

Thanks, I really appreciate it. :) Give me a helping hand while you stab me in another tourney - You Beets and Turnip killer you!!! :D

Aeryn.

I'm having to nitpick now. Nothing wrong with that death, except that she came back good as new. Even the fact of her coming back is mitigated by the fact that a regular character did die in order for that to happen.
Well she was emotionally scarrred. Darn I was already to have Aeryn as my choice for winner and started thinking about her and realized I was thinking more how she was after John's death and now I may have to change my mind back again. :confused:

Celsius
April 3rd, 2007, 06:47 AM
Buffy to go...

Never thought I'd be saying that!

The Signal
April 3rd, 2007, 09:21 AM
RESULTS

Aeryn Sun - Farscape - Die Me, Dichotomy - 8
Buffy Summers - Buffy the Vampire Slayer - 6
John Crichton - 1

Aeryn Sun finishes in THIRD PLACE

This is it, the final round.

Buffy Summers vs John Crichton

Both the main characters in their respective series, both killed off in brilliant style.

For me, Buffy's death was tainted by her actually coming back, it made her sacrifice pointless, so it has to be:

ROUND FORTY EIGHT (FINAL ROUND)
John Crichton to WIN
Buffy to GO

aintright
April 3rd, 2007, 09:43 AM
buffy to go!!

Naonak
April 3rd, 2007, 09:44 AM
For me, Buffy's death was tainted by her actually coming back, it made her sacrifice pointless
Well, there was another Crichton...

Final Round

Buffy to WIN.
Crichton to GO.

Trek_Girl42
April 3rd, 2007, 09:46 AM
Round 48
Buffy to win!
John Crichton to go!

Trek_Girl42
April 3rd, 2007, 09:49 AM
I didn't think Buffy's sacrifice was pointless at all- unlike most of the characters on the list, she was actually ready to die, in that moment on top of the tower she completely made peace with herself, her life, and what she was meant to do, and that was a really amazing moment. As for coming back, she was the rare exception, she didn't want to be back, she wanted to stay dead, and the fact that she had made peace with herself before she died, and had actually been ready was so important later on in the show. Made for some pretty heartbreaking stuff.

Missster.Freeman
April 3rd, 2007, 09:53 AM
Final Round

Crichton to win!
Buffy for second place.

Trek_Girl. You nearly had me changing my vote there.

Trek_Girl42
April 3rd, 2007, 10:04 AM
Trek_Girl. You nearly had me changing my vote there.
Nearly......well, I guess that's better then not nearly. :D

kmiller1610
April 3rd, 2007, 12:16 PM
John Crichton to WIN
Buffy to GO

( I just love voting for things I've never even seen)

LoneStar1836
April 3rd, 2007, 01:25 PM
Round 48

Buffy to win!
John Crichton to go!

I love both characters and between the two, Crichton is my favorite. Even though I knew there was a second identical Crichton, it made his death nonetheless moving, especially considering that that John had finally attained a sense of peace and happiness in his life only to accidentally sacrifice himself. :(

Buffy's death...well Trek_Girl did a nice job. I find her death more powerful. When I first saw this one, I was not an avid BtVS watcher. I had yet to discover the greatness of Joss. This episode was actually the first Buffy ep I remember watching...I think...I wasn't a fan from the beginning and had to go back and catch up on the series and of course fell in love with it and when I got around to viewing that ep again it had much more of an impact because I understood it better. Sure she sacrificed herself to save the world but ultimately she did it to save one person and one person only...her sister (plus you have to take into account the whole backstory of the sister and how she came to be, etc.). Her death was more noble, imo. Death was her gift.

Mr Prophet
April 3rd, 2007, 02:25 PM
Round 49

Oh my god! How can a mere mortal choose? (Even I have trouble!)

Well, if I must:

Buffy to win, because of the way everything in the season dovetailed to that moment. Crichton's death was astonishing TV, but for me, Buffy has a tiny, tiny edge.

dipsofjazz
April 3rd, 2007, 03:00 PM
Round 48

Buffy to win!

Anubis69
April 3rd, 2007, 03:35 PM
Crichton to win.

CatGoddess
April 3rd, 2007, 05:45 PM
Buffy to win
Crichton to finish second

Madeleine
April 3rd, 2007, 10:37 PM
Buffy to win.

Yes, it was an imperfect death because it wasn't permanent, but ultimately that was a strength: how many newly un-killed characters besides Buffy ever wanted to stay dead, and missed the Heaven they'd gone to? That was really original.

Crichton's was good, but there was a spare of him, and while it had a huge impact on aeryn and made her icy to the other John, it didn't have much resonance beyond that. Not compared to Buffy, anyway.

Wordsmit2
April 4th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Round 48

Buffy to win
John Crichton to go

Thunderstorm
April 4th, 2007, 12:53 AM
And I thought I was going to have to agonize between voting for John or Aeryn, so this is a pretty easy vote.

John Crichton to WIN!!

Buffy to Go!

RealmOfX
April 4th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Buffy to win

mckaychick
April 4th, 2007, 07:30 AM
buffy to go crichton to win

scifi_girl
April 4th, 2007, 09:49 AM
buffy to win
crichton to go

The Signal
April 4th, 2007, 10:04 AM
RESULTS

Buffy - 10
Crichton - 7

Which means that BUFFY SUMMERS is the WINNER
Chrichton therefore finishes SECOND

Thanks for takin park folks, I always enjoy running these. Unfortunately, I'm having to call off the upcoming "Best Character" tourney, the next two months are going to be very hectic for me, with exams starting very soon, I can't commit to GW or anything that isn't revising or working. I'll still be around here, but as you may or may not have noticed, my presence on GW up until this last week has been mostly in this thread, and the ships tourney, and I can't promise that I won't vanish for however long without notice, so, either someone takes over, and does the tournament on their own, or, you guys can wait until the end of June, by which time it'll all be over and I'll be able to commit a lot more time to things other than school. It's up to you, though if you run it yourselves, I suggest you get help from another person or two, I was going to ask when I was planning it for help, 'twas looking to be at least 200 characters caried over from the heroes and villains tourneys, plus god knows how many others nominated in, probably looking at.... 350? In short, it'd take about a year to do.

Thanks again, it's been fun :)

Missster.Freeman
April 4th, 2007, 10:30 AM
That was a bit of a surprise. It looked as though Crichton was leading the last time I looked through the votes.

Yeah, I think it would be best to start the new tourney after the summer. You would definitely need a helping hand if you or someone else decides to take on a tournament of that size.

Thanks for yet another brilliant tourney. You and Celsius (gotta give a shout-out) are undoubtedly the tournament masters on GateWorld.

Good luck and all the best for your upcoming exams, Sig. :)

dipsofjazz
April 4th, 2007, 01:21 PM
That was a bit of a surprise. It looked as though Crichton was leading the last time I looked through the votes.

Yeah, I think it would be best to start the new tourney after the summer. You would definitely need a helping hand if you or someone else decides to take on a tournament of that size.

Thanks for yet another brilliant tourney. You and Celsius (gotta give a shout-out) are undoubtedly the tournament masters on GateWorld.

Good luck and all the best for your upcoming exams, Sig. :)

:D I was going to say all sorts of wonderful things, but since MF has said everything I wanted to say, I'll just post "Ditto". :P

Thanks for a wonderful tourney, and good luck with the exams.

(I can wait until the summer for the next extravaganza ) :D

The Signal
April 4th, 2007, 01:26 PM
I'll be honest, it looked like it was going to be a clear win for Crichton when I was taking the votes in, but somehow Buffy ended up on top (though it was quite close).

I think a tourney of 300+ nominees, you'd need about 3 people minimum, and even then we'd be stretched thin. If it indeed comes to me heading it up, I've got a few ideas on who I'd ask, but I'd look for volunteers as well, heck, could be a tourney in itself "Person to run the next tournament tournament" :D

And thanks for the wishes of good luck :)

Trek_Girl42
April 4th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Yay Buffy! Those were two great deaths, it definitly deserved to be close, great tournament Signal! Good luck with your exams. :) Definitely looking forward to the summer.

Anubis69
April 4th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Cheers Signal. Another awesome tournie.

Best of luck with the exams etc. I'm sure they'll all go groin-grabbingly well!

kmiller1610
April 4th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Signal....

You are a prince. Thanks for all your hard work. Best of luck with your future.

CatGoddess
April 4th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks for running this tournament, Signal. :) Good luck with your exams.

aintright
April 4th, 2007, 06:33 PM
As always "sig" twas great ... and thanks be to yah!!!!;)

best of luck with all!!!

ainty!~!

scifi_girl
April 5th, 2007, 04:49 AM
Yay for Buffy. Thanks for a great tournament Signal

mckaychick
April 5th, 2007, 01:27 PM
great tourney!